133 replies to this topic

#21 SC Grizz

SC Grizz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:04 PM

There was something mentioned in another thread that trading Rudy Gay was the worst mistake made in the history of the franchise, and MemphisX stepped in and said it's not even in the top 5.

That got me to wondering what the board as a whole thinks are the top 3-5 (or more with this franchise :lol: ) mistakes made over the years.

And go.

Not sure if you are referring to my post stating that trading Rudy Gay and deciding to move forward with Zbo/TA was a turning point that got us to where we are today? I by no means meant this was a mistake or "the worst mistake made in franchise history". It IS however a fact. We invested in Zbo/TA over Rudy moving forward with Conley/Gasol come what may.

#1 would be Thabeet obviously. No rational person can argue this. Hence why KBM is arguing against it...  :rolleyes:

#22 tmoneyinmphs

tmoneyinmphs

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:27 PM

Trading rudy gay was not a mistake.  Why can't rudy stick with a team now?  What has he done in the playoffs?  He had the tools, but he just didn't have it together.

Trading k love and oj was a mistake.  I'll admit i was for it, and now oj is nothing and kevin love is good but i still don't think that highly of him.  He never could get his team in the playoffs for years despite all the big numbers.

Thabeet was a huge miss.  I admit i wanted in this order" brandon jennings, rubio,  steph curry, tyreke evans.  I didn't even know much about james harden.   Obviously my order was screwed up, but i knew thabeet was a bust just by watching his footwook and conditioning during team meetings before the draft.  On another sports board on that  draft night, i blasted the grizz for picking thabeet.

I believe signing mike to this big money contract was a mistake.  Seriously, if the grizz were to shop mike conley, who would want him?  And pay that much for him?

Signing parsons looks like a mistake especially considering your other two big contracts were coming off an injury.

I also believe it's a mistake to believe mike and marc can win a championship.  They must have another player better than them added to the roster.

If they don't trade marc soon, that will be another mistake.  He won't be "peaking" in the tail end of his current contract.

I'm sure i can think of others, but that's what immediately came to mind.

#23 tmoneyinmphs

tmoneyinmphs

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:36 PM

Picking up zbo like they did was one of the best things the franchise ever did.

I didn't like the pau gasol trade either, but it worked out after years of losing.

#24 smit-tay griz

smit-tay griz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,694 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:38 PM

Not only did we waste the #2 pick on Thabeet, but we traded him and Carroll (another first round pick) plus a future first round pick to get rid of him for a 30 something game rental of Shane Battier and a short time with Ish Smith, I believe.  That's three first round picks wasted (although Shane was helpful in helping us to our first playoff series win).

Then let's not forget Levien's premature disabling of what might have been the best Grizzlies team by trading  Speights, Ellington, Selby and a first round pick for Jon Leuer to get under the tax so he wouldn't get ripped off in the Rudy Gay deal, but he did anyway.  That team was playing very well before the trade rumors started, and may have had a better chance against the Spurs in the WCF.  At least we would have had some perimeter shooting with Gay, Ellington and Pondexter.

#25 tmoneyinmphs

tmoneyinmphs

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:45 PM

I liked the carrol pick on draft night, but he was just horrible here.   The guy was making the right plays but couldn't get the shot to fall for him to save his life.  Sucks he found his game elsewhere.

I have always thought a lot of whiteside.  He was not far behind (talent-wise) demarcus cousins and derrick favors around 2010. 

I didn't like trading speights.

#26 tmoneyinmphs

tmoneyinmphs

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:48 PM

Biggest mistake has to be local owners not buying the team from heisley at the price they thought was too high at that time.   I'm pretty sure the "value" of the team is far higher than that now.

It would have made the franchise more stable and maybe have a more visible owner.  I'm still worried the grizz could be leaving in the near future.

#27 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,330 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:03 PM

Trading rudy gay was not a mistake.  Why can't rudy stick with a team now?  What has he done in the playoffs?  He had the tools, but he just didn't have it together.

Trading k love and oj was a mistake.  I'll admit i was for it, and now oj is nothing and kevin love is good but i still don't think that highly of him.  He never could get his team in the playoffs for years despite all the big numbers.

Thabeet was a huge miss.  I admit i wanted in this order" brandon jennings, rubio,  steph curry, tyreke evans.  I didn't even know much about james harden.   Obviously my order was screwed up, but i knew thabeet was a bust just by watching his footwook and conditioning during team meetings before the draft.  On another sports board on that  draft night, i blasted the grizz for picking thabeet.

I believe signing mike to this big money contract was a mistake.  Seriously, if the grizz were to shop mike conley, who would want him?  And pay that much for him?

