New Starting Line-up

31 replies to this topic

#1 Gone Fishing

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

Fellow posters, does anyone else think Coach Hollins should return back to the previous starting line-up until he can gradually work Zach and Agent 1-0 back into the flow of the offense and defense?

It just seem like the Grizzlies were playing better with

Conley
TA
Rudy
Mo
Gasol

as the starting five and from the bench bring in:

Arenas
Mayo
Dante
Zach
Gasol/HH.

I think this will help "them" get back to team basketball because they have been playing with each other the past 8-10 weeks. Just a crazy thought. I'm not sure if Coach LH will do this but seems like a good idea.

Also, I like the way Arenas can penetrate and find the open man.

#2 STS

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • Interests:NBA,NFL,MLB,NHL.

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

I want Zbo in starting line up. We need to utilize our bench a little bit better though. DC needs more minutes at the 3 or 4 position. OJ needs less minutes. Our first man off the bench needs to be DC to give Rudy or Zbo rest early. We know how Rudy needs refocusing during long stretches of play.

#3 catalina2013

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

View PostMr. Hibachi, on 23 March 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

Fellow posters, does anyone else think Coach Hollins should return back to the previous starting line-up until he can gradually work Zach and Agent 1-0 back into the flow of the offense and defense?

It just seem like the Grizzlies were playing better with

Conley
TA
Rudy
Mo
Gasol

as the starting five and from the bench bring in:

Arenas
Mayo
Dante
Zach
Gasol/HH.

I think this will help "them" get back to team basketball because they have been playing with each other the past 8-10 weeks. Just a crazy thought. I'm not sure if Coach LH will do this but seems like a good idea.

Also, I like the way Arenas can penetrate and find the open man.

I agree. Although I wouldn't give Hadaddi to much playing time. He is just to slow.

#4 Grizzled Vet

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

I agree that the team without Zach has looked better than the team with Zach.

However, to do anything in the playoffs, Zach will need heavy minutes, mostly with the starters. The earlier this can start happening, the better.

CLH is trying to figure out a rotation now, and this team has depth, so some quality players are going to be sitting.

#5 New_Sacred_Cow

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts
  • Interests:balencesto.

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

Hamed will do a decent job in the playoffs with spot minutes, since they are usually halfcourt based games.

But I think that guys will settle down soon and I think Arenas and Cunningham should be the first off the bench until OJ gets his head back in the game.

#6 southbluffsgrizzfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

View PostGrizzled Vet, on 23 March 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

I agree that the team without Zach has looked better than the team with Zach.

However, to do anything in the playoffs, Zach will need heavy minutes, mostly with the starters. The earlier this can start happening, the better.

CLH is trying to figure out a rotation now, and this team has depth, so some quality players are going to be sitting.
I agree with all that you say, but while LH is tinkering with rotations and end of game lineup and the like, we are beginning a free fall through the Western Conference standings. I know we are 5th today but we are something like a game away from being 9th. And we have to play both LA teams next, go home for 1 game and then back on the road for a bunch more.

Just wait until the MIA trip which is around our back to back to back that is Dal, GSW and OKC.

Seriously, we could easily see ourselves below .500 just a couple weeks after being 4th in the West.

Lionel and the team really need to expedite the "figuring out" process or we are going to go from worrying about whether or not we will host a playoff round to hoping and praying we get in and get the 8th seed so that we can be offered up as a sacrificial lamb to the OKC Thunder.

#7 GTG

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,359 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

Props to LH, the lineup change really paid off tonight. Not only did it seem to re-establish the chemistry of the starting 5, but it also brought more offensive firepower off the bench.

After seeing the results, I hope this wasn't a one time change. The team we saw tonight was lightyears ahead of the team we had seen over the past week or so. That was Playoff level basketball.

#8 STS

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:35 PM

I wonder if coach will stick with this line up during playoff time

#9 catalina2013

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:29 AM

View Postcatalina2013, on 23 March 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

I agree. Although I wouldn't give Hadaddi to much playing time. He is just to slow.

Whoops! After Hadaddi's performance against the Lakers last night; I stand corrected. ^_^

#10 Xerion

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • Interests:Sports, computers and taking photos.

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

Can this somehow affect Z-Bo's chemistry, I mean can he get upset coming off the bench?

#11 chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,325 posts
  • Interests:GRIZZLIES, golf, soccer, women

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

View PostSTS, on 23 March 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

I want Zbo in starting line up. We need to utilize our bench a little bit better though. DC needs more minutes at the 3 or 4 position. OJ needs less minutes. Our first man off the bench needs to be DC to give Rudy or Zbo rest early. We know how Rudy needs refocusing during long stretches of play.

