23 replies to this topic

#1 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:09 PM

Nobody has yet to reference today's CA article (that I have seen), Griz coach Iavaroni 'is holding everybody accountable'. Since I've probably been the most vitriolic regarding his need to go lately, I thought I'd give the guy some props, and hope that what I see is not a mirage.

I would agree that one of the reasons for the Grizz recent success may be related to Ivy's coaching. I certainly believe he's doing a better job of managing personnel during the game. I don't know that I think he's done a better job coaching the offense, but there has to be a reason why they are at least looking better on that side of the ball.

But what I would say is this: I think that Ivy has changed his style somewhat in light of the fact that now 1/5th of the league's coaches have already been fired this season. He's finally becoming somewhat of a disciplinarian, and that along with our offensive ineptitude have been the 2 reasons I thought a 1st time head coach shouldn't be here. But the idea that he is, as the article says, "holding people accountable" tells me maybe he's turning into the kind of coach this team needs.

I'm not ready to call of the dogs yet, but there do now in my opinion appear to be signs of life in him. A real positive is that he does have what few vets we have on this team solidly in his corner (the ones who play, anyway). If he can rally them, he can rally the team.

Some would argue he never lost the team. But until recently, I don't think he imposed his will on the team, and that's what a young team needs. Now it seems he is. I hope this is an indication that he is growing into this job, because this is a very, very important time in this franchise's life.

#2 GrizzCR

GrizzCR

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:22 PM

Just read that article. It's gotta be a tough challenge for two small role players with no major career successes (Buckner & Ross) to try to guide and critique Rudy and OJ who are at least approaching "star status". It makes me really think about how much better we could be with just one legit successful vet in here to play that role. Man, wouldn't an all-star power forward be just the right fit...

Oh, wait... aren't we in the process of waiving one of those??? I wonder if Toine has provided some valuable leadership to Rudy and OJ. I guess that's probably hard to do from sitting on the end of the bench in a suit most of our games.

#3 Q

Q

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:04 AM

QUOTE (GrizzCR @ Dec 17 2008, 06:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just read that article. It's gotta be a tough challenge for two small role players with no major career successes (Buckner & Ross) to try to guide and critique Rudy and OJ who are at least approaching "star status". It makes me really think about how much better we could be with just one legit successful vet in here to play that role. Man, wouldn't an all-star power forward be just the right fit...

Oh, wait... aren't we in the process of waiving one of those??? I wonder if Toine has provided some valuable leadership to Rudy and OJ. I guess that's probably hard to do from sitting on the end of the bench in a suit most of our games.

Toine can't even lead himself. No one hangs his head after a bad play or getting called out by a teammate or coach more than Toine (except for maybe Big Baby) and he makes the most boneheaded plays. I actually supported him during his Heat days because I felt like he was really being used as a scapegoat, but I still don't think he's of any value to the team that we have.

#4 fanboyslim

fanboyslim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,557 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:30 AM

I'm baffled about the last few games. You can't argue with the facts, the team is playing better and it looks better coached, but I just don't see how all of a sudden the same coach that went with Rudy Gay as C becomes a competent on- and off-court coach. I want to believe that somehow a light went on inside Ivy's head after the OKC debacle, but honestly, it's going to take more than a 4-1 run to make the last year and a quarter go away.

#5 Go Grizzlies

Go Grizzlies

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:26 AM

QUOTE (fanboyslim @ Dec 17 2008, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm baffled about the last few games. You can't argue with the facts, the team is playing better and it looks better coached, but I just don't see how all of a sudden the same coach that went with Rudy Gay as C becomes a competent on- and off-court coach. I want to believe that somehow a light went on inside Ivy's head after the OKC debacle, but honestly, it's going to take more than a 4-1 run to make the last year and a quarter go away.

I couldn't agree more......like last nights game against the Hornets, it seems to me that i have no idea what our offense is....it appears to be...make a couple of passes, and then let Gay or Mayo take a shot with the shot clock almost out of time.

#6 Uncle Sweetness

Uncle Sweetness

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE (Go Grizzlies @ Dec 17 2008, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I couldn't agree more......like last nights game against the Hornets, it seems to me that i have no idea what our offense is....it appears to be...make a couple of passes, and then let Gay or Mayo take a shot with the shot clock almost out of time.

You know, I've seen some signs of an offensive gameplan as of late, but last night I couldn't identify one at all.

#7 Back2Grizzness

Back2Grizzness

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (Uncle Sweetness @ Dec 17 2008, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know, I've seen some signs of an offensive gameplan as of late, but last night I couldn't identify one at all.

Last night was simply a product of youth. OJ couldn't handle the ball late in the 4th b/c of the pressure (defensive and situational). We played jerky and didn't execute. Coaches can't execute for the players. Plus, N.O. is better than we are and should have won the game. We were in a position to win it, but as young as we are, we will lose more of those type games than we win.

#8 Uncle Sweetness

Uncle Sweetness

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE (Lottoluvngrizz @ Dec 17 2008, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Last night was simply a product of youth. OJ couldn't handle the ball late in the 4th b/c of the pressure (defensive and situational). We played jerky and didn't execute. Coaches can't execute for the players. Plus, N.O. is better than we are and should have won the game. We were in a position to win it, but as young as we are, we will lose more of those type games than we win.

I'm not willing to say that our players stood around and didn't execute the offense because of youth. They have shown over the past games that they were getting into the flow of what Ivy wants from them. There were a lot of fouls early, the guys didn't adjust. Some of that is on our coaching as well.

