10377 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,330 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:37 PM

So apart from the miserables on this board, most logical people realize that the front office is going to make Marc Gasol their #1 priority.

So what other moves will happen:

1. Jeff Green, I believe, will take his player option and look to play himself into a big contract next year when the money goes up. In the open market he isn't going to get 9 mill a year.

2. Vince Carter, to me what the grizzlies end up doing with Vince Carter will be critical since he has so much on the team he affects. With Vince, I don't see Jordan Adams seeing the light of day. Without Vince that paves the way for Adams to crack the regular man rotation (which he should do, by the way)

3. Nick Calathes, is gone.

4. Kosta Koufus. to me Koufus HAS to be resigned. I am not sure what his number will be but I'd have to match anything up to 10 million for him He is just too valuable to let go.

5. Jon Leuer. I am really not sure what the grzzlies should do with him, but he only cost 1 million dollars so I could see the grizzlies keeping him on that number and hoping he develops into something.

6. Beno and clee - both of these guys are solid role players who are on contracts till next year so there is really nothing to do with either of them. However, I think the grizzlies certainly need to upgrade both positions.

What I am looking for from the grizzlies this offseason then is to clear the way for Jordan Adams and Jarnell Stokes to compete for the regular man rotation. I also think that the grizzlies NEED to find a way to get a dynamic pg to play behind conley. I think with Stokes, Koufus, Marc and Zach, we are set at the pf and center spots.

I would hate for the grizzlies to go into next season with Vince Carter on the roster (amnesty anyone?).

The grizzlies need smalls and a bunch of them. Also, I might consider changing coaches but I am not sure who we'd get.

Lingering questions: will the grizzlies try to use jeff green as trade bait to get a draft pick, which I would love but not sure how it would be done.

#2 Ndq0327

Ndq0327

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,950 posts
  • Interests:My family, sports, fishing, my xbox, and browsing the web.

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:43 PM

So you dont want to change anything just trot the same squad out next year? If Green opts in Trade Him. VC gets traded to along with Lee and Beno we need a whole new bench. KK isn't coming back to sit behind Marc long term it make no sense. This team needs a change in direction plain and simple the things we do with this roster with this coach wont work come playoff time how many re runs do yall need to watch before you realize this show got cancelled two years ago.

#3 GrizzFan3

GrizzFan3

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:49 PM

DJ needs to go and we need to change the offense a little bit. Nothing drastic but get more ball movement and run more plays to free up shooters. If Green does opt out I would go for Wes Matthews. He is coming of the Achilles injury but he plays way better defense than Jeff and has a consistent 3 pointer.

#4 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,330 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:53 PM

DJ needs to go and we need to change the offense a little bit. Nothing drastic but get more ball movement and run more plays to free up shooters. If Green does opt out I would go for Wes Matthews. He is coming of the Achilles injury but he plays way better defense than Jeff and has a consistent 3 pointer.

I don't think green is going to opt out, it doesn't make sense on any level for him to do that. I hope that the grizzlies do what it takes to sign kosta.

Also, draft-wise, I hope the grizz can move up to get a guy like jerian grant. The main think is that I hope the front office MAKES joerger play our young guys.

#5 Arkm110

Arkm110

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:55 PM

I'd love to trade green for a pick around 12-15 and get booker. Idk if that would be enough but if it isn't then we could throw in our 25th pick or maybe something less significant. By Doing this we could open a lot of cap space to sign a shooter maybe Matthews. And with booker, I think he looks a lot like klay Thompson

#6 Father Pat

Father Pat

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,243 posts
  • Interests:The Memphis Grizzlies.

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:57 PM

There is a very real possibility that the Grizzlies could lose both Gasol and KK.
Kosta will jump at the first big contract he gets offered that includes a starting role, and he should. Marc will sit back and play the offers he gets against each other and take what he believes to be best for him and his family. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a one year deal with promises of a bigger long term deal to follow.
Lakers & Knicks will probably be willing to spend big on him and be the finalists with the Grizzlies in the Gasol sweepstakes.

