NYK's better without Melo???

6 replies to this topic

#1 notnilc20

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

I don't know either but seems like the Knicks were gellin much better with Lin and Stoudemire and company. Melo seems to kind of deflate them. The record with and without him (Melo) is hard to ignore. and you saw how the Knicks played before Lin blew up and it was just Stoudemire and Anthony......they were horrible. not to mention....look at how good the Nuggets are this season w/o Melo.

I know New Yorkers aren't happy right now.

What do you think ??

#2 Acehigh718

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,209 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

As a New Yorker, I'm not happy right now. Then again I was one of the few that was outraged when I saw what the Knicks gave up to get him in the first place. Despite his struggles against our team, Gallinari is a heck of a player, and Wilson Chandler is one of the most versatile players I have ever seen. Carmelo, as I said in a thread on the main forum is fool's gold. Not a team player, and not good enough of an all around player in his own right to warrant that kind of attitude. IMO he brings nothing to the table outside of being able to hit tough shots. He also seems pretty **** bitter about all the Lin hype and the cynic in me thinks he's dogging it out there until Linsanity goes away.

#3 notnilc20

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

yeah....I agree....he's not a team player. Watching the Knicks without Melo they (the entire team) was all over the court, playing hard nose Bball and reminded me of the Grizzlies a lot. But now that he's back (Melo), Lin can't play the way he needs to in order to distribute the ball and score, so he just dribbles the ball down and feeds Melo the ball in the post. They seemed to be much more dynamic when Melo wasn't there.

Knicks 2-8 with Melo back in and 6 losses in a row. Should they be looking at a trade? Can you imagine Howard, Stoudamire, Lin, Fields, and anyname??

#4 GrizzedByBluffCity

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,229 posts
  • Interests:** Please DO NOT REPLY to this computer generated e-mail. **

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

It's been 9 years since Melo left a team and they were worse for it (Syracuse). Even Team USA is better without Melo.

#5 GrizzedByBluffCity

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,229 posts
  • Interests:** Please DO NOT REPLY to this computer generated e-mail. **

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

http://www.cbssports...-let-lin-go/rss

They're screwing up because they're letting Jeremy Lin go.
See, this is a Jeremy Lin thing, a Linsanity thing, a marketing thing, a young point guard thing, an unknown ceiling thing.

This "journalist" has his heart in the right place (bashing NYK organization, which it much deserves), but he doesn't fully appreciate the train wreck that's been perpetually crashing subway cars off the rails for more than a decade now. It's common flaw of human reasoning to focus on just the evidence before them. I don't think the writer is stupid; he wouldn't be in this distinguished position if he was dumb, but he is certainly exposing a weakness of his research and grasp of the Knicks history through his ill-founded conclusions.

The Knicks are SMART to let Jeremy Lin go. That's the reality of their crisis. They went for the superstars with untenable contracts for the "throw a ton of money at the problem and win now" approach to acquiring dilettantes Carmelo Anthony, Tyson Chandler, and Amare Stoudamire. All their money and resources and gambles have been made on those 3 players. You don't get in life the chance to make myriad mistakes and then continue throwing money at other players to bail you out. At some point after overspending and living off of future gains (that do not materialize) you have to take your losses, accept them, and live lower than your means, so you can pay off your debts. By spending also exorbitant money on Jeremy Lin they would conflate the cancerous, unbridled dysfunction of the contracts they've already offered to underperforming superstars time and time again. Now is the time to start Ray Felton and let the contracts play out of those frauds like Amare, Chandler, and Carmelo (Acehigh718 poignantly used the term, fool's gold, to describe Melo). I'm sure Portland will buy out Jared Jeffries and he'll be right back in a Knicks uniform anyway. YOu also pay the penalty for hiring thugs like JR Smith. You made the bed you must lie in.

so for their sake hopefully Lin is just adequate in Houston but irregardless he played himself out of New York and deserves a greener pasture now. I'm not sure how that writer doesn't see the simple truth of this situation in a city that worships star power over wins and losses... we're not talking about a "basketball team" we're talking about an entertainment club that masquerades as a professional sports organization.

#6 Father Pat

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • Interests:The Memphis Grizzlies.

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

This year will be the 40th anniversary season of the last Knicks championship. Melo is just doing his part to keep that streak going.

#7 Subliminal

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:10 AM

View PostGrizzedByDeath, on 18 July 2012 - 08:06 AM, said:

http://www.cbssports...-let-lin-go/rss

This "journalist" has his heart in the right place (bashing NYK organization, which it much deserves), but he doesn't fully appreciate the train wreck that's been perpetually crashing subway cars off the rails for more than a decade now. It's common flaw of human reasoning to focus on just the evidence before them. I don't think the writer is stupid; he wouldn't be in this distinguished position if he was dumb, but he is certainly exposing a weakness of his research and grasp of the Knicks history through his ill-founded conclusions.

The Knicks are SMART to let Jeremy Lin go. That's the reality of their crisis. They went for the superstars with untenable contracts for the "throw a ton of money at the problem and win now" approach to acquiring dilettantes Carmelo Anthony, Tyson Chandler, and Amare Stoudamire. All their money and resources and gambles have been made on those 3 players. You don't get in life the chance to make myriad mistakes and then continue throwing money at other players to bail you out. At some point after overspending and living off of future gains (that do not materialize) you have to take your losses, accept them, and live lower than your means, so you can pay off your debts. By spending also exorbitant money on Jeremy Lin they would conflate the cancerous, unbridled dysfunction of the contracts they've already offered to underperforming superstars time and time again. Now is the time to start Ray Felton and let the contracts play out of those frauds like Amare, Chandler, and Carmelo (Acehigh718 poignantly used the term, fool's gold, to describe Melo). I'm sure Portland will buy out Jared Jeffries and he'll be right back in a Knicks uniform anyway. YOu also pay the penalty for hiring thugs like JR Smith. You made the bed you must lie in.

so for their sake hopefully Lin is just adequate in Houston but irregardless he played himself out of New York and deserves a greener pasture now. I'm not sure how that writer doesn't see the simple truth of this situation in a city that worships star power over wins and losses... we're not talking about a "basketball team" we're talking about an entertainment club that masquerades as a professional sports organization.

Very good post, sir.