60 replies to this topic

#41 memphis slim

memphis slim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,079 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:40 AM

just a random thought on a random thread....

kyle deserved to be in the 4th far sooner than when ivy put him in. far sooner. he played his tail off and we needed his aggressive play pushing the ball and making things happen. conley did not play bad, but kyle played better and we needed him out there.

slim.

#42 gamecocks11

gamecocks11

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE (Hellonwheels1 @ Dec 23 2008, 04:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Plays no defense, turns the ball over, takes stupid shots and plays no D late in games. HE CHOKES

you try defending kobe bryant for a night and let me know how i goes

you want rudy to be the leader? then let him take shots, i'd rather have him taking shots than greg buckner

rudy is doing whatever he can to make this team win, sometimes it doesn't work out

don't be such a debbie downer after the griz played a great game against the best in the west

#43 Iron Mike

Iron Mike

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:43 AM

THE GRIZZLIES ARE NOT EXPECTED TO WIN GAMES THIS SEASON AS THEY ARE STILL IN REBUILDING MODE. AND THERE YOU ARE COMPLAINING THAT WE LOST TO THE "LAKERS", ONE OF THE BEST TEAMS IN THE NBA RIGHT NOW. ARGUABLY IN THE TOP 3, WITH THE GRIZZ IN THE BOTTOM 3.

ITS VERY LOGICAL TO SEE THAT WE HAD A VERY LOW CHANCE OF WINNING THE GAME AND WHAT RESULT THAT HAD TRANSPIRED IS NOT SOMETHING TO BE SHOCKED OFF.

PLEEEAAAASEEE USE YOUR HEAD. THE MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES IS NO TOP TIER BASKETBALL TEAM, YET. SO PLEASE DONT EXPECT A TEAM THAT CAN WIN 50 GAMES. (just like what i expected when it was gay + pau era)

*sorry if it had to be all-caps, my mind was in a situation of madness. dammit, i hope he finds another team to cheer. tongue.gif

#44 f-dizzle

f-dizzle

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:53 AM

I know I'm eating crow on this one, but after watching replays of the game, Rudy was just standing there in the lane while Pau went for the rebound. Rudy should have forced a jump ball, but Pau (who is not that soft anymore) snatched it from Rudy and passed it to a wide open Kobe. C'mon Rudy. Be aggressive on defense. Lebron is even trying to play defense. You gotta take pride in your defense. Your my boy Rudy, but get the molasses out of your ***.

#45 pardon_my_interruption

pardon_my_interruption

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,063 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (memphis slim @ Dec 23 2008, 06:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just a random thought on a random thread....

kyle deserved to be in the 4th far sooner than when ivy put him in. far sooner. he played his tail off and we needed his aggressive play pushing the ball and making things happen. conley did not play bad, but kyle played better and we needed him out there.

slim.

I was thinking the same thing at the game slim.

However, I can kinda understand why he would want Conley in since the intent was to have Mayo dominate the ball late in the game. Conley is a bit better shooter off the ball than Kyle..so if OJ passes off a double team, Conley is more likely to make the shot at this point.

But after a crucial turnover, Ivy went back to Conley dominating the ball and that's when Rudy did some damage and we lost the game.

Iavaroni actually has gotten into a decent rhythm managing Kyle and Mike's minutes at the point.

#46 pardon_my_interruption

pardon_my_interruption

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,063 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:29 AM

I was thinking about Rudy Gay - the player last night.

If anyone has ever seen this guy up close, he is an absolute jaw-dropping specimen of an athlete.

I know Lebron James and Ron Artest are probably the biggest SF's in the NBA..but Rudy Gay has to be in the top 5.

With his size, leaping ability and wingspan, he is virtually unguardable.

With that said, the fact that we can't use him in a Phoenix 4 style offense says a lot about his basketball acumen, softness and overall desire.

With his talent, skills, and physical stature, Rudy Gay should be dominating his position.

But he is lacking a lot of intangibles (those mentioned above) that may never allow him to.

He will still be a very good player in the NBA.

#47 kfilament

kfilament

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (pardonmyinterruption @ Dec 23 2008, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If anyone has ever seen this guy up close, he is an absolute jaw-dropping specimen of an athlete.

