#1 Timmy_D

Timmy_D

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts
  • Interests:The Memphis Grizzlies, Tigers, Graphic Design, Movies most sports

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:57 AM

Ok. Every where I look I keep reading or hearing about how OJ's double digit streak is the longest since Magic. But then they show the all time streaks and there are a ton of guys with longer streaks and one is MJ who scored in double figures every game his rookie year so he has more than OJ. So my question is What streak are they taking about that OJ is the first to do since Magic? Because I know Magic played before Jordan.

Can anyone explain? Or Im I just confused and missing something?

#2 grizzlyalidocious

grizzlyalidocious

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:44 AM

He has the longest streak to start a career. So every game he's played so far in his career he's scored in double figure's

#3 Timmy_D

Timmy_D

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts
  • Interests:The Memphis Grizzlies, Tigers, Graphic Design, Movies most sports

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (grizzlyalidocious @ Dec 17 2008, 06:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He has the longest streak to start a career. So every game he's played so far in his career he's scored in double figure's

Yeah thats what they keep saying but Michael Jordan scored in double figures his entire rookie year so I dont get why they keep saying its the longest since Magic. Magic came before Jordan

#4 GF#1

GF#1

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,069 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:20 AM

I wonder why they are saying this as well because Michael Jordan scored in double figured in his first 89 career NBA games.

I'm baffled as to how this is being overlooked. Maybe because they do not want OJ in the same breath as MJ? Maybe they feel that he won't make it that long anyway so why even mention it? I don't know. But here is a link to Michael Jordan's game logs for his entire career:

Michael Jordan's career game logs

#5 GF#1

GF#1

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,069 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:27 AM

The amazing thing about looking through his game logs is that he scored in double digits in every single game of his Chicago Bull career EXCEPT for that game in his sophomore season against the Cavs. I know he had like a 800+ double digit streak, but that's still impressive.

#6 guillermo

guillermo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:29 AM

On the game the other night they said Terry Cummings was the all time leader- he had like 242 games in double figures to start a career but I can't believe that the all time record isn't much higher- did Wilt Chamberlin ever not score in double figures? Kareem?

odd.

#7 GrizzedByBluffCity

GrizzedByBluffCity

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,322 posts
  • Interests:** Please DO NOT REPLY to this computer generated e-mail. **

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:12 AM

I thought maybe Jordan missed a game and its not listed there but indeed that is 82 games all with double digit scores.

OK GUYS here are the facts from the Grizzlies game notes:

NO ORDINARY ROOKIE
O.J. Mayo is the only rookie to score 10-plus points in every game played this season, and his 24-game double-figure streak to start his NBA career is one
of the longest in recent years… According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Mayo is one of just six players since the 1979-80 season to start his NBA career with
24-plus games of 10-plus points, ahead of NBA greats such as Magic Johnson and Larry Bird... It the longest such streak the NBA has seen since David
Robinson started his career with 77-straight double-figure games for the San Antonio Spurs in the 1989-90 season… Here is a look at such streaks in the
last 30 years:
LONGEST STREAKS OF 10-PLUS POINTS TO START NBA CAREER, SINCE 1979-80 SEASON
RANK GAMES PLAYER TEAM DATES
1 239 Terry Cummings San Diego Clippers/Milwaukee Bucks 10/29/82 – 11/9/85
2 89 Michael Jordan Chicago Bulls 10/26-84 – 3/21/86
3 77 David Robinson San Antonio Spurs 11/4/89 – 4/12/90
4 69 Ron Harper Los Angeles Clippers 11/1/86 – 3/21/87
5 43 Mitch Richmond Golden State Warriors 11/5/88 – 2/4/89
6 24 O.J. Mayo Memphis Grizzlies 10/29/08 – present
7 23 Dikembe Mutombo Denver Nuggets 11/1/91 – 12/18/91
8 22 Alonzo Mourning Charlotte Hornets 11/13/92 – 12/28/92
9 21 Magic Johnson Los Angeles Lakers 10/12/79 – 11/7/79
10 20 Larry Bird Boston Celtics 10/12/79 – 11/28/79

#8 GrizzedByBluffCity

GrizzedByBluffCity

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,322 posts
  • Interests:** Please DO NOT REPLY to this computer generated e-mail. **

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:16 AM

now we can all start saying "Mayo has the longest streak since Mitch Richmond!" but it doesn't have the same effect as saying "since Magic Johnson" eh? laugh.gif

#9 grizzlyalidocious

grizzlyalidocious

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:16 AM

Just having a Grizz on a list like that is a step in the right direction.

