#1 GogrizzGo

GogrizzGo

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:05 PM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3777170

If you haven't heard yet, as expected Carlos Boozer has decided to opt out of his final year with the Utah Jazz and will test the free agent waters. Now here comes the bad news. With the emergence of Paul Millsap as a extremely efficient and productive pf who plays exactly like Boozer and averages very similar statistics (maybe minus a few points from his scoring average) it seems as though Utah can easily accept to let Boozer go and then keep a younger, less injury prone version of Boozer at a fraction of the cost.

So there goes Millsap who was my favorite for free agency because of his age and ability and now for Boozer as free agent... Let's all be realistic, I am a die hard grizzlies fan but I can realistically say that I don't see us even comparing to the bigger market teams that will be actually contending for a championship who can offer Booze the type of money that he wants.

Sorry to be the debbie downer but it is what it is.

#2 BealeSt.BlueBleeder

BealeSt.BlueBleeder

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (GogrizzGo @ Dec 18 2008, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you haven't heard yet, as expected Carlos Boozer has decided to opt out of his final year with the Utah Jazz and will test the free agent waters. Now here comes the bad news. With the emergence of Paul Millsap as a extremely efficient and productive pf who plays exactly like Boozer and averages very similar statistics (maybe minus a few points from his scoring average) it seems as though Utah can easily accept to let Boozer go and then keep a younger, less injury prone version of Boozer at a fraction of the cost.

So there goes Millsap who was my favorite for free agency because of his age and ability and now for Boozer as free agent... Let's all be realistic, I am a die hard grizzlies fan but I can realistically say that I don't see us even comparing to the bigger market teams that will be actually contending for a championship who can offer Booze the type of money that he wants.

Not a debbie downer at all. Just facing reality when it comes to free agency!

#3 GrizzledGrizzFan

GrizzledGrizzFan

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:22 PM

"it seems as though Utah can easily accept to let Boozer go and then keep a younger, less injury prone version of Boozer at a fraction of the cost."

So make Millsap a big money offer. Sure, Utah's committed to keeping him on the cheap, but with AK47's contract going nowhere, Okur's money and Williams about to go to MaxiLand®, will Utah pay premium dollars for him? Really not all that difficult. No reason to let Utah keep him at a bargain price. Plus, if you lose out on Millsap you could still make a run at Boozer.

#4 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (GogrizzGo @ Dec 18 2008, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's debbie downer? Means we won't have to compete with Utah for Boozer's services.

No way Utah lets Milsap walk. Can't fault them for being smart. Boozer is a heckuva consolation prize.

Now if you would have said that Boozer's on record as saying he won't play for us, that's a downer. As it is, he left LeBron James' side for Utah, perhaps the only hometown despised by the players more than Memphis for its lack of things to do. I'd say that's a good sign he'd come here if we offered him right.

While it may be an embarrassment of riches for Utah, it also means if you push them high on the first signing between Milsap, Okur, and Boozer, then you tighten their cap and still get a player you want.

#5 Draft Someone Good

Draft Someone Good

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (The Juice Factor @ Dec 18 2008, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's debbie downer? Means we won't have to compete with Utah for Boozer's services.

No way Utah lets Milsap walk. Can't fault them for being smart. Boozer is a heckuva consolation prize.

Now if you would have said that Boozer's on record as saying he won't play for us, that's a downer. As it is, he left LeBron James' side for Utah, perhaps the only hometown despised by the players more than Memphis for its lack of things to do. I'd say that's a good sign he'd come here if we offered him right.

While it may be an embarrassment of riches for Utah, it also means if you push them high on the first signing between Milsap, Okur, and Boozer, then you tighten their cap and still get a player you want.

Oklahoma City?

#6 Back2Grizzness

Back2Grizzness

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (Draft Someone Good @ Dec 18 2008, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oklahoma City?

Sacremento

#7 Iggy

Iggy

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (Lottoluvngrizz @ Dec 18 2008, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sacremento

Indianapolis
Milwaukee
Charlotte
Minneapolis for 9 months of the year

#8 Back2Grizzness

Back2Grizzness

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (Iggy @ Dec 18 2008, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Indianapolis
Milwaukee
Charlotte

I'd say the only city listed so far that might beat out Memphis as far as things to do is Salt Lake...skiing, hiking, rock climbing, beautiful city with lots of money living there...just depends on what you want. Milwaukee is a definite loss, minne is nice but FRIDGED.