I know Lebron James and Ron Artest are probably the biggest SF's in the NBA..but Rudy Gay has to be in the top 5.

With that said, the fact that we can't use him in a Phoenix 4 style offense says a lot about his basketball acumen, softness and overall desire.

With his talent, skills, and physical stature, Rudy Gay should be dominating his position.

But he is lacking a lot of intangibles (those mentioned above) that may never allow him to.

now PMI, you cant be on here being critical of Rudy, that means you not only want to trade him, but take his first born child, sell him off, and then kick rudy off the top of the peabody. remember only shower rudy with complements, no negative comments are allowed what so ever, least you be accused of wanting to do the above things and blaming the entire state of the franchise on rudy gay.

#48 pardon_my_interruption

pardon_my_interruption

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,063 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE (kfilament @ Dec 23 2008, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
now PMI, you cant be on here being critical of Rudy, that means you not only want to trade him, but take his first born child, sell him off, and then kick rudy off the top of the peabody. remember only shower rudy with complements, no negative comments are allowed what so ever, least you be accused of wanting to do the above things and blaming the entire state of the franchise on rudy gay.

Hey I realized that and went back and edited my post to include that I think he is still a good player. laugh.gif

#49 kfilament

kfilament

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE (pardonmyinterruption @ Dec 23 2008, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey I realized that and went back and edited my post to include that I think he is still a good player. laugh.gif

good, didnt want you to feel the wrath. I was covinced by the wrath that i personally believe that rudy should be sent to the d-league to work on his game.

#50 tjazz22

tjazz22

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE (BnaBreaker @ Dec 23 2008, 03:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lord have mercy...if only stupidity were illegal...

+1!! Rudy and OJ carried this team last night. They quit going to him!! Because he missed a shot he lost the game? blink.gif PLEASE!!!! Some guys should just watch soccer or tennis or something!! LORD PLEASE HELP THEM!

#51 MemphisX

MemphisX

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,655 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (kfilament @ Dec 23 2008, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
good, didnt want you to feel the wrath. I was covinced by the wrath that i personally believe that rudy should be sent to the d-league to work on his game.

...or maybe it could be because you said Gay wasted everyone's effort by not guarding Kobe on that 3 pointer? I mean if you want to see how wrong you are then it is just one click away.

laugh.gif

I expect you to continue your agenda.

It is funny nobody has mentioned Gasol and how horrible he played. Tried to crossover his brother and got stripped

Just blame Rudy...

#52 kfilament

kfilament

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:01 AM

I expect you to continue your agenda.

i expect you to keep saying that, oliver stone.

#53 Gman1

Gman1

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (BnaBreaker @ Dec 22 2008, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously. Can this clown's IP address be blocked or something? It has to be the same kid.

Do you think this just because it is a new poster starting a thread after every game reciting the same stuff about Rudy? wink.gif

To help identify this person earlier, maybe we need to see if they will take a suggestion on what their next posting name should be. Something like "Rudyisnotacloser" would be helpful. tongue.gif

#54 pardon_my_interruption

pardon_my_interruption

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,063 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE (MemphisX @ Dec 23 2008, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tried to crossover his brother and got stripped

Sasha Vujacic returned the favor to Baby Gasol late in the game too. I remember that!

#55 Iggy

Iggy

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:02 PM

There’s a fair amount of criticism of Rudy Gay on this message board. Some of it is clearly over-the-top and absurd, and those responsible for it should be mocked and laughed at. But other message board criticism of Rudy Gay is often constructive and healthy.

Blaming Rudy for last night’s loss or any loss is clearly outlandish and just not credible. But critiquing Rudy’s shot-selection, defensive effort, or in-game focus is not necessarily unreasonable or unwarranted. In fact, it may be beneficial in the long-run.

The fact is every player in the NBA has been criticized by fans from time to time. Kobe was hammered for years for being selfish and unable or unwilling to make others better. But look at him now. He’s not the same player. Lebron has also been criticized by fans – in his case, for his defense and his free throw shooting. But this year he’s looking like all-NBA defender and he’s free throw shooting is over 80%.

