72 replies to this topic

#41 New_Sacred_Cow

New_Sacred_Cow

1st Team

• Game Thread
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:35 AM

I think Troy Williams has more upside but I will say that Selden is a lot more consistent.

It's more annoying that we let a talented piece go for absolutely nothing. Complete boneheaded and shortsighted move from Chris Wallace.

#42 MemphisX

MemphisX

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,651 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:52 AM

Hopefully it won't matter.

Next season we need a serious wing just in case Parsons never recovers. Don't know who is available but neither Williams or Seldon are the answer.

Be nice if we somehow struck gold and Rade is a stud.

#43 chipc3

chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,837 posts
  • Interests:GRIZZLIES, golf, soccer, women

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

Next season we need a serious wing just in case Parsons never recovers. Don't know who is available but neither Williams or Seldon are the answer.

That's kind of where we are right now. First, hope Parsons is ready to contribute next year. Second, hope Ennis earns consistent minutes and contributes. Third, hope Rade is better than he's showing overseas this year. Finally, pray on free agency or a trade. 

#44 TimBC

TimBC

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,595 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:08 AM

It's happened to many other teams, but in all these years the Griz have never had that. 

#45 scooter

scooter

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:14 PM

It's happened to many other teams, but in all these years the Griz have never had that. 

So true.

#46 New_Sacred_Cow

New_Sacred_Cow

1st Team

• Game Thread
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:52 PM

We don't necessarily need a stud player though. We just need someone that can play his role in the team by being a consistent 3D player. I think James Ennis can be that guy, maybe Vince Carter if he keeps up this play, or maybe someone like Thabo Sefolosha.

I would love for Rade to be amazing but hard expect a rookie player come out swinging.

#47 GF#1

GF#1

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,066 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

We don't necessarily need a stud player though. We just need someone that can play his role in the team by being a consistent 3D player. I think James Ennis can be that guy, maybe Vince Carter if he keeps up this play, or maybe someone like Thabo Sefolosha.

I would love for Rade to be amazing but hard expect a rookie player come out swinging.

Playing a dangerous game if the team expects Vince to play a vital role next season.

#48 chipc3

chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,837 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:59 PM

Playing a dangerous game if the team expects Vince to play a vital role next season.

Vince looks a lot better this season than the last two but I have to agree it would be dangerous to count on him too much next year but then again the team may not have an option in that regard. 

#49 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:04 PM

What's funny, is what this really means is Wade Selden will now get more D-League experience...

#50 chipc3

chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,837 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

What's funny, is what this really means is Wade Selden will now get more D-League experience...

Funny but last season so many people complained that the D-League didn't help people reach the NBA. I remember people being so critical of Joerger using the D-League to help players stay in shape who wouldn't otherwise play. 

Amazing how improved the D-League is this season since no one is complaining about Baldwin, Martin and once again Davis playing so many games down there. 

#51 Dwash

Dwash

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,524 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:59 PM

Good lord how long we been needing a serious wing?

#52 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:03 PM

Funny but last season so many people complained that the D-League didn't help people reach the NBA. I remember people being so critical of Joerger using the D-League to help players stay in shape who wouldn't otherwise play. 

Amazing how improved the D-League is this season since no one is complaining about Baldwin, Martin and once again Davis playing so many games down there. 

I think part of that is the perception that Fizz plays his younger guys real minutes.  That and the zany way they have been rotating them in and out (which I think it's either this year or last year was the first time teams could shuffle players so freely).

I wonder how that perception will change once our D-League team is right around the corner?

#53 ItIsWhatItIs

ItIsWhatItIs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,776 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:05 PM

I don't think anyone is complaining about it because they realize Baldwin and Martin are busts

#54 Notorious O.D.K.

Notorious O.D.K.

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,400 posts
  • Interests:Grizzlies, Redskins, Tigers and Vols!!!!!!!

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:09 PM

I think Troy Williams has more upside but I will say that Selden is a lot more consistent.

It's more annoying that we let a talented piece go for absolutely nothing. Complete boneheaded and shortsighted move from Chris Wallace.

Sad thing is that out of Harrison, Selden and Williams, I would say Harrison is the odd man out but he's been the one getting the most pt in the NBA and the biggest opportunity. IDK, maybe because he spent a year in teh D-League and they are true rookies. 

#55 tjazz22

tjazz22

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:10 PM

https://youtu.be/Lndjii0aQ9s

Seldon could be interesting

Whooaa... Didn't know he had all of that in his game🤔

#56 GrizzTigerFan

GrizzTigerFan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,529 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:10 PM

Sad thing is that out of Harrison, Selden and Williams, I would say Harrison is the odd man out but he's been the one getting the most pt in the NBA and the biggest opportunity. IDK, maybe because he spent a year in teh D-League and they are true rookies.

Why does everyone seem to forget that Harrison is a PG? The only rookie that competes with him is Baldwin.

the wing rookies are competing with Tony, Ennis, Vince and Daniels so in other words the deck is stacked against them.

