#10361 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,273 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:37 AM

How are people giving up on those guys? 

I don't even think people are giving up on Harrison right now. They're just saying he's not ready right now and needs to work on a few things this offseason to be better next year.

Also, have you even watched Jaylen Brown? He's been playing well over the last few months having 7 double figure games out of the last 11. He's just now getting more opportunity in Boston with his minutes increasing. The same thing with Ingram. Those two guys and who we are talking about are nothing alike in terms of performance as of late.

I don't have much faith that Ennis or Daniels can become dynamic wing scorers.  Nor do i see Rade, Wade, or Harrison being that type of player next season.  

also, there is an entire thread about how bad Harrison is. I mean you can take me to task on a lot of things, why choose this statement of mine to do it with?

#10362 Dwash

Dwash

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,515 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:45 AM

How are people giving up on those guys?

I don't even think people are giving up on Harrison right now. They're just saying he's not ready right now and needs to work on a few things this offseason to be better next year.

Also, have you even watched Jaylen Brown? He's been playing well over the last few months having 7 double figure games out of the last 11. He's just now getting more opportunity in Boston with his minutes increasing. The same thing with Ingram. Those two guys and who we are talking about are nothing alike in terms of performance as of late.

Yeah Jaylen Brown is solid contributor on a high level playoff team.

Let's cut to the meat here, the track record on non lottery first round picks and beyond who aren't solid rotational contributors by year 2 isn't good. Martin is in year 2 and Baldwin looks unlikely to be useful by next year nor will he have a path (they will have Harrison and will sign another mediocre vet). I could see Davis contributing however with Wright's health pfoblems and Zbo/JAM walking possibly.

#10363 BHZMAFIA

BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:57 AM

I don't have much faith that Ennis or Daniels can become dynamic wing scorers.  Nor do i see Rade, Wade, or Harrison being that type of player next season.  

also, there is an entire thread about how bad Harrison is. I mean you can take me to task on a lot of things, why choose this statement of mine to do it with?

You take one person's comment and say "people".

#10364 GrizzTigerFan

GrizzTigerFan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,526 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:38 AM

Yeah Jaylen Brown is solid contributor on a high level playoff team.

Let's cut to the meat here, the track record on non lottery first round picks and beyond who aren't solid rotational contributors by year 2 isn't good. Martin is in year 2 and Baldwin looks unlikely to be useful by next year nor will he have a path (they will have Harrison and will sign another mediocre vet). I could see Davis contributing however with Wright's health pfoblems and Zbo/JAM walking possibly.

Million dollar question after this year is what do we do will all these Bigs??  The fact that Tillery stated that FO tried to trade JaMyke during the deadline to get wing help doesn't bode well for him coming back next year.   I'd hate to overpay him to keep him because that will potentially hurt our ability to get any real wing help.  But he offers a dimension NONE of our other Bigs do that isn't easily replaced.  

If Wright wasn't such a huge injury risk and Martin actually showed something tangible then letting JaM go and keeping Zbo would be a no-brainer.   But that isn't the world we live in.  

#10365 Dwash

Dwash

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,515 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:54 PM

Million dollar question after this year is what do we do will all these Bigs??  The fact that Tillery stated that FO tried to trade JaMyke during the deadline to get wing help doesn't bode well for him coming back next year.   I'd hate to overpay him to keep him because that will potentially hurt our ability to get any real wing help.  But he offers a dimension NONE of our other Bigs do that isn't easily replaced.  

If Wright wasn't such a huge injury risk and Martin actually showed something tangible then letting JaM go and keeping Zbo would be a no-brainer.   But that isn't the world we live in.  

I'm thinking Davis will pass Martin and the Zbo/JAM/Wright part will work itself out.

#10366 Holidayinn21

Holidayinn21

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:30 PM

Wallace is "undefeated in signing the Core"(seriously, what the hell was he thinking saying that?), so the fan base gives him a pass, even though he's been a terrible GM throughout his career.

#10367 chipc3

chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,816 posts
  • Interests:GRIZZLIES, golf, soccer, women

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:58 AM

This type of thinking is the reason they are in the mess they are in now. If you liked him so much that you want to try and bring him back next season then just keep him while you already had him locked up for cheap. Now it will cost more to bring him back again.

Why would u give away a long term option for a 1 season rental especially when you could have gotten rid of Harrison.

The James Ennis thing may have worked out but it cost the team way more than if they would have never cut him in the first place.

No one is arguing that. Wallace made a mistake releasing Ebnis last season and probably overpaid for him to return now. We all agree with that.

