Photo

Has Mike Conley Earned His Contract This Year?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 BigHunkALove

BigHunkALove

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,042 posts
  • Interests:Rockabilly, Delta Blues, Gretsch guitars,Grizzlies, Grizz followers thoughts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:15 PM

Simple question

My answer: Definitely, especially considering what all the NBA "fan darlings" are going to get in the upcoming FA

#22 The REF

The REF

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:07 AM

Why can't he make the all star game? Is it political or he's just not that great?

#23 smit-tay griz

smit-tay griz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,733 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:41 AM

mike not worth 30million a year only L.JAMES is. but i,m happy with is play this year and gasol also

Since LeBron makes $31 mil this season and Mike only makes $26 mil, I guess that is more appropriate isn't it?

#24 New_Sacred_Cow

New_Sacred_Cow

1st Team

• Game Thread
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:43 AM

Why can't he make the all star game? Is it political or he's just not that great?

Had Mike not gotten injured then I think he would have made it this year. If they can find a proper way to get another starting wing that can be a playmaker and increase Mike's scoring load then I think that gives him a better shot next season at making it.

#25 The REF

The REF

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:47 AM

Had Mike not gotten injured then I think he would have made it this year. If they can find a proper way to get another starting wing that can be a playmaker and increase Mike's scoring load then I think that gives him a better shot next season at making it.

Great point!  I know he's shooting for IT in 2018.

#26 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,470 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:50 AM

The main reason Mike can't make the allstar team is that the grizzlies, just being a team that is seen as a middle of the pack contender, are only afforded one allstar from their team a year.

That, coupled with the fact that, many people believe that Marc is the most important player on the team, puts Mike behind the eightball. He has to overcome not only all of the great pgs in the west, but his on teammate as well.

#27 Blackwatch

Blackwatch

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

The main reason Mike can't make the allstar team is that the grizzlies, just being a team that is seen as a middle of the pack contender, are only afforded one allstar from their team a year.

That, coupled with the fact that, many people believe that Marc is the most important player on the team, puts Mike behind the eightball. He has to overcome not only all of the great pgs in the west, but his on teammate as well.

Conley is just too inconsistent with his production. Some nights, he is an all star caliber player, then for the next 2 or 3 games, he goes incognito and disappears. You can't be an all star level player who only is productive 30-40% of the games.

In terms of his contract, I think he has maxed out his talent and skill development. We are getting the best Conley has to offer and will ever offer. Is that enough to justify the richest contract in league history to this point? heck no. But, like someone said earlier, I understand why the Grizz gave him the contract. He's a great player to have on the team, but he is not the foundation for a championship. A contract like that says that the team is building a championship contender with him as the foundation. He is just not "that player". That is someone like LeBron, Steph Curry, KD, Anthony Davis, etc.

#28 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,470 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:13 AM

Conley is just too inconsistent with his production. Some nights, he is an all star caliber player, then for the next 2 or 3 games, he goes incognito and disappears. You can't be an all star level player who only is productive 30-40% of the games.

In terms of his contract, I think he has maxed out his talent and skill development. We are getting the best Conley has to offer and will ever offer. Is that enough to justify the richest contract in league history to this point? heck no. But, like someone said earlier, I understand why the Grizz gave him the contract. He's a great player to have on the team, but he is not the foundation for a championship. A contract like that says that the team is building a championship contender with him as the foundation. He is just not "that player". That is someone like LeBron, Steph Curry, KD, Anthony Davis, etc.

I'm not sure what this has to do with what I said about why Mike Conley hasnt already become an All-star.

#29 Blackwatch

Blackwatch

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:33 AM

I'm not sure what this has to do with what I said about why Mike Conley hasnt already become an All-star.

Well, it's his inconsistency that really prevents him from being an All-star. There is no rule about certain teams being afforded one all star player. If he was good enough, on a more consistent basis, he would get in. May not ever get voted in by fans, but coaches would notice.

#30 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,470 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:35 AM

Well, it's his inconsistency that really prevents him from being an All-star. There is no rule about certain teams being afforded one all star player. If he was good enough, on a more consistent basis, he would get in. May not ever get voted in by fans, but coaches would notice.

So you're trying to tell me Klay Thompson brings it every night you want me to show you some game logs

#31 Blackwatch

Blackwatch

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:54 AM

So you're trying to tell me Klay Thompson brings it every night you want me to show you some game logs

When Thompson brings it, he is way more effective than Conley. Has Conley ever put up 40 in a quarter? Conley has never put up 40 in a game. C'mon chief, lets not be ridiculous.

#32 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,470 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:05 AM

When Thompson brings it, he is way more effective than Conley. Has Conley ever put up 40 in a quarter? Conley has never put up 40 in a game. C'mon chief, lets not be ridiculous.

Gotcha it makes perfect sense now

#33 TimBC

TimBC

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,622 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:16 PM

Conley may be held back by the fact that he often has very few points in the first quarter. 

If you want to get noticed as a star, you need to put up 40 occasionally, and you can't get there with four in the first. 

#34 Ariza68

Ariza68

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:48 PM

You boys, as grizzlies fans can say anything you want to sweeten that horrible contract but at the end of the day you did sorely overpay for a middle of the pack NBA point guard. 

#35 Acehigh718

Acehigh718

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:57 PM

KBM, I've got nothing but love for you, but words can't describe how much I hate this thread.

#36 Allen

Allen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,968 posts
  • Location:The City Where I live in and the City Where im from

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:03 AM

You boys, as grizzlies fans can say anything you want to sweeten that horrible contract but at the end of the day you did sorely overpay for a middle of the pack NBA point guard.

A bunch of point guards are about to get bigger contracts than Conley