Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CashConsiderationsFan

Grizzlies Vocabulary

257 posts in this topic

I actually had noted that one to add in the list. It's a good one.

Trying to decide whether to delete a couple on the list (like Thabust) due to the negativity.

I thought about 27 point lead, but I don't think that is one I want to remember every time I read the list. If it's becomes a term used out of context a lot that people should have the ability to look up, I might eventually add it, but I am not going to add it for now. Like I said, I like this list to be a) mostly positive and B) help fill in terms used for fans new to the grizzlies. I don't think the first thing a new grizzly fan would want to learn about was blowing a 27 point lead.

Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't it one of us that coined the term "Flop City"?

Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't it one of us that coined the term "Flop City"?

Might be very true. I know that we talked about LA flopping long before the media caught on. However, since it's not a term about the Grizzlies, I don't think it belongs in this glossary. Fans 3 years from now won't likely need to know what Flop City is. (At least I assume so, could be wrong.)

Edit: I did a reversal on this one and included it. Since it was involved with a playoff run and the term has stuck, I've added it to the glossary.

This last week, a lot of new terms have been thrown out there, and I thought it might be good to put together a dictionary of sorts. Most of the new terms are very positive making this more of a fun exercise. Some of the terms have recently been coined, and haven't caught on, while others have been tossed around for a while. I'm hoping some of it catches on at the Forum to be honest, resulting in chants to liven up the games.

3YP - Three Year Plan. A phrase coined by Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley during the press conference introducing new draftees O.J. Mayo and Darrell Arthur to inform the public his expected time frame to build a contender. The plan saw the team go from a 20 win team before the plan to a playoff team in year 3.

5-Man Rotation - Substitution pattern used by Hubie Brown where groups were substituted 5-at-a-time. Also known as 10 man game.

Anti-Pau - Synonym for "not soft". Often used when describing current Grizzlies post players.

Agent 1-0 - Gilbert Arenas. Refers to his past days as Agent Zero, but with the Grizzlies his number is now 10.

Barone Ball - Style of play under coach Tony Barone. The streetball-like play was characterized by a lack of set plays, shooting early in the shot clock, and a general disregard for defense. It resulted in high scoring games that many found highly entertaining, and others found frustrating.

Beale Street Bears - Memphis Grizzlies. Nickname for the team based on the Fedex forum's location next to Beale Street.

Believe - Grizzlies marketing campaign for the 2011 playoffs that caught on like wildfire. Uses many variations including "We Believe", "I Believe", and "Believe Memphis". (Still no word on whether there will be a "Miracle on Beale Street" slogan to go with it, based on the movie Miracle on 34th street which also used the "I believe" slogan.

(The) Big Mailbox - FedEx Forum. Coined by Charles Barkely in playoff analysis.

Big Mo - Maurice Speights

(The) Canswer - Allen Iverson. Variation on Iverson's nickname "The Answer", brought on by the selfish attitude and three ring circus he brought with his short stay in Memphis. Ironically, in a city known for it's work on curing cancer, removing the Canswer resulted in a very healthy Grizzlies team.

Cash considerations - A specified amount of money included with an unusable player to get the Grizzlies to use their cap space to take said player.

Crystal Ball - A reference used by Brevin Knight, one of the Grizzlies TV announcers, making predictions about the Grizzlies, usually something positive for the Grizzlies.

(The) Custodian - Brian Cardinal. Given for the way he "cleaned the floor" diving for loose balls.

(The) Dream - Hasheem Thabeet's self appointed nickname.

Eurothug - Reference to Marc Gasol, both for his often scruffy look (in his rookie season), and his tough as nails approach to the game. Although it might sound like a negative, it is usually used with affection by Grizzlies fans who love the toughness and effort he has brought to the grizzlies.

Fear the Bear-d - A team bonding gimmick used by the Grizzlies 2010-2011 team during their run to reach the playoffs. Players, coaches, and even staff stopped shaving until a playoff spot was clinched. Fortunately, the team made the playoffs, so none of the players had to look for a secondary option of trying out for mascott.

FedEx Fortress - See Fort FedEx

Flight 22 - Reference to Rudy Gay and his athletic ability when jumping for dunks.

Fort FedEx - The FedExForum. Nickname in honor of the Grizzlies new found home field advantage during the first half of the 09/10 season, with big wins over a number of top teams, and a very solid winning percentage. Unfortunately, the second half of that season didn't seen the same "protect the home court" play from the Grizzlies.

Gasol 2.0 - Younger, stronger, tougher

Gaycial - Posterized by Rudy Gay. (Variation on the term facial, which is a slam dunk in the face of the defender.)

Gelvelop - The belief that a young team will see improvement over time as they gel together.