Does Rudy get more than his fair share of criticism from Grizzlies fans? Perhaps. But so did Pau, as do most team leaders and franchise players. Rudy may be young but he’s a veteran on the Grizzlies and he’s coming off of an amazing second year. At this point, he deserves more scrutiny than Marc or OJ or Darrell.

I think that most of us who are critical of Rudy from time to time see the same thing: an incredible athlete with all of the physical tools to be an elite player in the NBA. We just want Rudy to meet his full potential. Perhaps some of us are being too impatient in our assessment of Rudy’s progress. Or maybe our expectations are too high. But most of us are big fans of Rudy Gay and we want to see him take another step forward.

#56 Notorious O.D.K.

Notorious O.D.K.

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,400 posts
  • Interests:Grizzlies, Redskins, Tigers and Vols!!!!!!!

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (Iggy @ Dec 23 2008, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There’s a fair amount of criticism of Rudy Gay on this message board. Some of it is clearly over-the-top and absurd, and those responsible for it should be mocked and laughed at. But other message board criticism of Rudy Gay is often constructive and healthy.

Blaming Rudy for last night’s loss or any loss is clearly outlandish and just not credible. But critiquing Rudy’s shot-selection, defensive effort, or in-game focus is not necessarily unreasonable or unwarranted. In fact, it may be beneficial in the long-run.

The fact is every player in the NBA has been criticized by fans from time to time. Kobe was hammered for years for being selfish and unable or unwilling to make others better. But look at him now. He’s not the same player. Lebron has also been criticized by fans – in his case, for his defense and his free throw shooting. But this year he’s looking like all-NBA defender and he’s free throw shooting is over 80%.

Does Rudy get more than his fair share of criticism from Grizzlies fans? Perhaps. But so did Pau, as do most team leaders and franchise players. Rudy may be young but he’s a veteran on the Grizzlies and he’s coming off of an amazing second year. At this point, he deserves more scrutiny than Marc or OJ or Darrell.

I think that most of us who are critical of Rudy from time to time see the same thing: an incredible athlete with all of the physical tools to be an elite player in the NBA. We just want Rudy to meet his full potential. Perhaps some of us are being too impatient in our assessment of Rudy’s progress. Or maybe our expectations are too high. But most of us are big fans of Rudy Gay and we want to see him take another step forward.

Uhh, with all due respect and no disrespect to you. I don't really see the point of this post. I have not seen one person on this board who has EVER said Rudy cannot be criticized. I have been posting on this board a long time and I think most people realize that your best players will get criticized when the team is losing and pretty much everything you said has been said on this board at least 1000 times before so I think people realize that. So I'm not exactly sure what the point is. It seems as if your argument is "Rudy should be criticized when he doesn't play well" Uhh okay, I'm pretty sure everyone agrees. Same goes for OJ, Kyle, Conley, Gasol, Darko, etc It just seems to me you are trying make a point that everyone already agrees with.

