#21 GrizzledGrizzFan

GrizzledGrizzFan

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (Spartacus @ Dec 15 2008, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You think that all CAPS point from Tillery might have been directed at someone in particular? wink.gif

I shot him a response tonight smile.gif Ron gets his feathers ruffled and jumps on his high horse waaaaaaay too easily.

#22 kfilament

kfilament

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:01 PM

this is stupid...

who knows if we will be offered anything before feb. If we pay him 95% of his salary its the first bone head move by CW. Toine doeesnt deserve to be bought out b/c he didnt pull a starbury, it sets a dangerous precident. its so stupid....

#23 kfilament

kfilament

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:33 AM

so RON RON has AGAIN (for the what, 5th time now) has in some form (radio, blog, CA) stated that the walker buyout is HAPPENING TODAY!!!!!! i guess he figures if he keeps reporting that it is close to happenign then one time he will actually be right...I wonder what the hold up is?? Gotta be a money thing, hopefully we are not paying him more than 50%.

#24 chipc3

chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,858 posts
  • Interests:GRIZZLIES, golf, soccer, women

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (kfilament @ Dec 18 2008, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so RON RON has AGAIN (for the what, 5th time now) has in some form (radio, blog, CA) stated that the walker buyout is HAPPENING TODAY!!!!!! i guess he figures if he keeps reporting that it is close to happenign then one time he will actually be right...I wonder what the hold up is?? Gotta be a money thing, hopefully we are not paying him more than 50%.

After talking to Chris Wallace I can tell you that Ron is correct. The hold up involves the negotiations. Walker doesn't want to leave a single dollar on the table by taking this buyout but he isn't negotiating with Chris Wallace. He is negotiation with Stan Meadows, Michael Heisley's attorney. Meadows never allows Heisley to pay one penny more than he needs to. It's a classic battle of wills and I don't expect either side to make it easy on the other side.

You can find out more by reading our blog titled 'Explaining Walker and Miles.'

#25 GrizzledGrizzFan

GrizzledGrizzFan

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:54 AM

Walker can rot on the bench then. He should have to give something to get his freedom. The whole "won't leave a dollar on the table" argument is laughable. He can make up whatever reduction is negotiated when he signs with another team. That is, unless he can't cut it with another team...

#26 chipc3

chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,858 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (GrizzledGrizzFan @ Dec 18 2008, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Walker can rot on the bench then. He should have to give something to get his freedom. The whole "won't leave a dollar on the table" argument is laughable. He can make up whatever reduction is negotiated when he signs with another team. That is, unless he can't cut it with another team...

I think I must have written that poorly. Walker isn't looking to be bought out for 100% of his salary. He wants to make sure the buyout PLUS the new contract won't leave him short of what he would make without the buyout. The issue for me in that regard (and I am sure Meadows is making a similiar arguement for Heisley) is that while Walker likely won't ever play for the Grizzlies and likely won't be used in a trade that doesn't mean he doesn't bring value that would be lost if Walker gets bought out. What if Arthur, Milicic and Warrick get hurt? What if a deal suddenly materialized where Walker's contract was needed? Stranger things have happened

If Walker is serious about wanting to play somewhere then he has to give up some potential earning power to do so and Meadows is going to try and slice that down to as low a point as possible. Walker will likely argue that he shouldn't give up more than the contract Miles signed since this won't affect the Grizzlies payroll position.

Agents are notorious for fighting for their clients and Meadows is legendary for fighting for Heisley. I bet the discussions are rather fascinating in that regard.

#27 Commadoor Sixty-four

Commadoor Sixty-four

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,063 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:14 AM

Meadows just needs to throw some pipin' hot fresh Krispy Kreme donuts in the room....

The negotiations would end real quick.

#28 Uncle Sweetness

Uncle Sweetness

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (Commadoor Sixty-four @ Dec 18 2008, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Meadows just needs to throw some pipin' hot fresh Krispy Kreme donuts in the room....

hahahaha

#29 kfilament

kfilament

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:24 AM

like that new southwest airlines commercial about being charged for changing flights. Walker woudl be like "10% of original payout, sure, sounds good, you got any bearclaws??? nom nom nom"

#30 GrizzledGrizzFan

GrizzledGrizzFan

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:23 AM

LMAO Commadoor.