Go Flop Yourself - Reference to Manu Ginobli during the 2011 playoffs referring to him doing ridiculous flops and having the refs buy it. "Go Flop Yourself" Ginobli Tshirts were seen at the Grizzlies first playoff victory. (See also: No Flopping Zone.)

(The) Grindhouse - Fed Ex Forum. Nickname for the forum going along with the "Grit, Grind, and Heart" mantra of the 2011 playoff season.

Grit, Grind, and Heart - Phrase used to describe the style of play of the 2011 Grizzlies. (Specifically stems from the play of Tony Allen, and the way his contageous play style seemed to rub off on the rest of the team.)

Grizzlam - Religon practiced by Grizzly fans.

Grizztory - Grizzly History. As in, "We made Grizztory with our 2011 playoff run from the 8th seed."

He wit' us - Phrase used by Tony Allen to get under the skin of opposing shooters. When someone misses several shots, if they shoot additional shots, he would shout "He wit' us" to let the shooter know he's helping the Grizzlies by shooting.

HH (Double H) - Hamed Haddadi

Juice - OJ Mayo. Nickname based on OJ.

(The) Junkyard Dog - Demarre Carroll. Nickname stemming from his scrappy high energy style of play.

Lightning in a Bottle - A phrase used by Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace to identify possible talent that might bring unexpected contributions to a roster.

Louis Bearakhann - The Grizz aka Grizzly mascot

MC Squared - Mike Conley Jr.

Meal Ticket - Nickname used by Grizzlies players for Pau Gasol during the 2006-2007 season. AKA The ticket.

MVZ - Most Valuable Zach? Most Valuable ZBo? Variation of the MVP chant, which will hopefully be ringing through Fed Ex Forum soon as a tribute to just how valuable Zach Randolph has been to the team and the city.

Nation of Grizzlam - The Grizzly fanbase. Practicers of Grizzlam.

No Flopping Zone - Common sign in the 2011 playoff series vs the Spurs due to ridiculous flopping that get calls for the spurs. (also see: "Go Flop Yourself.)

NOOOO, Not that Guy! - Reference to a now famous (at least among Grizzly fans) video of a fan going nuts when the ball was passed to Rudy Gay for a clutch shot to win the game. Rudy sunk the shot.

(The) Presense - Hasheem Thabeet. The origins of the nickname were claims that his mere "presense" would change the game defensively for the Grizzlies. The term soon took a life of it's own.

(The) Renaissance Man - Sam Young. Nickname given to him in college do to him playing Piano in hotel lobbies while travelling with the team.

RunGMC - Run Gay-Mayo-Conley. Originally coined in the 2008-2009 season, its a tribute to the fast break ability of the wings and guards on the Grizzlies. It's become even more appropriate in the 2009-2010, with the fast breaks becoming a larger part of the Grizzly offense.

Shady - Darrell Arthur. Nickname deriving from "Slim Shady," Darrell's nickname from High School.

Strotential - When a player has the ability to have a monster game followed by 50 games of ineptitude. (aka Coach Killer). Related to but not necessarily synonymous with: Incredible physical ability but low basketball IQ. The origin of the term comes from the vast potential never achieved by Stromile Swift.

Thabeast - Hasheem Thabeet. Term used by Thabeet fans and supporters referring to him being a beast of a shotblocker.

Thabust - Hasheem Thabeet. Derrogatory term for Thabeet based on many believing he will never live up to his high draft status.

Turtello ball - Nickname given to the basketball style of the Grizzlies under Mike Fratello, which involved slowing the game down and holding down scoring. Although it resulted in a trip to the playoffs and a lot of wins, it was generally seen as a less than exciting style of basketball.

You ain't writin' nothin' homeboy - A running joke with origins in Jason Williams using the quote while stealing a local reporter's pen after the Grizzlies were swept in the 2005 playoffs. The reporter had printed a negative quote from Williams during the playoff.

White Chocolate - Jason Williams. The nickname was started by a media relations assistant with when he played with the Kings.

Who's Your Haddadi? - Phrase that inspired underground T-shirts seen at the forum, based on events like Haddadi dunking on Shaq, and leveling and staring down LeBron during a pick.

ZBo - Zach Randolph. The nickname goes back to when Randolph was in junior high.

Zbound - Offensive tip in. Scored as a rebound and a basket, this form of offensive rebounding has quickly become his trademark in Memphis. The term was first used on Grizzlies TV broadcasts in late January, and is picking up more use there.

I've included a lot of updates from this tread. I'm trying to keep the list related to general Grizzlies termanology, and not forum specific terminology (for example, I'm not including anything referencing individual posters, posting terms, or posting habits.) Part of the test I use to myself before adding to the list, is whether Griz fans who don't frequent these forums, would still be able to understand the term either automatically, or at least with some explaination.