With that being said. It's one thing to criticize a player and it's another thing to go overboard and start nitpicking just to be negative. You say I have been defending Rudy. To me, that would imply that I'm making up excuses for his behavior. I look at it as quite the contrary, I'm basically stating facts when people are throwing out regurgitated bs about Rudy. Such as....I didn't get a chance to respond but right after that Charlotte game I saw someone posted that all Rudy was doing was "chunking up bricks all night". Really? Rudy went 7-10 in that game, so a player shooting 70% is just "chunking up bricks all night"? That's interesting. yet people say Rudy needs better shot selection. Then this thing about Rudy not passing, which is funny as well. Should Rudy pass more? possibly, it depends on his role on this team, but it seems that some people totally ignore when he does passes. That's why in some of the game threads when people starting regurgitating the same ole same ole, I step in and point out when he does pass, especially when the person misses wide open shots. I did that in a couple of game threads and one person who repeatedly kept saying Rudy never passes seemed to be irritated with me for repeatedly pointing out when he did pass. That's not defending him, that's pointing out facts. Some people seemed to be upset with Rudy in that Charlottte game because he didn't help OJ get to double digits, really? So Rudy's job is to help OJ get to double digit scoring? Forget all of that trying to help the team win anything, he needed to help OJ and yet another regurgitated piece of bs-Rudy never passes to OJ. Rudy has passed to OJ numerous times. As a matter of fact, in that Charlotte game Rudy made three really good passes that I can rememebr, one to OJ, one to Ross and one to Marc down low. They were all wide open and they all missed their shots. Yet, people try to use Rudy's low assists total as justification of him not passing. That was 3 lost assists right there, Rudy did his part, the other players didn't finish. Also, in last night's game thread, there were 2 posts which pointed out Rudy's poor shot selectiona nd ohh what a bad shot by Rudy, thing is RUDY DIDN'T EVEN TAKE THE SHOTS. So if you think me pointing out FACTS that discredit regurgtated bs on this board is me defending Rudy so be it. Jut realize that I criticize, praise, and defend not only Rudy, but OJ, Marc, Darrell, Darko, Kyle, Conley, Hak and everybody else equally. Since Rudy seems to be one of the most talked about players, a lot of my responses are to comments on Rudy. It's as simple as that. I have not seen one person on this board say that Rudy is above criticism. As I satated in the other thread, I just state my opinion. It's one thing to rightfully criticize someone, it's something totally different to blame that person for everything from single-handedly losing games to stopping OJ's streak to blaming him for shots he didn't even take to blaming him for others missing wide open layups to blaming Rudy for killing 2Pac, Biggie, and JFK. It's ridiculous. What else did Rudy do, invent SARS?

It's funny that you mention that you feel Rudy should be criticized and no player is above criticism, cause anytime I mention something about OJ, people jump down my throat and tell me how I hate OJ and ask why do I have a problem with OJ? Funny thing is, they totally ignore when I pat the guy on the back. I guess people have their own views and are entrenched in those views. I just leave it as that and state my opinion. my fair and balanced opinion.

#57 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,033 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (pardonmyinterruption @ Dec 23 2008, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He will still be a very good player in the NBA.

I think this is a very fair assessment. We need an analysis of his "year 1 to year 2" dramatic jump and look at it per 48 minutes, to see if it was truly the improvement we all thought it was, because that jump certainly set the bar very high for him. Having a rook like Mayo next to him (especially with THIS fanbase) only makes him look worse.

But you cannot discount that coaching may have something to do with it. I know what Rudy's rep was coming out of UConn, but I don't see it being as bad as people made it out to be. I think he wants to compete and win. But nobody ever claimed Rudy had an outstanding basketball IQ. There's only so much he will be able to do freelancing in the NBA.

#58 BnaBreaker

BnaBreaker

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,881 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (Gman1 @ Dec 23 2008, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you think this just because it is a new poster starting a thread after every game reciting the same stuff about Rudy? wink.gif

Lol, it was just an educated guess I suppose. If this guy really is a new poster then I suppose I should cut him some slack, but that doesn't make the thread any less annoying.

#59 BnaBreaker

BnaBreaker

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,881 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (tjazz22 @ Dec 23 2008, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
+1!! Rudy and OJ carried this team last night. They quit going to him!! Because he missed a shot he lost the game? blink.gif PLEASE!!!! Some guys should just watch soccer or tennis or something!! LORD PLEASE HELP THEM!

I love watching soccer and tennis too. smile.gif

#60 grizzdafuture

grizzdafuture

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (On-Demand Klondike @ Dec 23 2008, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uhh, with all due respect and no disrespect to you. I don't really see the point of this post. I have not seen one person on this board who has EVER said Rudy cannot be criticized. I have been posting on this board a long time and I think most people realize that your best players will get criticized when the team is losing and pretty much everything you said has been said on this board at least 1000 times before so I think people realize that. So I'm not exactly sure what the point is. It seems as if your argument is "Rudy should be criticized when he doesn't play well" Uhh okay, I'm pretty sure everyone agrees. Same goes for OJ, Kyle, Conley, Gasol, Darko, etc It just seems to me you are trying make a point that everyone already agrees with.

