Wasn't The Lockout About Helping Smaller Markets?

Memphis and OKC

14 replies to this topic

#1 BeBoutBidness

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

Wasn't the lockout supposed to help smaller market teams be more competitive? It seems the new CBA will hurt more than help. OKC and Memphis lost James Harden and Rudy Gay this season while the LA Lakers were able to add Dwight Howard and Steve Nash. NY, Brooklyn, LA, Boston, and teams of that nature can go over the tax line because of lucrative local TV deals while smaller market teams have to make sure they stay under the tax line. It seems like more of the same to me rather than helping the little guys out.

#2 IdrinkGuinness

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts
  • Interests:Heavy metal, horror movies, beer, camping.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

Lin,asik too.

It does help small market owners if they are under the lux tax.

#3 gamecocks11

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

I would like to know where the money we collect from being under the tax goes. Pockets or invested back into the business?

#4 gandalfill0

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

View PostBeBoutBidness, on 01 February 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

Wasn't the lockout supposed to help smaller market teams be more competitive? It seems the new CBA will hurt more than help. OKC and Memphis lost James Harden and Rudy Gay this season while the LA Lakers were able to add Dwight Howard and Steve Nash. NY, Brooklyn, LA, Boston, and teams of that nature can go over the tax line because of lucrative local TV deals while smaller market teams have to make sure they stay under the tax line. It seems like more of the same to me rather than helping the little guys out.

No.

You were not paying attention.

Lockout was supposed to help smaller markets be profitable, not competitive.

Regardless of that, we are still in the adjustment phase... Even though they "can" pay it for as long as they want, tax hit for the Lakers, for example, at their current payroll once the repeater and full "multipliers" of the tax system are in place will be so high that they won't want to pay it anyway. I would wait for a few years to see if it helps or it doesn't.

In the end I believe it will sort of spread the talent a bit more, making "three max players" team less common. Which is not that bad, but it will take a while.

#5 BeBoutBidness

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

View Postgandalfill0, on 01 February 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

No. You were not paying attention. Lockout was supposed to help smaller markets be profitable, not competitive. Regardless of that, we are still in the adjustment phase... Even though they "can" pay it for as long as they want, tax hit for the Lakers, for example, at their current payroll once the repeater and full "multipliers" of the tax system are in place will be so high that they won't want to pay it anyway. I would wait for a few years to see if it helps or it doesn't. In the end I believe it will sort of spread the talent a bit more, making "three max players" team less common. Which is not that bad, but it will take a while.

I was just about to post this

#6 fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

What the above posters said. The lockout was all about the money, not about competition or putting a good product on the court.

To be fair, shortly after the CBA was signed and the lockout finished the owners reached an agreement on the revenue sharing system, which redistributes money from larger to smaller markets regardless of their salary/tax situation. This is obviously better than before but still completely unaffected by the CBA and the salary / roster decisions.

So, bottom line, the owners get a bigger percentage of the money as a whole, small market teams get a bigger slice of the big maket revenues, everybody gets equally hammered by the new punitive tax rules, big market teams still have the upper hand because they still have more money overall.

#7 Griz Nizzle In Da Hizzle

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

Competitive parity has never been an objective of the NBA business model. The new CBA helps small market teams limit operating losses, as long as they remain under the lux cap threshold. Which will inherently widen the competitive divide.

#8 Acehigh718

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

View Postgandalfill0, on 01 February 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

Lockout was supposed to help smaller markets be profitable, not competitive.
Yahtzee!

#9 GrizzedByBluffCity

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,157 posts
  • Interests:** Please DO NOT REPLY to this computer generated e-mail. **

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

that's why the hardcap was never discussed.

#10 Grizzled Vet

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

The problem was not signing Rudy at a much lower price than they did.
The problem was having Marc Gasol, and still drafting Thabeet when other studs were available.
Ditto on the huge ZBo contract.

I believe the Pau Gasol was a great move, but some of the moves after that, especially those with Heisley's involvement, is what really hurt.

First round draft picks that the Grizzlies let walk (or guys that were attained with first rounder):
OJ Mayo, Ronnie Brewer, Hasheem Thabeet & DeMarre Carroll (also cost a 1st rounder in Battier deal), Dominique Jones

Smaller market teams have to be smarter.

#11 BeBoutBidness

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

View PostGrizzled Vet, on 01 February 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

The problem was not signing Rudy at a much lower price than they did. The problem was having Marc Gasol, and still drafting Thabeet when other studs were available. Ditto on the huge ZBo contract. I believe the Pau Gasol was a great move, but some of the moves after that, especially those with Heisley's involvement, is what really hurt. First round draft picks that the Grizzlies let walk (or guys that were attained with first rounder): OJ Mayo, Ronnie Brewer, Hasheem Thabeet & DeMarre Carroll (also cost a 1st rounder in Battier deal), Dominique Jones Smaller market teams have to be smarter.

+1

#12 IdrinkGuinness

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

View PostGrizzled Vet, on 01 February 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

The problem was not signing Rudy at a much lower price than they did.
The problem was having Marc Gasol, and still drafting Thabeet when other studs were available.
Ditto on the huge ZBo contract.

I believe the Pau Gasol was a great move, but some of the moves after that, especially those with Heisley's involvement, is what really hurt.

First round draft picks that the Grizzlies let walk (or guys that were attained with first rounder):
OJ Mayo, Ronnie Brewer, Hasheem Thabeet & DeMarre Carroll (also cost a 1st rounder in Battier deal), Dominique Jones

Smaller market teams have to be smarter.

Right and trading Rudy was a smart move.
Now we have to make more smart moves.

#13 Grizzled Vet

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostIdrinkGuinness, on 01 February 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

Right and trading Rudy was a smart move. Now we have to make more smart moves.

Too early to judge this move, either way.
Having a low payroll, and a lot of great role players, might just get the team "Best Lottery Team" at the end of a few seasons.

I don't think they'll be able to land a top 30 player as a free agent without significantly overpaying.

#14 IdrinkGuinness

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

We have 2 top 30 players

#15 chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,325 posts
  • Interests:GRIZZLIES, golf, soccer, women

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

The new collective bargaining agreement was intended to help small market teams make a profit. It had nothing at all to do with making them more competitive.