tangogriz

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Interests:I used to be all messed up on Quake3,
    now I'm all messed up on the Grizzlies.

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:38 AM

and Hilary called young black men SUPER PREDATORS while she supported war on drugs, private prisons, nafta, etc.  ALl these things hurt minorities and enrich the elite.

to top it off she us barreling straight for ww3 with Russia now we just got moved down to lowest defcon level (threat of nuclear war) in decades

the mainstream media has produced nation of low information voters

I could go on all day as I'm sure you could

I just hate to see griz go down this path

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Well I guess I could be one of these low information voters that you talk about, but to me your message is a classic.

I say classic because you insinuate that the mainstream media is propaganda while at the same time regurgitating right wing propaganda. What is your source for the DEFCON info? As far as I know, the US does not release that to the public.

To see how the Right has spun around on Russia would be hilarious if it wasn't so frightening.

We have to be critical readers of all media.

#2 chipc3

chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,922 posts
  • Interests:GRIZZLIES, golf, soccer, women

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:45 AM

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Well I guess I could be one of these low information voters that you talk about, but to me your message is a classic.

I say classic because you insinuate that the mainstream media is propaganda while at the same time regurgitating right wing propaganda. What is your source for the DEFCON info? As far as I know, the US does not release that to the public.

To see how the Right has spun around on Russia would be hilarious if it wasn't so frightening.

We have to be critical readers of all media.

I consider myself a social liberal and fiscal conservative and this thread is the worst combination of half truths and outright misinformation I've read on the boards in a long time. 

I absolutely agree most citizens are under-informed on issues and need to be very critical of anything read in traditional media but especially social media. 

#3 tangogriz

tangogriz

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:04 PM

We are all vulnerable to disinformation but folks on the Right seem to love the stuff. Its not just Ann Coulter type books that make a nice profit. Below are two examples of how it works on the web.

But first, two more important pieces of info:

1. Folks on the Right have been conditioned to ignore many "liberal" news sources, like the New York Times and NPR below. So they won't even read about the lies.

2. The spinners have a get-out-of-jail-free card, anything can be spun into their grand conspiracies, even the profiteer in the NPR story. Oh no, its not the tens of thousands of advertising dollars from gullible wingnut clicks that motivated him.

How Fake News Goes Viral: A Case Study

---------------

We Tracked Down A Fake-News Creator In The Suburbs. Here's What We Learned

He was amazed at how quickly fake news could spread and how easily people believe it. He wrote one fake story for NationalReport.net about how customers in Colorado marijuana shops were using food stamps to buy pot.

"What that turned into was a state representative in the House in Colorado proposing actual legislation to prevent people from using their food stamps to buy marijuana based on something that had just never happened," Coler says.

During the run-up to the presidential election, fake news really took off. "It was just anybody with a blog can get on there and find a big, huge Facebook group of kind of rabid Trump supporters just waiting to eat up this red meat that they're about to get served," Coler says. "It caused an explosion in the number of sites. I mean, my gosh, the number of just fake accounts on Facebook exploded during the Trump election."

Coler says his writers have tried to write fake news for liberals — but they just never take the bait.

#4 tangogriz

tangogriz

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 07:41 AM

Because of but the Russian hacked Democratic websites and stolen emails, we know that the Russians helped pick this president. 

But, from talking to folks around me who believe this stuff, the Russian and profiteer driven propaganda campaign probably had the greatest influence.

Combine right wing patriotism and Russian propaganda with the profit motive and you get the perfect storm ...

as leader of the free world.

----

Russian propaganda effort helped spread ‘fake news’ during election, experts say

Though widely seen as a propaganda organ, the Russian site [RT, formerly known as Russia Today] has gained credibility with some American conservatives. Trump sat for an interview with RT in September. His nominee for national security adviser, retired Lt. Gen. Michael T. Flynn, traveled to Russia last year for a gala sponsored by the network. He later compared it to CNN.

[Flynn won't disclose his payment from RT for that speech and other consulting work.]

The content from Russian sites has offered ready fodder for U.S.-based websites pushing far-right conservative messages. A former contractor for one, the Next News Network, said he was instructed by the site’s founder, Gary S. Franchi Jr., to weave together reports from traditional sources such as the Associated Press and the Los Angeles Times with ones from RT, Sputnik and others that provided articles that often spread explosively online.

“The readers are more likely to share the fake stories, and they’re more profitable,” said Dyan Bermeo, who said he helped assemble scripts and book guests for Next News Network before leaving because of a pay dispute and concerns that “fake news” was crowding out real news.

In just the past 90 days — a period that has included the closing weeks of the campaign, Election Day and its aftermath — the YouTube audience of Next News Network has jumped from a few hundred thousand views a day to a few million, according to analytics firm Tubular Labs. In October alone, videos from Next News Network were viewed more than 56 million times.