11-10

Hawks

16-6

Date & Time: Thursday, February 2, 6:30 pm CST
Television: SportSouth, NBA LP/LPBB/LPM
Radio/Audio: 92.9FM, 680AM, Affiliates, NBA ALP/GT
Watch Party: Blind Bear

Benches

Grizzlies Darrell Arthur Dante Cunningham Josh Davis Hamed Haddadi O.J. Mayo Jeremy Pargo Quincy Pondexter Zach Randolph Josh Selby Sam Young

#2 Acehigh718

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

GnG. They've got a great record, but only three of those wins were against good teams (MIA, Portland, Chicago), two of which they still had Horford for. The rest were mop ups of Charlotte, Washington, and the like. We could definitely come out of Phillips with a W... just gotta keep on the grind.

I'll probably get flamed for the randomness, but an x-factor for me is to look out for Ivan Johnson off the bench. He is the type of player that could be a nightmare for us on the block. Speights doesn't have the grind factor to bang with him, and Cunningham lacks the girth. The Hawks don't play him very consistently, so hopefully they'll keep him on the bench for most of this one.

#3 GrizzliesIQYO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,846 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

8 playoff teams in a row...lets see how we fair...the hawks are beatable..

YO

#4 GTG

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:32 PM

Definitely a winnable game. I think we'll play well.

#5 ItIsWhatItIs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:55 PM

start Cunningham, Smith would completely take Speights out of the game after 5 minutes anyways.

#6 costarica2

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts
  • Interests:Boobs

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:06 PM

I wonder if the OJ at PG was just because of Miller or is it gonna be a every game thing.

#7 GTG

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:33 PM

View Postcostarica2, on 31 January 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

I wonder if the OJ at PG was just because of Miller or is it gonna be a every game thing.
I think it had more to do with lack of production from Selby/Pargo.

I think the FO should seriously consider a move for a new backup PG. The team really looks flat when Conley comes out of the game. Selby is simply underdeveloped (and not a 1 guard anyways, IMO) and the promise we saw from Pargo those first couple of games has vanished.

#8 Granttis

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts
  • Interests:Salmon & Mashed Potatoes

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:08 AM

I hope we see it more but I think it was more to do with Miller being a big guard and a better matchup for OJ.

As for this game, I hope we can pull out the win (duh) but for some reason we always struggle against ATL. Horford being out could change our fortunes.

#9 BeastModeGrizz

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

I hope it is an every game thing to develop OJ into a backup PG and Selby can be with him on the floor at the same time so they can be interchangeable depending on how the game is flowing and it can also mislead opposing teams. I am going to say it... i think we will win by 5 on this one :)

#10 T.O.

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

If Tony doesn't let his out of control offense get in the way of what he needs to do on defense then he should have no problem shutting down Johnson.

Josh Smith will probably have a big game, but I don't think it'll be enough to beat us if we limit the other guys.. which leads me to my keys to this game: Conley must outplay Teague and OJ must at least match T-mac.

If these things happen and Marc and Rudy (depending on which Rudy shows up) have decent games, we'll win.

#11 grizzly grit

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:20 AM

12-game win streak!

#12 CoachHesam

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  • Interests:3.5% APR

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:24 AM

Contain Joe Johnson & Josh Smith & Jeff Teague and Grizz will have a chance, these 3 are good for 46 points by themselves. Grizz will outrebound them by a few. Al Horford will hit the boards too so it'll be tough for Grizz to defend all 4 and they possibly will lead Grizz in points in the first quarter 28-20 or so. They'll put Collins on Marc but he's easy to handle Pachulia is tougher and stronger if he gets the job.
It's a close game, all depends on how Grizz takes care of Johnson. I would have Grizz players attack the basket and get Johnson in foul trouble.

Update: 33-31 Atlanta in 2nd quarter. Grizz is containing JJ pretty good, I'm hopeful!

#13 GrizzedByBluffCity

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:** Please DO NOT REPLY to this computer generated e-mail. **

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:03 AM

OJ would match up with Heinrich nicely and keep TA9 on JJ.

#14 Once_a_hater

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

View PostGTG, on 31 January 2012 - 11:33 PM, said:

I think it had more to do with lack of production from Selby/Pargo.

