[ncaa] Selection Sunday Watch - Where will the tigers end up?

27 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

I wonder how much of Damon's influence is on Pastner's construction of the tigers and by extension the principles hollins has instilled in him.

Joe Jackson is like a mini Mike Conley, Tarik Black is Marc Gasol and Will Barton is Rudy Gay. Crawford does his TA impersonation. And Wesley is OJ Mayo. heheheh

#2 ebevan91

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

View PostKevin B Moses, on 10 March 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

I wonder how much of Damon's influence is on Pastner's construction of the tigers and by extension the principles hollins has instilled in him.

Joe Jackson is like a mini Mike Conley, Tarik Black is Marc Gasol and Will Barton is Rudy Gay. Crawford does his TA impersonation. And Wesley is OJ Mayo. heheheh

If you mean former good player who turned to **** and got benched permanently, then yea.

#3 new_skool91

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

Glad the Tigers are having success and that Damon is having a positive influence. There is some knock on the Tigers coaching staff because of their youth. Another C-USA title is nothing to snort at and good for the entire Tiger basketball organization. I'm looking forward to them making some noise in the Tourney!

#4 TheProof

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

Remember the days when the entire city just knew that the Tigers could probably beat the Grizzlies...glad those days are over.

#5 Wells

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,758 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

View PostTheProof, on 10 March 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

Remember the days when the entire city just knew that the Tigers could probably beat the Grizzlies...glad those days are over.
Well, you do have to remember, in those days, the Tigers' lineup was older than the Grizzlies lineup and had had more experience playing for pay.

#6 Grizz'dOutThreader

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

View PostWells, on 10 March 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

Well, you do have to remember, in those days, the Tigers' lineup was older than the Grizzlies lineup and had had more experience playing for pay.
tottaly true man....

#7 notnilc20

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

View PostTheProof, on 10 March 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

The Tigers could never beat the Grizzlies....even when the Tigers were on top and the Grizzlies on the bottom. The level of play between College and NBA is more than what people think. I heard that comment a few times too. "I bet Memphis State (they always say "Memphis State") could beat the Grizzlies." Just b/c the Tigers beat up on Tulane doesn't mean they can beat an NBA team.

Seriously, I know the Tigers were a great college team and made the Final game, but come on.....

#8 Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:59 AM

Does anybody else think Josh Pastner goes overboard with his nice guy act. Yesterday he was flailing his arms in the final possession to make sure everybody sees that he is telling the team not to take the final shot. You can be a nice guy without being so in your face about it.

#9 El Lobo

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:11 AM

Come on Kevin! This thread belongs in the OFF TOPIC forum.

#10 Griz Nizzle In Da Hizzle

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

View PostKevin B Moses, on 11 March 2012 - 07:59 AM, said:

Does anybody else think Josh Pastner goes overboard with his nice guy act. Yesterday he was flailing his arms in the final possession to make sure everybody sees that he is telling the team not to take the final shot. You can be a nice guy without being so in your face about it.

I think the only people he was sending a message to were the 5 guys on the floor. Who would blame a scrub for wanting to put up a shot? Who would blame a scrub for not being aware the game clock exceeded the shot clock? Who would blame a scrub for taking the ball to the hole when the opponent is trapping down 20? I'd lay 5-1 odds a shot would have gone up had Pastner not repeatedly made it clear not to. Considering the white kid actually started making a move toward the rim after several previous orders, I seriously doubt that was for anybody's benefit but the players on the floor who aren't used to being on the floor.

Is this thread serious? Because I fail to see how Stoudmire had any influence on the roster when every player on it was there before he was.

#11 Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

I say the tigers might get a 7th seed. I know Pastner is angling for a 5th seed, but I don't see it. If the tigers get a 6th seed I think they've exceeded expectations since they lost to just about every ranked team.

#12 TheProof

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

View PostKevin B Moses, on 11 March 2012 - 07:59 AM, said:

Its sportsmanship, and he does that EVERY GAME that the team has a blowout win. He MAKES SURE his team does not exhibit poor sportsmanship. There was a game earlier in the season where I think it was D.J. Stephens went for a slam dunk when the team was up by double figures and could have just held the ball...Pastner went APE SH*T!

If there's 3 minutes left on the clock and the team is up 30, he lets them go crazy and do whatever they want. But once there's 35 seconds or less on the clock, they better not even think about trying to score.

Its not a "nice guy act". Its to make sure his team shows class and doesn't beat the dead horse.

#13 Granttis

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts
  • Interests:Salmon & Mashed Potatoes

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

Tigers won't make the Sweet 16

#14 Grizz'dOutThreader

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

View PostKevin B Moses, on 10 March 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

i thought this was the GRIZZLIES fan boards, not the tigers......

#15 STS

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:NBA,NFL,MLB,NHL.

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:06 PM

Before winning the C-USA tournament, I saw Memphis in the same field as Kentucky as the 8th seed. Which would of meant we would have been potentially been playing UK in the second round. But we bumped up to like a 6 seed possibly

#16 SC Grizz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

View PostGranttis, on 11 March 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

Tigers won't make the Sweet 16

This.

Provided - it is all about match-ups. The Tigers do not have enough depth in the front court. If we play a team with some talented bigs we are done. That kid Maymon from UT went bananas on us earlier in the year.

What happened with Black's injury? If he is out I wouldn't be surprised if we get knocked out first round.

#17 Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

That's some bull****

#18 BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

8th seed is about right. I had them getting a 7th seed.

People complaining about seeding, but look at the Tigers record against the RPI top 50. What do they have? 1 win? I'll rather them have a lower seed and prove their doubters wrong, than be given a higher seed only to lose in the 1st round anyway. They were rewarded a top 10 ranking prior the season and we see how that turned out.

I like their matchup against St. Louis and possibly Michigan State, if they get to them.

#19 Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

View PostBHZMAFIA, on 11 March 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

8th seed is about right. I had them getting a 7th seed.

People complaining about seeding, but look at the Tigers record against the RPI top 50. What do they have? 1 win? I'll rather them have a lower seed and prove their doubters wrong, than be given a higher seed only to lose in the 1st round anyway. They were rewarded a top 10 ranking prior the season and we see how that turned out.

I like their matchup against St. Louis and possibly Michigan State, if they get to them.

Louisville getting a number 4 is not deserved.

#20 memphian901

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,287 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

I'm a BIG Tiger fan. TIGER fan first, GRIZZ fan second ... but BOTH are my teams. I'm from the city of MEMPHIS and a graduate of the UofM, and the TIGERS have always been part of MEMPHIS. This thread definitely needs to be in off topic, since it riles up so many folks - even with a thread title stated as such "[ncaa]", some folks will still chime in and moan/groan.

I'm a moderator at the biggest Memphis Tigers messageboards and I think I've mentioned it a couple of times here, we got a sub-forum just for the GRIZZ, since we obviously have fans of both teams. But YES, it's definitely off-topic ...

If you're interested, check out these links:

Tigers forum here: http://csnbbs.com/fo...lay.php?fid=446
The Grindhouse forum (within our Tigers forum): http://csnbbs.com/fo...lay.php?fid=722