Boozer or Amare or bust.

#22 Iggy

Iggy

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 02:48 AM

3 players under 22 in the league average 20 or more pts a game. Two play for the Grizzlies. Somthing to think about.

#23 N I

N I

Mayoneso

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,369 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:27 AM

QUOTE (Allen @ Dec 17 2008, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe Utah will decide to save money by starting Milsap and letting Boozer Walk.

Utah will certainly have problems with his frontcourt this summer. Boozer will opt out, Milsap is a RFA who is more coveted every day and Okur is a FA this or next summer. They are going to have to make some decisions, specially with Williams' max contract kicking in next season.

Boozer is getting the max.

Milsap is not likely to settle for the MLE anymore, a Darko-like contract at the least IMO.

Okur might wait to the 2010, many teams will be upset and with capspace, a good chance for getting overpaid.

If they stick with the three of them, they will go way over 80 million in the payroll for a couple of seasons at least, meaning tons of luxury tax money and still a wingman away of contending, not the best case scenario for any franchise, specially if you are not in a big market. So they have maybe three options this summer:

A) They let Boozer walk and make Milsap their man. The we step in an offer him the max tongue.gif

cool.gif They try to work a S&T with Milsap to get as much value as possible without adding salaries. There we are again.

C) They dump Kirilenko and his contract, saving almost 70 million in two seasons, depending on were the luxury tax treshold is placed.

We can play a significant role in any of those options Utah might consider. It's obvious that Boozer can help us, specially if we look ready to win next season (that means 30+ wins this season, and a good draft addition). Milsap is more in the age of the project, and Kirilenko and his defense, polivalnece and experience could certainly help us, but at the price of our capspace for 2010, is it worth it?

#24 Commadoor Sixty-four

Commadoor Sixty-four

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,063 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (Kevin B Moses @ Dec 17 2008, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not really blaming fans, but I do think that heisley has begun to run this team like a business in that he expects to get a return on his investment. So for him to sign boozer to a 18 - 20 million dollar contract, he'd have to be sure that the fans will pack the area every night. I might be wrong but I don't believe heisley believes that the grizzlies have that kind of fan base yet. Now if the fans come out in droves by the end of the season, I think heisley will open his wallet, but not until then.

Not trying to argue with you but, that exactly backwards from how a business plan works.

"If you build it, they will come."

NOT,

"if they come, you'll build it."

If Boozer is put on this team and the realistic success that would probably come from that were to happen, the Forum would eventually fill, in my estimation fairly quickly, as Memphis is a fickle community when it comes to sports but, put a winner out there and Mphs fans will come in droves.

#25 Uncle Sweetness

Uncle Sweetness

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (Commadoor Sixty-four @ Dec 18 2008, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If Boozer is put on this team and the realistic success that would probably come from that were to happen, the Forum would eventually fill, in my estimation fairly quickly, as Memphis is a fickle community when it comes to sports but, put a winner out there and Mphs fans will come in droves.

This is probably a better worded version of what I was thinking. Thanks 64.

#26 david sparks

david sparks

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (MemphisX @ Dec 18 2008, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think once we get a post scorer that Mayo will become less of a scorer.

Here is my top 5:

1. Amare
2. Boozer
3. Beasley
4. Millsap
5. Brandan Wright

I think all can be had by next season. Especially if we get the right draft pick.

totally down with this cept i dont think mayo will score less. amare is my #1 too but his reason for leaving PHX is he wants to be the first option, mayo could easily be better respectively than amare and then you also have rudy still. so id be nervous about a power struggle there. for keeping the peace sake and being safe boozer/milsap would be prefered but amare would be the 3rd star needed to win a championship when you talk about the 3 stars theory.

i dont see pierce, kg, allen as needing to have an established 1st option bc they understand team ball. they all wanted rings more than anything.
thats something veterans understand after years of playing on losing teams.
idk that rudy/oj/amare would get that right away

gasol and amare together would be pretty tight

#27 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (Iggy @ Dec 18 2008, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
3 players under 22 in the league average 20 or more pts a game. Two play for the Grizzlies. Somthing to salivate about.

Changed (not fixed). I think that's far more accurate. We should be thanking our lucky stars. A phrase I never thought you'd be able to associate with this franchise.

#28 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,330 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (Commadoor Sixty-four @ Dec 18 2008, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not trying to argue with you but, that exactly backwards from how a business plan works.

"If you build it, they will come."

NOT,

"if they come, you'll build it."

It is not what you believe. Where's the evidence? I talk to people all the time that don't even think about the grizzlies. These are young guys that you would think would have an interest in basketball. At one point, the argument was Pau was the reason the forum wasn't filling up, and the whole idea was we need to get a player in here that memphis population can relate to. Well, that was accomplished you would think with oj mayo and rudy gay, but apparently this is not the reason the forum wasn't filling. Now it is, well, if the grizzlies are winning they will come. I am not so sure.

My gut feeling is Memphis still are bitter about the zero playoff wins in what is it like 14 games now. I am too lazy too pull it up. The grizzlies, in my opinion, are going to have to win a playoff series to win fans back at that isn't happening any time soon.

My point is hesiley isn't going to spend that kind of money knowing that the memphis fans are still skepitical they can compete.

#29 Iggy

Iggy

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (Kevin B Moses @ Dec 18 2008, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My point is hesiley isn't going to spend that kind of money knowing that the memphis fans are still skepitical they can compete.

Heisley is as a big a basketball fan as anybody on these boards. I think he knows what the addition of Boozer will mean to this franchise, and if he can get him, he will spend the money. The summer of 2009 is the time to strike, and I think Heisley knows that and is prepared for it.

#30 Baseline Coach

Baseline Coach

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Location:Up the big hill from the lake, around the corner from old grain silo, up the street from the Gardens, across from to the Chateau, next to the Overton's old tracks

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE (GF#1 @ Dec 17 2008, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We are a PF away.

Boozer or Amare or bust.

U think so? mellow.gif

#31 Baseline Coach

Baseline Coach

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Location:Up the big hill from the lake, around the corner from old grain silo, up the street from the Gardens, across from to the Chateau, next to the Overton's old tracks

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (Iggy @ Dec 18 2008, 02:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
3 players under 22 in the league average 20 or more pts a game. Two play for the Grizzlies. Somthing to think about.

good point