#7 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,330 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:58 PM

I'd love to trade green for a pick around 12-15 and get booker. Idk if that would be enough but if it isn't then we could throw in our 25th pick or maybe something less significant. By Doing this we could open a lot of cap space to sign a shooter maybe Matthews. And with booker, I think he looks a lot like klay Thompson

I would rather go for a pg than a shooting guard. We need to give adams a chance, and our greatest need is a pg that can control tempo behind conley, like dennis the menace in Atlanta's doing. 

#8 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,330 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:00 PM

There is a very real possibility that the Grizzlies could lose both Gasol and KK.
Kosta will jump at the first big contract he gets offered that includes a starting role, and he should. Marc will sit back and play the offers he gets against each other and take what he believes to be best for him and his family. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a one year deal with promises of a bigger long term deal to follow.
Lakers & Knicks will probably be willing to spend big on him and be the finalists with the Grizzlies in the Gasol sweepstakes.

I don't think Marc is going to sign a 1 year deal, it's wayyyyy to risky if he gets injured. If he were 25 maybe he does this, but I doubt he does this at his age, and the grizzlies are going to give him the max so the dollars from somebody else ain't going to matter.

Maybe this is what you HOPE happens. But i don't see it.

#9 Arkm110

Arkm110

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:01 PM

I would rather go for a pg than a shooting guard. We need to give adams a chance, and our greatest need is a pg that can control tempo behind conley, like dennis the menace in Atlanta's doing.

i agree with the adams thing but at the same time, we need to build for the future. Allen doesn't have much left in the tank. Maybe 2-3 years before he's completely useless. We are gonna need 2 good sg. Adams and booker would be solid. We have russ smith to develop for the pg position.

#10 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,330 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:05 PM

i agree with the adams thing but at the same time, we need to build for the future. Allen doesn't have much left in the tank. Maybe 2-3 years before he's completely useless. We are gonna need 2 good sg. Adams and booker would be solid. We have russ smith to develop for the pg position.

russ smith is way below the talent we need at the backup pg spot. I'm looking for jeorger to manage the minutes of our big 4 a lot better this next year if he comes back and that means we need somebody besides beno udrih to back up conley.

#11 ItIsWhatItIs

ItIsWhatItIs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,776 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:08 PM

If FO is fine with keeping the things the way they are and Gasol resigns

1. I'd make a big push for CJ Watson who was terrific for the Pacers this year. He's more of a small sg than a true pg but he's a good defender who can also shoot the lights out, career 38% from 3 point range.

2. Again depends on what they think about Jam Green, if they believe he's a good solid backup pf then just let him develop and if not, go after athletic guys like T-Rob or a veteran like Amir Johnson or Brandon Bass.

That's pretty much it since the wing guys in free agency are terrible outside of the big payday guys, Koufos is probably gone but who cares. A draft pick or a decent free agent can replace 10 minutes per game of averageness 

#12 Lexus LX 570

Lexus LX 570

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:11 PM

The Grizzlies need to target 3 and D players like Danny Green or DeMarre Carroll for example and see what they can get for Tony Allen. Wouldn't mind upgrading the backup PG position. I prefer going after a center like Ajinca who can make jumpshots as well as free throws.

#13 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,330 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:13 PM

If FO is fine with keeping the things the way they are and Gasol resigns

1. I'd make a big push for CJ Watson who was terrific for the Pacers this year. He's more of a small sg than a true pg but he's a good defender who can also shoot the lights out, career 38% from 3 point range.

2. Again depends on what they think about Jam Green, if they believe he's a good solid backup pf then just let him develop and if not, go after athletic guys like T-Rob or a veteran like Amir Johnson or Brandon Bass.

