#1 SixthMan

Hall of Famer

• Game Thread
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:45 PM

Benches

Grizzlies
  • Darrell Arthur Shane Battier Rodney Carney Rudy Gay Hamed Haddadi Xavier Henry O.J. Mayo Ish Smith Greivis Vasquez Jason Williams
Spurs
  • James Anderson Matt Bonner George Hill Antonio McDyess Gary Neal Steve Novak Chris Quinn Tiago Splitter

#2 SixthMan

Hall of Famer

• Game Thread
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:46 PM

SEASON SERIES
- 12/18: Grizzlies at Spurs (Loss 106-112 OT)
- 02/27: Grizzlies at Spurs
- 03/01: Grizzlies vs Spurs
- 03/27: Grizzlies vs Spurs

MEDIA/BLOG LINKS

Memphis Grizzlies: 3 Shades of Blue | 191 Beale Street | Beyond the Arc | Bleacher Report | Bluff City Bears | CBS | Commercial Appeal | David Loves The Grizzlies | ESPN | FanHouse | FOX | Fox Sports TN | Grizzed By Vanjulio | Grizzlies News | Grizzlies.com Blogs | GrizzLife | HoopsWorld | Memphis Blue Bears | Mike Conley | Rudy Gay | Sporting News | Sports Illustrated | Sports56 WHBQ | Straight Outta Vancouver | The Growl | The Memphis Edge | USA Today | Yahoo! | Yard Barker

San Antonio Spurs: 48 Minutes Of Hell | Bleacher Report | CBS | ESPN | FanHouse | FOX | HoopsWorld | Pounding The Rock | Project Spurs | San Antonio Express-News | Sporting News | Sports Illustrated | Spurs Dynasty | Spurs Report | Spurs World | USA Today | Yahoo! | Yard Barker

#3 Benji

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:22 PM

MUST WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously.

#4 BigSim50

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:42 PM

Yeah this is a must win, but the way SA has been playing at home this year, I'm not going to get my hopes up. I think we'll make SA work for this one though. But seeing as this is a possible 1st round matchup, we need to send a message to SA that we won't go down that easily.

#5 RunGMCin09 (formerly known as Grizzn04)

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE (BigSims3030 @ Feb 26 2011, 05:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah this is a must win, but the way SA has been playing at home this year, I'm not going to get my hopes up. I think we'll make SA work for this one though. But seeing as this is a possible 1st round matchup, we need to send a message to SA that we won't go down that easily.

As long as we split I am happy. Losing both games would not be good though. Eventhough they have a gaudy record I still think we gotta get one. It would be nice to go 2-1 in the three games we have left with them. Most obvious way would be to win the two at the Forum. Would split the season series.

#6 GTG

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,375 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:31 AM

Im probably going to get bashed for saying this, but realistically speaking, short of a MAJOR fluke on San Antonio's part, this is essentially an automatic loss.

The Spurs just simply DO NOT lose on their home court. They've had 2 defeats all season at the AT&T Center. The first of those was to New Orleans in the second game of season when the Hornets were red hot. The second was to Dallas on November 26th.

Nobody be shocked if we end up coming out of this one with an L.

The game in Memphis on Tuesday may be a different story though...

#7 KoufosSnozz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:45 AM

QUOTE (Gasol_The_Great @ Feb 26 2011, 01:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im probably going to get bashed for saying this, but realistically speaking, short of a MAJOR fluke on San Antonio's part, this is essentially an automatic loss.

The Spurs just simply DO NOT lose on their home court. They've had 2 defeats all season at the AT&T Center. The first of those was to New Orleans in the second game of season when the Hornets were red hot. The second was to Dallas on November 26th.

Nobody be shocked if we end up coming out of this one with an L.

The game in Memphis on Tuesday may be a different story though...

Grizz playing a whole new level of defense. Ginobili will have less air to breath in this game, as long as either Battier or Allen are at the floor at the same time.

According to Battier, Ginobili is a statistical freak, make him go left, right, back, anywhere, make him shoot or pass and he'll still kill you. No weakness whatsoever on his offensive game. Well see about that when we slow down their primary offensive option, Mr. Manu.

We are going to win this game.

#8 grizzly grit

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:03 AM

We can win twice over the Spurs in a back to back.

We are a different team now with Tony Allen and Sam Young starting and earning more playing time.

Marc Gasol must dominate undersized Dajuan Blair.

#9 smit-tay griz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:46 AM

Maybe let Manu try to get his, just make it as difficult as possible, and try to make the rest of the Spurs beat you. Stick Shane on Bonner when he comes in to take away that three. He's smart enough to not leave him open. It'll be tough but I would like to see us get one of these two from SA.

