60 replies to this topic

#21 The_PROOF

The_PROOF

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,015 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:35 AM

Why do people keep assuming the Grizz will make the playoffs?

Because it doesn't make sense to assume they won't. They're not gonna lose the rest of their games and Portland/Dallas won't win the rest of their games.

#22 GF#1

GF#1

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,066 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:15 AM

174 minutes. That's how many minutes the Core 4 have been on the floor together all year.

So noone can possibly think rollin with them in startin lineup could be any worse than what we have out there now, we havent seen enough of them. It's time Fizz starts TA n Zbo for one last stretch, n come next year either they both accept lesser bench roles or they can go home to the Bulls n Pacers respectively.

Conley

Ennis or Harrison or Daniels

Allen

Randolph

Gasol

Isn't that what we said last summer?

For the life of me I don't understand why everyone is holding on to this core 4 grit/grind thing.

#23 Dwash

Dwash

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,524 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:33 AM

TA and Zbo are not the problem nor the solution so I don't know why we keep going on and on about their roles.

#24 BLUEandGOLD

BLUEandGOLD

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

Isn't that what we said last summer?

For the life of me I don't understand why everyone is holding on to this core 4 grit/grind thing.

So here is why IMHO. It is playoff time. It is not developmental time. It is not experimental time. The experimentation that is happening now and honestly that has been going on all season has not worked. Chemistry is shot and the team is not playing as a team. I think it is because TA and ZBO along with Mike and Marc (by association) are disjointed without each other. Is this what we want going forward? NO! But right now ZBO and TA are in a funk based on roles. I say put them all in together and either prove someone right or wrong and then move on. The only experiment that has not been tried is what many of us clamored for the last few years....the core four plus a shooter. Throw them out there with Daniels and let them see if they can be competitive. If not, we can all move on and maybe they will better except the roles they have now.

#25 Dwash

Dwash

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,524 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:14 AM

We have seen enough of the core 4 to know that Troy Daniels isn't good enough to mask their weaknesses. First off, you would almost certainly need a long athletic defensive three to help out in the paint. Second, you would need a shot creator on the perimeter cause they would still pack the paint off TA.

The core 4 would need Paul George, not Troy Daniels. Please stop.

#26 guillermo

guillermo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:17 AM

why not try VC with core 4??

#27 MemphisX

MemphisX

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,651 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:42 AM

Break it!

Get what you can for Marc and Mike....ride out Parsons deal.

#28 Allen

Allen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,911 posts
  • Location:The City Where I live in and the City Where im from

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:04 AM

If the goal is to be the oldest slowest and least fun team in the league to watch I say go for it

#29 BHZMAFIA

BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:06 AM

I'm so sick of hearing this "core 4" term. 

edit:

One thing that was interesting in what Fizdale said yesterday --

Defensively, it’s the same system that got us to No. 1 in defense. It was just that I had committed young guys who were fighting for their life to stay in the NBA during that time. Now, I’ve got these veteran guys who I’ve got to prod to get them to do the job. So, yeah, people can call me stubborn and I think most head coaches are to a certain extent.

So, why did we go away from the young guys again? Why did we let Troy Williams go in favor of Toney Douglas? 

This is a matter of not playing the guys who give the most effort, but playing the guys with experience regardless of their effort.

#30 GrizzTigerFan

GrizzTigerFan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,529 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:19 PM

Is it too late to bring in Jarell and play him on the perimeter?    I mean dude can't seriously be worse than all the other options already flaming out. 

I know its a longshot but Vince and Mike are starting to wear down from being the only credible perimeter threats on team. 

#31 bhoyal

bhoyal

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:41 PM

This team has more chance of stopping this walking dead zombie march they're on with Baldwin and Martin getting a few minutes off the bench than Ennis and them.  Even though Memphis has been (cough-cough) "gifted a potential superstar" with Ennis.

And maybe send Parsons to Iowa for a few of those no-defense games where he can put up 30 points and get his confidence back.  Then bring him back.  

#32 New_Sacred_Cow

New_Sacred_Cow

1st Team

• Game Thread
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:36 PM

I think cutting Williams for Douglas was one of the biggest mistakes. Williams added tons of hustle and high motor to the wing from a guy playing for his life. I think the good play of Ennis at the beginning of the year and Daniels shooting explosion really shut the door on Williams. Both of those guys confidence is shook right now which makes it feel like we are down 2 wing guys.

I also think Douglas should be eclipsed by Harrison at this point. Just give Harrison the reigns and live with the results because Doulgas is causing way too much damage out there.

#33 Memphicity

Memphicity

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts
  • Interests:MemphisShirt.com

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:22 PM

I think cutting Williams for Douglas was one of the biggest mistakes. Williams added tons of hustle and high motor to the wing from a guy playing for his life. I think the good play of Ennis at the beginning of the year and Daniels shooting explosion really shut the door on Williams. Both of those guys confidence is shook right now which makes it feel like we are down 2 wing guys.

I also think Douglas should be eclipsed by Harrison at this point. Just give Harrison the reigns and live with the results because Doulgas is causing way too much damage out there.

I know Daniels isn't elite and has shortcomings but he IS a good shooter, we've seen it. Very hard for him to come in and play just a few minutes in the 4th and produce. Fizz then gave him a shot against ATL and he didn't do well. He'll probably only play garbage time from now on. 

#34 advancedrescue

advancedrescue

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:38 PM

Why do people keep assuming the Grizz will make the playoffs?

Well either way, if we do plan on making it to lifting a trophy it's a lot more likely to happen if we have him healthy and back to the old chandler.

And go figure I post promoting him and the same day they announce he's out for the season:/. I guess hopefully next season he will come out from the start ready to go.

#35 scooter

scooter

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:57 PM

That worked tonight.   :)

#36 Memfizz

Memfizz

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:32 PM

I'm so sick of hearing this "core 4" term.

edit:

One thing that was interesting in what Fizdale said yesterday --

So, why did we go away from the young guys again? Why did we let Troy Williams go in favor of Toney Douglas?

This is a matter of not playing the guys who give the most effort, but playing the guys with experience regardless of their effort.

Well Fizdale didn't demote Troy Williams, the fo did.

Thanks for this quote though, interesting indeed.

#37 GrizzTigerFan

GrizzTigerFan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,529 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:06 AM

So is this the rotation now?

Mike/Harrison

Tony/Daniels

Vince/Ennis

JaM/Zbo

Gasol/Wright

If so that is as balanced as we have been all season and only real question mark is backup PG/wing spots.   Which shouldn't be an issue because if push come to shove Harrison and Daniels roles can be shrunken during that time. 

#38 fanboyslim

fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,541 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:53 AM

So is this the rotation now?

Mike/Harrison

Tony/Daniels

Vince/Ennis

JaM/Zbo

Gasol/Vince

If so that is as balanced as we have been all season and only real question mark is backup PG/wing spots.   Which shouldn't be an issue because if push come to shove Harrison and Daniels roles can be shrunken during that time. 

Man, VC is doing great but I don't think we can rely on him as a backup C. :P

#39 grizz1016

grizz1016

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:35 PM

In the pivotal mins in the 4th Q, it was the Core 4 with VC. Core 4 actually played a decent amount of mins together yesterday, while the 5th player was either VC or TD. The Core 4 with a shooter is still the way to attain any PO success THIS season.

Next season, make the right moves so we don't always have to rely on this aging core. Heck Parsons might get healthy enough to help.

#40 lions

lions

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Interests:sports

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:39 PM

with chandler parson out of the picture i could see the grizzles starting to jell