30 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,330 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:39 PM

As I see it now the grizzlies are a consistent low post threat away from being unstoppable. I know that everybody has fantasies about drafting Blake Griffin, but unless we get really lucky (not a grizzlies strength btw) that isn't going to happen. Maybe milsap is the guy we need. We definatly aren't getting boozer, so who else is out there?

#2 david sparks

david sparks

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:53 PM

with milsap being younger i dont see it being any more likely that we'll get him over boozer. i think either would be fine and we should be able to get at least one i think.
really we just need a solid PF and more time.

Rudy and Mayo averaging 40+ a together a night, add 12/5 from a pf and 10/8 or something from gasol and you're right.

put that in the cooker and pretty soon we should be a force.

darko isnt gonna stick around so we'll need to figure out how what to do about the space he'll leave behind,

and my understanding is hak wont be a griz next year. so those are 2 moderately big issues to address soon considering its going to take a while for arthur to come around if he ever does. im not sure he should be starting, i think it might be too much pressure for him and Hak statistically being one of our most effective players should be getting more minutes.

a beast of a PF and we'll be in good position for sure next to gasol

#3 Iggy

Iggy

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (Kevin B Moses @ Dec 17 2008, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As I see it now the grizzlies are a consistent low post threat away from being unstoppable. I know that everybody has fantasies about drafting Blake Griffin, but unless we get really lucky (not a grizzlies strength btw) that isn't going to happen. Maybe milsap is the guy we need. We definatly aren't getting boozer, so who else is out there?

Why is getting Boozer impossible? We have more cap space than anybody other than OKC.

Milsap is not a gimmie, especially if Utah can't resign Boozer.

Also, I think the Griz need to add a SF/SG to come off the bench or to fill in for Rudy or Mayo when they are out. Someone like Ariza or Barnes come to mind. Or maybe somebody from the draft.

#4 Allen

Allen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,911 posts
  • Location:The City Where I live in and the City Where im from

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:17 PM

Maybe Utah will decide to save money by starting Milsap and letting Boozer Walk.

#5 david sparks

david sparks

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:27 PM

i think we need a veteran 3 point threat that can defend better than miller off the bench behind Rudy, ross is great behind mayo at 2. keep him.

so the way i see it, keep hak or arthur off the bench figure out what to do off the bench behind gasol when darkos gone, then all we really need is a star quality PF and a solid vet SF and we're doing pretty good.

id entertain the idea of trading something for Curry in hopes hes the next regie miller at point, i worry about getting another young pg to run the team at this point though.

depends on if our 2nd SF or Starting PF can shoot the 3

#6 Baseline Coach

Baseline Coach

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Location:Up the big hill from the lake, around the corner from old grain silo, up the street from the Gardens, across from to the Chateau, next to the Overton's old tracks

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:56 PM

Mayo/Rudy is a combo from a dream. These 2 have the potential to bring Memphis to the forefront on NBA bBall and will do it. Keep watching.

Greatest prediction on this board: Chris Wallace/O.J. Mayo/Rudy Gay 2gether for 10 yrs a ring comes to Memphis and repeating West Conf Champs.

2 billion to Michael Heisley

#7 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (Allen @ Dec 17 2008, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe Utah will decide to save money by starting Milsap and letting Boozer Walk.

That's what I think is going to happen.

Geez, statistically, Milsap is one of the top 10 performers in the league right now. Why are you going to pay Boozer a ton of money when you can get the same thing for less? Milsap will get paid, but not at the level Boozer will command.

If Milsap is the real deal, Utah will not compete seriously for Boozer's skills. They may throw a half-hearted offer at him, figuring it's just a bonus if he does it.

Chris Wallace should be knocking at Carlos Boozer's door at 12:01 am July 1st.

#8 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:13 PM

As to the Mayo/Rudy combo, I was admittedly alarmed recently by their flare-up, which could have turned into all out war in an uncontrolled situation.

But our recent win streak and Ivy seemingly growing a little has apparently put that in the background.

Prior to that, I've felt all along that the two of them together had a chance to form a very special tandem. And I think working hard to keep Gay will help Mayo decide it's worth it for him to stick around, too.

#9 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,330 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE (The Juice Factor @ Dec 17 2008, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's what I think is going to happen.

Geez, statistically, Milsap is one of the top 10 performers in the league right now. Why are you going to pay Boozer a ton of money when you can get the same thing for less? Milsap will get paid, but not at the level Boozer will command.

If Milsap is the real deal, Utah will not compete seriously for Boozer's skills. They may throw a half-hearted offer at him, figuring it's just a bonus if he does it.

Chris Wallace should be knocking at Carlos Boozer's door at 12:01 am July 1st.

I don't think boozer is an option because the memphis fan base isn't strong enough to put helisley in that kind of debt.

#10 Uncle Sweetness

Uncle Sweetness

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (Kevin B Moses @ Dec 17 2008, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think boozer is an option because the memphis fan base isn't strong enough to put helisley in that kind of debt.

I agree with a lot of thoughts on this thread, although I think Boozer is a little high risk injury wise for the amount of money he will want. Could be a great gamble though.

However the statement blaming the fans for Heisley not being able to spend on a free agent has to be just a bit of sarcasm on your end, right?

