133 replies to this topic

#41 MemphisX

MemphisX

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,651 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:45 AM

There are two ways to do this: You can go with how the move was seen when it was made or how the move ultimately turned out.  I will go with the former.

1. Thabeet...this single move likely cost us a championship especially since we had an assistant GM that loved Curry.  However, even if we take Tyreke Evans, we likely have better roster balance.  Never trade for Ronnie Brewer.  (for some perspective, the 1st rounder we used on Brewer could have netted us Jimmy Butler) Could easily transition Mayo to combo guard off the bench.  

2. Passing on Draymond Green even though he had a great Memphis workout.

3. Ignoring the head coach and passing on Rodney Hood

4. Not giving Rudy Gay the contract he wanted and then giving him more than you can afford less than a year later.

5. Waiving Hasaan Whiteside then not having a backup for Marc that eventually cost us having Ennis on a much more favorable contract.

#42 Thomas

Thomas

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

Chris Wallace

This is the all-encompassing blunder.

#43 Wells

Wells

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:17 PM

1) Trading Shane Battier instead of Pau Gasol. - Shane got us Rudy Gay, but Pau probably would have gotten us LaMarcus Aldridge along with some additional picks. Combine losing Shane and releasing Ren, that cut out out the heart and soul of the team.

2) Thabeet - no need to beat the dead horse

3) Marc Iavarroni - don't get me started

4) Letting Lionel Hollins leave. People blame Lionel for not being flexible, but no one says that Levien should have been.

5) Trading Dante Cunningham for three months of Wayne Ellington. Cunningham was born for Grit 'n' Grind.

#44 lions

lions

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Interests:sports

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:08 PM

1   moving to memphis  2 .signing of BIG COUNTRY REEVES 3. signing of michael dickerson 4. trading ruy gay 5. signing  chandler parson  6. drafting THABURST

#45 Dwash

Dwash

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,524 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:53 PM

Draymond would be a mediocre role player sitting in the corner half dead on the Grizzlies team.

#46 BHZMAFIA

BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:06 PM

Draymond would be a mediocre role player sitting in the corner half dead on the Grizzlies team.

Somewhat agree -- similar to what happened to Carroll here.

We wouldn't have the spacing to make Draymond a lethal threat in Memphis. We would've tried to slot him into SF with Zbo/Marc, which would have most definitely lowered his ceiling. This is what I think when Vernon is always touting on the radio about us not getting Draymond and how he would've been perfect here. 

Maybe we would have brought him off the bench like GSW originally did and the 2nd unit would've been ran through him as the point forward? Idk.

#47 Dwash

Dwash

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,524 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:11 PM

Somewhat agree -- similar to what happened to Carroll here.

We wouldn't have the spacing to make Draymond a lethal threat in Memphis. We would've tried to slot him into SF with Zbo/Marc, which would have most definitely lowered his ceiling. This is what I think when Vernon is always touting on the radio about us not getting Draymond and how he would've been perfect here. 

Maybe we would have brought him off the bench like GSW originally did and the 2nd unit would've been ran through him as the point forward? Idk.

I just think everything would be different.  Part of what makes his point forward duties look so good is that he is kicking it to two of the greatest shooters of all time, lol.  Here he would have to be more of a scorer.  Even his cockiness and attitude has picked up as his success and confidence has grown (thus all of the technicals).  You wouldn't see nearly as much of that attitude as a bench player.

In all honestly James Johnson was a better fit for G and G cause of his athleticism which was needed, but they didn't give him a chance.

#48 TimBC

TimBC

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,595 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

2 .signing of BIG COUNTRY REEVES 3. signing of michael dickerson  

Yeah, the nerve of those guys, getting hurt. Losers!

#49 MemphisX

MemphisX

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,651 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:35 PM

Well then you can say that about anyone the Grizzlies passed in the draft.

#50 lions

lions

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:11 PM

Yeah, the nerve of those guys, getting hurt. Losers!Big country reeves was 300 POUNDS before the grizzlies sign him to that contract ,the weight was the main reason his back gave out 

#51 lions

lions

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:13 PM

Big country was 300 POUNDS before the gizzlies sign him to that contract the weight was the main reason his back gave out

#52 lions

lions

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

trading rudy gay speaks for it self the grizzlies have been having major problem filling the 3 

#53 lions

lions

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:20 PM

hensley country club boys talk him into taking thabrust

#54 lions

lions

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:22 PM

chandler parson knee problem before that sign him he will NEVER play a full season in the n.b.a 

#55 lions

lions

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:24 PM

memphis it will be hard to leave the best fit for the grizzlies i feel would be seattle 

#56 lions

lions

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:32 PM

michael dickerson retires because he had HAMSTRING AND GROIN problem, how many player can you tell me RETIRE because of hamstring and groin problems who play basketball.

#57 The REF

The REF

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:16 PM

Trading Shane Battier for the # 8 pick and taking Rudy Gay!

#58 GoGrizz!

GoGrizz!

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:40 PM

1. Moving the Grizzlies to the FedEx Forum. There's nothing wrong with the Pyramind, it was friendly to the interstate where many visitors would drive by saying "hey! that's where the Grizzlies play." The Pyramid would've been the most unique arena in the NBA, hands down! And we wasted it and turned it into a bass pro shop 12-15 years later.

2. Trading O.J. for Kevin Love. A stretch 4 that can shoot the 3 ball well and get double doubles day in and day out? Are you kidding me!!!!!

3. It's our draft. 2009 was crazy and absurd, but if we had solid draft classes that can produce for the Grizzlies, the majority of our fans will give the front office a bye for drafting Thabeet. We never give our young players a chance. I feel sorry for Deytona Davis because he is going from Memphis to Iowa constantly, leave him somewhere. Sam Young, Tony Wroten, Jarrell Martin.....Wade Baldwin in 2019?

4. Hiring Chris Wallace

#59 tmoneyinmphs

tmoneyinmphs

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:41 PM

Biggest mistake has to be local owners not buying the team from heisley at the price they thought was too high at that time.   I'm pretty sure the "value" of the team is far higher than that now.

It would have made the franchise more stable and maybe have a more visible owner.  I'm still worried the grizz could be leaving in the near future.

So no one thinks this was a big mistake?  I wanna say heisley wanted like 260-280 million from local buyers.  Ended up selling it for approximately 350 million.  The team in now valued at 780 million.

None of you worry the team could leave in the near future?

#60 Teddy.B

Teddy.B

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:03 PM

http://www.foxsports...drafting-011017

Wallace gets a pass on the Heisley years, but even then only for the OJ - Love swap and Thabeet. Heisley never bothered with the later picks so from 2008 to 2012 ( 2007 Conley was NOT a Wallace pick) then 2014 to 2016 (Levien picked 2013) Wallace has had over 10 picks and again NOT ONE is a rotational player in Memphis. 

This is the guy that gets an extension in Memphis. This owner has to take responsibility for the very average team that this team is going to be the next five years.