Photo

Grizzlies being given opportunity to leave? Hope not!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BealeSt.BlueBleeder

BealeSt.BlueBleeder

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:41 PM

I thought of something today that kind of made me wonder. If the city turns the pyramid into something instead of keeping it as an arena,doesn't that break the agreement that they have with the grizzlies? Does that give the grizzlies to opportunity to leave if the agreement is broken by the city? I've been hearing for a few years how in the grizzlies agreement with the city of memphis that once fedexforum opens,the city has to have a back up arena in case of emergency with the forum. Meaning in case of some unforseen event occuring and the forum is unavailable the grizz need a back up arena to play in. Now let's not fool anyone. The coliseum probably couldn't serve as a backup for a NBDL team! So why aren't the grizz mentioning this to the city. Why aren't they stepping in and reminding city and county officials the pyramid is their backup facility. If the grizzlies ever do decide to leave,would the city even have a chance should a lawsuit come up,because after all wouldn't they been the ones to have broken the agreement by not keeping the pyramid as a backup arena? What if they came up with an agreement to use an arena in little rock or somewhere? Would that count since the building isn't actually in memphis? What do you all think about this?

#2 ojnum1

ojnum1

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:52 PM

i live in nashville but love the grizzlies. i only get to see there games on TV but the attendance looks EXTREMELY pitiful. is it better then it looks because i want the grizz to stay?

#3 BealeSt.BlueBleeder

BealeSt.BlueBleeder

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (ojnum1 @ Dec 18 2008, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i live in nashville but love the grizzlies. i only get to see there games on TV but the attendance looks EXTREMELY pitiful. is it better then it looks because i want the grizz to stay?

Attendance looks better on tv than it does in person. Trust me! A few more people are starting to show now that we're starting to click though.

#4 HPTMatt

HPTMatt

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:57 PM

to the OP, please use the search function regarding this topic. This has been discussed on this board to the point of somewhere far beyond ad infinitum.

It may be that the previously held discussions on this topic were conducted on the "old" board, so the threads may have been purged in the switchover...but I doubt it, since this comes up like every three months.

#5 BealeSt.BlueBleeder

BealeSt.BlueBleeder

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (HPTMatt @ Dec 18 2008, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
to the OP, please use the search function regarding this topic. This has been discussed on this board to the point of somewhere far beyond ad infinitum.

It may be that the previously held discussions on this topic were conducted on the "old" board, so the threads may have been purged in the switchover...but I doubt it, since this comes up like every three months.

I'm not making a topic of wether or not the grizzlies move,the topic is about wether or not the city of memphis is giving them a chance to move by trying to renovate the pyramid into something. I'm not saying hey the grizz'll be gone by such and such or the grizz'll be gone because of such and such, I'm asking is the city of memphis potentially breaking an agreement that they have with the team by not having a backup arena. Thereby giving them a reason to move should they decide to

#6 Back2Grizzness

Back2Grizzness

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (BealeSt.BlueBleeder @ Dec 19 2008, 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not making a topic of wether or not the grizzlies move,the topic is about wether or not the city of memphis is giving them a chance to move by trying to renovate the pyramid into something. I'm not saying hey the grizz'll be gone by such and such or the grizz'll be gone because of such and such, I'm asking is the city of memphis potentially breaking an agreement that they have with the team by not having a backup arena. Thereby giving them a reason to move should they decide to

There are other arenas in mem. besides the pyramid.

#7 LOULOU

LOULOU

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Interests:God, my Wife,Family,School,Grizzlies,Nike Sneakers,Sportcenter!

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:45 PM

Quit with this topic! It sucks! The Grizz are here to stay!

#8 grizzlyalidocious

grizzlyalidocious

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:01 AM

QUOTE (LOULOU @ Dec 19 2008, 03:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quit with this topic! It sucks! The Grizz are here to stay!

Agreed.

BealeSt.BlueBleeder seems to be one of the biggest "the sky is falling" fan's on here.

#9 Latilleon

Latilleon

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:13 AM

QUOTE (BealeSt.BlueBleeder @ Dec 19 2008, 01:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought of something today that kind of made me wonder. If the city turns the pyramid into something instead of keeping it as an arena,doesn't that break the agreement that they have with the grizzlies? Does that give the grizzlies to opportunity to leave if the agreement is broken by the city? I've been hearing for a few years how in the grizzlies agreement with the city of memphis that once fedexforum opens,the city has to have a back up arena in case of emergency with the forum. Meaning in case of some unforseen event occuring and the forum is unavailable the grizz need a back up arena to play in. Now let's not fool anyone. The coliseum probably couldn't serve as a backup for a NBDL team! So why aren't the grizz mentioning this to the city. Why aren't they stepping in and reminding city and county officials the pyramid is their backup facility. If the grizzlies ever do decide to leave,would the city even have a chance should a lawsuit come up,because after all wouldn't they been the ones to have broken the agreement by not keeping the pyramid as a backup arena? What if they came up with an agreement to use an arena in little rock or somewhere? Would that count since the building isn't actually in memphis? What do you all think about this?

These are the days I wish the old threads were available.

Any building can be provided... DCC, Alltel in Little Rock, Sommet in Nashville, even the place in Tupelo.

We don't have to keep the Pyramid for that purpose.

And if we had a something big enough to destroy or extensive damage FEF, how would the Grizz look leaving us like that? Especially with the precident of the Hornets in NOLA.

#10 GrizzledGrizzFan

GrizzledGrizzFan

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:43 AM

Look, as much as it's obvious that Stern hates the situation in Memphis with the current attendance situation, the Grizz/Memphis situation has one huge factor in its favor - the Forum itself. Stern is all about the venue. That's the very reason the Sonics are in OKC. Stern demanded a new arena in Memphis, the city provided, the Grizz are here to stay for the foreseeable future. End of story.

#11 Eli

Eli

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:02 AM

There's also the Desoto Civic Center 15 minutes south in Southaven. I don't see this being a problem.

#12 Uncle Sweetness

Uncle Sweetness

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE (Eli @ Dec 19 2008, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's also the Desoto Civic Center 15 minutes south in Southaven. I don't see this being a problem.

I have never been inside there so I don't know whether it would have the neccessary capacity? But it was the first place that came to my mind as well.

#13 BealeSt.BlueBleeder

BealeSt.BlueBleeder

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (grizzlyalidocious @ Dec 19 2008, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed.

BealeSt.BlueBleeder seems to be one of the biggest "the sky is falling" fan's on here.

What BealeSt.BlueBleeder is is a grizz lovin fan as much as you all. But BealeSt.BlueBleeder also pays attention to facts and numbers. The facts are we're losing, Fans don't care, Fans aren't showing up, we're last in the league in attendance, Heisley's trying to sell to the highest bidder,doesn't matter if they're local,and the media,national AND local is killing us. Now you add this to the fact that stern has said the economy may effect some franchise's locations and I say that you all should be just as concerned as I am. Don't think that the forum will save us either,because a state of the art arena is nothing without fans in it! And if Seattle had their team ripped away after 41 loyal seasons don't think we can't lose ours after 8 seasons. I'm not flat out saying hey the griZz are gonna move but what I am saying people is keep your eyes and ears open,because you could be happy about a grizz win today and [MOD EDIT] over their relocation tomorrow

#14 J.Buckets

J.Buckets

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:41 AM

#15 The REF

The REF

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:21 AM

The only person that needs to leave is the Head Coach. I can even scoop by there to drop him off at Wilson Air Center.