#9 Eli

Eli

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:21 AM

We can't win every game from here on out. We will lose to very good teams like the Hornets. But we have to be grateful that we nearly won that game. I feel that late in the game, maybe the start of the fourth or late third qtr, Lowry was in the game too long. I like Lowry but he was getting a lot of open looks from behind the arc and he's not a very strong 3 point shooter. Conley has shown as of late that he's more comfortable from long range. If he had been in the game and he had gotten those open looks, he wouldn't have passed it off like Lowry kept doing and we may have scored more points. But as far as Ivy goes, he's doing ok right now. He's keeping this team focused and that's something we really need.

#10 Lord Gordon

Lord Gordon

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:29 AM

What did Ivy and Chris Paul get into it about?

#11 Commadoor Sixty-four

Commadoor Sixty-four

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,063 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:39 AM

Iavy has "Wrath?", it's probably just a case of the gout or some indigestion.

#12 Uncle Sweetness

Uncle Sweetness

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (Eli @ Dec 17 2008, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But as far as Ivy goes, he's doing ok right now. He's keeping this team focused and that's something we really need.

Yeah, he's doing ok. Much better than he was.

#13 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (Lottoluvngrizz @ Dec 17 2008, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And really, given our personnel, that's what we're looking for right now. Competitiveness. And it does appear that Ivy is beginning to put our team in a better position to succeed than he had been up to now. And I do think the OKC game was a wake up call, both to Ivy and to Wallace. Not that I think CW's on the hot seat, but you did notice the activity that followed that game.

The real test is going to be the next few games, and see how the team responds. One could say last night's game was just a spillover of the momentum from a 4 game win streak. We'll know more about whether or not the win streak was favorable scheduling or team development.

#14 Iggy

Iggy

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (Uncle Sweetness @ Dec 17 2008, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Griz had stretches of good offense -- e.g., the 2nd quarter -- and stretches of bad offense -- e.g., the second half of the 1st and most of the 3rd. Overall, the Griz shot well (48%) but not from tthree (4/16) and Mayo and Lowry combined for 0/9 from three.

Meanwhile, NO shot a lower percentage but much higher from three (10/20). Also, give credit to NO's defense. They made it difficult for the Griz's bigs and pgs. They also had 8 blks and 8 steals.

#15 Uncle Sweetness

Uncle Sweetness

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (Iggy @ Dec 17 2008, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Griz had stretches of good offense -- e.g., the 2nd quarter -- and stretches of bad offense -- e.g., the second half of the 1st and most of the 3rd. Overall, the Griz shot well (48%) but not from tthree (4/16) and Mayo and Lowry combined for 0/9 from three.

Meanwhile, NO shot a lower percentage but much higher from three (10/20). Also, give credit to NO's defense. They made it difficult for the Griz's bigs and pgs. They also had 8 blks and 8 steals.

I'm not saying they didn't have decent numbers. I said there wasn't an obvious gameplan. There was a lot of standing around last night, alot of Rudy and Mayo and Lowry jacking up shots. Great, they made a lot of them, but the ball movement and execution in the previous games was much more visible than what I witness last night.

And yeah they did good on our bigs, but foul trouble forced Arthur to play more than what he should have. Watching the game last night, it was plain to see he was completely out of place.

#16 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:05 PM

In terms of last night, we just struggled at the 4, period. Neither Milicic nor Arthur ever got into what I would call a settled rhythm.

With our cap number, I expect Carlos Boozer will be very high on our acquisition list this offseason.

#17 Eli

Eli

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:23 PM

Boozer would be nice to have but its hard to imagine the Grizzlies going after a big time free agent.

#18 Baseline Coach

Baseline Coach

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Location:Up the big hill from the lake, around the corner from old grain silo, up the street from the Gardens, across from to the Chateau, next to the Overton's old tracks

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:14 PM

I noted previously we need accountablity/assistance from the vet players 4 us to go to the next level.

QUOTE (ShawnSr @ Dec 3 2008, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
MAKE IT NOT BE HARD!!

The elder players have a ring-side seat watching the players, coaches, practices, gamedays, etc & they may know a thing or two about what's happening. They may have change of heart to give Iavaroni some respect as the head coach and gain some as veteran by helping the younger players:

Why sit on all that experience? Why not help a bunch of sophomores and rookies? He is the only person in the locker room with NCAA ring and NBA ring.

Oh well but I am glad 2C the vets Ross and Buckner are standing up to help school our young players. I knew it would be necessary for their full development as a contending team.
Veterans Ross and Greg Buckner admit they'd seen enough and accepted the responsibility to help Iavaroni steer the youngsters "A coach can only do so much, especially with a young team," Buckner said. "It's up to me, Quinton and the older guys to keep these young guys accountable. Even though we're not playing a lot of minutes we still have to show them what's best for the team. We're putting the pressure on Rudy and O.J."

These men sound like they want to help advance this team. That is very mature and professional of them. I applaud them. "Clappity Clappity clap clap " If we go far they take the ride too. A Walker has a ring n college & NBA. So why press for more... huh Toine? He could be the Norman Nixon or Jamal Wilkes' that Magic had for O.J. The Moses Malone that Barkely had. The Wilt Chamberlain that Kareem had. Oh well... we be hearig about him too on ESPN.

#19 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (Eli @ Dec 17 2008, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Boozer would be nice to have but its hard to imagine the Grizzlies going after a big time free agent.

If they don't they will kill what little momentum they can build this offseason.

A big signing or big trade using some of the cap room is the only way that fans will start to think Heisley has anything other than penny-pinching in mind for this franchise.

#20 Eli

Eli

Starter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:54 AM

I would like to see a big move and I think we will make moves. Heisley has shown that he will make moves. The thing is, it seems that every big move we make involves either young unproven rookies or second tier veterans. I don't know if I'm making sense, but I would just love to see us sign a guy that we KNOW will come in and produce and make us a heck of a lot better.