Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,337 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (david sparks @ Dec 21 2008, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
um... the tigers win.
the griz dont.

ive long said, you can fix every single problem this team has, by winning games. the end.

if he wants to stick around for a whole game and see a happy ending, we need more talent.

so dont compare the tigers to the griz.

Again, the reason you have a 3 year plan is because your young players are going to have to develop. Now, if the grizzlies get to 3 year point and they let their players go, then that is something to gripe about.

We don't need more talent, more than we need our current talent to develop and gel. If we go out and spend money on a free agent like Randolph we just screwed our cap space for what? Maybe to go to the playoffs. I don't think so. Until mayo and marc develop, which is going to take more than 1 quarter of a season, my god!, we don't need to bring anybody in.

That strategy hardly ever works.

The best strategy, most time tested way, to get to the championship is to draft a superstar and let him develop, once he develops add players to compliment him. We have that player now in OJ Mayo and it is only a matter of time before the grizzlies are going to be really good.

#42 The REF

The REF

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE (Allen @ Dec 21 2008, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
3 wins in 3 months would have to be a record. Forget playing hard, I would just retire.

What's our record now? 9 wins? in 3 months? And that's with a 4 game winning streak.

October, November, December? Take away the 4 game winning streak and the buzzer beater by Rudy against Orlando we would be at 3 games.

Of course I think we'll win more, but I was asking if our record is something like 12-50 or 15-45 in March 09" would some players quit on the coach?

#43 MemphisX

MemphisX

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,655 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (Kevin B Moses @ Dec 21 2008, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Again, the reason you have a 3 year plan is because your young players are going to have to develop. Now, if the grizzlies get to 3 year point and they let their players go, then that is something to gripe about.

We don't need more talent, more than we need our current talent to develop and gel. If we go out and spend money on a free agent like Randolph we just screwed our cap space for what? Maybe to go to the playoffs. I don't think so. Until mayo and marc develop, which is going to take more than 1 quarter of a season, my god!, we don't need to bring anybody in.

The best strategy, most time tested way, to get to the championship is to draft a superstar and let him develop, once he develops add players to compliment him. We have that player now in OJ Mayo and it is only a matter of time before the grizzlies are going to be really good.

No the most time tested way is to have the most talented teams. Teams that "don't need more talent" are not getting beat by 25+ at home to Charlotte. That is just crazy talk. This is the kin of talk that ha Chicago turning down deals for KG, Gasol, and Kobe. Player development is not an exact science. Players just don't get exponentially better with time.

The idea that we don't need to add talent is

#44 david sparks

david sparks

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (Kevin B Moses @ Dec 21 2008, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i definitely disagree. we do need more talent.
we need more bench talent.
we need more PF talent.
and we need rudy/mayo/gasol and a pg to progress and refine their talent.

if one or any of them labors and takes to long, it needs to be recognized and addressed to get more talent.

the statement "we dont need more talent" is shocking. i understand the context but that phrase in of it self is stupid.

i didnt say anything about randolph and i didnt want him. hes not the right player.
im also not saying spend money just to spend it or get generically any talent.

josh smith was/is a perfect fit. maybe it was a front but at least they tried.
boozer or milsap would be a great fit.
bosh might be a solid fit.
i would like a defensive minded PF banger that can shoot the 3 or at least has a vast array of post moves.

im not talking about temporary winning with randolph and another weak playoff run, im talking about giving wallace the green light to get talent and that his main objective every day is to be as active as possible to find any and every deal we could possibly do with gasol, rudy and mayo more or less off the table (depending on the deal of course).

obviously i understand mayo is going to take more than 1 quarter. i dont remember placing any blame on him.
flat out, more talent that fits our goals in weak positions and the bench will result in more wins which may also include more talent at the coaching position.
its hard to argue right now we could even get more talent than oj as it appears he's over flowing with it.

again, the idea that we dont need to bring anybody in is stupid. sorry, but it really is.
ill remind that the 3yp is actually the 2YP now and if you think this team as is, will be set in 2 years you need to come off your OJ high.

really?
i didnt realize the celtics drafted KG, Allen or Posey. odd. or that the Lakers drafted bryant, gasol or fisher.

no we're not a large market but if you expect to win just on OJs back you can go talk to AI about his time in philly or pierce about this time in boston until all that UNDRAFTED talent filled the lockers next to him

we need more talent in various places. the end.

#45 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,337 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (david sparks @ Dec 21 2008, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i definitely disagree. we do need more talent.
we need more bench talent.
we need more PF talent.
and we need rudy/mayo/gasol and a pg to progress and refine their talent.

if one or any of them labors and takes to long, it needs to be recognized and addressed to get more talent.

the statement "we dont need more talent" is shocking. i understand the context but that phrase in of it self is stupid.

i didnt say anything about randolph and i didnt want him. hes not the right player.
im also not saying spend money just to spend it or get generically any talent.

josh smith was/is a perfect fit. maybe it was a front but at least they tried.
boozer or milsap would be a great fit.
bosh might be a solid fit.
i would like a defensive minded PF banger that can shoot the 3 or at least has a vast array of post moves.

im not talking about temporary winning with randolph and another weak playoff run, im talking about giving wallace the green light to get talent and that his main objective every day is to be as active as possible to find any and every deal we could possibly do with gasol, rudy and mayo more or less off the table (depending on the deal of course).

obviously i understand mayo is going to take more than 1 quarter. i dont remember placing any blame on him.
flat out, more talent that fits our goals in weak positions and the bench will result in more wins which may also include more talent at the coaching position.
its hard to argue right now we could even get more talent than oj as it appears he's over flowing with it.

again, the idea that we dont need to bring anybody in is stupid. sorry, but it really is.
ill remind that the 3yp is actually the 2YP now and if you think this team as is, will be set in 2 years you need to come off your OJ high.

really?
i didnt realize the celtics drafted KG, Allen or Posey. odd. or that the Lakers drafted bryant, gasol or fisher.

no we're not a large market but if you expect to win just on OJs back you can go talk to AI about his time in philly or pierce about this time in boston until all that UNDRAFTED talent filled the lockers next to him

we need more talent in various places. the end.

You did not read what I said. I said we don't need more talent, MORE than we need to develop the talent we got. Much different.

Question: how are we to obtain this said talent that you want so bad? Besides the draft.

My idea is that we develop Rudy and OJ and Marc, rather than trade them for DIFFERENT TALENT.

The point is, every team since at least 1980, except for Boston last year and Detroit one year, has DRAFTED their superstar to win the championship. Yes the lakers brought in shaq but even then the lakers had kobe and miami had dwade. This is since 1980. You don't win a championship unless you draft a superstar. I challenge you to show me different.

As far as Bryant is concerned he was a laker pick all along. He never played for anybody but the lakers. As far as boston is concerned, they got lucky that 2 very good players were available.

Am i saying don't pick up lebron if he is available, hell no. I am just smart enough to know that the grizzlies have no shot at lebron.

#46 f-dizzle

f-dizzle

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:09 PM

We need talent, plain and simple. We are not set at the PG spot because on a good night, both og our PGs together average what DJ Augustine averages. Arthur might be our PF of the future, but not in the forseeable future. Our frontline of Gasol and Darko can play against slower centers and hold their own, but athletic frontines like the Hornets and Bobcats give us problems. Our bench is inconsistent. Ross hasn't played well since we signed him for the rest of the year. Hak is up and down. Buckner should not see the court.

We don't have enough shooters to run what Ivy wants to run. That's why he went to Wallace about acquring some shooters. Teams are gonna choose to shut down either Rudy or OJ. When they give the ball up, we have to have the personnel to score the ball.

#47 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,337 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (f-dizzle @ Dec 21 2008, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We need talent, plain and simple. We are not set at the PG spot because on a good night, both og our PGs together average what DJ Augustine averages. Arthur might be our PF of the future, but not in the forseeable future. Our frontline of Gasol and Darko can play against slower centers and hold their own, but athletic frontines like the Hornets and Bobcats give us problems. Our bench is inconsistent. Ross hasn't played well since we signed him for the rest of the year. Hak is up and down. Buckner should not see the court.

We don't have enough shooters to run what Ivy wants to run. That's why he went to Wallace about acquring some shooters. Teams are gonna choose to shut down either Rudy or OJ. When they give the ball up, we have to have the personnel to score the ball.

How do we get it? Simple question.

You guys act like I am against talent. All I am saying is that, if you look at our current team and deduce that we need more talent based on whatever criteria you can come up with, you are wrong. We are not winning, not because we don't have the talent to win, but because we are a young team.

Well I hear you say, because we are losing we need to blow it up. If I am putting words in your mouth, what then? How do we acquire more talent then? With Conely, with Hak?

Who do we trade? How much of an upgrade does hak get us? How much does Conely? Nominal if you ask me.

#48 10SC-2-TOKYO

10SC-2-TOKYO

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,640 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (Kevin B Moses @ Dec 22 2008, 01:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who do we trade? Say conley and I'll ask you how much of an upgrade would we get trading him. Nominal if you ask me.

How about If I say Conley ... FIRST you ask -> for WHO ???

THEN ... you can decide if it is nominal or not ... wink.gif

#49 Notorious O.D.K.

Notorious O.D.K.

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,400 posts
  • Interests:Grizzlies, Redskins, Tigers and Vols!!!!!!!

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:19 PM

Heisley responds and says it's much ado about nothing and people are making stuff up

#50 new_skool91

new_skool91

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,629 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (On-Demand Klondike @ Dec 21 2008, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice link. Heisley seems to be a pretty straightforward and sometimes overly blunt dude. I'm sure if the was PO'd, he would have admitted it in some form. Good to see that he is reaching out to fans.

#51 MemphisX

MemphisX

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,655 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (On-Demand Klondike @ Dec 21 2008, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Astute eyes usually notice that Heisley hasn’t sat in his courtside seats at about midcourt all season. He’s given them up in an effort to maintain and lure customers.

LOL...GO GET SOME ******* TAKENT! GETTING AN UP CLOSE LOOK AT A CRAPPY TEAM IS ONLY GOOD FOR SO LONG!!

Astute eyes might have seen Heisley on the court when Rudy Gay hit the game winner vs. Orlando. wink.gif

#52 Zack

Zack

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,064 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:08 AM

Hahahaha

Tillery and heisley respond. Hahahaha

Was it herringtons blog post or the messageboard that pushed them to respond?

Why is tillery concerned with using his time to respond to silly things like this?

#53 f-dizzle

f-dizzle

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE (Kevin B Moses @ Dec 22 2008, 01:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do we get it? Simple question.

You guys act like I am against talent. All I am saying is that, if you look at our current team and deduce that we need more talent based on whatever criteria you can come up with, you are wrong. We are not winning, not because we don't have the talent to win, but because we are a young team.

Well I hear you say, because we are losing we need to blow it up. If I am putting words in your mouth, what then? How do we acquire more talent then? With Conely, with Hak?

Who do we trade? How much of an upgrade does hak get us? How much does Conely? Nominal if you ask me.

Trading Hak, Conley, or Kyle seperately may not net us much. But trade them in a package along with draft picks and cash considerations, we can get this done. Yes, we are young. But if we are building for the future, let's give us a chance to win in the future.

If we wanted to, we could absorb a star player with our cap space and still be in a position to play in 2010 free agency.

#54 Zack

Zack

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,064 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE (On-Demand Klondike @ Dec 22 2008, 03:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No one made anything up. Herrington made a joke, relating it back to how bad the game was.

He didn't "report" or "infer" anything.

Tillery is making much ado about nothing.

#55 MemphisX

MemphisX

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,655 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (Zack @ Dec 22 2008, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No one made anything up. Herrington made a joke, relating it back to how bad the game was.

He didn't "report" or "infer" anything.

Tillery is making much ado about nothing.

...and a strange thing to respond to with all the issues going on with the roster.