Photo

Should Grizz Entertain Offers For Chandler Parson?

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

#41 lions

lions

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Interests:sports

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:53 PM

no one wants him

#42 southbluffsgrizzfan

southbluffsgrizzfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,155 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:21 AM

Exactly. There's only 2 ways that Memphis can get players, either A-Overpay and/or B-take a risk. FAs aren't running each other over clamoring to come to Memphis. As a matter of fact, it's hard to pull any decent FA away from a team so us getting Parsons from the Mavs is actually a win. How can people start judging the contracts of these players barely 1/3 into the first season of the contract? makes no sense. i'm pretty sure the type of people who criticize those moves have great trade ideas like trading VC for the Greek Freak or TA for Chris Paul or Kyrie irving or something. It ain't happening. This was the best PG available and we kept him and the best SF available and we acquired him, simple and plain. 

Players get injured all of the time. People in GS wanted to trade Curry after his 3rd year because he was an undersized SG with bad ankles who couldn't play the point. Chris Paul has struggled with injuries in his career. Look at Joel Embiid. You can't just not take a risk on a player because he's had injuries. Outside of LeBron, how many guys have been injury free their entire career? Injuries are a part of the game. Signing Parsons to a max deal while injured was nothing special. The Mavs did the same thing the previous year with Wes Matthews who tore his Achilles and gave him a 4 year, $70 mil contract which was the  max for him at the time. Salaries are only going to continue to rise. I guarantee in 2-3 years there will be a lot of players with contracts like Parsons and they will be nowhere near as talented. Speaking of Parsons, last year after he came back from injury and got his legs underneath him, the guy went on a 30 game tear avg 18 ppg, 6 rpg, 3 apg, shooting 52% from the field and 48% from 3 in 34 mpg. i hate that he had that bone bruise because if not for that, I think he would be in good form by now.

In a small unattractive market like Memphis you have to take chances to win. If not, you're going to have a team full of Andrew Harrison's winning 12 games a year,

Notorious, you are spot on.1000% right. Well said.

I am as frustrated as anyone with Chandler and his knee boo boos, but we have him signed, committed for 4 years and we have to at least see how he can elevate the team when he finally gets healthy.  If he does, then maybe other FA's who are buds with Chandler and would like to play with quality guys like Mike and Marc will at least give us a look-see.  Of course we are not going to sign all the big names, but we just need 1 or 2 more and we can be an elite team.

#43 New_Sacred_Cow

New_Sacred_Cow

1st Team

• Game Thread
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:25 AM

Two things:

First up every other GM sees the same stuff we do so his trade value is near non-existent right now because of the contract and unknown.

Second, we will be good in the back half of the season when this guy shows up:

#44 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:27 PM

I get the frustration, but Parsons seems destined to be one of those guys who will routinely miss 15-25 games a season.  There are a lot of very effective players in this league who miss that amount of games with dings and scrapes.  This isn't like Wright, who has had one injury-free season amongst a boatload of injury riddled ones.  It is clear he is fragile.  Not his fault, but he came into the league too thin and he will leave the league too thin, apparently lacking the ability to pack on muscle. Or he's smart enough to know he's playing at his most effective weight and he just has to keep his fingers crossed.

Before Parsons is done, he will give us what we need at an important time, and remind us why we did what we did.  I really believe that.

#45 Allen

Allen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,911 posts
  • Location:The City Where I live in and the City Where im from

Posted 29 December 2016 - 05:20 PM

Packing on muscle can prevent knee injuries?

#46 ShaneAus

ShaneAus

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:07 PM

Even if Parsons isn't scoring as much as we want. It adds a lot more to the court. Teams aren't going to leave Parsons alone and he can make plays. Those shots will fall but even if he doesn't shoot and stuff, he makes a good impact on the court with movement and plays. 