Signing parsons looks like a mistake especially considering your other two big contracts were coming off an injury.

I also believe it's a mistake to believe mike and marc can win a championship.  They must have another player better than them added to the roster.

If they don't trade marc soon, that will be another mistake.  He won't be "peaking" in the tail end of his current contract.

I'm sure i can think of others, but that's what immediately came to mind.

Oh, you mean the one playoffs that he actually got to participate in? For a lot of us, Rudy Gay was the one reason to watch this team after they traded Pau and Battier. It sucks that he had to go through an entire rebuilding process with the grizzlies and got hurt when the grizzlies started their playoff runs.

Rudy was done wrong by the fate of the nba. I firmly believe if Rudy had not gotten hurt or traded the grizzlies would have had one finals appearance at least.

#28 grizz1016

grizz1016

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

Oh, you mean the one playoffs that he actually got to participate in? For a lot of us, Rudy Gay was the one reason to watch this team after they traded Pau and Battier. It sucks that he had to go through an entire rebuilding process with the grizzlies and got hurt when the grizzlies started their playoff runs.

Rudy was done wrong by the fate of the nba. I firmly believe if Rudy had not gotten hurt or traded the grizzlies would have had one finals appearance at least.

The one POs Gay played for us with the Core 4 - we lost in the 1st round to the Clips.

After he gets traded, we actually have a better regular season record even with old Prince. And we made the Western conf finals of course with some help.

Gay goes to the Raptors who after trading him starts going to the POs.

Then he goes to the Kings who of course never makes the POs with Gay.

Gay hasn't done anything even after getting traded. The one shot he had with us we basically collapse against the Clips in game 1 and Rudy goes hero mode towards the end trying to win the game.

Grizz improved after Gay trade.
Raptors improved after Gay trade.

Gay is a solid player but he ain't a winner. The results are there for everyone to see.

#29 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,330 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:57 PM

The one POs Gay played for us with the Core 4 - we lost in the 1st round to the Clips.

After he gets traded, we actually have a better regular season record even with old Prince. And we made the Western conf finals of course with some help.

Gay hasn't done anything even after getting traded. The one shot he had with us we basically collapse against the Clips in game 1 and Rudy goes hero mode towards the end trying to win the game.

Gay is a solid player but he ain't a winner. The results are there for everyone to see.

that's all happenstance, not because of gay

#30 grizz1016

grizz1016

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:59 PM

that's all happenstance, not because of gay

LMAO

The Raptors GM was so excited to get Gay. By ththe next season they knew the franchise wasn't gonna go anywhere with Gay. They traded Gay and gave the reigns to Lowry. The rest is history.

Sometimes the results are in the pudding. You can ignore them all you want if it makes you happy :)

#31 SC Grizz

SC Grizz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:06 PM

Again, if this is in response to my post - I am not commenting on whether it was a mistake or not! Please read my post. Where we are right now as a team is directly related to trading Rudy Gay and moving forward with Zbo/TA.

He can't stay with a team, but has only played for 3 NBA teams. Zbo has played for more in his career as have a whole lot of other very well respected NBA players... just saying

#32 f-dizzle

f-dizzle

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:51 PM

We have made so many mistakes, any in the top 10 could be #1. 

#33 Teddy.B

Teddy.B

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:11 AM

Chris Wallace

#34 Allen

Allen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,911 posts
  • Location:The City Where I live in and the City Where im from

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:33 AM

Not resigning Rudy earlier for the 65 million his camp initially wanted was the mistake.

#35 GF#1

GF#1

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,066 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:09 AM

Not resigning Rudy earlier for the 65 million his camp initially wanted was the mistake.

Bingo.

#36 GF#1

GF#1

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,066 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:14 AM

Not sure if you are referring to my post stating that trading Rudy Gay and deciding to move forward with Zbo/TA was a turning point that got us to where we are today? I by no means meant this was a mistake or "the worst mistake made in franchise history". It IS however a fact. We invested in Zbo/TA over Rudy moving forward with Conley/Gasol come what may.

#1 would be Thabeet obviously. No rational person can argue this. Hence why KBM is arguing against it...  :rolleyes:

I was referring to Iron Mike's post in one of the Parsons threads.

#37 lsugrizzfan

lsugrizzfan

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:56 AM

At first I was only considering mistakes made since the team was in Memphis. If we do it that way, Thabeet is the worst mistake in franchise history. It does not matter if some people liked it at the time; it still turned out to be a mistake. By the way, I think I might have cried in agony that same night. Worst feeling I've had watching the draft. Second worst feeling I had as a Grizzlies fan- the first being the time I watched the NBA lottery for the LeBron James draft, knowing we were one of the final two teams, and coming up second. We would have kept it if it had been the first pick. I remember Jerry West walking the goat from Silky's around the Pyramid for good luck.

