421 replies to this topic

#261 notnilc20

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:20 AM

View Postalwilson, on 13 April 2012 - 09:48 PM, said:

WOW... I only read one article but great find.

It would be a dream come true if they enforced this. I wonder what happened for them not to?

Chris Paul, Fake Griffin, Tony Parker, Manu (his bald spot had 4 flops alone last night) all would have suspensions this season if they did this.

You forgot Derek Fisher.....They should at get a foul called on them for flopping. Maybe even a technical or "Intentional flopping" call. It would really make the game better and people would have to actually play defense on the fast break instead of a cop out with the flop out.

#262 Herodotus

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:24 AM

View PostGTG, on 12 April 2012 - 10:51 PM, said:

It definitely wasn't the worst reffed game I've seen this year, but it's frustrating when our guys have to get hit 3 or 4 times before a whistle sounds and then on the other end, they make a ton of "ticky-tack" calls and fall for nearly every one of SA's flops.

If the officiating just for Rudy - and ONLY Rudy - were consistent, it would make a tremendous difference for our team. Based on the way games are reffed on our defensive end, Rudy gets "fouled" probably close to half the times he attacks the basket, and that's not very much of an exaggeration. There are so many freaking times when he takes the ball strong and gets bumped or pushed as he makes his initial move. That should be a foul, because it so dramatically effects everything that happens after that. When we do that, we get called the majority of the time. Then there are plenty of times when he'll take contact again, usually as he's going up, a second foul that doesn't get called very often. Then, when he's finishing, it's rare that anyone is actually near him. When someone is, he will usually get a foul call when it is a real foul. But, I think this is basically why Rudy doesn't get the calls he deserves - refs look for the expected contact at the point of finishing. He's so athletic, he's usually finishing cleanly, with the defense not really having a chance to block or make a play. So, the defense bumps, bodies, holds, rakes, and slaps him as he's making his move, to prevent him from getting by. This is where he's getting fouled all the time and it isn't whistled nearly enough. Too many times he ends up in an awkward position that is tough to finish from because he has been fouled on the initial move. And when that's happening, Rudy has a tendency to get timid taking it to the basket, because the refs are letting all the contact go. So, instead he'll pull up for a jumper, because he knows he can at least get it off cleanly.

Case in point was his tremendously clutch baseline layup at the end of the Clippers game. He got bumped on the initial move, so that he almost stepped on the out of bounds line, and he missed his initial trajectory for his move. But he's so used to it that he recovered and finished from a difficult angle anyway. That happens ALL the time and is rarely, rarely called.

#263 Memphicity Design

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts
  • Interests:MemphisShirt.com

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:33 AM

View PostHerodotus, on 14 April 2012 - 12:24 AM, said:

If the officiating just for Rudy - and ONLY Rudy - were consistent, it would make a tremendous difference for our team. Based on the way games are reffed on our defensive end, Rudy gets "fouled" probably close to half the times he attacks the basket, and that's not very much of an exaggeration. There are so many freaking times when he takes the ball strong and gets bumped or pushed as he makes his initial move. That should be a foul, because it so dramatically effects everything that happens after that. When we do that, we get called the majority of the time. Then there are plenty of times when he'll take contact again, usually as he's going up, a second foul that doesn't get called very often. Then, when he's finishing, it's rare that anyone is actually near him. When someone is, he will usually get a foul call when it is a real foul. But, I think this is basically why Rudy doesn't get the calls he deserves - refs look for the expected contact at the point of finishing. He's so athletic, he's usually finishing cleanly, with the defense not really having a chance to block or make a play. So, the defense bumps, bodies, holds, rakes, and slaps him as he's making his move, to prevent him from getting by. This is where he's getting fouled all the time and it isn't whistled nearly enough. Too many times he ends up in an awkward position that is tough to finish from because he has been fouled on the initial move. And when that's happening, Rudy has a tendency to get timid taking it to the basket, because the refs are letting all the contact go. So, instead he'll pull up for a jumper, because he knows he can at least get it off cleanly.

Case in point was his tremendously clutch baseline layup at the end of the Clippers game. He got bumped on the initial move, so that he almost stepped on the out of bounds line, and he missed his initial trajectory for his move. But he's so used to it that he recovered and finished from a difficult angle anyway. That happens ALL the time and is rarely, rarely called.
You are 100% correct...

I wil sum it up quicker though.

RUDY GETS NO RESPECT........ he is the Rodney Dangerfield of the nbaPosted Image

#264 GTG

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

Wow, in all the excitement, I just realized that the Grizzlies finished with the same record as the Lakers.

I'm curious, had the vs. LAL game on March 13th not been fixed, would we have finished above the Lakers because of the tiebreaker? Or would they still be in 3rd since they won their Division? I think anyone would agree that Denver is an easier matchup than the Clippers.

Either way, it kinda sucks that the league stole the minor achievement of finishing with a better record than the Lakers from us.

#265 Benji

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

View PostGTG, on 27 April 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

Wow, in all the excitement, I just realized that the Grizzlies finished with the same record as the Lakers.

I'm curious, had the vs. LAL game on March 13th not been fixed, would we have finished above the Lakers because of the tiebreaker? Or would they still be in 3rd since they won their Division? I think anyone would agree that Denver is an easier matchup than the Clippers.

Either way, it kinda sucks that the league stole the minor achievement of finishing with a better record than the Lakers from us.

I'm going to use my first post in months to ask: why are you still here?

#266 GTG

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

View PostBenji, on 27 April 2012 - 07:22 PM, said:

I'm going to use my first post in months to ask: why are you still here?
Well it's pretty obvious you haven't been around in months or else you would know that I've rebuilt my reputation here on the boards and most people appreciate my additions to the discussions now. ;)

So the bigger question, why do you use your first post in months to try and troll me? Some things never change I guess...