#9 Iggy

Iggy

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (GogrizzGo @ Dec 18 2008, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What "bigger market teams that will be actually contending for a championship who can offer Booze the type of money that he wants" are you thinking of? Griz are in a better position financially than every team other than OKC to land a big time FA in 2009.

#10 Latilleon

Latilleon

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (The Juice Factor @ Dec 18 2008, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
perhaps the only hometown despised by the players more than Memphis for its lack of things to do. I'd say that's a good sign he'd come here if we offered him right.

Are you kidding me?

Where are you hanging?

I'm in Indianapolis all the time, and while they have us on shopping, we've got them beat big time on nightlife.

Memphis isn't have bad for young guys looking for something to get into.

#11 Allen

Allen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,911 posts
  • Location:The City Where I live in and the City Where im from

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:36 PM

I agree. Boozer would probably only sign with a contender in a big market town. Kinda like he did when he left Lebron and signed with the 42-40 Utah Jazz in 04.

#12 BnaBreaker

BnaBreaker

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,881 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:17 PM

Wow. Memphis, a boring town? Yet another shocking glance into the average Memphian's opinion of their own city.

#13 HPTMatt

HPTMatt

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (Allen @ Dec 18 2008, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree. Boozer would probably only sign with a contender in a big market town. Kinda like he did when he left Lebron and signed with the 42-40 Utah Jazz in 04.

absolute post of the day smile.gif

And sure, he lives in Miami...but are they closer to being a championship contender than we are? Sure, they have a proven transcendent player....and are an absolute one-man team. I like Haslem's game a lot, but he's not a mega talent by any means. Beasley is very good...but has proven not much thus far, even when the fact that he's fresh into the NBA is taken into consideration.

#14 LOULOU

LOULOU

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Interests:God, my Wife,Family,School,Grizzlies,Nike Sneakers,Sportcenter!

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:47 PM

A real Grizz fan huh? dry.gif

#15 Grizz Glory

Grizz Glory

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:58 PM

I think Miami should be on that list. If they trade Marion before the deadline or just let him walk, they will have the money to sign Boozer.

#16 BealeSt.BlueBleeder

BealeSt.BlueBleeder

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE (BnaBreaker @ Dec 18 2008, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow. Memphis, a boring town? Yet another shocking glance into the average Memphian's opinion of their own city.

Compared to every other major city in the south(Atlanta,Miami,Dallas,Houston,Orlando.....) Memphis is DEFINITELY a boring town!

#17 Iggy

Iggy

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (Grizz Glory @ Dec 18 2008, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Miami should be on that list. If they trade Marion before the deadline or just let him walk, they will have the money to sign Boozer.

True, but the Griz will still have a lot more money under the cap than the Heat. Plus, the Heat need to resign Wade in 2010, which means if the Griz and Heat get into a bidding war over Boozer, the Griz should be able to win it, so long as Heisley is willing to spend.

#18 BealeSt.BlueBleeder

BealeSt.BlueBleeder

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (Iggy @ Dec 18 2008, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Indianapolis
Milwaukee
Charlotte

I've been to charlotte a few times,and I can say it's a little better than memphis. The city is growing by the day it seems like. The year before last it was the number one city in the country in terms of people relocating there. I believe the number was like 86,000 new residents over a five year span.

#19 BnaBreaker

BnaBreaker

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,881 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (BealeSt.BlueBleeder @ Dec 18 2008, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Compared to every other major city in the south(Atlanta,Miami,Dallas,Houston,Orlando.....) Memphis is DEFINITELY a boring town!

I respectfully disagree. I obviously only speak for myself, but as a non-southerner, give me Memphis over any of those plastic, sterile, chain-dominated, disneyfied cities any day of the week. Memphis has SOUL baby!!

But anyway, um, yes, Carlos Boozer... laugh.gif

#20 Zack

Zack

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,064 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:37 PM

yes, I think boozer opting out (AND not re-signing with Utah) hurts our chances of signing milsap and not getting the contract matched....