Sign in to follow this  
CashConsiderationsFan

Grizzlies Vocabulary

MemphisPhil    0

Gazebo = a pavilion structure, sometimes octagonal, in parks, gardens, and spacious public areas. also a assist basket from Gasol to Zebo or Zebo to Gasol.

MemphisPhil    0
NOOOOOO! Expletive, meaning any shot Demarre Carroll takes, five feet and beyond. [Alternate Meaning] Any pass to Hasheem Thabeet.
:lol:

There's also the

NOOOOO! YESSSSS!!! - Expletive, meaning any time Zach Randolph does a crossover move and takes and makes a jump shot from 20+ feet.

Magical Bag of Beans - noun, referring to the relative worth of one Pau Gasol, circa 2006-07. Used in frustration as in "I don't care if we trade him for a Magical Bag of Beans." [Alternate meaning] Marc Gasol, and Zbo.

Actually heard Gary on ESPN radio referring to this tonight, saying the beans grew into Marc and Zach.

Actually heard Gary on ESPN radio referring to this tonight, saying the beans grew into Marc and Zach.

They probably read our board. Chip made mention of this Magical Bag of Beans recently when he and MemphisX were arguing over god knows what!

Also, pete pranica mentioned something which was made famous on the boards the other night but I can't remember what it was. Anybody?

rockygriz    0
You ain't writin' nothin' homeboy - inability to write because White Chocolate took your pen :lol:

OMG...this is too funny...thanks for the belly laugh for that memory

Sunshine pump: A device the sunshine patrol runs to keep an adequate supply of optimism among the faithful. A #8 smiley face :lol: indicates a person capable of running the sunshine pump. :lol:

VW Grizz    0

I have always missed when Don Poir used to say "used a little Shake & Bake" I guess the definition would be a fake jerk move to throw off the defender???

Lordninja11    0

this is nice! BANWAGON FANS!!! fans that only support the team when they are winning and is there a name for the fans that come to the game repping the other teams like the lakers, celtics, spurs...ect

Only in the movies and in Memphis! - the most celebrated phrase of the late, great Don Poior.

Book it! (somebody is going to have to help me with that; I know that originated with some broadcaster).

Hater - the label any critic of a particular player achieves on the message boards

Fanboy - the label any supporter of a particular player achieves on the message boards

Pinkboy - the label sometimes given to a stater of the blatantly obvious on the message boards

Blue Grizz - the nickname given to the Grizzlies mascot when the uniform colors changed

Beale Street Blue - the name given to the primary shade of blue in the Grizzlies current uniform

3SB - short for "Three Shades of Blue", the most recognizable Grizzlies fan blog

Phoning it in - what Ron Tillery is sometimes accused of when writing articles that regurgitate what is already known

Ball don't lie - while not original to, phrase sometimes used by Lorenzen Wright to prove that a foul was unjustly called when the shooter misses

Gay Love - before the Mayo trade, what was tossed around the boards as a feared nickname for a potential Grizzlies duo

The Matador - negative nickname for Pau's defensive style during his Grizzlies days

Spanish Fly - nickname coined by WMC-TV5 newscaster Jarvis Greer celebrating Pau's offensive prowess

Elf - negative nicname for Mike Fratello with adjoining animation on Grizzlies message boards

The Cuban Model - a prequel to 3YP, describing Heisley's regard of good friend Marc Cuban's NBA philosophy that a team has to be willing to get really bad before it can get really good; that few teams get good from the middle of the pack.

Ferrari - nickname given to Mike Conley early in his NBA career

The Dream - nickname self-coined by Hasheem Thabeet before playing his first NBA game

Grizzlies luck - a phrase used by Grizzly fans most years on lottery night

Calm down, turbo! - a phrase sometimes used on Grizzlies message boards to indicate that one poster has taken an argument personally or too emotionally

What a fun thread!

Dukies- People that try to buy a NBA team despite not having enough money.

Or Dookies- the miserables who repeatedly crap on Heisley for anything he does.

As far as the original list, nice idea, but I must say I am not too big on that Memfrica stuff. It just doesn't sit well with me.

GTG    0

Grizz or Griz-Refering to the Memphis Grizzlies team as a whole and/or the mascot

This one should be pretty obvious :P

rockygriz    0
Only in the movies and in Memphis! - the most celebrated phrase of the late, great Don Poior.

Book it! (somebody is going to have to help me with that; I know that originated with some broadcaster).

Hater - the label any critic of a particular player achieves on the message boards

Fanboy - the label any supporter of a particular player achieves on the message boards

Pinkboy - the label sometimes given to a stater of the blatantly obvious on the message boards

Blue Grizz - the nickname given to the Grizzlies mascot when the uniform colors changed

Beale Street Blue - the name given to the primary shade of blue in the Grizzlies current uniform

3SB - short for "Three Shades of Blue", the most recognizable Grizzlies fan blog

Phoning it in - what Ron Tillery is sometimes accused of when writing articles that regurgitate what is already known

Ball don't lie - while not original to, phrase sometimes used by Lorenzen Wright to prove that a foul was unjustly called when the shooter misses

Gay Love - before the Mayo trade, what was tossed around the boards as a feared nickname for a potential Grizzlies duo

The Matador - negative nickname for Pau's defensive style during his Grizzlies days

Spanish Fly - nickname coined by WMC-TV5 newscaster Jarvis Greer celebrating Pau's offensive prowess

Elf - negative nicname for Mike Fratello with adjoining animation on Grizzlies message boards

The Cuban Model - a prequel to 3YP, describing Heisley's regard of good friend Marc Cuban's NBA philosophy that a team has to be willing to get really bad before it can get really good; that few teams get good from the middle of the pack.

The Dream - nickname self-coined by Hasheem Thabeet before playing his first NBA game

Calm down, turbo! - a phrase sometimes used on Grizzlies message boards to indicate that one poster has taken an argument personally or too emotionally

What a fun thread!

Suggestion:Book it Donno! (From Hawaii 5-0). When we are far enough ahead and time is short enough to light a victory cigar.

Suggestion:Book it Donno! (From Hawaii 5-0). When we are far enough ahead and time is short enough to light a victory cigar.

Was Donno related to Danny Williams, you know Danno? Kind of like Gomer and Goober Pyle I guess?

What a fun thread!

Book it was a Don Poier phrase too. Now used often by Pete Pranica

(The) Custodian - Brian Cardinal. Given for the way he "cleaned the floor" diving for loose balls.

I always called him the Albatros because the way his contract hindered the team from making any moves for more productive players. True, that there were other factors but that doesn't take away how I felt that he was a big stumbling block in terms of player acquisition...even in my own mind.

Or Dookies- the miserables who repeatedly crap on Heisley for anything he does.

As far as the original list, nice idea, but I must say I am not too big on that Memfrica stuff. It just doesn't sit well with me.

I was kind of mixed on that one too, and may remove it from the main list. I've also tried to stick to grizzlies terms, and avoid board specific terms as well. Most everything I've put in the grizzlies vocab list so far is equally useful on the board, at a game, in the newspaper, etc.

Turtello - name give to Mike Fratello for his proclivity to play a slow down offense that limited the number of possessions making it appear to the casual observer that the team was better defensively statistically than actually.

Turtello ball - the type of basketball schema employed to limit offensive possessions, eliminating any free flow of play, and general play that was so boring that 45+ win seasons weren't enough to inspire the contiued love of the fans.

Check for blood - an action where former Grizzlie Pau led the league (if it were an actual stat) that also epitomized the softness of the team.

Teddy Bears - perjorative statement used by opposing fanbases that symbolized the soft nature of the team.