You forgot another quote from that fan in Toronto about Rudy Gay when he kept saying..."F***KING RUDY GAY, MAN... I had some Tee Shirt printed of this and sold 100 in front of Fed EX Forum.... I was ghetto rich.

The L. A. Floppers--- Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, and Reggie Evans in the play-offs.

and Mo Williams

and Randy Foye

Perasight noun - 1. When Robert Pera is actually seen in Memphis. 2. A new NBA owners vision for his teams future.

Perasale noun - 1. Formerly known as the "item of the day", as advertised during all Grizzlies home games. example: Todays Perasale is the O.J. Mayo jersey, now at half price.

Peranormal adj. - The regular day to day activity in the Memphis Grizzlies basketball operation. example: The Memphis Grizzlies are on a ten game win streak, which is peranormal.

Peragraph noun - A post game drawing or chart made by the owner of the Memphis Grizzlies and given to head coach Hollins after every game containing mathmatical equations that may lead to better player efficiency. It is often later found in the trash can.

Pera Era noun - Term referring to the current stewardship of the Memphis Grizzlies.

Peramount adj. - The most important thing on any given day within the Memphis Grizzlies organization.

Perable adj. - A good thing. The opposite of turrible.

Perasight noun - 1. When Robert Pera is actually seen in Memphis. 2. A new NBA owners vision for his teams future.

Perasale noun - 1. Formerly known as the "item of the day", as advertised during all Grizzlies home games. example: Todays Perasale is the O.J. Mayo jersey, now at half price.

Peranormal adj. - The regular day to day activity in the Memphis Grizzlies basketball operation. example: The Memphis Grizzlies are on a ten game win streak, which is peranormal.

Peragraph noun - A post game drawing or chart made by the owner of the Memphis Grizzlies and given to head coach Hollins after every game containing mathmatical equations that may lead to better player efficiency. It is often later found in the trash can.

Pera Era noun - Term referring to the current stewardship of the Memphis Grizzlies.

Peramount adj. - The most important thing on any given day within the Memphis Grizzlies organization.

Perable adj. - A good thing. The opposite of turrible.

How about Peramutual ( we are all in this together)

Don't know if somebody posted it but last night when Randolph was getting busy on the boards Pete and Brevin were referring to it as "Zachtivity".

Don't know if somebody posted it but last night when Randolph was getting busy on the boards Pete and Brevin were referring to it as "Zachtivity".

Added.

Didn't add clippers related stuff, since this is grizz vocab. I'll keep an eye on the pera stuff and see if any of it catches.

Pera-xysm: Celebrating that someone bought the team from Michael Heisley. Also, celebration this season if the team succeeds beyond expectations.

I don't know if anyone already says this but I like to call pondexter "Q-Pon" It's kind of catchy especially when he is hittin threes!

I don't know if anyone already says this but I like to call pondexter "Q-Pon" It's kind of catchy especially when he is hittin threes!

QPon has been his nickname since he was traded here last year but you're right. It is catchy.

Better add "Zoo Crew" from Teddy B.'s thread.

Already done (actually right before I saw you suggested it here.) When the team gives themselves nicknames, that is significant enough for instant adds. When the board is coining a nickname, I wait to see if it has some traction. (T-shirts showing up in the forums persuades me pretty quickly to add it to the list.)

Better add "Zoo Crew" from Teddy B.'s thread.

Might just be me but I do not like this one at all. Sounds stupid.

QPon has been his nickname since he was traded here last year but you're right. It is catchy.

I think something playing on the fact the Q-pon is said just like coupon might be in order.

Q-Pon, the do not discount man. or something to that effect.

Might just be me but I do not like this one at all. Sounds stupid.

The players came up with it, allegedly, so it's good enough for me.

I think something playing on the fact the Q-pon is said just like coupon might be in order.

Q-Pon, the do not discount man. or something to that effect.

Hahaha. I feel like we're gonna give everyone in okc a q-Pon to the grizz show! Go get em Q!

Is there a word for dumb bleacher report articles?

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1405466-5-changes-coach-lionel-hollins-and-memphis-grizzlies-must-make-asap

Hahaha. I feel like we're gonna give everyone in okc a q-Pon to the grizz show! Go get em Q!

Is there a word for dumb bleacher report articles?

http://m.bleacherrep...-must-make-asap

I don't have a word for that much fail. Out of his 5 items, I think one has any validity at all, and that item is being picky. (I want to see Grizz #1 on steals and forced turnovers.) I have my doubts he pays attention to the team based on the other items. Just looked at box scores and shot charts.