30 replies to this topic

#1 The REF

The REF

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:42 PM

1.) Who would you build your team around?

2.) What moves would you make and why?

3.) What coach would you like to hire to replace Coach Ivaroni

4.) Would you be a cheap azz owner?

#2 JenkzMEMPHIS

JenkzMEMPHIS

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Design, Sports, Film and Video, Music, Gettin Crunk.

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:25 PM

OJ Mayo and Marc Gasol

Trade Mike Conley because I don't believe he is capable of running a good offense

Hmm, there are alot of names out there. I'd need some time to think about it

Haha nah, I'd make the necessary moves in order to win a championship and win over the city of Memphis regardless of cost.

#3 BealeSt.BlueBleeder

BealeSt.BlueBleeder

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (JenkzUM @ Dec 19 2008, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OJ Mayo and Marc Gasol

Trade Mike Conley because I don't believe he is capable of running a good offense

Hmm, there are alot of names out there. I'd need some time to think about it

Haha nah, I'd make the necessary moves in order to win a championship and win over the city of Memphis regardless of cost.

DITTO!

#4 JenkzMEMPHIS

JenkzMEMPHIS

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Design, Sports, Film and Video, Music, Gettin Crunk.

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:35 PM

BTW, once you are a perennial contender, you probally will never have to worry about money again. I don't see the advantages of holding back and taking it slow. I would dive in headfirst.

#5 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE (OJ The Juice Maker @ Dec 20 2008, 03:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1) O J Mayo, clearly.

2) Either through FA or trade acquire the player 28-30 who I think best compliments Mayo's game. Hopefully keeping Gay in the process. Everyone else is expendable.

3) Anybody with years of winning NBA experience

4) In this market? Absolutely. The last time this team got in the top 10 in league payroll and made the playoffs 3 straight years, we still struggled to have sellouts. I'd do exactly what Heisley is doing...hope to build a team of young players who can compete (a la Portland), build some excitement, and then spend the team to the next level only if I saw the fans were willing to come along for the ride. I don't blame him one iota for what he's doing.

#6 MemphisX

MemphisX

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,651 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:44 AM

QUOTE (The Juice Factor @ Dec 20 2008, 01:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1) O J Mayo, clearly.

2) Either through FA or trade acquire the player 28-30 who I think best compliments Mayo's game. Hopefully keeping Gay in the process. Everyone else is expendable.

3) Anybody with years of winning NBA experience

4) In this market? Absolutely. The last time this team got in the top 10 in league payroll and made the playoffs 3 straight years, we still struggled to have sellouts. I'd do exactly what Heisley is doing...hope to build a team of young players who can compete (a la Portland), build some excitement, and then spend the team to the next level only if I saw the fans were willing to come along for the ride. I don't blame him one iota for what he's doing.

That is not what Portland is doing. You can't be that blind. Portland is spending left and right. They paid Steve Francis $30 million dollars to get rid of Zach Randolph and they have spent over $20 million in varius trades for draft picks. Portland has the 4th highest payroll in the NBA. If Portland was doing it the Grizz way then they would not have taking on Raef LaFrentz to exchange Telfair for the #7 pick or bought the pick for Sergio or Fernandez. So take Portland minus Brandon Roy, Sergio and Fernandez and add in the Grizz draft luck of Conley instead of Oden and you got what we are right now...utter crap!!! Portland also hired a coach that had one a playoff series.

Now to the OP...

1. Rudy Gay, OJ Mayo, $20 million in capspace, and the 2009 lottery pick would be my core.

2. Trade Conley+ for Barbosa, move Mayo to the point, extend Rudy Gay somewhere between Granger and Jefferson, try my damndest to trade for Beasley.

3. Bill Laimbeer or David Blatt

4. No. The value of an NBA franchise is like a house. Even though you pay the mortgage, you hope the house increases in value. If the increase is not what was expected, you do not stop maintaining the house and hope to catch up once thigns get better. Also, a good businessman should have found better ways to make a profit than owning a pro team.

#7 Zack

Zack

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,064 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:30 AM

i'll just agree with X here...great ideas....

