How much longer until the Knicks Fire Mike D’Antoni

21 replies to this topic

#1 Gone Fishing

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:42 PM

With the way they playing it's coming!!!!!!!!!!

#2 fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:16 AM

I don't think there's a worse fit for NY's roster than D'Antoni (ok, maybe Iavaroni), but he's not their worst problem. A team built around around two inefficient, overrated volume scorers such as Melo and Amare' won't ever get farther than an early playoff exit.

#3 El Guapo

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:24 AM

View Postfanboyslim, on 22 January 2012 - 04:16 AM, said:

I don't think there's a worse fit for NY's roster than D'Antoni (ok, maybe Iavaroni), but he's not their worst problem. A team built around around two inefficient, overrated volume scorers such as Melo and Amare' won't ever get farther than an early playoff exit.

I hope we are seeing the end of volume shooters (scorers). I have never been impressed with players who put up big numbers by taking close to 30 shots per game. I think a lot of players could become "stars" if they were given that privilege.

#4 GrizzedByBluffCity

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:** Please DO NOT REPLY to this computer generated e-mail. **

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:09 AM

you guys are completely misguided - the players they picked were all for d'Antoni's system. You've seen the headlines - they're expected Steve Nash to come bail them out next. I don't see him getting fired. If he is fired it is an injustice. They went for the quick and easy flash supserstar team method and it backfired because they have no depth. Seen this story a hundred times. Sells tickets but doesnt win games. How can you be surprised?

Moreover - it's a typical New York team. Not worth attention.

#5 Acehigh718

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

I said it at the time, and I will say it until I'm blue in the face... the Knicks had potential for a great team, and blew it big time with the Melo trade. I've never been a fan of Carmelo. Sure when he's on, the guy can score at will, but when he's not on, he brings down the whole team. Is D'Antoni a terrible defensive coach? Yes, but this situation is far from his fault.

When the Knicks were built around ONE scorer (Amar'e), they looked like they were a piece or two away from contending. Then the sold the farm for the name. I'll take the combo that is Gallinari + Wilson Chandler over Carmelo any day of the week. The two of them gave teams fits with their length on the perimeter. Not to mention Chandler is one of the most versatile players in the league and bailed them out in the post since they had nobody else. Then the worst part is that the trade didn't stop there, as the Knicks included promising big man Mozgov, and Raymond Felton, who was playing like an all-star point guard in D'Antoni's system.

The prevailing "logic" here in NY, as I was blasted by my peers for my anti-trade stance was that Carmelo is a "star", and the Knicks were on their way to being the next Miami. The flaw in this is that LeBron and Wade are playmakers. Not solely iso scorers. LeBron in particular is unselfish almost to a fault. With Melo and Amar'e, you've got two guys who both function as a go-to-guy, and fail to do too much off the ball.

I like the Amar'e/Chandler post duo. If I'm the Knicks, I get rid of Carmelo. Trade him for wing and/or PG depth. Landry Fields is great for what he does, but should not be starting, same with Shumpert (just not ready yet to produce every given night). Of course I realize, that while this would be the pragmatic thing to do, it would be impossible to get away with in the NY market.

#6 KoufosSnozz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:04 PM

They had their pieces before, Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Mozgov, Felton. Gallinari was perfect for D'Antoni's offense, deadeye shooter but more importantly his ability to become a point forward. That guy has awesome handles and a huge amount of talent and court vision and Melo's knack for scoring doesn't even compare to how he makes his teammates better directly. Mozgov has a bad rep of getting dunked on by Griffin, but he's way better offensively than Griffin's frontcourt partner DJ. Chandler was another versatile forward with a dependable midrange game and great athleticism. And Felton had career numbers in New York. And they already had a superstar in Amare who's now scoring less than Rudy Gay. The Knicks' GM doesn't know anything about basketball.

Gallinari is just a jewel. He is just too good of a passer and ball handler for his size and just a deadeye shooter. That guy's going to be a stud in the NBA. Maybe like Odom but I think he has more of a killer instinct.

#7 fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:54 AM

Just to play devil's advocate, while the trade didn't make basketball sense, it may still make business sense. Bear in mind that the Knicks make a truckload of money off TV rights and sold out games whether they win or not. The team is good enough to sneak into the playoff for that extra income and with two very popular superstars in the roster they get guaranteed attention from the media and a lot of player fans to buy shirts. If all you care about is the money this isn't necessarily a bad move. In the short term at least, wait until Amare' starts complaining about getting few touches.

#8 Acehigh718

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

In the short term, yeah they made a lot of money off this, but it is also a long term investment in which people are going to stop caring about very soon, it things on the court don't start looking up. However I can see the urgency to add more star power with the arrival of the Nets to the city next season, with the cap situation to house D12 and Dwill if things go as planned.

