110 replies to this topic

#21 Teddy.B

Teddy.B

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:22 PM

Total Bullsh*T. This useless F.O trying to save face by announcing a fake injury. They know they can't keep trolling out Parsons for a worthless 20 mins anymore and don't know how to shut him down after all the "we support him 100%" statements.

This absentee owner is really killing this franchise with his lazy decisions. He said he was a "super fan" when he bought the team. Funny that a super fan who owns the team doesn't even go to games and doesn't seem concern with the team's performance. Laziest move ever extending Chris Wallace. Just total lack of understanding of the history of this team.

#22 fanboyslim

fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,541 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:24 PM

Well, who knows what the injury insurance rules are? 

Parsons gets his $, but doesn't the team get a break so it can hire a replacement? 

Especially if he's done permanently. 

Parsons will get paid regardless, but insurance will cover the time he doesn't play. The money won't go away from the team's salary though.

We can't apply for a disabled player exception this season, deadline was Jan 15. If Parsons was deemed out for the 2017-18 season we would be able to get a DPE for that season, which would allow us to:

• Sign a free agent for one season only, for 50% of Parsons' salary or the amount of the MLE, whichever is less.
  • Trade for a player in the last season of his contract only (including any option years), who is making no more than 50% plus $100,000 of Parsons' salary, or the amount of the MLE plus $100,000, whichever is less.
  • Claim a player on waivers who is in the last season of his contract only (including any option years), who is making no more than 50% of Parsons' salary, or the amount of the MLE, whichever is less.

So basically we'd get a one-year MLE.

If Parsons was determined to have a career-ending injury by a team of NBA-appointed physicians (not gonna happen in his current situation) we could get an injury exclusion and waive him, removing his remaining salary from the books. If somehow he managed to play again (25 games or more) we'd be forced to eat that money back, like we did to Portland when we hired Darius Miles.

#23 fanboyslim

fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,541 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:26 PM

That was my first thought. I wonder if they put something in there about him being seriously injured during teh first year of the contract or something. Who knows, maybe just wishful thinking on my part. 

I'm not sure that kind of clause is legal under the CBA, but if so, the contract would be reported as non-fully guaranteed.

#24 Allen

Allen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,911 posts
  • Location:The City Where I live in and the City Where im from

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:28 PM

Wallaces head needs to roll for this signing.

Parsons can no longer be used as the scapegoat though

#25 TimBC

TimBC

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,595 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:32 PM

So basically we'd get a one-year MLE.

Ugh.  Still, this could also have happened to the guy we could have had instead of Parsons. 

With our team's luck, it would have been almost certain. 

#26 Once_a_hater

Once_a_hater

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,702 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:33 PM

👏👏👏 waived Troy Williams.

#27 fanboyslim

fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,541 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:43 PM

To be honest, the FO will always have to take risks when hiring FAs because of the hiring disadvantage Memphis has:

- Taking a flyer on good players with injury risks

- Overpaying midding talents and hoping for a breakout

- Hiring older players and hoping on extending their useful years.

In that regard I'm not going to be overly hard on the FO especifically for hiring Parsons (the FO problems go beyond this one decision). It was really him, Barnes (case 2 in that list) or standing pat, all options with significant risks.

#28 The Stro Show

The Stro Show

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:46 PM

Gotta sign someone now.

#29 Thomas

Thomas

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:49 PM

Yeah I think signing Parsons was well worth the risk. The real issue here is the disgusting mismanagement of his injury, something that is incessant with this front office, and forcing him to play when everyone knew he wasn't ready. They just keep getting it wrong, it is killing us, and no one is held accountable.

#30 chasingpapes

chasingpapes

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

The real question'll be if he can get away without surgery. If he doesn't need it then he could be back by training camp but if he does....

#31 fanboyslim

fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,541 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:23 PM

The real question'll be if he can get away without surgery. If he doesn't need it then he could be back by training camp but if he does....

Surgery now for a partial tear should have him ready for training camp. The key thing is not delaying the decision.

#32 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:02 PM

I can't imagine this is "fake".

At the same time, how can this not have been seen as a risk of playing him right now, if this is the result?  We have got to have the crappiest medical staff in the league.  Many of us could look at Parsons and tell that no matter what he said, what the staff said, he wasn't right.  Some of it sounded mental, but I guess that has been disproved now. 

Well - regardless of how it happened, this is probably a blessing in disguise for the Grizzlies.  We were in a groove until Parsons was reintroduced into the lineup - after that it seems like we lost our brains, our mojo, whatever.  Maybe now we can get it back.