#11 david sparks

david sparks

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:14 PM

i was starting to get a little nervous about some kinda of power struggle/attention/jealousy issues but that blow up seemed to have been beneficial.
they all seem to have realized team ball is the only way to go.
rudy and mayo seemed to have over come that spat, and probably would still feel some tension if they hadnt gotten it out of the way. since then theyve both seemed to have an understanding that if they both perform well this team could be unstoppable instead of having mini competitions within the team itself and them 2.

even though ive been saying hes got to go, i have to give Ivy some credit but i think the vets buckner/ross/walker/jaric have some serious influence here and have chilled them both out and made them realize they need to appreciate each other.

theyre both creating for the team more the last games ive seen.

rudy seems to be trying to make plays at least a little more thank god and OJ seems to have realized the important part is that rudy made those 2 free throws on the no pass and that team points are what matter.

on court during any dead balls rudy and oj seem to be talking more, smiling more and giving eachother props much more. i think that has been a pretty serious contribution to the 4 game win streak. they have to coexist for this team to win and they both have to equally become stars for this team to win in the big picture.

all good signs.

#12 Baseline Coach

Baseline Coach

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Location:Up the big hill from the lake, around the corner from old grain silo, up the street from the Gardens, across from to the Chateau, next to the Overton's old tracks

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (david sparks @ Dec 17 2008, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
on court during any dead balls rudy and oj seem to be talking more, smiling more and giving eachother props much more. i think that has been a pretty serious contribution to the 4 game win streak. they have to coexist for this team to win and they both have to equally become stars for this team to win in the big picture.

I noticed that too. OJ & Rudy calling for floor team huddles at mid court after tv timeouts.. that has never happened

#13 MemphisX

MemphisX

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,652 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:20 PM

I think once we get a post scorer that Mayo will become less of a scorer.

Here is my top 5:

1. Amare
2. Boozer
3. Beasley
4. Millsap
5. Brandan Wright

I think all can be had by next season. Especially if we get the right draft pick.

#14 Jetfixer

Jetfixer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,861 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:12 PM

My five are
1. Amare
2. Boozer( Utah ain't dumping Milsap)
3. Blake Griffin
4. Greg Monroe
5. could we ever get Al Jefferson

someone give a rundown of all the best PF's from the NBA to college and Euro...............big, nasty, scoring, defensive guys......thats all I ask

#15 BHZMAFIA

BHZMAFIA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE (MemphisX @ Dec 17 2008, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think once we get a post scorer that Mayo will become less of a scorer.

Here is my top 5:

1. Amare
2. Boozer
3. Beasley
4. Millsap
5. Brandan Wright

I think all can be had by next season. Especially if we get the right draft pick.

What we would we have to give up in order to get Stoudemire, Beasley or Wright next season? I'm taking that we could attempt to sign Boozer or Millsap. I don't think Miami would give up on Beasley that quickly unless we gave them a top 3 pick and a big expiring like Walker if we kept him til' the end of the season?

#16 Kevin B Moses

Kevin B Moses

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,330 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (Uncle Sweetness @ Dec 17 2008, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with a lot of thoughts on this thread, although I think Boozer is a little high risk injury wise for the amount of money he will want. Could be a great gamble though.

However the statement blaming the fans for Heisley not being able to spend on a free agent has to be just a bit of sarcasm on your end, right?

Not really blaming fans, but I do think that heisley has begun to run this team like a business in that he expects to get a return on his investment. So for him to sign boozer to a 18 - 20 million dollar contract, he'd have to be sure that the fans will pack the area every night. I might be wrong but I don't believe heisley believes that the grizzlies have that kind of fan base yet. Now if the fans come out in droves by the end of the season, I think heisley will open his wallet, but not until then.

#17 LOULOU

LOULOU

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Interests:God, my Wife,Family,School,Grizzlies,Nike Sneakers,Sportcenter!

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:08 PM

They are the future together! Wow what a great 1,2 punch!

#18 Uncle Sweetness

Uncle Sweetness

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (Kevin B Moses @ Dec 17 2008, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not really blaming fans, but I do think that heisley has begun to run this team like a business in that he expects to get a return on his investment. So for him to sign boozer to a 18 - 20 million dollar contract, he'd have to be sure that the fans will pack the area every night. I might be wrong but I don't believe heisley believes that the grizzlies have that kind of fan base yet. Now if the fans come out in droves by the end of the season, I think heisley will open his wallet, but not until then.

Fair enough, but maybe the fans are looking for a committment to a serious contender on the floor. Or at least an owner that acts like he is serious about things. Offers to sell and salary dumps hasn't exactly helped his image. And I know a lot of things might have just been moves in trying to rebuild things, which I agree needed to be done. But this isn't an established franchise like the Lakers/Knicks/Celts etc. This is the new kid in town that half the people around here resent b/c of the arena, and even more people that probably aren't convinced the show will still be in town 10 years from now. Yeah, if they keep treating it that way, it probably won't be. But at the same time, he has to get some good PR going. And things seem to be in the beginning stages of that. Morale has seemed rather low for the past few years.
Not arguing with you, just saying he might need to look at both sides... if that is indeed his belief.

And for the record, I would rather chase Amare than Boozer.

#19 dgause

dgause

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:38 PM

Of course the combo of Rudy and Mayo will work. We just need one more piece to complete the saga. I'd like to see an athletic power forward who can score added because we are set at the center spot. Boozer? Hell no, South Beach is more appealing than Beale Street. Milsap? Utah will let Boozer go for his cheaper replacement. Amare? He's not going anywhere until Nash leaves but he'd be downright nasty wearing Beale Street Blue.

#20 GF#1

GF#1

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,066 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:09 PM

Kevin Moses...

You were ready to hang Rudy from the rafters two weeks ago and now you say that it "will" work.

Not calling you out or anything but jeez man you jump to conclusions too much. I respect your opinions and you have a great bit of knowledge about the game. You just get a little jumpy in your opinions and you flip-flop more than any poster I've seen on these boards in my 4 1/2 year tenure! wink.gif