#47 Grizzled Vet

Grizzled Vet

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:25 PM

Exactly. There's only 2 ways that Memphis can get players, either A-Overpay and/or B-take a risk. FAs aren't running each other over clamoring to come to Memphis. As a matter of fact, it's hard to pull any decent FA away from a team so us getting Parsons from the Mavs is actually a win. How can people start judging the contracts of these players barely 1/3 into the first season of the contract? makes no sense. i'm pretty sure the type of people who criticize those moves have great trade ideas like trading VC for the Greek Freak or TA for Chris Paul or Kyrie irving or something. It ain't happening. This was the best PG available and we kept him and the best SF available and we acquired him, simple and plain. 

Players get injured all of the time. People in GS wanted to trade Curry after his 3rd year because he was an undersized SG with bad ankles who couldn't play the point. Chris Paul has struggled with injuries in his career. Look at Joel Embiid. You can't just not take a risk on a player because he's had injuries. Outside of LeBron, how many guys have been injury free their entire career? Injuries are a part of the game. Signing Parsons to a max deal while injured was nothing special. The Mavs did the same thing the previous year with Wes Matthews who tore his Achilles and gave him a 4 year, $70 mil contract which was the  max for him at the time. Salaries are only going to continue to rise. I guarantee in 2-3 years there will be a lot of players with contracts like Parsons and they will be nowhere near as talented. Speaking of Parsons, last year after he came back from injury and got his legs underneath him, the guy went on a 30 game tear avg 18 ppg, 6 rpg, 3 apg, shooting 52% from the field and 48% from 3 in 34 mpg. i hate that he had that bone bruise because if not for that, I think he would be in good form by now.

In a small unattractive market like Memphis you have to take chances to win. If not, you're going to have a team full of Andrew Harrison's winning 12 games a year,

Agreed.  Signing Parsons was the FO putting their money into shooting for a title.  

A healthy Parsons is their best chance.

giphy.gif

#48 Ndq0327

Ndq0327

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,950 posts
  • Interests:My family, sports, fishing, my xbox, and browsing the web.

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:14 PM

Don't see why we are brainwashed into being so optimistic with the bad decisions being made. Question what else should the Grizz have done if not overpay Parsons and Conley?

Were there any other sfs who weren't injured that got signed and have played the majority of the season?. Yes there were we would have been better off saving money going after one of them. Once you consider the fact that this team has been good despite the fact that Parsons hasn't contributed much in terms of winning or losing.

Has anyone ever thought that maybe the Grizz should put more resources into pinpointing obtainable players that are likely diamonds in the rough. Instead of accepting that we're a bad destination for big time guys so if we want them then we have to overpay or take on injured players.

Why cripple yourself just for the sake of saying we got player x when said player is a shell of the guy you want him to be for your team. I mean look how long it took for VC to finally give us something consistent. Are we to accept that same fate with Chandler?

The chandler parsons signing was a bad idea we paid too much and its not certain when we will get the good version of him but even then I don't think it will be worth 94million.

#49 Back2Grizzness

Back2Grizzness

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:52 PM

Parsons isn't 100%...you don't come back in 3 weeks 100% from a bone bruise. He's likely playing in pain right now and he looks like it.

It will be 1st or 2nd week in January before he feels good and 1st-2nd week in Feb if we are lucky before he really has his legs under him and rounding into old school form. If he is playing his prime game in March and through the playoffs, totally worth it. It's a gamble and one we had to make imo.

#50 TimBC

TimBC

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,595 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:05 PM

Packing on muscle can prevent knee injuries?

About half a pound of muscle on each knee can, otherwise no. 

If you apply 100 pounds of force to a knee, and there's muscle to absorb 60 of it, 

then ligaments, cartilage and bone only have to handle 40. 

#51 Notorious O.D.K.

Notorious O.D.K.

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,400 posts
  • Interests:Grizzlies, Redskins, Tigers and Vols!!!!!!!

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:19 PM

Has anyone ever thought that maybe the Grizz should put more resources into pinpointing obtainable players that are likely diamonds in the rough. Instead of accepting that we're a bad destination for big time guys so if we want them then we have to overpay or take on injured players.