#10 PassTheMayo

PassTheMayo

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 02:10 PM

Can't wait to see him against the Pacers. My first Grizz game!

#11 GrizzCR

GrizzCR

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:21 AM

So, what was the scoop with this? I certainly thought it was said that only Dan Issel had a longer double digit scoring streak to start a career at something like 27 games? What exactly was the story then?

Speaking of this... I'm surprised I haven't seen more comments on Iavaroni not playing OJ down the stretch of that terrible game. I've been on the side of "give Iavaroni more time" because he is young and inexperienced and not sure bringing in yet another coach is the quickest way to improve the team. BUTTTT... IMO, that was an absolute terrible decision not to let OJ try to continue his streak, and should probably speed up his departure. Not because I think individual accomplishments have near the importance of team accomplishments, but ...

1.) The whole team was playing terrible, so no reason not to give OJ a chance to continue his streak. As a matter of fact... I noticed early in the game OJ was one of the few making the extra passes... which just went to Rudy to get launched against tough coverage. Rudy didn't have a bad start, but I was wondering then if OJ was thinking that Rudy was never gonna return the favor to help him get his 10 pts.

2.) Memphis can always use any positive news coverage... even about individual players accomplishments.

And, most importantly...
3.) Iavaroni has probably now lost the support of his best player and likely support of most of the other players. I'd think teammates would tend to support each other in a situation like this.

I personally thought it was an amateurish move by the coach just to show that he can punish anyone he wants if the team isn't playing well... especially considering his less-than-stellar coaching job thus far. And, I thought he showed his asss during the press conference when asked about it.

So, mainly because of the huge implications of #3 above, I'm afraid there's no choice but to "send Iavaroni packing" now and try to get the right coach in here as quick as possible. And, that doesn't mean next year. If we can make it happen quick enough, the new coach could have 40 - 50 games to get started this year.

#12 bgassassin

bgassassin

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,519 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE (GrizzCR @ Dec 22 2008, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, what was the scoop with this? I certainly thought it was said that only Dan Issel had a longer double digit scoring streak to start a career at something like 27 games? What exactly was the story then?

Speaking of this... I'm surprised I haven't seen more comments on Iavaroni not playing OJ down the stretch of that terrible game. I've been on the side of "give Iavaroni more time" because he is young and inexperienced and not sure bringing in yet another coach is the quickest way to improve the team. BUTTTT... IMO, that was an absolute terrible decision not to let OJ try to continue his streak, and should probably speed up his departure. Not because I think individual accomplishments have near the importance of team accomplishments, but ...

1.) The whole team was playing terrible, so no reason not to give OJ a chance to continue his streak. As a matter of fact... I noticed early in the game OJ was one of the few making the extra passes... which just went to Rudy to get launched against tough coverage. Rudy didn't have a bad start, but I was wondering then if OJ was thinking that Rudy was never gonna return the favor to help him get his 10 pts.

2.) Memphis can always use any positive news coverage... even about individual players accomplishments.

And, most importantly...
3.) Iavaroni has probably now lost the support of his best player and likely support of most of the other players. I'd think teammates would tend to support each other in a situation like this.

I personally thought it was an amateurish move by the coach just to show that he can punish anyone he wants if the team isn't playing well... especially considering his less-than-stellar coaching job thus far. And, I thought he showed his asss during the press conference when asked about it.

So, mainly because of the huge implications of #3 above, I'm afraid there's no choice but to "send Iavaroni packing" now and try to get the right coach in here as quick as possible. And, that doesn't mean next year. If we can make it happen quick enough, the new coach could have 40 - 50 games to get started this year.

Sorry, but this post reeks of unnecessary nitpicking. He put OJ back in and he didn't do anything, so he pulled him back out. I applaud Ivy for making it about the team and not individual achievements. I would have enjoyed seeing the streak continue, but why should OJ be rewarded for crappy play?

#13 chipc3

chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,858 posts
  • Interests:GRIZZLIES, golf, soccer, women

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:32 AM

Great job O J starting the season in rare company even if you didn't set the world record. Memphis really is proud of your accomplishments so far. Keep up the overall great play.

