5 replies to this topic

#1 Memphicity Design

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts
  • Interests:MemphisShirt.com

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

Man this was horrible. The whole gimmick thing they do now sucks. Chase Buddinger is the only contestant I've even heard of. And none of the dunks were that impressive.

Did anyone notice how when whoever was trying the off backboard under the leg dunk after about 10 tries his time was running out but they kept stopping the clock to let him keep trying. AWFUL

#2 BnaBreaker

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,388 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:01 AM

I agree that it was pretty underwhelming, and the whole prop thing is getting out of control. However, I thought it was far better than the 2010 Dunk Contest. That one was just awful.

#3 GrizzedByBluffCity

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,229 posts
  • Interests:** Please DO NOT REPLY to this computer generated e-mail. **

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

as little as I care, I find it ridiculous how every year they do a dunk tribute to someone that dunked before them. This year it was Karl Malone and Cedric Ceballos. First of all, Ceballos was a middle of the road player. Second, Jeremy Evans isn't like a Jazz star player. He's end of the bench. I dont' think he's worthy of that. Next year he may be in the DLeague. I hope he got to keep that Malone jersey. The Rudy Fernandez Spanish guy tribute was so dumb I thought they would hold off on doing that again for a long while but they do it even more. They give up on creativity.

If only Iman Shumpert was not injured he surely would have won the title even if the dunk sucked. I think we all know that. And they could put a picture of Jeremy Lin on the front page everywhere saying he assisted the dunk FTW.

I always thought the blindfold dunk was stupid and the guy could see right through it. But Budinger's dunk looked like he really had planned it out without looking - not bad! I was convinced.

#4 Memphicity Design

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts
  • Interests:MemphisShirt.com

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

if you have to come out and explain your dunk before doing it, it sucks. Just do an awesome dunk without all the crap!

#5 notnilc20

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:11 AM

View PostGrizzedBy2012, on 27 February 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

I always thought the blindfold dunk was stupid and the guy could see right through it. But Budinger's dunk looked like he really had planned it out without looking - not bad! I was convinced.

The Budinger dunk was an act too IMHO. I think he just faked the first one (acted like he couldn't see) and then the whole getting behind him and cheering him on was all part of the act. Creative.....but let's face it.....truly unable to see is just impossible running and jumping and putting the ball through the rim and he also did a reverse slam........come on now.

Anyway, the college slam dunk contest is much better than the NBA these recent years.

#6 Minarae

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:59 AM

I think the dunk contest lost substance because they mainly focused on the money-making capacity of the dunk contest. Fan voting right at the first round? come on now.

There shouldve been judges to score it as usual. It's an integral part of the event.