3 replies to this topic

#1 TheStephensonConundrum

TheStephensonConundrum

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:56 AM

What in the world is up with the Miami Heat? They've been the best team in the NBA since mid-January. They're on pace to be one of the hottest bottom-half seeds in the history of the NBA playoffs. And they start Luke Babbitt.

Also, calling out the pseudo-analysts who called Spoelstra overrated just because he coached (and won with) LeBron. I think this season validates his coaching, whether the make the playoffs or not. He got a team, where at least 80% are scrubs, playing at an elite level.

#2 chipc3

chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,837 posts
  • Interests:GRIZZLIES, golf, soccer, women

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:09 AM

Fizdale loses his mind for a stretch of games costing the Grizzlies a serious shot at home court advantage in the playoffs. Spoelstra turns a terrible Heat team around to make an unbelievable playoff push.

Maybe the Grizzlies didn't get the real brains behind the Heat's success after all.

#3 Allen

Allen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,908 posts
  • Location:The City Where I live in and the City Where im from

Posted Yesterday, 11:14 AM

I thought coaches don't make any difference Chip?

#4 chipc3

chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,837 posts
  • Interests:GRIZZLIES, golf, soccer, women

Posted Yesterday, 02:07 PM

I thought coaches don't make any difference Chip?

In the long run they don't. In the short run they can make a difference. A coach can cost a team a few games here and there (although not nearly as many as they get blamed for by all knowing fans). So Fizdale can start a terrible lineup for a few games but eventually, (unless he's totally devoid of intelligence and very few coaches reach this level without intelligence) he'll figure out the proper lineup and then the team's talent ultimately determines the outcome. 

What I have repeatedly said is a coach can't take a talent-less team and make them great. They can't even take a mediocre team and make them great. You need talent. Give a terrible coach a talent loaded team and he'll win games. He could even win a title given enough talent. In the end result it is the talent on the team not the coach that determines a team's success or failure.