118 replies to this topic

#1 GF#1

GF#1

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,066 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:25 PM

There was something mentioned in another thread that trading Rudy Gay was the worst mistake made in the history of the franchise, and MemphisX stepped in and said it's not even in the top 5.

That got me to wondering what the board as a whole thinks are the top 3-5 (or more with this franchise :lol: ) mistakes made over the years.

And go.

#2 lsugrizzfan

lsugrizzfan

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

I won't list a whole top 5. But if anyone lists anything other than drafting Hasheem Thabeet over James Harden and Steph Curry as #1, then they know nothing.

#3 BHZMAFIA

BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

If we are strictly talking about this franchise in Memphis and not both Vancouver/Memphis, here is my list:

1) 2009 NBA Draft - Drafting Thabeet (this should be everyone's #1)

2) 2008 NBA Draft - Trading away Kevin Love for OJ Mayo on draft night; not taking Deandre Jordan with our 2nd round pick (something I pleaded for us to do during that time considering he was projected to be a lottery pick a month or two before the draft)

3) Waiving Hassan Whiteside in favor of Ryan Hollins

4) Consistently trading away our 1st round picks for 1-year rentals 

5) 2002 NBA Draft - drafting Drew Gooden to be a wing player instead of going after Caron Butler when we desperately needed wing scoring to pair with Pau. 

Honorable mentions:

- trading Rudy Gay prior to the playoffs 

- trading Lowry for a 1st round pick (that turned into Carroll)

- maxing out Chandler Parsons (at least right now its looking like a mistake)

#4 notnilc20

notnilc20

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:51 PM

Imho trading Rudy was a good thing.

1) didn't we pass on Steph Curry and James Harden to get Thabeet? If that's not #1 mistake then I quit.

2)Picking OJ Mayo over K. Love

3)Signing Parsons to the max (even though I like him he's just not a 90 mil. Palyer imho).

4)Passing on H. Whiteside when he had him in the Summer League.

5)Letting Troy Willaams get away.

6) Tams Jerseys

Those are some off the top of my head.

#5 Allen

Allen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,901 posts
  • Location:The City Where I live in and the City Where im from

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:13 PM

The OJ/Love trade, Thabeet draft and the Parsons signing are all moves that can set a team back years.

#6 Dwash

Dwash

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,519 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:34 PM

Not getting a top 18 pick to Detroit in 2002 (I think Houston owed us one but they couldn't work it out) which meant giving a #1 protected pick to Detroit in 2003.

2009 draft (no need to elaborate)

Drew Gooden instead of Caron Butler.

Shane Battier instead of Joe Johnson (many may not agree here)

Not cashing in on guys when they had value (hard to know the extent of this) such as Mayo and Darrell Arthur.  They say Arthur could have been traded for the Klay Thompson pick.

#7 UofMark

UofMark

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Interests:Grizzlies/Tigers

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:41 PM

While Grizzlies is a fine name and well ingrained, not changing the name to Sounds on relocation in 2001 was a huge missed opportunity at specific Memphis branding.

#8 TimBC

TimBC

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:05 PM

(1) Thabeet

(2) drafting Steve Francis anyway when he said he wouldn't come

(3) Whiteside

(4) Seth Curry

Everything else is way short of those. 

Gay had to go. 

Mayo really did look every bit as good as Love, and it was a while before he smoked his way to oblivion. 

Y'know what else is scary about the 1999 draft? It included Jason Terry and Rip Hamilton. 

The guy we could have taken instead of Francis might still be playing!

Or we could have had Baron Davis, Lamar Odom, Andre Miller, Shawn Marion.

#9 guillermo

guillermo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:06 PM

drafting thabeet - Heisley on crack

​releasing hassan whiteside- lolwtf?

KLove for OJ- Wallace move

parsons- wallace move

firing Hollins- Levian move (or however you spell it)

thank god core 4 worked out or I don't know where this franchise would be

#10 BHZMAFIA

BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:11 PM

Its just funny how much we cannot get the early picks in the draft correct.

When we go with high ceiling, we tend to miss out on the safer picks.

When we try to go with the safer picks, we miss out on the high ceiling guys.

2008 - lower ceiling/safer pick - Kevin Love, but traded him for a higher ceiling player in OJ.

2009 - high ceiling / high bust potential - Hasheem Thabeet 

2010 - lower ceiling supposedly safer pick - Xavier Henry

2012 - high ceiling - Tony Wroten when we were close to drafting the lower ceiling player in Draymond Green

Can easily see the same thing happening from last year's draft by taking Baldwin 

It really only worked out once for us when we took Conley (who supposedly had a high ceiling back then).