I am STILL ok with this signing, because it was about more than just Chandler Parsons.  It was a calculated risk.  The Grizzlies knew it.  We all knew it.  And risks don't always pay off.  But we have now seen that this team can play well without him.  The Grizzlies should be able to get back to business now.  And if Parsons never gets back to form, he will one day be a huge fat expiring, when that will mean something again.

What is unfortunate is that it is now evident that maybe we didn't have to swing for the fences with a signing this past offseason.  Hindsight has never been more 20/20 than this.  If this year was a transitional year, it is now apparent that we were a playoff team, even without Parsons.  But there would have been no way of knowing that going in, which is why a Parsons seemed necessary.  Not to mention how hard of a sell this team would have been without a splashy signing this year.

#33 SC Grizz

SC Grizz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:03 PM

Sadly this news will only help our team. Addition by subtraction. Everyone else needs to step up and will likely have a more well-defined role.

Sucks for Parsons as a person. Agree that this was horrible management of him as a player and his playing time.

Jordan Adams or maybe more accurately Michael Dickerson 2.0.

#34 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:09 PM

Sadly this news will only help our team. Addition by subtraction. Everyone else needs to step up and will likely have a more well-defined role.

Sucks for Parsons as a person. Agree that this was horrible management of him as a player and his playing time.

Jordan Adams or maybe more accurately Michael Dickerson 2.0.

You went where I didn't want to.

#35 GF#1

GF#1

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,066 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:20 PM

Not saying that it is necessarily fake, but I think it's a convenient way to sell the public on the realization that Parsons simply isn't going to get right in time for the Grizzlies to make a playoff run.

I think there was a very honest discussion among Parsons, Fizdale, Wallace, and whoever else, and they collectivey decided that shutting him down was likely the best thing for the team this season, and obviously for the franchise moving forward.

I don't doubt that Parsons is hurting/sore. But I'm not quite buying into the "tear". I could be way off base on that, but just my gut.

#36 GoGrizz!

GoGrizz!

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:20 PM

We didn't have to spend the money.

Didn't spend the money then I thought Conley would've left.

#37 trayhezy

trayhezy

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

I have no problem with the signing....right now.

I have a problem with the coach and organization forcing him out there after it was obvious to the average fan that Parsons wasn't right.

He may never again be right, but that is a risk that you take.

#38 GoGrizz!

GoGrizz!

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

Personally, I hate it for Parsons. He's been injury prone and will continue to get hatred by our fans and Dallas' fans. Our fans will continue to gripe and complain wanting to trade him (even though we can't) However, I wish he could live a normal lifestyle. I don't know if its because he is a 'professional' ball player and making millions of dollars by the organization and in endorsements, but get a girlfriend, be a professional ball player, have fun and know your limits. The only bad thing is that it is personal life and I have to respect that. 

It was clear that him getting in "basketball shape" was not cutting the pie. I'm assuming he is just going to be shut down rather than have a season-ending surgery. But who knows.

However, if anyone is going to use the Parsons injury as a scapegoat towards the failure of our season, that is uncalled for and that's not fair for Chandler himself. He tried to get on the basketball court and produce, did it work? Not really.  

I hope he gets better and if I'm the Grizzlies, he is not returning on the court unless he is 100%, hopefully he can get some minutes in Southaven before returning to the Grizzlies and play in the association, just like the MLB players do with the DL and minor-leagues and all that stuff.

The front office should be 100% embarrassed in themselves. 

#39 The REF

The REF

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:52 PM

Finally, let's get Parson much needed rest!

Awesome payday this Season!!

#40 Memphis Maverick

Memphis Maverick

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts
  • Interests:The Ultimate Yes Man

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:07 PM

Didn't spend the money then I thought Conley would've left.

no we could have filled he roster with more than just Parsons for that money. Especially with the career averages he has.

You still could have cap room going into this coming season where we could have made some huge moves with plenty of players to pick from

Paul mill sap, Gordon Hayward, Danilo, jeff Teague, JJ Red, Greg monroe, Taj gibson, George hill, Shaun Livingston, Jrue Holiday, etc.

It's managing wisely. I don't care what anyone says about this being a small market. You overpaid Chandler. You can do the same to someone without an injury history.

I was all for not spending the money this past season. I was for signing a couple of guys for fair contracts leaving room for a big move this coming offseason knowing we wouldn't have draft picks to help us out.

Chandler should have never been a target.