Anyone perplexed as to how the Denver Nuggets are a REALLY GOOD team in the West?

27 replies to this topic

#1 KoufosSnozz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:12 AM

They lost some significant talent to China, and they're a team filled with just a bunch of solid role players. Mozgov, Nene, Gallinari, Afflalo and Lawson are very decent NBA players, but not superstars. But when you crush a Miami Heat team like a boss, it just gets strange. Obviously they play hard and they are very well coached. But still...

#2 El Guapo

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

View Postlilgregmonroe, on 14 January 2012 - 01:12 AM, said:

Obviously they play hard and they are very well coached.

That's your answer right there. The media piledrives you over the head constantly with who they believe are the top teams, and they are right a good portion of the time. But teams like the Nuggets, Grizz, Pacers, etc. continue to challenge that notion. The same thing applies to players as well. Look at how Denver was viewed with Carmelo and then after. They got plenty of press with him, and became a ghost team after the trade, even though they actually got better.

#3 fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:36 AM

View PostEl Guapo, on 14 January 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

That's your answer right there. The media piledrives you over the head constantly with who they believe are the top teams, and they are right a good portion of the time. But teams like the Nuggets, Grizz, Pacers, etc. continue to challenge that notion. The same thing applies to players as well. Look at how Denver was viewed with Carmelo and then after. They got plenty of press with him, and became a ghost team after the trade, even though they actually got better.
Yeah, but it's easy to overlook that when you compare it to Melo and Amare' blowing everyone else out under D'Antoni's dashing offensive system.

Oh, wait...

#4 KoufosSnozz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:15 AM

I'm actually worried that if Denver, Portland and Utah pick up steam, there wouldn't be any space for us in the playoffs. Anyone think Utah is having a fluke start just like Golden State did last season? And Houston is turning into a scary team. They're just sleeping right now, but you can't count out a team with Lowry and Scola.

#5 El Guapo

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

View Postfanboyslim, on 15 January 2012 - 05:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but it's easy to overlook that when you compare it to Melo and Amare' blowing everyone else out under D'Antoni's dashing offensive system.

Oh, wait...

That team could get more competitive if you plug a better PG (Nash?) in, but I still think the best they can aspire to be is Phoenix (uptempo era). D'Antoni isn't defense-minded much less Melo and Amare. If they surround them with some more defensive-minded players they could develop into something, but I see them flaming out before any real success occurs...I could be wrong though.

#6 GrizzedByBluffCity

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,284 posts
  • Interests:** Please DO NOT REPLY to this computer generated e-mail. **

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:31 AM

Not at all. Often it is additon by subtraction and they subtracted 2 extreme head cases and a guy that was in the way of Gallinari. Also DeMarre Carroll has to be given credit for their rise. :P

Rudy Fernandez is a really great player and he has found the right team. Understandably most NBA fans have a biased grudge against Spanish players in the league. Rudy is proving them wrong once again. Dallas must be kicking themselves in the crotch. Even Corey Brewer is contributing there and Koufos slliding in at the 4 when Nene was out. I expected a breakout season from Ty Lawson and so far he isn't disappointing.

#7 Southern Dreadz

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:I dunno...how does your momma look? She might interest me.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

Still early....long (abbreviated) season. Teams without talent will come back to earth.

#8 southbluffsgrizzfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,658 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

I can understand Denver, but Utah is getting on my nerves now. They keep winning. We had them beat in Salt Lake earlier this year and just went into a shooting funk. But they were definitely beatable.

They just beat the darling Clippers tonight easily. I was counting on Denver making the playoffs from the West but NOT Utah. They need to start taking some losses.

#9 KoufosSnozz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:10 AM

Utah's position right now might be due to the fact that they've played most of their games at home. Hoping it will become a roller coaster for them as the season goes on. The Clips probably aren't going to last long enough atop the West. They don't have a bench. Denver and Portland have a deep and balanced team. While Utah has a solid core of big men, Southern Dreads said it best. They aren't a balanced team and they have a horrible backcourt, without that backcourt talent, they'll fall off the playoff picture.

I just saw their schedule and majority (an understatement) of their games to be played in February and March are on the road. They beat the Clips once and aside from the Clips and us, the only quality team they've beaten was Denver. Not that we'd done anything yet. We beat Houston soundly, other than that, beat a Derrick-less Bulls and a banged-up Knicks team. We play the Jazz twice more, this time both games at home.