Do you still feel Z-Bo needs to start? The team responds well with Speights starting and with Z-Bo coming off the bench for a while opponents will have a nightmare matching up against our second team.

I believe Pete Pranica said it best last night. It doesn't matter who starts. What matters is who finishes. Mayo and Z-Bo are on the court at the end of close games but the team responds well with Speights and Allen starting the game right now. Stay with the winning combinations.

#12 Gradey

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

IMO its more important to get ZBO playing well with Marc, Rudy, TA and Mike. That is the squad that is our most dominant lineup and one that we need to make sure the oil is changed, tires rotated, new filters and etc. Maybe a bit of pain working them together but are we in it to MAKE the playoffs or to WIN the playoffs?

#13 Gone Fishing

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:42 AM

TA is the engine that runs this ship.

#14 chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,325 posts
  • Interests:GRIZZLIES, golf, soccer, women

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

View PostGradey, on 26 March 2012 - 07:54 AM, said:

IMO its more important to get ZBO playing well with Marc, Rudy, TA and Mike. That is the squad that is our most dominant lineup and one that we need to make sure the oil is changed, tires rotated, new filters and etc. Maybe a bit of pain working them together but are we in it to MAKE the playoffs or to WIN the playoffs?

In my opinion you can't win in the playoffs unless you make the playoffs. Look at the schedule remaining and tell me how the Grizzlies can afford to tinker with the lineup and try to force something that isn't working?

Who cares who starts? I want the team to win and the way I determine that is the score at the END of the game not the players on the court for the opening tip. I support Hollins doing whatever it takes to have more points at the end of the game than their opponent.

#15 STS

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

View Postchipc3, on 26 March 2012 - 07:39 AM, said:

Do you still feel Z-Bo needs to start? The team responds well with Speights starting and with Z-Bo coming off the bench for a while opponents will have a nightmare matching up against our second team.

I believe Pete Pranica said it best last night. It doesn't matter who starts. What matters is who finishes. Mayo and Z-Bo are on the court at the end of close games but the team responds well with Speights and Allen starting the game right now. Stay with the winning combinations.
As of now, ill change my mind lol.The turn around last night wasn't just a fluke. Our team is better with Speights starting. The practice time isn't there to incorporate Zbo into the starting line up with out having a drop off. If Zbo accepts this sixth man type role, we have the best bench player in the NBA. He looked much more comfortable also. All I need to see now is post up/ face up moves like last year

#16 Minarae

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

If z-bo can do a Manu, then everything is well.

30-35mins off the bench, that's a hell of a 6th man.

#17 STS

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostGradey, on 26 March 2012 - 07:54 AM, said:

Last night, Zbo got some valuable minutes with the second team and first. His chemistry with OJ was great last night.

One question though, when we practice, is there a first team, second team, etc? If so zbo might have been working with that second team which showed last night

#18 Grizzled Vet

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

View PostTip City, on 26 March 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

If z-bo can do a Manu, then everything is well.

30-35mins off the bench, that's a hell of a 6th man.

I thought OJ was doing a Manu?

ZBo was still at 28 minutes last night, and in two weeks, I expect him to be at about 34-36...

It might not be whether ZBo can handle it, but can Speights. From what I've seen, ZBo can handle coming off the bench, but I'm not too sure about Mo.

Whatever helps them win.

#19 Gone Fishing

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

Where's GA? He'll probably play against the Wolves, Coach Hollins is going to need him come April.

#20 Gradey

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

I hear ya Chip, but honestly, I'd rather get the team working correctly right now than to go into the playoffs with more fools gold. If we are loosing games to Toronto, Sac, and Portland with consistency then we dont need to be a playoff team. I think we will end up going around even the rest of the way. In my opinion, the team has too much going on. Lets draw back some and play fewer people and COMMIT to a style of play and make it happen. That was what was so great about our run last playoffs was the commitment to a style of ball and then the guts and tenacity to make it happen. Now, it just seems we are so busy reacting to what the other team is doing that we have forgotten that WE can be the team that forces play style. We play down to teams, we play up to teams....wtf, lets be the Grizz. I dont know what the goal for this teams style is because its just so everywhere now. God knows we cant shoot, so stop trying it. Make them pack everyone inside again and then maybe we can hit a cuple of jumpers. Go back to what was working instead of making it up again on the fly. Thats what I want to see.

3/27 vs Minn (W)
3/30 @ Hou (L)
3/31 @ Mil (W)

4/2 @ OKC (L)
4/3 vs GLDS (W)
4/4 @ DAL (L)
4/6 @ MIA (L)
4/7 vs DAL (L)
4/9 vs LAC (L)
4/11 vs PHX (W)
4/12 @ SAN (L)
4/14 vs UTA (W)