I think the FO should seriously consider a move for a new backup PG. The team really looks flat when Conley comes out of the game. Selby is simply underdeveloped (and not a 1 guard anyways, IMO) and the promise we saw from Pargo those first couple of games has vanished.

I hate when ppl can't admit some things... I was a Conley hater and I said that with his mental weakness he never would become a starting pg. And last year he devolop into this type of player. He is NO CP3; but he is good. Now OJ played great... (I think LH made that based on machup and because he has nothing better - so if he do not play him he would loose) set some ppl and play under control; most of the ppl in the board can't admit he can devolop into a pg... and can be used there by now.
LH was wrong. He was wrong about OJ and he is slowling admitting that. To tell the truth I don't mind if OJ is playing pg or sg but he need the ball in his hands and he plays better this way. Yeah he is TO prone, but most of the players in the league are... they need some time to adjust that part of the game before breakout as players in the league.

I always said that if we would OJ better, give the ball in his hands and design plays for him special pick and rolls and pick and pops he would become a insane weapon is this league. Now that he devolop his D and is slowly adjusting to this sixthman role he can be the player that make the difference to we get the W in a lot of games.

#15 Once_a_hater

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

Difficult game but I believe we ould win if we bring the energy for the 4th quarter. Just wish we play better game.

#16 STS

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:NBA,NFL,MLB,NHL.

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

I think our 4th quarter line up of Mike, OJ, Allen, Rudy, Gasol would matchup well with their line up. TA will keep Joe Johnson in check, and Rudy, Speights, or Dante will have to man up on Josh Smith. Josh Smith has advantages over anybody we put on him.Rudy and Dante dont have the strength and Speights will probably be blown by. One of my favorite players ever is T-Mac but i think our defense will smother him

#17 LilFrontOffice

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

View PostHesam, on 01 February 2012 - 03:24 AM, said:

Contain Joe Johnson & Josh Smith & Jeff Teague and Grizz will have a chance, these 3 are good for 46 points by themselves. Grizz will outrebound them by a few. Al Horford will hit the boards too so it'll be tough for Grizz to defend all 4 and they possibly will lead Grizz in points in the first quarter 28-20 or so. They'll put Collins on Marc but he's easy to handle Pachulia is tougher and stronger if he gets the job.
It's a close game, all depends on how Grizz takes care of Johnson. I would have Grizz players attack the basket and get Johnson in foul trouble.

Al Horford is out if I'm not mistaken.

#18 GTG

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,375 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

The Hawks really annoy me in the same say Portland does. Despite injuries and a seemingly mid-level roster (in terms of talent) they always manage to beat the odds and put up an impressive amount of wins. Yet as is the same with the Blazers, they become completely irrelevant as soon as the Playoffs start. I hate it when teams that arent true contenders take up Playoff spots.

#19 GrizzedByBluffCity

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:** Please DO NOT REPLY to this computer generated e-mail. **

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

View PostGTG, on 01 February 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

The Hawks really annoy me in the same say Portland does. Despite injuries and a seemingly mid-level roster (in terms of talent) they always manage to beat the odds and put up an impressive amount of wins. Yet as is the same with the Blazers, they become completely irrelevant as soon as the Playoffs start. I hate it when teams that arent true contenders take up Playoff spots.

or maybe those players are underrated? Portland and Atlanta have been to the 2nd round many times. Remember the Oklahmoa City team we are seeing as the #1 team in the league right now was the same team pretty much that once had a 21 game losing streak. It's amazing what a system and chemistry and growth as a team can do for a squad. And consistency! They say every night the NBA is so talented any team can win. It's about doing it consistently as much as having superstars that can dunk over Kendrick Perkins or put up 20 and 20 (Varajaao!??!?) Everyone can play in this league. But not everyone can WIN WIN WIN WIN --- Grizz just have to BELIEVE!!!

#20 CoachHesam

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  • Interests:3.5% APR

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

View Postlilrudygay, on 01 February 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

Al Horford is out if I'm not mistaken.

True, I don't see him at Toronto game, he must be out, 1 less to worry about. Joe Johnson is enough.