So no Harrison isn't the odd man out and that says more about Wade than it does him.

#57 BigHunkALove

BigHunkALove

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts
  • Interests:Rockabilly, Delta Blues, Gretsch guitars,Grizzlies, Grizz followers thoughts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:25 AM

Why does everyone seem to forget that Harrison is a PG? The only rookie that competes with him is Baldwin.

the wing rookies are competing with Tony, Ennis, Vince and Daniels so in other words the deck is stacked against them.

So no Harrison isn't the odd man out and that says more about Wade than it does him.

Correct, not sure why this is so hard to understand unless people are getting confused by the very rare occasions where Harrison and Mike have both started.

It also says a lot about the talent evaluation and draft selections made by our FO (picking Baldwin, then realising he's not upto it right now, waiving Williams for Douglas, then realising Douglas was no good either)

#58 chipc3

chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,837 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:07 AM

I think part of that is the mis-perception that Fizz plays his younger guys real minutes.  That and the zany way they have been rotating them in and out (which I think it's either this year or last year was the first time teams could shuffle players so freely).

I wonder how that perception will change once our D-League team is right around the corner?

Small correction in your post. 

The truth is Fizdale has played Harrison (some would say too much) not because of his love of his game but simply for the lack of any viable alternative. The rest of the youth has spent the majority of time in the D-League.

He played Davis and Martin early in the season when Parson and Wright were out and Gasol was on a severe minutes restriction. He played Williams when Parsons was out and Ennis was injured. He played Harrison and Baldwin when Conley was on a minutes restriction and injured. When Conley was freed up Baldwin went down. Fizdale benched Harrison to play Tony Allen at the point at one point and clearly preferred Toney Douglas over Harrison for a long period of time. Now the team is rolling the dice that Conley and/or Harrison won't get injured heading into the playoffs or who will be the PG? 

Now maybe the D-League can help younger players learn the game so they can come up and produce in the future. Or maybe Fizdale is just being given a pass this year because he is new and has a pretty wife. Or possibly, finally I might add, people are realizing that the coach doesn't have as much to say about rosters as posters believed last year and are properly directing their angst at the GM. 

#59 GrizzTigerFan

GrizzTigerFan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,529 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:03 AM

Correct, not sure why this is so hard to understand unless people are getting confused by the very rare occasions where Harrison and Mike have both started.

It also says a lot about the talent evaluation and draft selections made by our FO (picking Baldwin, then realising he's not upto it right now, waiving Williams for Douglas, then realising Douglas was no good either)

Let's hope we strike gold on the Rade Zagorac pick.  Because Herrington made a good point in his article yesterday in regards to Selden Vs Williams.

http://www.commercia...track/99419018/

Picking up free agent veteran guard Toney Douglas was a good move, and then a bad one. When Mike Conley was out and the Grizzlies were granted an extra roster spot to play around with, Douglas provided a nice short-term lift. But bringing him back to supplant Andrew Harrison cost the Grizzlies a player they liked in Troy Williams, whom the Grizzlies had on a cheap, team-controlled contract for next season. With talented wings hard to come by in the current NBA, a developmental play on Williams made a lot of sense. But the Houston Rockets snatched up Williams after the Grizzlies let him go, presumably for similarly speculative reasons.

Now, having soured on Douglas, the team has entered into a similar deal with Wayne Selden, the former Kansas guard with a prototype NBA two-guard body and prospect’s reputation who never fully bloomed in college. The question here is whether they would have preferred to bring back Williams if given the option.

In Williams favor: The team had both players in the preseason and made their choice then. Nothing in their relative NBA or (mainly) D League play (both with the Iowa Energy) is particularly suggestive either way.

In Selden’s favor: Position. Wing roles are somewhat interchangeable, but Williams projects more as a three, Selden as a two. Next season, the Grizzlies will, in theory, have a full depth chart at the three with Parsons, Ennis, and incoming rookie Rade Zagorac. The team will likely be looking for cost-effective contributors at the two. It’s worth trying to find out if Selden can be that.

So potential roster next season

PG: Mike/Harrison/Wade

SG: Selden/Daniels

SF: Parsons/Ennis/Rade

PF: Wright/*Zbo*/Martin

C: Gasol/Davis

That's 12 roster spots (including assumed resigned zbo).   Rade (profiles as a 6'9' shooter, w/some ball-handling and passing ability) seems like the natural successor to Parsons, if he never recovers.   Selden can become the new 3D wing hustle glue guy to replace Tony Allen.  He also being locked up on a cheap deal allows us to make another move in FA besides just resigning Zbo such as potentially being able to resign JaMyke or pickup TJones. 

#60 chipc3

chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,837 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:43 AM

I hope there are no plans to start Seldon or Daniels next season. If the team is planning on letting Allen go and use those two as replacements the team won't be very good next year.