Why cripple yourself just for the sake of saying we got player x when said player is a shell of the guy you want him to be for your team. I mean look how long it took for VC to finally give us something consistent. Are we to accept that same fate with Chandler?

The chandler parsons signing was a bad idea we paid too much and its not certain when we will get the good version of him but even then I don't think it will be worth 94million.

Haven't we been trying to find diamonds in the rough the entire time we have been in Memphis? When has Memphis ever tried to sign a major FA?

Chandler Parsons is worth what the market sets and at the very least Portland was going to give him $94 mil. I never understand this argument that player x isn't worth such and such when they are multiple teams that will give him such and such. No that is what he was worth and after next season, a lot more players will be worth that as well.

#52 Subliminal

Subliminal

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,299 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:09 PM

Haven't we been trying to find diamonds in the rough the entire time we have been in Memphis? When has Memphis ever tried to sign a major FA?

Chandler Parsons is worth what the market sets and at the very least Portland was going to give him $94 mil. I never understand this argument that player x isn't worth such and such when they are multiple teams that will give him such and such. No that is what he was worth and after next season, a lot more players will be worth that as well.

Ndq must be having a rough season. Hard to come up with all those tl;dr, agenda driven diatribes this season

#53 Memfizz

Memfizz

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:20 PM

Parsons has been slow and missing everything, but strangely I don't think it has negatively effected the team at all.

#54 Ndq0327

Ndq0327

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,950 posts
  • Interests:My family, sports, fishing, my xbox, and browsing the web.

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:02 PM

Just recently when the FO realized the decline of the core 4 this is literally the first year they have decided that playing young players is an actual thing. Since then its been vet after vet each off season whether it be FA or trades. Look at the success of Jam, and Ennis now just imagine if we had been targeting guys like them the year aft our WCF trip. Instead of looking for quick fixes.

#55 Dwash

Dwash

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,524 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:57 PM

Just recently when the FO realized the decline of the core 4 this is literally the first year they have decided that playing young players is an actual thing. Since then its been vet after vet each off season whether it be FA or trades. Look at the success of Jam, and Ennis now just imagine if we had been targeting guys like them the year aft our WCF trip. Instead of looking for quick fixes.

Yeah hard to quantify what has been missed out on. Oh well.

#56 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:35 PM

But here's the thing - we ARE doing that now (playing the young guys).  This has ALWAYS been an organization where the coach had inordinate sway over the organization. The reason we are playing young guys now is because we have a coach that is committed to it, and the organization is giving him the room to do so.  So we can bemoan the fact that we didn't start doing this earlier, but It's not short-sightedness of the organization, it's the fact that the last 2 coaches were so selfish that they chose to ride their vets into the freakin' ground.  And that's what it was - selfishness.  We had plenty of young talent come through here worth giving a chance, and they chose not to.

Now - the Parsons signing was important for a lot of reasons, not just for the sake of signing him. I agree that it was a risk given his health status.  But it's not like we paid more than his market bore. And we're fortunate in that our team is doing well in spite of his unavailability.  But if you're going to hate on the Parsons signing because he's hurt, at least be consistent and hate on the Wright signing in the same breath.  

#57 Markey78

Markey78

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:23 AM

Now we got a coach willing to build and wait unlike the previous ones.

#58 ShaneAus

ShaneAus

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:10 AM

Parsons has been moving better game by game. Eventually his shot will come back to him. Defensively he has done what he needed to and he is not a player that any team can leave alone even if he is not 100%

#59 memphis slim

memphis slim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:14 AM

the lakers game was horrible for him.

it truly looks like he has forgotten how to play the game.

come on.

maybe slide the stockings down. do something to try and remember.

slim.

#60 Dwash

Dwash

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,524 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:38 AM

If they are "entertaining" offers...then how are they going to get anyone to show up to the party?

He needs to come off the bench as a backup 3/4 for now.  Just guard role players and stretch bigs or small forwards that just stand in the corner.  Clearly he isn't suited to chase anyone around the perimeter right now.