That's pretty much it since the wing guys in free agency are terrible outside of the big payday guys, Koufos is probably gone but who cares. A draft pick or a decent free agent can replace 10 minutes per game of averageness 

the problem with this is playing time. I still maintain that the grizzlies desperately NEED a dynamic pg behind conley. The problem is if we get somebody will Joerger play him.

my fantasy is that the grizzlies get a high level pg in the draft and hope the grizzlies play him. 

#14 Thomas

Thomas

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:13 PM

I wonder if Wes Matthews' achilles injury will drive down his market price. Probably wishful thinking, but man I would love him here. That's the guy we need to go with the rest of the core.

#15 Father Pat

Father Pat

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,243 posts
  • Interests:The Memphis Grizzlies.

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:14 PM

Maybe this is what you HOPE happens. But i don't see it.

There you go again, making half baked assumptions.

Marc has more than himself to think about now. Where his wife and kid reside will be a big issue. You are also forgetting potential endorsement money that he can make with other teams that doesn't exist while playing in Memphis.
If Marc wants to stay in Memphis but his wife doesn't, how do you think that will turn out?

Marc staying in Memphis is not as solid as you think.

#16 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,330 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:16 PM

There you go again, making half baked assumptions.

Marc has more than himself to think about now. Where his wife and kid reside will be a big issue. You are also forgetting potential endorsement money that he can make with other teams that doesn't exist while playing in Memphis.
If Marc wants to stay in Memphis but his wife doesn't, how do you think that will turn out?

Marc staying in Memphis is not as solid as you think.

why are you defending your position so hard? again, i don't see him walking. 

#17 some1nw

some1nw

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:28 PM

The Grizzlies need to target 3 and D players like Danny Green or DeMarre Carroll for example and see what they can get for Tony Allen. Wouldn't mind upgrading the backup PG position. I prefer going after a center like Ajinca who can make jumpshots as well as free throws.

Carroll would be great as the starting SF.

#18 ItIsWhatItIs

ItIsWhatItIs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,776 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:24 PM

the problem with this is playing time. I still maintain that the grizzlies desperately NEED a dynamic pg behind conley. The problem is if we get somebody will Joerger play him.

my fantasy is that the grizzlies get a high level pg in the draft and hope the grizzlies play him. 

I've been wanting a secondary ball handler capable of playing sg next to Conley for years but I feel it's never going to happen. At the lower end of the draft the only guy like that is probably Delon Wright but he wouldn't get playing time. The only rookies who will get playing time under Joerger are high pick guys but Memphis has nothing to get into the range to take a guy like Deangelo Russell. 

Then the guys available in free agency at Memphis' price point aren't capable of playing that role except a guy like Stuckey. But would I want Memphis to sacrifice Adams' minutes in favor of mediocrity like Stuckey, no. 

Honestly, even if Gasol leaves I'd want to bring in CJ Watson in because he'll be the first two way backup pg Memphis has ever had. He fits need perfectly and does it a suitable price. Guys like Watson or a CJ Miles last year are the type of dudes Memphis should have always been targeting imo 

#19 Southern Dreadz

Southern Dreadz

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts
  • Interests:I dunno...how does your momma look? She might interest me.

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:10 PM

The chances are that JGreen will pick up his option, why would he give up that much money. I'm sure his agent told him the truth that the way he played this playoffs loss him any potential payday he could have made by opting out. Now his best option is to do as KBM said and take his chances next year playing into a better position.

KK is likely gone as he will look for a starting role.

Nick is gone and Leuer is a cheap bench filler.

The FO should demand that Adams and Smith play early and often to see what they have in them. Adams could fill the role of a starter or a rotation player easily. While Russ may night run a team as what is needed to back up Conley he could very well serve as a nice change of pace player and instant offense off of the bench.

They should also look to manage ZBo and Marc's minutes next season by getting a third big, a 6'9"-6'10" guy that is long and athletic.

#20 TimBC

TimBC

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,595 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:13 PM

I would rather go for a pg than a shooting guard. We need to give adams a chance

I can see why a coach might be reluctant to play a rookie in this highly competitive division, but developing Adams is really the only way this team gets better, so it HAS to happen.