#14 ranstay

ranstay

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (bgassassin @ Dec 22 2008, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, but this post reeks of unnecessary nitpicking. He put OJ back in and he didn't do anything, so he pulled him back out. I applaud Ivy for making it about the team and not individual achievements. I would have enjoyed seeing the streak continue, but why should OJ be rewarded for crappy play?

You do it for the fans. OJ's streak would have been a positive for the fans to cling too, since there was noway the Grizzlies were going to beat the Bobcats at that point. Same way with Juan Carlos' attempt to top Kettles in made 3-Pointers by a rookie. It was the end of the season, Ivy should have had JC jacking them up on every offensive plan. So the fans would have gotten something positive, out of a horrible season.

#15 bgassassin

bgassassin

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,519 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:27 AM

It's not the same with JCN. That was at the end of the season with nothing else left to play for. We're only about one-third through this season and players should not be rewarded for playing crappy, especially this early in their career. He was put back in and still couldn't get it. All you're asking for is for him to instill bad habits by forcing something that just wasn't happening that night. This is not the same as telling a shooter in a slump to shoot himself out of it. I guess this fan doesn't care about it as much as I thought I did.

#16 GrizzCR

GrizzCR

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:25 PM

I absolutely agree the Grizzlies team is more important than any individual accomplishments. But, as already stated, that game was long gone and it isn't like OJ was the reason the whole team was playing bad.

I haven't gone back and looked, but if I remember right, he only put up one, maybe two, shots when the coach put him back in. Hardly like he was trying to go 1-on-5 every possession.

I think the team and players could use some positive exposure and experiences right now. And, I think the coach is going to find it real hard to survive the next month or so without the full support of his players. I'm betting he pretty much ensured that his players have now joined the bandwagon for bringing in a new coach right now! Hell, they may even prefer O'neill over him.

#17 El Lobo

El Lobo

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE (ranstay @ Dec 22 2008, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You do it for the fans. OJ's streak would have been a positive for the fans to cling too, since there was noway the Grizzlies were going to beat the Bobcats at that point. Same way with Juan Carlos' attempt to top Kettles in made 3-Pointers by a rookie. It was the end of the season, Ivy should have had JC jacking them up on every offensive plan. So the fans would have gotten something positive, out of a horrible season.

I agree.

#18 Notorious O.D.K.

Notorious O.D.K.

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,400 posts
  • Interests:Grizzlies, Redskins, Tigers and Vols!!!!!!!

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:24 PM

Look, I'm about sick and tired of being sick and tired of this stuff about Rudy not passing. I remember specifically THREE passes in which Rudy made the extra pass to the wide open player and they missed, once to OJ for a wide open miss, once to Ross for a wide open miss, and once to Marc for a wide open layup that he missed. Those are just the ones I remember. Rudy had NOTHING to do with OJ not continuing OJ's streak. IT WAS ALL OJ. Deal with it, let it go, the guy had a bad game and Rudy had nothing to do with it. Rudy was 7-10, heck, I would want him launching more tough shots shooting like that. It's about the team and trying to win games not individual awards, if they come fine, but to say Ivy should have put OJ back in to continue the streak, yeah that's fine until OJ goes back in and tears his ACL and then I'm sure you and everyone else will jump down Ivy's back with the "why did Ivy have OJ in late in the game, that was stupid, the game was over anyway, now OJ's season is lost" It's funny how everyone one this team needs to play team ball EXCEPT OJ. It;'s about the team and Ivy did what was best for the team. As a coach, if you do something like that and an injury happens you could lose your job over foolishness like that.

#19 Notorious O.D.K.

Notorious O.D.K.

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,400 posts
  • Interests:Grizzlies, Redskins, Tigers and Vols!!!!!!!

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (bgassassin @ Dec 22 2008, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you and if OJ would have gotten injured, this board would not have let Ivy hear the end of it. It would have been all Ivy's fault for putting him back in.

#20 Gradey

Gradey

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:40 PM

Bah he should have let him play. He wasnt playing that damned bad--an off night for sure but it wasnt like he was out there doing nothing or not trying.

I mean really...who is going to come in behind OJ that needs the experience for this team to grow? No one thats who. Leave the kids who need the court time out there and let them get it.

I say ***** poor move on coach's part. Its not a huge deal but why even have it be an issue at all.