29 replies to this topic

#21 Iron Mike

Iron Mike

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

It doesn't matter if they are dumb or not people will usually argue with me. Anybody that thinks gasol doesn't have four more peak years after this, then they aren't looking at the facts.

Gasol and Mike are both perfectly situated to have about a 4 year window to the title.

I mean what would we get in arguing how many years Gasol has left?

Just sit, shut up and watch. Only the coaching staff and Team Doctors can assess that, not you.

It doesn't make any sense tbh, that's why you're getting crickets.

What IF Gasol has a freak injury/accident then? *knocks on wood*

That throws your argument out of the window  :rolleyes:

#22 Iron Mike

Iron Mike

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

While I am not an expert on international play, I'm glad you were able to clarify the games he played and the minutes. It truly shows that Marc does have a lot less wear and tear on his legs than an average 32 year old in the league.

Also, for the person who wanted to bring up that Duncan and Shaq were hall of famers. Being healthy and playing at your ability has nothing to do with if you are a superstar or not. Your health doesn't depend on your level of superstar.

I beg to disagree, their health is also a part of why they're called Superstars.

Ever wondered why AI was considered on a higher tier than Vince Carter?

It's because he didn't had season-ending injuries.

Add in Grant Hill, Penny, Brandon Roy. After their injuries, they have been seen as lower-tier stars.

You can't call someone top 3 in the NBA if they miss a lot of games.

#23 fanboyslim

fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,541 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

This list says a lot. Look at how many former stars on are the list. The key word is former. None of them are carrying a team these days or worth a max contract.

Bear in mind Marc no longer has a max contract, and with the upcoming cap increase he's going to be even farther away from the max. Next season his salary will be $22.6M, and the max he'd be entitled to would be $36.1M.

#24 lsugrizzfan

lsugrizzfan

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:18 PM

Bear in mind Marc no longer has a max contract, and with the upcoming cap increase he's going to be even farther away from the max. Next season his salary will be $22.6M, and the max he'd be entitled to would be $36.1M.

He still has a max contract because it was the maximum he could have signed at the time. It may be less than what he could sign for now, but it is still a max contract. 

#25 fanboyslim

fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,541 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:29 PM

He still has a max contract because it was the maximum he could have signed at the time. It may be less than what he could sign for now, but it is still a max contract.

It doesn't matter because it is no longer 35% (or 30%) of the cap, so the burden for our team salary (or for anyone willing to trade for him) is not a max salary. And don't forget he could have asked for a one year contract or player options in order to go for a higher contract the following season (yeah, I don't think he did it out of altruism, but still).

Normally max salaries grow more than the cap year over year. We're in a exceptional situation because the cap is growing faster than the salaries, so Marc's situation is rather unique in NBA history.

#26 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,330 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:00 PM

I mean what would we get in arguing how many years Gasol has left?

Just sit, shut up and watch. Only the coaching staff and Team Doctors can assess that, not you.

It doesn't make any sense tbh, that's why you're getting crickets.

What IF Gasol has a freak injury/accident then? *knocks on wood*

That throws your argument out of the window  :rolleyes:

Oh so y'all can go on ad nausea about how old Marc is, but when I make the point about how fresh his legs actually are, well I need to shut up because only the doctors know his health. LOL I know now that I sparked the right nerve.

#27 tmoneyinmphs

tmoneyinmphs

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

Yeah, i think i sparked a nerve too with you kevin, because you can't even answer the question.  I'm just getting crickets.

Are you still saying marc gasol will be in his peak at 36 years old?

#28 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:33 PM

Well, how is effectiveness measured, anyway?  Marc has probably extended his career by being open to shooting from the outside more.  People like to compare him to Zabonis - well, now the comparison is even more apropos.  So he keeps the same PPG while his skills start to atrophy.  He's still effective.  Just in different ways.

The whole premise is just exhausting, and unless Nostradamus joins the conversation, it's just opinion and guesswork as to when a player isn't going to be the same.  I was ready to jettison this core a few years ago, and they are still playing well, just not being talked about as a darkhorse contender at the moment.  If we can take a small dip and rebound versus a big one and rebound, I'm better with that.  So trying to guess when a player is going to definitely decline is just a fool's errand.  Who would have thought Z-bo would have accepted a bench role at a time when he was capable enough to challenge for a 6th man award?  And he's probably added a couple years to his career by doing so.  

#29 Iron Mike

Iron Mike

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:45 AM

Oh so y'all can go on ad nausea about how old Marc is, but when I make the point about how fresh his legs actually are, well I need to shut up because only the doctors know his health. LOL I know now that I sparked the right nerve.

This talk isn't even sparking any nerves. 

You're way overdramatic, like the few times you were renouncing your grizzitenship.

#30 Iron Mike

Iron Mike

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:45 AM

Yeah, i think i sparked a nerve too with you kevin, because you can't even answer the question.  I'm just getting crickets.

Are you still saying marc gasol will be in his peak at 36 years old?

:lol: