Dave Joerger Named Head Coach (It's Official Now)

180 replies to this topic

#21 new_skool91

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:57 PM

So Hopefully this works out similarly to the Prince for Rudy trade.

#22 new_skool91

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

But can anybody see this team winning more than 56 games next year and at least getting back to the WCF? I want to say why not, but I just feel like this year was an aligning of the stars type of year.

#23 yelloyello

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:03 PM

FINALLY! Glad that drama is over.Now on to next drama, the deal with TA, JBay, and Dooling.... And maybe even ZBO. Hopefully, we can now focus on moving forward and next year's victories. I never knew off season could be so suspenseful... And I thought the season and post-season stressed me out!

#24 Father Pat

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,120 posts
  • Interests:The Memphis Grizzlies.

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

View Postnew_skool91, on 24 June 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

But can anybody see this team winning more than 56 games next year and at least getting back to the WCF? I want to say why not, but I just feel like this year was an aligning of the stars type of year.
The West never stands still and I doubt that the Grizzlies are done making moves. Maybe not 56 again because we were very lucky with the injury bug, but 50 to 54 should be within reach followed with a good playoff run.

#25 GrizzliesIQYO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,740 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:15 PM

I'm all 4 him now..since he is our coach ...he has an idea on the players abilities and should have some respect ...lets hope he is not a poser but really a superstar coach ..I trust these guys cuz they took their time...he will have a hard time getting assistants being an unknown though

YO

#26 GrizzliesIQYO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,740 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:16 PM

I want to know his offensive ideology and how he will improve an already good D

Yo

#27 GrizzliesIQYO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,740 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:17 PM

Can somebody copy and paste the article

YO

#28 Father Pat

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:19 PM

View PostGrizzliesIQYO, on 24 June 2013 - 11:15 PM, said:

I'm all 4 him now..since he is our coach ...he has an idea on the players abilities and should have some respect ...lets hope he is not a poser but really a superstar coach ..I trust these guys cuz they took their time...he will have a hard time getting assistants being an unknown though YO
NBA assistants are a dime a dozen. That will be the least of his worries.
I think he will be just fine. Hats off and best of luck to the Grizzlies new head coach.

#29 Tom (formerly Awesome-O)

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

View PostGrizzliesIQYO, on 24 June 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

Can somebody copy and paste the article YO

The Memphis Grizzlies will name David Joerger as their next head coach, according to a source with knowledge of the team’s decision making.

Joerger is in negotiations to complete a three-to-four-year contract that would average less than $2 million per season. Joerger, the Grizzlies’ lead assistant coach for the past two seasons, will replace Lionel Hollins after the Griz made their first Western Conference Finals appearance.

Griz brass decided not to renew Hollins’ contract.

Hollins elevated Joerger to the role of lead assistant before the 2011-12 season, and empowered the young coach with more responsibility every year. Joerger is most familiar with the current roster and front office staff. Griz management could sell continuity with a Joerger appointment.

Joerger also implemented Hollins’ defensive principles as the Griz made significant strides defensively in conjunction with the arrival of Tony Allen the past few seasons. Joerger is also revered for being a championship head coach in the minor leagues before joining the Griz. He won five titles combined during stints in the NBA Development League, International Basketball Association and Continental Basketball Association.

Critics will point to the fact that Joerger has never been a head coach in the NBA. The one time he sat at the helm was Nov. 5, 2010. Joerger presided over a 123-118 double overtime loss and the Griz led by 18 points in that game. Joerger coached the game so that Hollins could attend the funeral of his former teammate Maurice Lucas.

The unknown of an assistant moving over to the head job on his current team is a legitimate concern. How will Joerger relate to a group of players that even insiders agree can be very difficult to coach? Plus, one has to wonder why Joerger interviewed with Charlotte, Houston and Portland over the past few years and didn’t get the head job? Also, Joerger ends up being only a candidate in Memphis when there will be a dozen head coaching changes this year.
Tillery sounds like a douche, haha.

#30 GrizzliesIQYO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,740 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

we are a well oiled machine..Joerger just has to improve the offense, keep egos under control and be honest about what players need to stay or go regardless of relationships....This hire will keep us stable and keep most fans happy...I also like the hire because if the guy is good..he can develop as our coach for the next decade instead of just being a stop-gap coach..He also probably saw a lot of Hollins mistakes and knows what players are team cancers so he has an advantage...now we can draft and have free agency with a leader in place...

YO

#31 Father Pat

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:24 PM

View PostGrizzliesIQYO, on 24 June 2013 - 11:21 PM, said:

we are a well oiled machine..Joerger just has to improve the offense, keep egos under control and be honest about what players need to stay or go regardless of relationships....This hire will keep us stable and keep most fans happy...I also like the hire because if the guy is good..he can develop as our coach for the next decade instead of just being a stop-gap coach..He also probably saw a lot of Hollins mistakes and knows what players are team cancers so he has an advantage...now we can draft and have free agency with a leader in place... YO
All good points.

#32 CarloJ63

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:36 PM

I'm glad we got this settled before the draft. Personally, I think the front office interviewed all the other guys, so it would seem like they were being objective, when in reality they wanted Joerger all the time. And I don't think it has anything to do with being cheap, as some have said. I think they believe Joerger will be a great coach, based on his coaching resume; which I tend to agree with.

#33 LilFrontOffice

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:41 PM

Very pleased with this decision. I think this move will also ensure that TA remains a Grizzly as well.

#34 GrizzliesIQYO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,740 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:47 PM

I believe the front office was objective ...when you work for a company ...you know all expectations, policies and procedures so answering loaded questions in an interview with people you know and answer questions about maximizing talent with players you know is CAKE

YO

#35 Grizz'dOutPoster

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:53 PM

I've heard that Joerger was the man behind our stellar defense. I can't wait to see how he'll do as head coach, it's finally his time. People who think this move is stupid are also the people who thought the Rudy trade was stupid. I personally think we'll be good, if not better, with Joerger

#36 yelloyello

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:07 AM

View PostGrizz'dOutPoster, on 24 June 2013 - 11:53 PM, said:

I've heard that Joerger was the man behind our stellar defense. I can't wait to see how he'll do as head coach, it's finally his time. People who think this move is stupid are also the people who thought the Rudy trade was stupid. I personally think we'll be good, if not better, with Joerger

I hope so, I believe so, as well. He better do a great job, because if he doesn't, my mother won't buy season tickets which means I do not get season tickets, lol. She is against the decision of getting rid of Hollins and replacing him with Joerger... But then again, my mom also hates the we traded Rudy Gay. So, kind of expected. I still believe.

#37 Grizball

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:08 AM

So according to that CA article we have a group of players that even insiders agree can be difficult to coach? Who are this group of players? Marc & Mike? Don't think so. Or just two players in specific: TA and ZBo. Heard that TA is really close to Joerger, so that probably won't be a problem if he is re-signed next season. About ZBo, who knows? He could be difficult to coach even under LH. I think Tillery is just trying to find something to pick on. I think this is a good hire, and Joerger is probably the best candidate to coach this team next season.

#38 grizz1016

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:17 AM

Tillery is a douche bag.

Joerger is a good hire.

#39 IdrinkGuinness

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Interests:Heavy metal, horror movies, beer, camping.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:18 AM

Nice !

#40 10SC-2-TOKYO

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,348 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:53 AM

Welcome to the big chair Coach!