#9 KoufosSnozz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:20 AM

View Postfanboyslim, on 02 February 2012 - 04:54 AM, said:

Just to play devil's advocate, while the trade didn't make basketball sense, it may still make business sense. Bear in mind that the Knicks make a truckload of money off TV rights and sold out games whether they win or not. The team is good enough to sneak into the playoff for that extra income and with two very popular superstars in the roster they get guaranteed attention from the media and a lot of player fans to buy shirts. If all you care about is the money this isn't necessarily a bad move. In the short term at least, wait until Amare' starts complaining about getting few touches.
I would say the Knicks management has been very complacent with the 'unlimited' sources of money they have, misspent it and mismanaged it. It's pretty sad for the true basketball fans living in New York that they get denied of a very good team. The Knicks have been truly shortsighted business-wise and basketball-wise. Business-wise, it just compromised the value and marketability of their other supposed superstar Amare. Of course when your not a winning team, that's a minus to the revenue. And it might affect the next media contract they get. The Lakers got a huge multi-billion dollar contract from the media since they had good management. Snowball effect, the media just bankrolled the Lakers, aside from that they make money off tickets, sponsorships, etc. It wouldn't matter to them at all if they went $25 million over the cap. I doubt they'd get $200 million per year on average if they were perennial bottom dwellers of the West, they just wouldn't hold enough sway. And the past Clippers teams have attested to that, but it's a different case now that they have a solid team. Why the Lakers are the most valuable team in the NBA is simple, they made their name as a global icon by building a culture of winning.

On why the Knicks were pressured to do so, maybe they thought it out like what you said. Maybe they banked on the talent and the history of 'winning' that Carmelo had (NCAA champion, got to the playoffs every season in the NBA he had), or maybe they thought D'Antoni could make it work. Whatever they thought, it didn't work at all.

#10 fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:33 AM

View Postlilgregmonroe, on 03 February 2012 - 05:20 AM, said:

I would say the Knicks management has been very complacent with the 'unlimited' sources of money they have, misspent it and mismanaged it.
That's an understatement. The Knicks management has been abysmal considering the resources they have at their disposal. I'm just saying that within that kind of "shortest-term return of investment" mindset the Anthony trade makes sense.

The Lakers comparison is completely correct. They could do so, so much better with the market they have that I'm shocked there haven't been any offers (that we know of) to buy and turn around the team.

#11 KoufosSnozz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

Jeremy Lin for real? He doesn't seem to be a bad defender at all. We all know about the Asian stereotype of being less athletic but he seems to have some hops. Just lacks shooting.

#12 fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

View Postlilgregmonroe, on 08 February 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

Jeremy Lin for real?
Let's wait for more than three games with extended minutes to make a call. Remember when Norris Cole was a frontrunner for ROY?

#13 KoufosSnozz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

View Postfanboyslim, on 10 February 2012 - 08:35 AM, said:

Let's wait for more than three games with extended minutes to make a call. Remember when Norris Cole was a frontrunner for ROY?
Am watching the Lakers Knicks game since I don't have a feed. 18-5 without Carmelo and Amare at the half. It's been 4 games, but it's just too good to be true.

#14 fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:27 AM

View Postlilgregmonroe, on 10 February 2012 - 08:10 PM, said:

Am watching the Lakers Knicks game since I don't have a feed. 18-5 without Carmelo and Amare at the half. It's been 4 games, but it's just too good to be true.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say maybe, just maybe, he may be for real.

#15 KoufosSnozz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:14 AM

View Postfanboyslim, on 11 February 2012 - 04:27 AM, said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say maybe, just maybe, he may be for real.
:lol:
It's easy to doubt when guys like Salim Stoudemire and Tarence Kinsey come and go in the NBA. But it's a winning proposition to bank on his success because he attacks the rim, resulting in foul calls. And to the NBA (and Stern), they just can't afford Lin to fail. Imagine the billions watching in China not to mention the millions in the Philippines (I am of Chinese descent myself), South Korea and Taiwan. That's a huge market, and with it the cash. Add that he plays in the biggest US market. $$$$$$$$!!!!!

And to respond to OP, Lin just saved Mr. Pringles' behind, at least for now.

#16 GrizzedByBluffCity

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:** Please DO NOT REPLY to this computer generated e-mail. **

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

big game in toronto & its Asian night. i thought all the linsanity was just bc it is new york. if he did this in mikwaukee it would not be news outside of the NBA. look at Anthony Morrow. Sundiata Gaines, BenWallace

#17 fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

View PostGrizzedBy2012, on 14 February 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

big game in toronto & its Asian night. i thought all the linsanity was just bc it is new york. if he did this in mikwaukee it would not be news outside of the NBA. look at Anthony Morrow. Sundiata Gaines, BenWallace
You know, I love watching Lin succeed and I wish him a great career, but seriously, the media lovefest is starting to become sickening. If he wasn't playing for the Knicks he would be barely mentioned, let alone rubbed all over the headlines. I bet that once his FG% comes down to earth (he shot 33% against Minny) the same media is going to crucify him.

#18 fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:31 AM

i couldn't help myself, I found this funny because it's not from the NY media:

CHICAGO,

February 14, 2012 – Returning to the locker room after four grueling quarters against a tough Timberwolves team and a lanky Spanish legend by the name of Ricky Rubio, Jeremy Lin had just played his worst game in four starts. Lin shot 33 percent, going 8 for 24 from the field, missed all three of his three-point attempts and made only four of his seven free throws.

Wait a second, that was a Knicks point guard’s worst of five games? Pop the champagne New York, this kid’s for real!

http://communities.w...ing-get-better/

#19 Lexus LX 570

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

Posted Image

#20 KoufosSnozz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip