The Zoo Crew

29 replies to this topic

#1 BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

Since this is the name the Grizz bench gave themselves, let's talk about our 4 bench guys for a minute...

After tonight's game, Ellington is shooting 47% from 3. Bayless is shooting 50% from 3 and has made a 3 pointer in every single game. Q is shooting 46% from 3.

Bayless has a PER of 17.79, averaging 3.6apg and only 1 turnover a game. Mo also has a league average PER at a little over 15. Q and Ellington are in the 10-11 range.

Big games so far from all members of the Zoo Crew. Speights had his 18 and 9 night vs. Houston. Ellington's game was last night. Q's big game was against Utah. I guess you can say Bayless big game was against Houston as well.

I cannot wait to see how well this bench performs throughout the rest of the season. It feels good to say that we have a bench now and we will actually be 10 deep once DA returns.

#2 BnaBreaker

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,392 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:28 AM

I love our bench this year. This year we have both Ellington and Bayless there that both specialize in things (shooting and ball handling respectively) that we relied OJ Mayo alone for. Not only that, but both of them are better at each of their specialties than OJ was.

#3 Cam.

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:37 AM

I wonder when the TA fan boy's are going to realize TA has only been averaging 16 minutes over the last 3 games..

It's time to put Trick or Treat Tony in the Zoo Crew where he belongs. He'll be allowed to cause havoc and have the same effect as Bledsoe coming off the bench. Ellington is just a much better fit in the starting 5. He'll get the looks he got tonight consistently.

#4 Subliminal

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:22 AM

Who are the TA fanboys?

#5 Memphissippi

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:44 AM

Theres a reason why Tony starts and its cause he does one thing well. Unless hes guarding Sefolosha or something he should be starting.

#6 Trybanski Time

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

View PostMemphissippi, on 12 November 2012 - 06:44 AM, said:

Theres a reason why Tony starts and its cause he does one thing well. Unless hes guarding Sefolosha or something he should be starting.

Yup... We all know what Tony does well. And he's doing it very well right now.

Why change things now? It seems to be working pretty well.

#7 GrizzTigerFan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,369 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

View PostTrybanski Time, on 12 November 2012 - 08:12 AM, said:

Yup... We all know what Tony does well. And he's doing it very well right now. Why change things now? It seems to be working pretty well.

I hate to admit but this is true. Tony puts alot of stock on being a starter just like OJ did. Right now the best thing about the "Zoo crew" is that they have all accepted their roles and being reserves. They have the right mentality and it shows. If Tony moves to the bench he will prob sulk or something silly. Even Mo is starting to embrace his role so if it "aint broke don't fix it". When DA comes back he and Mo will switch up depending on match-ups.

#8 Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

I like the fact that both Bayless and Ellington look for opprotunities to pop out into an open area beyond the 3 point arch. Their movement around the 3 point line is something we haven't seen here since Wesley Person.

In contrast, OJ never played that type of two man game around the 3 point line. He'd just stand in a spot and wait for the basketball to come his way.

#9 GrizzTigerFan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,369 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

View PostKevin B Moses, on 12 November 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

I like the fact that both Bayless and Ellington look for opprotunities to pop out into an open area beyond the 3 point arch. Their movement around the 3 point line is something we haven't seen here since Wesley Person. In contrast, OJ never played that type of two man game around the 3 point line. He'd just stand in a spot and wait for the basketball to come his way.

Great observation. OJ is a "scorer" not a shooter. He liked to create his own shot - which is fine if he is 2nd option but we already had Rudy and Zbo doing that. We needed "shooters" and that is what Ellington and Qpon are proving to be and now we can truly see the difference in our offense.

They are the reason Conley is able to average so many assists now he passes it to guys who actually let the ball fly instead of going into dribble dribble pull-up.

#10 Grizzled Vet

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

TA is a good fit for the starting lineup because he doesn't help the 2nd unit score points, but he does help defensively.

#11 smit-tay griz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

View PostTrybanski Time, on 12 November 2012 - 08:12 AM, said:

Yup... We all know what Tony does well. And he's doing it very well right now.

Why change things now? It seems to be working pretty well.
This

#12 STS

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Interests:NBA,NFL,MLB,NHL.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

I hope we finally get some All Star recognition with the team we have this year. Put Mike in the skills competition, Ellington in the 3 pt competition, Wroten or Selby in the dunk competition, and Rudy in the all star game. We will sweep the NBA All star weekend. :D

#13 smit-tay griz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

Let's put the Grizzlies in the Finals.

#14 lil'tony wroten

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

keep allen a starter, look at the games ....every teams shooting guard has had a bad game (ellis, wade, harden)

#15 Acehigh718

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,248 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

View Posttony balogna, on 12 November 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

keep allen a starter, look at the games ....every teams shooting guard has had a bad game (ellis, wade, harden)
Yep. Let's not tinker with success, for now. What we're doing is clearly working.

#16 Grizzled Vet

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

I hope they come up with a new nickname. The Zoo Crew sounds like some "wacky" morning show that does various zany "bits" while playing great classics of rock from Rush and AC/DC.

#17 Father Pat

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts
  • Interests:The Memphis Grizzlies.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

View PostGrizzled Vet, on 12 November 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

I hope they come up with a new nickname. The Zoo Crew sounds like some "wacky" morning show that does various zany "bits" while playing great classics of rock from Rush and AC/DC.
...or something involving muppets.

#18 RekeHavoc

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

They can call themselves whatever they like as long as they keep pounding teams like they have been.

#19 new_skool91

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

View PostCam., on 12 November 2012 - 01:37 AM, said:

I wonder when the TA fan boy's are going to realize TA has only been averaging 16 minutes over the last 3 games..

It's time to put Trick or Treat Tony in the Zoo Crew where he belongs. He'll be allowed to cause havoc and have the same effect as Bledsoe coming off the bench. Ellington is just a much better fit in the starting 5. He'll get the looks he got tonight consistently.
Meh...why mess with something that's working? I'm not saying that Ellington isn't a better fit because it does seem like what he brings on the offensive end is >>>>>> than Tony's superiority to him on the defensive end, but it's about balance. I can't argue that the spacing on the floor is better with WE3 out there though.

#20 chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,796 posts
  • Interests:GRIZZLIES, golf, soccer, women

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

View PostCam., on 12 November 2012 - 01:37 AM, said:

I wonder when the TA fan boy's are going to realize TA has only been averaging 16 minutes over the last 3 games.. It's time to put Trick or Treat Tony in the Zoo Crew where he belongs. He'll be allowed to cause havoc and have the same effect as Bledsoe coming off the bench. Ellington is just a much better fit in the starting 5. He'll get the looks he got tonight consistently.
Ellington isn't looking like a starter right now. QPon is stealing minutes from Tony not Ellington.