Gotcha chip - thanks for the clarification.

#31 GrizzledGrizzFan

GrizzledGrizzFan

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:02 PM

Buyout is now being reported as finalized.

So long - Shimmy, we hardly knew ya!

#32 Notorious O.D.K.

Notorious O.D.K.

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,400 posts
  • Interests:Grizzlies, Redskins, Tigers and Vols!!!!!!!

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:29 PM

Grizzlies' waive Antoine Walker

#33 NancyW

NancyW

1st Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • Interests:Sports, mainly NBA and MLB but I sometimes watch NFL, sports related travel, animals, reading murder mysteries such as James Patterson novels, and listening to music.

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:57 PM

No surprise at all here, but I wish Antoine the best of luck.

#34 ranstay

ranstay

2nd Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:37 PM

Should I post this on my Paul Pierce blog? laugh.gif laugh.gif

#35 chipc3

chipc3

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,858 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:33 AM

Do you think the Krispy Kreme's idea actually helped negotiations? huh.gif

#36 The Truth is OUT

The Truth is OUT

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,033 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (chipc3 @ Dec 18 2008, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I must have written that poorly. Walker isn't looking to be bought out for 100% of his salary. He wants to make sure the buyout PLUS the new contract won't leave him short of what he would make without the buyout. The issue for me in that regard (and I am sure Meadows is making a similiar arguement for Heisley) is that while Walker likely won't ever play for the Grizzlies and likely won't be used in a trade that doesn't mean he doesn't bring value that would be lost if Walker gets bought out. What if Arthur, Milicic and Warrick get hurt? What if a deal suddenly materialized where Walker's contract was needed? Stranger things have happened

If Walker is serious about wanting to play somewhere then he has to give up some potential earning power to do so and Meadows is going to try and slice that down to as low a point as possible. Walker will likely argue that he shouldn't give up more than the contract Miles signed since this won't affect the Grizzlies payroll position.

Agents are notorious for fighting for their clients and Meadows is legendary for fighting for Heisley. I bet the discussions are rather fascinating in that regard.

Well, looks like Walker's team won these negotiations. He got 95 percent of his salary. So that saved the Grizz what, less than half a million? Is half a million that important to this team?

This has got to be clearing some space for an imminent deal that nobody knows about yet, because every way I look at this, Heisley is being just plain stupid to make this move now. Do we get some kinda mega-franchise cash bonus for carrying only 13 on our roster? Somebody please explain this to me.

#37 Spartacus

Spartacus

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,621 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (The Juice Factor @ Dec 19 2008, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, looks like Walker's team won these negotiations. He got 95 percent of his salary. So that saved the Grizz what, less than half a million? Is half a million that important to this team?

This has got to be clearing some space for an imminent deal that nobody knows about yet, because every way I look at this, Heisley is being just plain stupid to make this move now. Do we get some kinda mega-franchise cash bonus for carrying only 13 on our roster? Somebody please explain this to me.

Half a million is what Darius Miles will cost the team if he sticks around for the full season. Not so coincidentally, it is also what Walker will likely sign for with another team, meaning that he doesn't lose any money in the deal.

#38 LiveFreeorDie

LiveFreeorDie

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (The Juice Factor @ Dec 19 2008, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wallace tried to run Antoine out of town by benching him, then benching him in a uniform. When he realized Walker was going to act like a professional no matter what he bought him out. He wanted to make Antoine the bad guy and it didn't work. Excpot in some small minded people.

#39 kfilament

kfilament

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:08 PM

laugh.gif
QUOTE (LiveFreeorDie @ Dec 19 2008, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wallace tried to run Antoine out of town by benching him, then benching him in a uniform. When he realized Walker was going to act like a professional no matter what he bought him out. He wanted to make Antoine the bad guy and it didn't work. Excpot in some small minded people.

i cant believe antoine signed up for the boards, welcome man, always great to have a pro on the boards!!

#40 LiveFreeorDie

LiveFreeorDie

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (kfilament @ Dec 19 2008, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif

i cant believe antoine signed up for the boards, welcome man, always great to have a pro on the boards!!

Grow up. I am here to discuss basketball not play the games of some of you children. There are some real Grizzlie fans left in this world you know.,