With that being said. It's one thing to criticize a player and it's another thing to go overboard and start nitpicking just to be negative. You say I have been defending Rudy. To me, that would imply that I'm making up excuses for his behavior. I look at it as quite the contrary, I'm basically stating facts when people are throwing out regurgitated bs about Rudy. Such as....I didn't get a chance to respond but right after that Charlotte game I saw someone posted that all Rudy was doing was "chunking up bricks all night". Really? Rudy went 7-10 in that game, so a player shooting 70% is just "chunking up bricks all night"? That's interesting. yet people say Rudy needs better shot selection. Then this thing about Rudy not passing, which is funny as well. Should Rudy pass more? possibly, it depends on his role on this team, but it seems that some people totally ignore when he does passes. That's why in some of the game threads when people starting regurgitating the same ole same ole, I step in and point out when he does pass, especially when the person misses wide open shots. I did that in a couple of game threads and one person who repeatedly kept saying Rudy never passes seemed to be irritated with me for repeatedly pointing out when he did pass. That's not defending him, that's pointing out facts. Some people seemed to be upset with Rudy in that Charlottte game because he didn't help OJ get to double digits, really? So Rudy's job is to help OJ get to double digit scoring? Forget all of that trying to help the team win anything, he needed to help OJ and yet another regurgitated piece of bs-Rudy never passes to OJ. Rudy has passed to OJ numerous times. As a matter of fact, in that Charlotte game Rudy made three really good passes that I can rememebr, one to OJ, one to Ross and one to Marc down low. They were all wide open and they all missed their shots. Yet, people try to use Rudy's low assists total as justification of him not passing. That was 3 lost assists right there, Rudy did his part, the other players didn't finish. Also, in last night's game thread, there were 2 posts which pointed out Rudy's poor shot selectiona nd ohh what a bad shot by Rudy, thing is RUDY DIDN'T EVEN TAKE THE SHOTS. So if you think me pointing out FACTS that discredit regurgtated bs on this board is me defending Rudy so be it. Jut realize that I criticize, praise, and defend not only Rudy, but OJ, Marc, Darrell, Darko, Kyle, Conley, Hak and everybody else equally. Since Rudy seems to be one of the most talked about players, a lot of my responses are to comments on Rudy. It's as simple as that. I have not seen one person on this board say that Rudy is above criticism. As I satated in the other thread, I just state my opinion. It's one thing to rightfully criticize someone, it's something totally different to blame that person for everything from single-handedly losing games to stopping OJ's streak to blaming him for shots he didn't even take to blaming him for others missing wide open layups to blaming Rudy for killing 2Pac, Biggie, and JFK. It's ridiculous. What else did Rudy do, invent SARS?

It's funny that you mention that you feel Rudy should be criticized and no player is above criticism, cause anytime I mention something about OJ, people jump down my throat and tell me how I hate OJ and ask why do I have a problem with OJ? Funny thing is, they totally ignore when I pat the guy on the back. I guess people have their own views and are entrenched in those views. I just leave it as that and state my opinion. my fair and balanced opinion.

thank you for being real man. Although I'm new to posting on this thread, im not new to the boards at all, I just recently decided to put my opinion out there and everyone is entitled to one. But very well spoken. It seems as if people on these boards search for negatives all day rather than pointing out the good as well like On Demand said. It just kills me when you so called fans put this team under the bus night in and night out. There are very few honest Grizz fans on here and when i say fans i mean supporters not people who are all for relocating the Grizz or saying what they should have done or need to do. If you don't do your part as a fan by supporting whether it be a grizz event or the most important thing, THE GAMES, then plz save it. Yes Rudy took a bad shot at the end, yes he could have made an extra pass to an open man, but people refuse to point out all the good that Rudy did last night, the good defense OJ play for most of the game(he denied Kobe the ball for along time) Darko stepped up big time, sure Marc should have played better. But as pointed out The Grizz aren't "THERE" yet. Most people expected us to get blown out and we had a W in our hands until the last few minutes of the game, but as you look at it, thats been the story for the Grizz this whole season so far. If we could just finish games in the last 3-4 minutes we should have atleast 3 or 4 more wins right now. This just proves that we are maybe 4 players away from being a playoff team. But plz its ok to give constructive criticism, but how do you expect this team and organization to grow when it doesn't even have support from most of the city. Put yourself in their shows for once and think how it would be with all these negative so called fans. Just something to think about