Photo

Should The Grizzlies Consider Using The Stretch Provision On Chander Parsons?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,273 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:51 PM

I'd be a tough pill to swallow, but what gives you hope that he can a.) play a whole season and b.) regain his form after the albatross that was this season.

In poker, they call this a crying call. When you know that you are beat but there is so much money in the pot that you make a crying call hoping for a miracle.

They would save about 15 million a year in cap for the next 3 years

#2 fanboyslim

fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,537 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:20 PM

I'd be a tough pill to swallow, but what gives you hope that he can a.) play a whole season and b.) regain his form after the albatross that was this season.

In poker, they call this a crying call. When you know that you are beat but there is so much money in the pot that you make a crying call hoping for a miracle.

They would save about 15 million a year in cap for the next 3 years

And carry 10 million a year for the four years after that. No thanks.

#3 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,273 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:44 PM

And carry 10 million a year for the four years after that. No thanks.

That's the trade off. lol It's going to be tough though

#4 Dwash

Dwash

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,515 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:47 PM

Its worth thinking about. The 4 years after his deal is up won't be very good anyway. However, who are they gonna sign with that extra money? Will they even have any Cap room if they are over?

In the end its too shameful to admit your mistake so it won't happen.

#5 tangogriz

tangogriz

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Interests:I used to be all messed up on Quake3,
    now I'm all messed up on the Grizzlies.

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:26 AM

Sure. Why not. Let's stretch him. We're all gonna die some day anyway.

#6 GrizzTigerFan

GrizzTigerFan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,526 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:53 AM

They may not need to stretch him right away but they better go find a legit perimeter player in Free Agency this Summer.   Shabazz Muhummad is my number one target.  Other than him we would need a trade to acquire that type of player (Wilson Chandler, Sean Kilpatrick,Gerald Henderson, or Nick Young).    

With or without Chandler we don't have enough dynamic perimeter players offensively on the team.  I truly hope Wallace doesn't just plan on resigning Tony and Vince.   Bottomline we need some legit options on the wing to replace their production and as insurance for Parsons not returning to form.  I don't have much faith that Ennis or Daniels can become dynamic wing scorers.  Nor do i see Rade, Wade, or Harrison being that type of player next season.  

If we strike out on all of those options then i would rather them go overseas and grab Jamaal Franklin rather than resiging Tony or Vince. 

#7 GF#1

GF#1

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,064 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

They may not need to stretch him right away but they better go find a legit perimeter player in Free Agency this Summer.   Shabazz Muhummad is my number one target.  Other than him we would need a trade to acquire that type of player (Wilson Chandler, Sean Kilpatrick,Gerald Henderson, or Nick Young).    

With or without Chandler we don't have enough dynamic perimeter players offensively on the team.  I truly hope Wallace doesn't just plan on resigning Tony and Vince.   Bottomline we need some legit options on the wing to replace their production and as insurance for Parsons not returning to form.  I don't have much faith that Ennis or Daniels can become dynamic wing scorers.  Nor do i see Rade, Wade, or Harrison being that type of player next season.  

If we strike out on all of those options then i would rather them go overseas and grab Jamaal Franklin rather than resiging Tony or Vince. 

Re-signing Tony and/or Vince would be highly short sighted moves that I would be incredibly disappointed with.

#8 GrizzTigerFan

GrizzTigerFan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,526 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:06 AM

Re-signing Tony and/or Vince would be highly short sighted moves that I would be incredibly disappointed with.

Yes but i am scared to death that CWallace will end up doing it.   I would rather go grab another D-League guy to develop then go back to the Tony Allen well next year.

I am done with hearing about this mythical magical "window" that appears to never close on the CORE4 although we haven't hung one single banner of any type.  Let this year truly be the swan sung for GNG.  

#9 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,273 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:11 AM

Yes but i am scared to death that CWallace will end up doing it.   I would rather go grab another D-League guy to develop then go back to the Tony Allen well next year.

I am done with hearing about this mythical magical "window" that appears to never close on the CORE4 although we haven't hung one single banner of any type.  Let this year truly be the swan sung for GNG.  

This is really about the stretch provision. Not about roster moves or breaking up grit and grind.

Would it be better to cut bait. And the thing is that if they don't stretch him and we continue to extract something out of the contract, it will be far worse than if Wallace decides to keep the core 4 together anyway. So let's talk about what this thread is about, which to me is the biggest decision this organization has ever had to face and will face.

#10 Wells

Wells

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,992 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

Why are you thinking we need to cut Parsons, one year into a four year contract?  He could come back at training camp in all star form, for all you know.