#8 f-dizzle

f-dizzle

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:54 AM

1. Build around Rudy and OJ. They are gonna be good.

2. Get some veteran help in that can contribute. We need other scorers other than Gay/Mayo. I would get some shooters in here. Also a rebounding PF who can score would help.

3. Flip Saunders. Why, because his offensive schemes are second to none. He's really not that bad of a coach. Expectations were too high in Detroit, but he'd fit in perfect here. Maybe Avery.

4. When the Grizzlies had a high payroll, we were playoff teams. You have to pay for talent. If I want to win, I gotta pay.

#9 JSM

JSM

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:52 AM

Gerald Wallace to Memphis
Darko Milicic, Travis Outlaw to Charlotte
Mike Conley to Portland

Hire an defensive coach

#10 BnaBreaker

BnaBreaker

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,881 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:02 PM

If I owned the Grizzlies the team would be screwed because it'd have a budget of about $300. That might be enough to persuade 500 pound Kevin Duckworth out of retirement.

#11 smit-tay griz

smit-tay griz

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,694 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (BnaBreaker @ Dec 20 2008, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I owned the Grizzlies the team would be screwed because it'd have a budget of about $300. That might be enough to persuade 500 pound Kevin Duckworth out of retirement.

If you can persuade Duckworth out of retirement for that money you are indeed a miracle man as he passed away earlier this year, I think.

#12 ken2232

ken2232

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (MemphisX @ Dec 20 2008, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is not what Portland is doing. You can't be that blind. Portland is spending left and right. They paid Steve Francis $30 million dollars to get rid of Zach Randolph and they have spent over $20 million in varius trades for draft picks. Portland has the 4th highest payroll in the NBA. If Portland was doing it the Grizz way then they would not have taking on Raef LaFrentz to exchange Telfair for the #7 pick or bought the pick for Sergio or Fernandez. So take Portland minus Brandon Roy, Sergio and Fernandez and add in the Grizz draft luck of Conley instead of Oden and you got what we are right now...utter crap!!! Portland also hired a coach that had one a playoff series.

Now to the OP...

1. Rudy Gay, OJ Mayo, $20 million in capspace, and the 2009 lottery pick would be my core.

2. Trade Conley+ for Barbosa, move Mayo to the point, extend Rudy Gay somewhere between Granger and Jefferson, try my damndest to trade for Beasley.

3. Bill Laimbeer or David Blatt

4. No. The value of an NBA franchise is like a house. Even though you pay the mortgage, you hope the house increases in value. If the increase is not what was expected, you do not stop maintaining the house and hope to catch up once thigns get better. Also, a good businessman should have found better ways to make a profit than owning a pro team.

PERFECTLY said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 BnaBreaker

BnaBreaker

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,881 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (smit-tay griz @ Dec 20 2008, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you can persuade Duckworth out of retirement for that money you are indeed a miracle man as he passed away earlier this year, I think.

Oh yeah, you're right. Well, so much for that plan.

#14 HPTMatt

HPTMatt

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:37 PM

If I owned the Grizzlies, I'd be thankful every day that I had enough cheese to buy and own an NBA team.

But I digress.

The team must bring in a young vet, and it may cost assets that we don't want to lose to do so-wait until the first or so week of Feb., and there will be some team who thinks that they should be further along than they are and they will decide that they need $ worse than they need young PF x or y.

I'm still hopeful that capspace may finally show up to play and could average about 20 and 9 from the PF position.

#15 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (MemphisX @ Dec 20 2008, 06:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, you can argue with me, but Heisley holds Portland up as an example of what he's trying to do. My interpretation is only a reflection of what Heisley says in the papers.

I certainly agree with you that the additional spending they've done is not part of Heisley's pattern.

I didn't know Portland was carrying the league's 4th highest payroll, but even not looking I know they are carrying some expensive players at the end of their contract or on their wish list for shipping out. So I would say that example is not exactly fair. But even in the Grizz's heyday we were spending in that territory while averaging somewhere in the middle in attendance, so my overall point stands. There's no point putting that kind of money out year after year in this market.