#11 Allen

Allen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,901 posts
  • Location:The City Where I live in and the City Where im from

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:53 PM

How did Mayo have a high ceiling?

#12 BigHunkALove

BigHunkALove

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,956 posts
  • Interests:Rockabilly, Delta Blues, Gretsch guitars,Grizzlies, Grizz followers thoughts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:54 PM

Thabust takes the cake.

The Leuer trade comes in second

#13 BHZMAFIA

BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:17 PM

How did Mayo have a high ceiling?

Really?

He was projected to be a star player by many and was one of the most hyped players going into the draft since Lebron. He was hyped up in HS and even at USC. 

I do know at the time Kevin Love's ceiling wasn't considered too high. He was more so a safe pick because people knew he was a great rebounder (which generally translate well at the next level) and very good low post scorer. His issues were more so weight related and undersized.

#14 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:24 PM

I'm here to defend the Hasheem Thabeet pick. Number #1, most of you all don't respect what Thabeet could have been nor what his skill might have done for this team, so naturally the pick seemed ludicrious because he became a bust.

Picking a defensive rim protector with a top 2 pick was seen as a dumb move regardless of if he panned out or not, and the fact that he busted made it all the worse.

But here's the crux of the issue. The grizzlies for 3 years in a row had a defensive rating of 30 out of 30, 28 out of 30 and 23 out of 30. This team had also drafted who the board thought was a superstar (OJ Mayo) the year before, there was absolutely no need to draft another shooting guard (harden), and those that say we should have drafted Curry are just playing Monday morning QB. Curry was seen as a frail player who could not defend his position, kinda like what he still is.

Thabeet, regardless of what anybody says had all of the physical attributes to be the next Deke (or Rudy Gobert, for todays nba), the guy however had absolutely no heart. He is probably the biggest P-word I've ever seen for a guy drafted that high. It was unbelievable how much lack of pride the guy had. The only guy I can compare him to is Royce White or maybe Larry Sanders.

But the move itself wasn't Heisley going against the entire world who knew better, it was a sound move. And in fact, it was probably one of the only drafts that the grizzlies have had that was graded favorable in the last 10 years.

#15 BHZMAFIA

BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

Drafting Thabeet was stupid all around was because we were obviously invested in Marc Gasol.

He was coming off an All-Rookie selection where he showed flashes of being an elite rim protector. This was also the guy you traded your best franchise player at the time for, so why not put more time into making him great? The scouting report was out on Thabeet in college and Heisley (RIP) was just trying to look smart by reaching. After he got bodied by Dejuan Blair, that should've said everything we needed to know about him. Raw talent, but you had Marc Gasol coming off a good rookie campaign.

Could the pick turned out to be great? Sure. But, you can say that about every **** body selected in the draft. 

For the same reason he selected Thabeet, why he pass up on Deandre Jordan in the year prior with our late 1st? That type of athleticism at his size who was projected to be a lottery pick and compared to Dwight? Reasoning just doesn't add up. 

There were so many ways we could've went with that pick considering what was reported later that Heisley wanted Thabeet. I believe other members of the FO and coaching staff wanted Curry or Tyreke? Its crazy that we literally could've picked anyone in the top 10 outside of Thabeet and Flynn and came out with at least a decent player. Hell, even Jordan Hill was decent for a minute.

#16 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:46 PM

Drafting Thabeet was stupid all around was because we were obviously invested in Marc Gasol.

He was coming off an All-Rookie selection where he showed flashes of being an elite rim protector. This was also the guy you traded your best franchise player at the time for, so why not put more time into making him great? The scouting report was out on Thabeet in college and Heisley (RIP) was just trying to look smart by reaching. After he got bodied by Dejuan Blair, that should've said everything we needed to know about him. Raw talent, but you had Marc Gasol coming off a good rookie campaign.

Could the pick turned out to be great? Sure. But, you can say that about every **** body selected in the draft. 

For the same reason he selected Thabeet, why he pass up on Deandre Jordan in the year prior with our late 1st? That type of athleticism at his size who was projected to be a lottery pick and compared to Dwight? Reasoning just doesn't add up. 

There were so many ways we could've went with that pick considering what was reported later that Heisley wanted Thabeet. I believe other members of the FO and coaching staff wanted Curry or Tyreke? Its crazy that we literally could've picked anyone in the top 10 outside of Thabeet and Flynn and came out with at least a decent player. Hell, even Jordan Hill was decent for a minute.