So if we consider the franchise's time in Vancouver as well, Thabeet becomes the second worst mistake. Trading for Otis Thorpe is by far the worst. It costs us the second pick in a draft that had LeBron, D-Wade, C.Bosh, and Melo. Jerry West was in love with D. Wade. Wade would have been the top dog that allowed Pau to be the #2 guy he always wanted to be.

#38 Iron Mike

Iron Mike

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

We really didn't see Core 4 + Rudy when errbody was healthy. 

It was either Rudy was out, or it was Z-Bo coming back from injury.

That one PO series against the Clips was when Z-Bo came back from that injury that made him miss most of the regular season. We should've stucked with Speights that time.

Rudy hasn't been a winner anywhere else because the Grizzlies was tailor made for his play.

He needed the Grizz, and the Grizz needed him to win.

I'm still not convinced that trading Rudy was the right move.

I'm still saying its the biggest mistake this team has made, because we might've gone to an NBA finals once with that group of guys. It was our most potent lineup ever.

Yes, I know we have the Thabeet pick and all that. But we all know how the FO manages rookies back then. 

We could've caused a major disturbance in today's NBA. Think about it, Harden or even Curry might be in Europe right now if they got drafted by us. LOL

#39 GF#1

GF#1

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,066 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

We really didn't see Core 4 + Rudy when errbody was healthy. 

It was either Rudy was out, or it was Z-Bo coming back from injury.

That one PO series against the Clips was when Z-Bo came back from that injury that made him miss most of the regular season. We should've stucked with Speights that time.

Rudy hasn't been a winner anywhere else because the Grizzlies was tailor made for his play.

He needed the Grizz, and the Grizz needed him to win.

I'm still not convinced that trading Rudy was the right move.

I'm still saying its the biggest mistake this team has made, because we might've gone to an NBA finals once with that group of guys. It was our most potent lineup ever.

Yes, I know we have the Thabeet pick and all that. But we all know how the FO manages rookies back then. 

We could've caused a major disturbance in today's NBA. Think about it, Harden or even Curry might be in Europe right now if they got drafted by us. LOL

Like Allen alluded to, the real mistake was in not giving Rudy the 12 million a year that he originally asked for the offseason prior to being MAXed out. The Grizzlies had to have known that, barring injury, that he would command far more than that in the open market. Someone was gonna pay it to him.

Instead they low balled him at 5/50. At that point, what's an extra 2 mil per year? Instead, they maxed him out, and was ultimately the biggest reason for his departure.

The incompetency this franchise has displayed over the years has really cost this team.

And as much as people wanna rag on Wallace, I get it. But he did bring us Zbo. And he insisted that Marc be involved in the Pau trade. Whether people wanna acknowledge it or not, Wallace is a huge factor in why the Grizzlies ultimately got where they did.

#40 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:15 AM

Oh, heck, here's my 5:

1. Thabeet, of course.  And I don't mind saying I was vehemently opposed to this pick from the moment it was declared we were looking at him - which was reported by Chad Ford almost immediately after the card was opened. The main reason I opposed it is because he was only in it for a cash grab.  He said so himself.  He was more of a soccer fan.  If folks will recall, we had 2 #1s that year, and I wanted to see us take a guard - any guard, but I was leaning to Rubio - and then take DeJuan Blair with the later pick (and he was available).  We could have done better still.

2. This is a 2-parter.  Waiving Bo Outlaw and signing Brian Cardinal.  This 1-2 punch wrecked our team chemistry, led to a player revolt and precipitated the end of the Hubie Brown era.  Yeah, we still made playoffs under Fratello, but that was an unpopular time, and eventually led to the 3YP hell.

3.  Passing on Amare Stoudamire in the draft.  That was seen as so egregious by our organization that it got out how upset Jerry West was that nobody on his staff knew how good he was going to be, giving him cover to not look like a fool.  We would have been set at the post for years, especially important given how thin we were in the post for so long.  Pau desperately needed real help, and never got it - no disrespect to Lorenzen Wright.

4.  I will give tmoneyinmemphis props, because I didn't think about the local owners not stepping up as I was thinking about this, but yeah, I thought they dropped the ball then, and it made no sense at the time when they had been so instrumental in enticing a team here.  Again, there's no 3YP without this happening.

5.  Allen Iverson.  While the actual damage was short-lived, it was still a very high-profile snafu.