#16 MemphisX

MemphisX

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,651 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (The Juice Factor @ Dec 20 2008, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, you can argue with me, but Heisley holds Portland up as an example of what he's trying to do. My interpretation is only a reflection of what Heisley says in the papers.

I certainly agree with you that the additional spending they've done is not part of Heisley's pattern.

I didn't know Portland was carrying the league's 4th highest payroll, but even not looking I know they are carrying some expensive players at the end of their contract or on their wish list for shipping out. So I would say that example is not exactly fair. But even in the Grizz's heyday we were spending in that territory while averaging somewhere in the middle in attendance, so my overall point stands. There's no point putting that kind of money out year after year in this market.

Well with all the success OKC has ha in selling tickets, they are still #12 in attendance. It is a function of market. So if Heisley thought he would move his team to the smallest NBA market and lead the league in attendance then he is simply a fool. The best Memphis could hope to do is crack the top 10.

#17 grizzdafuture

grizzdafuture

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:42 PM

this whole 3yr plan is really start to ***** me off......sounds to me as if its just a saying to keep us grizz fans in hope of one day havin a title contending team.....but really when will Heisley even start to make deals more beneficial than draft picks. The only true NBA starter comin out is Griffin at this point....yes Curry is good but for awhile he will be coming off the bench....lets just say we do get Griffin, we still need a) a veteran point gaurd and let lowry and/conley come off the bench or cool.gif role players other than ross buckner jaric(Arthur and Hak should be ok) this is how i see it

1. Build the team around OJ Rudy and Marc

2. Moves - Conley/Lowry and Ross for JR Smith, if possible do a Darko for G.Wallace trade as mentioned on a other trade talk post, sign Boozer this offseason for a max deal and sign a veteran or role playing point guard(steve blake type) and draft Griffin/Curry and by 2010 we should be able to pick or trade for one of those stars whose contracts are up(maybe this is asking too much but it really would set us up as a top team in the west seeing as the west is on a decline

3. Coaching - Bill Laimbeer or Avery Johnson

4. Being a cheap owner? judging by the moves I would try to make, NO!!!!

Just my little dream team:

Veteran PG/Curry?/LowryorConley
Mayo/JR Smith
Gay/G.Wallace
Boozer/Griffin?/Hak/Arthur
Gasol/Haddadi

#18 Uncle Sweetness

Uncle Sweetness

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (BnaBreaker @ Dec 20 2008, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (smit-tay griz @ Dec 20 2008, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (BnaBreaker @ Dec 20 2008, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh yeah, you're right. Well, so much for that plan.

Hands down the best exchange I've read on this board in the past few days.

#19 The REF

The REF

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE (OJ The Juice Maker @ Dec 20 2008, 02:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. OJ, and Rudy

2. I would try to pursade GM Steve Kerr to take on a future PG in Mike Conley, a young stud in Marc Gasol and Darko's nice contract for a BIG for Amare Stoudemire. See below for more details. The trade actually works.

Phoenix gets a replacement for Steve Nash and Conley can come in and learn by playing behind him. Marc gives you another big to go along with Robin Lopez to replace Shaq in a year or two. Darko will come off the books by then to give Phoenix some salary cap relief.

http://games.espn.go...d...&cash=21:29

3. I would hire Kurt Rambis, Eddie Jordan, or Rudy Tomjanovich to start with (many more available)

4. Like someone mention above you can't not be a cheap owner. You get what you pay far? How long do you think a $500 dollar car will last year?

You have to spend big money first to show the city, fans, and most importantly the players you are serious about winning. I wonder why Boston, the Lakers and other teams win? It comes down to your owner spending big cheese on the franchise and not food?

Heisley is # 10 on the list of top NBA earnings. Wonder why his pockets are always empty?

#20 The REF

The REF

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE (JenkzUM @ Dec 20 2008, 04:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW, once you are a perennial contender, you probally will never have to worry about money again. I don't see the advantages of holding back and taking it slow. I would dive in headfirst.

Very well put.