#10 KoufosSnozz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE (smit-tay griz @ Feb 26 2011, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe let Manu try to get his, just make it as difficult as possible, and try to make the rest of the Spurs beat you. Stick Shane on Bonner when he comes in to take away that three. He's smart enough to not leave him open. It'll be tough but I would like to see us get one of these two from SA.

I'm perplexed at how strong the Spurs are without a superstar in his prime. Maybe because this is a team that doesn't have any weakness on offense. Everything is pick your poison. Only a team with full-coverage defense like Boston could have their way with the Spurs.

But we have our chances. I'm very high-up on the addition of Battier, no doubt he improves our defense overall, interior, perimeter and ability to force turnovers and blocks, plus help with rebounding. I think the key to the game is absolutely stopping TP and preventing the Spurs from raining down the threes. Manu can have his way, but what do we have elite defenders for? This will be a tightly-contested match. Considering we took the Spurs the last game into overtime, I think we matchup well against them.

#11 smit-tay griz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (lilgregmonroe @ Feb 26 2011, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm perplexed at how strong the Spurs are without a superstar in his prime. Maybe because this is a team that doesn't have any weakness on offense. Everything is pick your poison. Only a team with full-coverage defense like Boston could have their way with the Spurs.

But we have our chances. I'm very high-up on the addition of Battier, no doubt he improves our defense overall, interior, perimeter and ability to force turnovers and blocks, plus help with rebounding. I think the key to the game is absolutely stopping TP and preventing the Spurs from raining down the threes. Manu can have his way, but what do we have elite defenders for? This will be a tightly-contested match. Considering we took the Spurs the last game into overtime, I think we matchup well against them.

I agree. Their veteran court savvy makes for tough defense as well as good offensive team play. They will be tough but I do think it is within the realm of possibility for us to beat them, even in their building. Players will just have to step up.

#12 lilojmayo

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:57 PM

The Spurs play like a team. I remember watching OJ try to will a win pretty much single handledly last time. And thought to myself, OJ can't beat them, this team is simply too good even when OJ took the Griz into overtime with that danger 3 pointer and then turned to the crowd and them this

I thought to myself there is no chance they win in OT. Spurs are just too good of a team, i'll be shocked if the Grizz can win in the Spurs home turf.

#13 GF#1

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,928 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:28 PM

Grizz have this one in the bag.

Six years ago, the Grizzlies went into San Antonio. The powerhouse Spurs had lost just 1 home game all season and had an overall record of 42-13, the best in the NBA. The surging Memphis Grizzlies fighting for their playoff lives came in at 30-25. With the Grizzlies up 2 points in the winding seconds, the ball is inbounded to Manu Ginobili at the top of the key. Grizzlies forward Shane Battier picks Ginobili's pocket and runs to the other end of the court as time expires. Grizzlies win.

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?id=250226024

biggrin.gif

It's all setting up beautifully.

#14 GrizzliesIQYO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:28 PM

WE have to beat the spurs either at home of this game. First of all because the race for the playoffs is so tight. Second, if we end the season in the 8th spot, we have to have a recipe to beat the guys. Third, we cant let them sweep us in the regular season because they will be confident in the playoffs that we cant beat them and we may get a defeated attitude.

YO

#15 costarica2

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
  • Interests:Boobs

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:31 PM

SPLIT!!!!!

We need to get tony allen going in my opinion in order to win this one.

#16 KoufosSnozz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:11 PM

The Spurs will get a taste of some big-*** whooping from a new-look Grizz team tomorrow.

#17 smit-tay griz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (lilgregmonroe @ Feb 26 2011, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Spurs will get a taste of some big-*** whooping from a new-look Grizz team tomorrow.

I really hope you are right but lets be real. The Kings have won 14 games so far this season and the Spurs have won 48. So I wouldn't bet the farm just yet.

#18 GTG

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,375 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE (smit-tay griz @ Feb 26 2011, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really hope you are right but lets be real. The Kings have won 14 games so far this season and the Spurs have won 48. So I wouldn't bet the farm just yet.

Agreed.

Nobody should freak out if we lose this one.

#19 MemphisX

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,956 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:10 AM

This is a win...book it.

#20 southbluffsgrizzfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:08 AM

Dont know what others think--I havent read any threads from last night. But what I saw last night at the FEF was a team that has solidified its roster. A team that is serious about making "the push." It was actually kind of strange in a good way. Albeit it was against a 14 win team (but they did just beat Orlando in Orlando a few days ago), but the Grizz stepped on the neck of a team last night and did not let up. Everyone contributed. They (Sac) were gassed in the 2nd half but the old Grizzlies would have found a way to let them back in it. Not this time.

We will get an idea of what we are made of tonight.

**Note to Grizzlies: please stay in front of Tony Parker, please and when he gets by, rotate/help. If we do that, we have a great chance to knock the big bully out.