#267 El Guapo

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

View PostGTG, on 27 April 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

Well it's pretty obvious you haven't been around in months or else you would know that I've rebuilt my reputation here on the boards and most people appreciate my additions to the discussions now. ;)

So the bigger question, why do you use your first post in months to try and troll me? Some things never change I guess...

GTG 2.0! Much improved Benji!

#268 Notorious O.D.K.

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,765 posts
  • Interests:Grizzlies, Redskins, Tigers and Vols!!!!!!!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

View PostGTG, on 27 April 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

We would have finished as the 3rd seed and they would have been the fourth seed. An example of this is Indiana this year. Chicago won their division but Indy had a better record than Boston who won the Atlantic division. Indy(who came in second in the Central) is the 3rd seed and Boston(the Atlantic division champs) is the 4th seed.

#269 GTG

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

View PostNotorious O.D.K., on 27 April 2012 - 08:10 PM, said:

We would have finished as the 3rd seed and they would have been the fourth seed. An example of this is Indiana this year. Chicago won their division but Indy had a better record than Boston who won the Atlantic division. Indy(who came in second in the Central) is the 3rd seed and Boston(the Atlantic division champs) is the 4th seed.
Ah, ok. Well that's unfortunate...

I knew that game was going to come into play somehow. Murphy's Law never fails. :P

Oh well, Denver probably would have been easier, but I'm not scared of anyone! Let's go Grizz!!!

#270 chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,802 posts
  • Interests:GRIZZLIES, golf, soccer, women

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

The refs didn't cost the Grizzlies a single game this season. They may not have done us any favors in the Lakers game but the Grizzlies had plenty of opportunities to win the game in regulation and in the first OT and missed shots that had nothing to do with the refs.

Instead of blaming others we should simply accept the outcome and be proud of the way the team rebounded through all the adversity this season to get home court advantage in the first round.

#271 new_skool91

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

I will add this too - regardless of the outcome this playoffs, this team has defied essentially all of the odds that there are to defy over the past several years. We definitely don't get the benefit of the whistle too often because we don't have the superstars to woo the refs, but look at the W column and the heart of this team is undeniable. There is NOBODY that can legitimately accuse this team of being given anything. Period. This team has scrapped for everything it has gotten, and even the injury to Randolph may have been a blessing in disguise this season. Easy is not what we do. Maybe one day, but now is not that time - All Heart, Grit and Grind, ride or die! It is a great time to be a Grizzlies fan!

#272 Shikaba

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:10 AM

View Postchipc3, on 27 April 2012 - 09:07 PM, said:

The refs didn't cost the Grizzlies a single game this season.

1:50... The first game that came to my mind...

#273 El Guapo

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

View Postnew_skool91, on 27 April 2012 - 10:59 PM, said:

I will add this too - regardless of the outcome this playoffs, this team has defied essentially all of the odd that there are to defy over the past several years. We definitely don't get the benefit of the whistle too often because we don't have the superstars to woo the refs, but look at the W column and the heart of this team is undeniable. There is NOBODY that can legitimately accuse this team of being given anything. Period. This team has scrapped for everything it has gotten, and even the injury to Randolph may have been a blessing in disguise this season. Easy is not what we do. Maybe one day, but now is not that time - All Heart, Grit and Grind, ride or die! It is a great time to be a Grizzlies fan!

Your post reminds me of Calkin's write-up today. I would post the link, but I don't think it would do any good if you can't access it. Nonetheless, I recommend going out and getting a paper to anyone who hasn't read it today. Its really good.

#274 new_skool91

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

View PostShikaba, on 28 April 2012 - 02:10 AM, said:

1:50... The first game that came to my mind...
That was pretty terrible; I still don't understand that last "foul" call for the life of me.

#275 Subliminal

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

I envisioned a first round matchup here in Denver. Oh well! Memphis/Denver WCF!

#276 Herodotus

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

The refs didn't cost the Grizzlies a single game this season. They may not have done us any favors in the Lakers game but the Grizzlies had plenty of opportunities to win the game in regulation and in the first OT and missed shots that had nothing to do with the refs.

Instead of blaming others we should simply accept the outcome and be proud of the way the team rebounded through all the adversity this season to get home court advantage in the first round.

So silly. We got hosed in the Lakers game in historic fashion. That game was un-winnable. It's okay to be honest about it.

#277 Granttis

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  • Interests:Salmon & Mashed Potatoes

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

Exactly, I hate this thread and wish it would disappear.

#278 BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

I agree with chip as well.

#279 catalina2013

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

View Postnew_skool91, on 27 April 2012 - 10:59 PM, said:

I will add this too - regardless of the outcome this playoffs, this team has defied essentially all of the odds that there are to defy over the past several years. We definitely don't get the benefit of the whistle too often because we don't have the superstars to woo the refs, but look at the W column and the heart of this team is undeniable. There is NOBODY that can legitimately accuse this team of being given anything. Period. This team has scrapped for everything it has gotten, and even the injury to Randolph may have been a blessing in disguise this season. Easy is not what we do. Maybe one day, but now is not that time - All Heart, Grit and Grind, ride or die! It is a great time to be a Grizzlies fan!

Good stuff, new_school91 :)

#280 GTG

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

Alright, I wasn't going to go here so early in the season, bit something's really fishy about tonight's game. Why is Harden being treated like Kobe Bryant all of a sudden? 8 free throws at the HALF compared to 3 for the ENTIRE Grizzlies team??? Tony barely breathes on Harden and gets called for a foul but we're getting clobbered in the paint every other time down the floor and can't get a whistle.

I can't help but think the league noticed that one of their golden boys (Harden) has been struggling the past two games and wanted to give him a leg up.