And they'll play Dallas twice in the near future. We will see how truly elite they are.

The Rockets are another story, we've got a nice 1-0 advantage but they've got convincing wins against the Spurs w/ Ginobili, Hawks w/ Horford and the Trailblazers.

#10 GrizzedByBluffCity

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:16 AM

I am surprised by Utah and Philadelphia!

#11 Father Pat

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts
  • Interests:The Memphis Grizzlies.

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:40 AM

George Karl has always been great at getting teams to play above their talent levels. In 24 years of coaching in the NBA, he has had only 3 sub .500 seasons. That is flat out amazing. Good coaching combined with a lack of Kobe sized egos can go a long way during the regular season.

#12 CashConsiderationsFan

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:49 PM

View Postlilgregmonroe, on 18 January 2012 - 03:10 AM, said:

I just saw their schedule and majority (an understatement) of their games to be played in February and March are on the road. They beat the Clips once and aside from the Clips and us, the only quality team they've beaten was Denver. Not that we'd done anything yet. We beat Houston soundly, other than that, beat a Derrick-less Bulls and a banged-up Knicks team. We play the Jazz twice more, this time both games at home.

People keep knocking the fact we beat the Bulls with Rose out. I would like to point out that the Bulls are 2-1 with him out, so we are the only team who has beaten them with him out.

#13 KoufosSnozz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

View PostCashConsiderationsFan, on 18 January 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

People keep knocking the fact we beat the Bulls with Rose out. I would like to point out that the Bulls are 2-1 with him out, so we are the only team who has beaten them with him out.
Granted that we beat them without Derrick Rose, all I'm saying is that we haven't done anything big this season yet. I'm fully aware that ZBo's out, but I just hold my Grizzlies to a higher standard than most I guess. I feel our team right now without ZBo should be able to compete with a healthy Bulls, Spurs, etc. and win some.

#14 southbluffsgrizzfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,658 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

View Postlilgregmonroe, on 18 January 2012 - 03:10 AM, said:

Utah's position right now might be due to the fact that they've played most of their games at home. Hoping it will become a roller coaster for them as the season goes on. The Clips probably aren't going to last long enough atop the West. They don't have a bench. Denver and Portland have a deep and balanced team. While Utah has a solid core of big men, Southern Dreads said it best. They aren't a balanced team and they have a horrible backcourt, without that backcourt talent, they'll fall off the playoff picture.

And they'll play Dallas twice in the near future. We will see how truly elite they are.

The Rockets are another story, we've got a nice 1-0 advantage but they've got convincing wins against the Spurs w/ Ginobili, Hawks w/ Horford and the Trailblazers.
yeah lilgreg, after I posted my thoughts about Utah, I looked at their schedule and you are right on. They have played a lot of games at home and havent played all that tough of a schedule. So hopefully order will be restored and they will come back to the .500 team or slightly under team that they need to be.

I wasnt impressed with them much at all and thought the Grizz had the game under control until the obligatory scoring funk descended upon them and they couldnt put the ball in the ocean from a row boat. Anyway, I am hoping like you that the schedule takes care of Utah

#15 new_skool91

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

Secret - basketball is a TEAM sport. Great teams beat great individual players any day of the week and good teams have a shot against great individual players most nights.

#16 notnilc20

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:24 AM

all the teams I thought would suck this season have surprised me.....Houston, Utah, Denver, Portland, Philly,....sort of pisses me off a little.

#17 GrizzedByBluffCity

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:14 AM

I'm just glad the Clippers, Warriors, Nets still suck despite all the hype.

#18 KoufosSnozz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

WTF? I feel insulted at having Paul Millsap 10th in the MVP ballot. Really?

#19 LilFrontOffice

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:16 PM

View Postnew_skool91, on 19 January 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

Secret - basketball is a TEAM sport. Great teams beat great individual players any day of the week and good teams have a shot against great individual players most nights.

See the Kincks

#20 fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:12 AM

View Postlilrudygay, on 20 January 2012 - 11:16 PM, said:

See the Kincks
I would argue that the Knicks' great players aren't really that great, but I digress. Team play beats individuals 9 out of 10 times.