I would argue that the grizzlies had more invested in OJ than they did in Gasol, and OJ certainly showed more than Marc did that year. Again, you can argue any side you like but the facts remain the grizzlies were terrible defensively and they needed a guy that could change that in a heartbeat.

#17 fanboyslim

fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,539 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:08 PM

1) Thabeet pick. Who, contrary to what KBM implies, was seen by many as just a really tall guy who terrorized college players because he could camp in the paint due to the lack of a 3 second rule, and who would have a hard time translating his game to the NBA. The absolute lack of heart was just the cherry on top. Nobody, and I mean nobody thought he would be picked at #2 until Marc Stein (or was it Woj? I honestly don't recall) leaked that we were aiming for him, I remember all the mock drafts who had Rubio as the consensus #2 being amended in a hurry prior to the draft to account for that.

2) Giving first round picks away like peppermint candies in short-sighted trades. We're going to be paying for those decisions until 2020.

3) Failing to build a proper team around Pau. Easier said than done, but we failed to go all in once we reached the playoffs. Or rather, we went all in with a group of malcontents that had to be essentially blown out in the middle of what could have been the beginning of a championship window.

4) Love for OJ. Even though at the time we were all ecstatic (except KBM, credit when credit's due). Never again will I want to spend a first round pick on a tweener.

5) Steve Franchise. Not just the pick itself, but the way his eventual trade went down, which painted the Grizzlies as a loser franchise that could be taken advantage of. If I had been the GM I would have told him that he had two options: go to Vancouver and play to the best of his abilities or start looking for a visa to play overseas because he would not play in the NBA otherwise.

#18 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:10 PM

1) Thabeet pick. Who, contrary to what KBM implies, was seen by many as just a really tall guy who terrorized college players because he could camp in the paint due to the lack of a 3 second rule, and who would have a hard time translating his game to the NBA. The absolute lack of heart was just the cherry on top. Nobody, and I mean nobody thought he would be picked at #2 until Marc Stein (or was it Woj? I honestly don't recall) leaked that we were aiming for him, I remember all the mock drafts who had Rubio as the consensus #2 being amended in a hurry prior to the draft to account for that.

2) Giving first round picks away like peppermint candies in short-sighted trades. We're going to be paying for those decisions until 2020.

3) Failing to build a proper team around Pau. Easier said than done, but we failed to go all in once we reached the playoffs. Or rather, we went all in with a group of malcontents that had to be essentially blown out in the middle of what could have been the beginning of a championship window.

4) Love for OJ. Even though at the time we were all ecstatic (except KBM, credit when credit's due). Never again will I want to spend a first round pick on a tweener.

5) Steve Franchise. Not just the pick itself, but the way his eventual trade went down, which painted the Grizzlies as a loser franchise that could be taken advantage of. If I had been the GM I would have told him that he had two options: go to Vancouver and play to the best of his abilities or start looking for a visa to play overseas because he would not play in the NBA otherwise.

It was chad ford. But again, you can look at the draft grades for that year and see that everybody LOVED our draft except for this board. We got Sam Young and Demarre Carrol that year. We needed defense and we spent our whole draft on defense.

Incidentally, Sam Young was the only guy in that draft that this board liked, lol.

#19 fanboyslim

fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,539 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:25 PM

It was chad ford. But again, you can look at the draft grades for that year and see that everybody LOVED our draft except for this board. We got Sam Young and Demarre Carrol that year. We needed defense and we spent our whole draft on defense.

Incidentally, Sam Young was the only guy in that draft that this board liked, lol.

Ooooh, right, Mr. Chad Fraud. Thanks for the reminder.

You're right about the good draft grades, but they weren't exactly glowing and we got a lot of credit for Young and Carroll who were seen as solid picks who could contribute right away.

Consensus grade from RealGM:

Memphis

Picks: Hasheem Thabeet (2), DeMarre Carroll (27), Sam Young (36)

Reina: C+, ?I'm a bigger fan of what Memphis did at 27 and 36 than I could be with the 2nd overall pick.?

Ford: A-, ?I am not a huge fan of Thabeet but understand why the Grizzlies went that way.?

Del Grande: D, ?League's second-worst offensive team adds stiff-like defensive standout.?

Dwyer: A+, ?Young will help right away, and that's about it. Carroll can play, and Thabeet will become a hell of a player.?

Consensus Grade: B

#20 chasingpapes

chasingpapes

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:34 PM

Oj for Love wasn't that bad because keepin Love prolly = no tradin for Zbo.

And Parsons its too early to call it, let's just hope he earns that contract the rest of the years.

Also draftin Jordan Adams has to be up there. Because on no other planet was he a better prospect than Hood.