#11 Dwash

Dwash

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,515 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

Why are you thinking we need to cut Parsons, one year into a four year contract? He could come back at training camp in all star form, for all you know.

Yeah they will give him another shot for sure and if it doesn't work by year 3 or 4 he just becomes a tradeable expiring deal. That's usually how this stuff plays out and I don't see Wallace a guy who will buck any trends.

#12 GrizzTigerFan

GrizzTigerFan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,526 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:53 AM

This is really about the stretch provision. Not about roster moves or breaking up grit and grind.

Would it be better to cut bait. And the thing is that if they don't stretch him and we continue to extract something out of the contract, it will be far worse than if Wallace decides to keep the core 4 together anyway. So let's talk about what this thread is about, which to me is the biggest decision this organization has ever had to face and will face.

I'll clarify.   Using the stretch provision shouldn't be entertained until you get more pieces in place that can replicate what we need Parsons to do but cheaper.  

If I were GM then i would give Parsons another season before stretching him but i would try my darndest to get Shabazz in the meanwhile.   Then i would have a full season to evaluate both guys and make a more informed decision before stretching.    

Stretching Parsons while not already having a suitable replacement in place is a waste. 

Next season will determine Parsons fate.   My fear is that even if his NBA career isn't over - his days as a SF may be.   Knee injuries to a guy with limited athleticism to begin with is the death knell to a perimeter player in today's NBA.    Since i don't want to bring Tony or Vince back then that means we need another SF type on the roster. 

Only guys that potentially will be under contract that play that position for us will be Ennis, Martin, and Rade.  If Parsons still stinks then none of those other options help.

#13 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,273 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:08 AM

I'll clarify.   Using the stretch provision shouldn't be entertained until you get more pieces in place that can replicate what we need Parsons to do but cheaper.  

If I were GM then i would give Parsons another season before stretching him but i would try my darndest to get Shabazz in the meanwhile.   Then i would have a full season to evaluate both guys and make a more informed decision before stretching.    

Stretching Parsons while not already having a suitable replacement in place is a waste. 

Next season will determine Parsons fate.   My fear is that even if his NBA career isn't over - his days as a SF may be.   Knee injuries to a guy with limited athleticism to begin with is the death knell to a perimeter player in today's NBA.    Since i don't want to bring Tony or Vince back then that means we need another SF type on the roster. 

Only guys that potentially will be under contract that play that position for us will be Ennis, Martin, and Rade.  If Parsons still stinks then none of those other options help.

We'll obviously you don't want to stand pat, but your post seems more of a puff piece about your love for Shabazz than about your advice to find a replacement for parsons before you stretch him.

Stretching him of course gives you more flexibility to bring in more players, but the idea of this thread is if we should stretch 70 million without getting any return, over the risk of torpedoing your team for the next 2 or more years chasing after bad money.

All the other stuff you are mentioning isn't that important.

#14 chasingpapes

chasingpapes

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

Ya'll do understand that stretchin Parsons after this season would mean he would take up 10 million in capspace for the NEXT SEVEN YEARS right? 

Thank god none of ya'll suggestin it are GM lol.

#15 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,273 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:44 PM

Ya'll do understand that stretchin Parsons after this season would mean he would take up 10 million in capspace for the NEXT SEVEN YEARS right? 

Thank god none of ya'll suggestin it are GM lol.

yes we realize it

#16 chasingpapes

chasingpapes

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:03 PM

yes we realize it

Are you sure? Because you mention that we'll "save about 15 million a year in cap for the next 3 years" when we're probably goin to be over the cap anyways. But you make no mention of it costin 10 mill each of the followin four years when Conley/Gasol come off the books.

#17 Allen

Allen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,895 posts
  • Location:The City Where I live in and the City Where im from

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:03 PM

It would be better to just bite the bullet for the next three years

#18 PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan

PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

heck no...imo parsons isnt washed up...the grizz did the same thing dallas did and brought back parsons before he was ready...he didnt hurt the knee he had surgery on but the other...obviously he was compensating to much to one side of his body...u guys remember when the team went to that sport science place how they mention you can injury another part of your body because one part is jacked up.

#19 GF#1

GF#1

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,064 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:55 PM

Can we at least wait until Parsons has had a full offseason of conditioning and rehab before we totally write him off for the next three years?

#20 Dwash

Dwash

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,515 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:25 PM

Can we at least wait until Parsons has had a full offseason of conditioning and rehab before we totally write him off for the next three years?

Nah just write him off. He's done.