• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Notorious O.D.K.

Notorious O.D.K.

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,400 posts
  • Interests:Grizzlies, Redskins, Tigers and Vols!!!!!!!

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:22 PM

Confirmed by SI and ESPN, no Big12 expansion happening any time soon

#42 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,028 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:22 PM

Well alrighty then.

Again, this is the best news for Memphis, if they ever hope to get in the Big 12.  But I don't see how they shed the dysfunction label, and the conference disbands.  

So, let's just play a little game.  If there is ever a 4 superleague setup, I would assume that West VA and one of the Oklahoma schools would go SEC, then Kansas and either the remaining Oklahoma school or Texas would go Big 10.  

That leaves the PAC 12 to decide just how far east it wants to go to get their 4 teams.  Utah is going to veto BYU.  So assuming whoever is left of the 2nd Okla School or Texas goes west, that leaves 3 open slots and former Big 12 Members Iowa State, Kansas State, Baylor, TCU, and Texas Tech.  Boise State could also be in play, because of football and better geography.

I would like to see the AAC gobble up 2 teams from that list (sans BYU & Boise St).  Any of those 5 would be worth taking in, and I can't see the Mountain West selling any of them - except maybe former member TCU - over what the AAC can provide.

Or would anyone possibly see Memphis start a relationship with the PAC 12 now for future expansion?  I know that sounds crazy, but conferences are getting more geographically diverse.

#43 Notorious O.D.K.

Notorious O.D.K.

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,400 posts
  • Interests:Grizzlies, Redskins, Tigers and Vols!!!!!!!

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:11 PM

Well alrighty then.

Again, this is the best news for Memphis, if they ever hope to get in the Big 12.  But I don't see how they shed the dysfunction label, and the conference disbands.  

So, let's just play a little game.  If there is ever a 4 superleague setup, I would assume that West VA and one of the Oklahoma schools would go SEC, then Kansas and either the remaining Oklahoma school or Texas would go Big 10.  

That leaves the PAC 12 to decide just how far east it wants to go to get their 4 teams.  Utah is going to veto BYU.  So assuming whoever is left of the 2nd Okla School or Texas goes west, that leaves 3 open slots and former Big 12 Members Iowa State, Kansas State, Baylor, TCU, and Texas Tech.  Boise State could also be in play, because of football and better geography.

I would like to see the AAC gobble up 2 teams from that list (sans BYU & Boise St).  Any of those 5 would be worth taking in, and I can't see the Mountain West selling any of them - except maybe former member TCU - over what the AAC can provide.

Or would anyone possibly see Memphis start a relationship with the PAC 12 now for future expansion?  I know that sounds crazy, but conferences are getting more geographically diverse.

I think the best move right now is that the AAC aggressively goes after Boise St. and BYU. That would allow Navy to move to the Eastern division of the conference since they are located in Maryland. I would take it a step farther and invite Air Force and UNLV (or Colorado St,) which would allow Memphis to move to the East division as well and you would have a 16 teams league with really good teams. The fact that Houston, BYU, Boise St and AF would play each other year would yield at least 3 competitive games for each and in the East-Memphis, Temple, Navy, Cincy and the FL schools would give competitive games. Navy and AF already play so that would be their cross-conference game. 

I think the Big 12 is dead and in flux. There was a report that Texas, Texas Tech, OU and OSU were supposed to go to the Pac-12 at the last expansion but it fell through at the last minute and Texas got it's Longhorn network. I don't think big brother(TX, OU) will be so accommodating this time to bring little brother (TTU, OSU) along. i can see Texas and OU going to the Big 10 or Pac-12, maybe the SEC but I hear TX doesn't want to humble itself to be in the SEC. They like to run everything. 

The BIg 12 is as good as dead once Texas and OU leave which I predict will happen before 2020. They will invite maybe 6 teams-some combination of AAC and MW teams. I see that as the future of the Big 12 and they may lose P5 status if those two teams leave.