How to meet the players?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Dire Wolf

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

Ok, this is my first post here. I enjoy the board, and I am confident that I will get the advice that I seek.

I watch every game with my 4 year old son. His name is Gabe, and his favorite player is Tony Allen. My son wants to meet the players, particulary Tony.

Any suggestions? When and where do the players conduct a meet and greet?

#2 Dire Wolf

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

I intended to post this in the 'Team Talk' forum. Mods please move. Thank you...

#3 Gone Fishing

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

I'm quite sure someone on this board can offer up some good pointers to you. I think somehow if you can arrive early for games or the shooter around you might have a chance. If you can sit behind the bench which those tickets are probably $350 and up, it's worth it if your son is truly a fan of one of the players. I think that's the best indirect route to meeting those players and most of the time they are pretty nice when it comes to taking a pic with a fan especially for the kids. You could always try twitter and tweet TA. Just be honest and tell him your son is one of his biggest fans and if you come to a game would he mine signing an autograph if you sit behind the bench. I'm sure TA will do this for you or any fan. Best of luck.

Mr. Stephen Aye

#4 Gone Fishing

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:23 PM

On a second note if you know someone who has connections to the players that helps too. Like I know someone in the media who actually interview those guys, so meeting them for me is a little easier but I had a chance to meet a few players, Tim Duncan, Dirk was real nice, Battier is always cool, I had a connection on the Mavs and was able to meet several former Grizzlies players...I haven't met any of the current team players.

#5 GrizzaretheBizz

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

One thing I've always considered doing is waiting outside the parking lot entrance when they have practice. One of the players usually tweet "On the way to practice", so what I would do is go down and wait outside the entrance with a sign. Tony will most likely be nice about it. He'll probably take a picture of y'all and tweet it.

#6 Dire Wolf

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. My boy hasn't taken off his TA jersey for days..........he's a little ripe. LOL. Splurging for seats behind the bench would be fun, but we're lucky to make it to a few games a year, usually in the cheap seats. I'm going to try tweeting TA.

Thanks again guys and Go Grizz!

#7 Dire Wolf

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

I found this link to contact Tony in case anyone else here is interested.

#8 El Lobo

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

All the above suggestions are good.

A "Dire Wolf". El Lobo has met a few of those. LOL!

#9 GrizzedByBluffCity

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,264 posts
  • Interests:** Please DO NOT REPLY to this computer generated e-mail. **

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

preseason camp is only way i've found them approachable and happy to greet fans. during season they are grumpy and busy

#10 Dire Wolf

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

I haven't had any luck yet. Maybe they will do a meet and greet sometime during the all star break?

#11 Grizzled Vet

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

You might be able to hit some malls at see Hasheem Thabeet....well, a few years ago you could.

Actually, you might consider following TA on twitter.

#12 GrizzGrrl

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Interests:All things Grizzlies, FedExForum and the web. I believe in this team and my city.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

We host a few events each year where there's an opportunity to see the players and possibly get an autograph. Due to the response, we usually have to limit autographs (i.e. first 500 fans). Typically, the season starts with an Open Practice that may feature limited autograph signings. In Dec. we host an annual Holiday Toy Drive that includes the entire team - fans bring a new toy donation for MIFA and get an autograph. We also host Open House(s) at FedExForum where a player or two may be present. Check Grizzlies.com and specifically our promotions page for events like this. We also keep fans up to date through email, Facebook, Twitter and Google+.

The best way to get a little extra hang time with players is to become a Season Ticket Holder. Each year, we host an MVP Party where (weather permitting) our MVPs get to spend time with our players, playing putt-putt, riding go-karts, etc. If the weather is bad, this event typically becomes an autograph signing event.

I hope this helps!