That doesn't mean that he can't bring Williams back in the future. All I said was that Williams being picked up by Houston on a 10 day deal doesn't mean he can never play for Memphis again.

#10368 New_Sacred_Cow

New_Sacred_Cow

1st Team

• Game Thread
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:04 PM

If the Mike Conley off the ball gameplan is the focus starting next season, then Mike will need a starting guard next to him that can hit shots and run an offense. I know we have talked about the want of someone like Jrue Holiday but I think going after a player like George Hill could be a sneaky signing too.

#10369 chipc3

chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,816 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:53 PM

If the Mike Conley off the ball gameplan is the focus starting next season, then Mike will need a starting guard next to him that can hit shots and run an offense. I know we have talked about the want of someone like Jrue Holiday but I think going after a player like George Hill could be a sneaky signing too.

You don't think Utah is going to lock him down? I know they have Exum waiting in the wings but the team has worked best with Hill on the court. He's 30 next year but a solid player if he's willing to step behind Conley at times. 

#10370 New_Sacred_Cow

New_Sacred_Cow

1st Team

• Game Thread
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:54 AM

You don't think Utah is going to lock him down? I know they have Exum waiting in the wings but the team has worked best with Hill on the court. He's 30 next year but a solid player if he's willing to step behind Conley at times. 

The two parties couldn't come to an agreement for an extension this season so who knows. I think it also depends how things go for them in the playoffs. George seems to have the right build, skill, and age for the Mike and Marc window.

It really looks like Fizz's vision of the future Mike Conley will be a lot of off ball scoring. My list of guards that could help Conley play off ball and run an offense that will be unrestricted free agents this summer: Jrue Holiday, Deron Williams, Rodney Stuckey, Jeff Teague, Sergio Rodriguez, Darren Collison, Tyreke Evans, George Hill, Brandon Jennings.

#10371 chipc3

chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,816 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:21 AM

The two parties couldn't come to an agreement for an extension this season so who knows. I think it also depends how things go for them in the playoffs. George seems to have the right build, skill, and age for the Mike and Marc window.

It really looks like Fizz's vision of the future Mike Conley will be a lot of off ball scoring. My list of guards that could help Conley play off ball and run an offense that will be unrestricted free agents this summer: Jrue Holiday, Deron Williams, Rodney Stuckey, Jeff Teague, Sergio Rodriguez, Darren Collison, Tyreke Evans, George Hill, Brandon Jennings.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I wonder why Hill would chose Memphis over Utah?  

#10372 MemphisX

MemphisX

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,634 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:57 AM

Hill will take the biggest check.

#10373 New_Sacred_Cow

New_Sacred_Cow

1st Team

• Game Thread
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:09 AM

Hill will take the biggest check.

I would love to get a Jrue Holiday or George Hill because they would show the FO believes in a real attempt at winning but I think the FO would aim more for a Rodney Stuckey, Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings.

#10374 Dwash

Dwash

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,515 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:07 PM

2 small point guards gets you nowhere in this league.  Teams with correctly sized wings that can play both sides of the ball is what wins.

#10375 BHZMAFIA

BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

I would love to get a Jrue Holiday or George Hill because they would show the FO believes in a real attempt at winning but I think the FO would aim more for a Rodney Stuckey, Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings.

I don't see them looking for scoring guards to pair next to Conley. Guys like Jennings and Stuckey IMO are far from who the FO would consider to play next to Conley (especially if we're talking a starting role).

Tyreke, Hill, Holiday may fit those molds because they play better with the ball in their ball hands, big guards and can defend the 2.

I think Tyreke makes sense, but we have enough injury prone players. We are better off hoping Baldwin or Harrison become that guy.

#10376 GrizzTigerFan

GrizzTigerFan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,526 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:44 AM

I don't see them looking for scoring guards to pair next to Conley. Guys like Jennings and Stuckey IMO are far from who the FO would consider to play next to Conley (especially if we're talking a starting role).

Tyreke, Hill, Holiday may fit those molds because they play better with the ball in their ball hands, big guards and can defend the 2.

I think Tyreke makes sense, but we have enough injury prone players. We are better off hoping Baldwin or Harrison become that guy.

Tyreke injury history is almost as bad as Brandan Wrights and his defense and outside shooting have never improved.  So i would pass on him.   George Hill and Jrue Holiday will be getting bigger paydays then we can afford.  

Don't be surprised if you see Lance Stephenson in training camp.  We know Wallace likes retreads.