133 replies to this topic

#101 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,330 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:13 PM

Then you are saying the Grizzlies aren't rebuilding? I think maybe you should look at the comment I was originally replying to.

The grizzlies rebuilding began last year when they traded Courtney Lee and Jeff Green at the deadline.

#102 Dwash

Dwash

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,524 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:49 PM

The grizzlies rebuilding began last year when they traded Courtney Lee and Jeff Green at the deadline.

Lol. Thats called a failed attempt to keep patching a non contender.

#103 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,330 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:06 PM

Lol. Thats called a failed attempt to keep patching a non contender.

No that's called getting younger. If you want a firesale, or something more than that I think you are going to wait a while.

The grizzlies are in the midst of developing several young guys: martin, Baldwin, davis, Harrison, selden. They will be bringing rade over next year.

The grizzlies will have 4 picks in 2018, which will further get the team younger. These guys are the future.

Right now the grizzlies have 6 guys out of 15 that are older: vince, tony, parsons, marc, mike, zbo. And 6 rookies are 1 to 2 year players. This is your rebuild, it's the spurs way to rebuild. 

#104 grizz1016

grizz1016

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:28 PM

No that's called getting younger. If you want a firesale, or something more than that I think you are going to wait a while.

The grizzlies are in the midst of developing several young guys: martin, Baldwin, davis, Harrison, selden. They will be bringing rade over next year.

The grizzlies will have 4 picks in 2018, which will further get the team younger. These guys are the future.

Right now the grizzlies have 6 guys out of 15 that are older: vince, tony, parsons, marc, mike, zbo. And 6 rookies are 1 to 2 year players. This is your rebuild, it's the spurs way to rebuild.

Apparently for us to rebuild, some fans think we need to give up a few seasons of playoffs. I agree with you...we have started rebuilding. Let's hope the young guys we have and will be drafting pays off.

#105 TimBC

TimBC

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,595 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:38 PM

Meanwhile other teams are developing Embiid, Saric, Brogdon, Hernangomez, Chriss, Hield, Ferrell, 

Jaylen Brown, McGruder, Murray, and don't forget Ben Simmons

Second-year players? Towns, Jokic, Wiliams, Holmes, Porzingis, Russell, Turner, Cauley-Stein, Kaminsky, Booker, NcConnell, Hollis-Jefferson, Okafor, Bjelica, Portis, ...  

We're bringing knives to a gunfight. 

#106 MemphisX

MemphisX

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,651 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:24 PM

Many of the people who throw out names each season throw out more than one. The Grizzlies don't have that luxury.

Grizzlies have way more info than we do and still can't hit on a pick.

#107 BigHunkALove

BigHunkALove

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts
  • Interests:Rockabilly, Delta Blues, Gretsch guitars,Grizzlies, Grizz followers thoughts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:24 PM

Right now the grizzlies have 6 guys out of 15 that are older: vince, tony, parsons, marc, mike, zbo. And 6 rookies are 1 to 2 year players. This is your rebuild, it's the spurs way to rebuild.

^^^ probably more accurately described as "retooling"

Firesale = moving Marc and Mike = rebuilding

#108 MemphisX

MemphisX

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,651 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

Since Pau, have the Grizzlies drafted the best player available?

#109 fanboyslim

fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,541 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:41 PM

I would think Mike Conley and Kevin Love were the BPAs at the time.

#110 Dwash

Dwash

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,524 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:08 PM

I have already accepted that this team is content with patching along a second rate "contender" that just prays for kd or somebody to get hurt every year so there is no need to let me know "it will be a while." They owe a 2019 pick to Boston Anyway so I'm hoping it doesn't fall apart before then anyway.

#111 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:20 PM

Technically, Pau was drafted by Atlanta.  

#112 Wells

Wells

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:41 PM

Technically, Pau was drafted by Atlanta.

Correct, Shane was the Grizzlies pick.

#113 Grizzled Vet

Grizzled Vet

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:08 PM

I wonder how much of the lack of draft success has been a talent selection issue, and how much has been a player development issue.

DeMarre Carroll has out performed his 27th pick in the draft selection.

None of his great performance was in Memphis, however.

I don't fault Wallace's drafting for that, I would fault whatever structure he set up for player development, however.

Side note: I think 10 guys from that 2009 draft have worn Memphis Grizzlies uniforms in a regular season game.

#114 The Stro Show

The Stro Show

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:19 PM

5. Trading Stromile Emaunel Swift to the Nets for Jason Collins.
4. Not making McDonalds All-America Josh Selby starting PG
3. Chandler Parsons
2. Not giving Marco Jaric the green light to shoot more
1. Not resigning Haddadi

#115 Allen

Allen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,911 posts
  • Location:The City Where I live in and the City Where im from

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:46 AM

Kevin B do you really think building around D league players and second round picks is a good idea?

#116 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,330 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:02 AM

Kevin B do you really think building around D league players and second round picks is a good idea?

I think you can find talent everywhere. Draymond Green was a second round pick and so was Marc and so was Manu. Malcolm Brogdon looks like the latest superstar to be picked in the second round.

Of course in your mind I'm sure you think Ben Simmons is the next Lebron and Joel Embiid is Hakeem. Let me just save you the trouble, they ain't.

The spurs currently start 2 players who developed in the d-league: dedmon and danny green, and Jam green will be one of the most sought after free agents this year ahead of many guys with first round pedigrees. Not to mention Hassan Whiteside.

#117 Teddy.B

Teddy.B

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:21 AM

Your ridiculous blinders never fail to amaze me. Ben Simmons will be Magic Johnson incarnate. He'll be a better passer than Conley the first time he steps on an NBA court.

#118 chipc3

chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,837 posts
  • Interests:GRIZZLIES, golf, soccer, women

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:23 AM

Your ridiculous blinders never fail to amaze me. Ben Simmons will be Magic Johnson incarnate. He'll be a better passer than Conley the first time he steps on an NBA court.

You may believe that but I don't think you should have put that in writing.  ;)

#119 Teddy.B

Teddy.B

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:29 AM

I've drafted better than C.Wallace and put it in writing. We'd have a working wing rotation now based on my drafting. I've sat on this and next year will pull it out. 

Of course, if the guy can't get past his injury I'm gonna look like an ***.

#120 Allen

Allen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,911 posts
  • Location:The City Where I live in and the City Where im from

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:21 PM

I just wanted to point out that the player I wanted in the draft two years ago just dropped 70 pts.

Most of these "mistakes" are a direct effect of the FO refusal to touch the core 4 in any way. TA should have been traded in a George Hill/Leonard type trade years ago.