Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GrizzledGrizzFan

Washington Bullets Redux?

Gilbert suspended indefinetly

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4802267

It was going to happen sooner or later - better for the league to come down with a giant hammer.

Washington will have a lot more capspace when that contract gets voided! ;)

It won't get voided. Similar incidents involving inappropriate behavior didn't, so I doubt this one will.

It won't get voided. Similar incidents involving inappropriate behavior didn't, so I doubt this one will.

Take a look from NBA.com

Stern added that when the legal investigation is over, Arenas faces "a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse" from the league. That would seem to indicate that the league is at least leaving open the possibility of terminating Arenas from the league. That would free the Wizards from the remainder of Arenas' $111 milliion contract, signed in 2008, which has four years remaining. And that would give Washington room under the salary cap next summer to pursue free agents from the celebrated class of 2010, which includes LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Joe Johnson, Amar'e Stoudemire and other top players.

Arenas career may be over.

NOTHING WILL HAPPEN TO EITHER PLAYER!

LOOK AT DELONTE WEST JUST A MONTH AGO WOULD BE IN JAIL IF HE WAS NOT AN NBA PLAYER> HE"D BE ANOTHER STATISTIC IN THE SLAMMER AND JUST ANOTHER SMEARED ****STAIN ON THE WALL. BUT HE KEEPS MAKING MILLIONS AS CHILDREN WATCH AND ASPIRE TO RUN NAKED AT 500MPH ON THE FREEWAY WITH NOTHING BUT TATS AND GUNS AND BAGS OF HEROIN IN THEIR ********

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4789650

LIKE MICHAEL VICK THEY WILL DONATE $100,000 to THE NRA AND BE RIGHT BACK ON THE FRONT OF ******* NBA DOT COM AND THE NEXT ADIDAS COMMERCIAL

This post completely forgets about Plaxico Burress.

Gilbert suspended indefinetly

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4802267

It was going to happen sooner or later - better for the league to come down with a giant hammer.

Washington will have a lot more capspace when that contract gets voided! ;)

I can't believe Stern's statement "his ongoing conduct has led me to conclude that he is not currently fit to take the court in an NBA game. " Really Mr Stern, but Kobe is fit to take the court in an NBA game after he violated someone. Stern kills me with his looking the other way from their ridiculous "drug policy" to the off the courts incidents NBA players get into year in and year out. At least 50% of them probably carry guns. If he does that to Arenas, he needs to do a surprise sweep of every team to see if any other players have guns. He'd probably be surprised.

I can't believe Stern's statement "his ongoing conduct has led me to conclude that he is not currently fit to take the court in an NBA game. " Really Mr Stern, but Kobe is fit to take the court in an NBA game after he violated someone. Stern kills me with his looking the other way from their ridiculous "drug policy" to the off the courts incidents NBA players get into year in and year out. At least 50% of them probably carry guns. If he does that to Arenas, he needs to do a surprise sweep of every team to see if any other players have guns. He'd probably be surprised.

Witnesses saw what happened in the locker room. The charges against Kobe were he said/she said, and were ultimately dropped by the accuser. The cases are not comparable unless you insert your personal opinions as objective fact.

I will never defend the NBA as a pure institution. It is a business like any other business. Everyone knew that the Arenas signing was bad news after he got injured. It's been bad for 2 years now.

When the story broke, my initial thought was that someone within the organization put JCritt up to it-- to provoke Arenas into a fight. The Wizards chose not to suspend him for 3 weeks, a seemingly bad PR move. Then the league comes in with this ominous ruling today.

The Wizards are publicly acting like the good guy, but are urging the league to void the contract. I believe that Stern asked Pollan what he wanted the end result to be. Whatever happens, the Wizards will get their way. My money is on no money for Agent $.00

As this article points out, cases of voided contracts are pretty rare in the NBA. The Warriors could have done it to Ellis, but didn't. The Pacers could have done it to Jackson and Tinsley, but didn't. The Warriors did void Sprewell's contract after he choked PJ, but his contract was later reinstated. The union will fight any attempt to void Areans' contract. If the Wiz void his contract but lose a court battle with the union, there could be adverse consequences to the franchise. One not mentioned in the article is the possibility that FAs will still away from the Wizards.

I see the "ongoing conduct" line as Stern trying control the story for the NBA instead of just reacting to it. Gilbert was talking to the press instead of remaining silent - seemingly making light of the whole situation. The NBA is a multi-billion dollar industry; bad press could reduce revenues to the tune of millions/tens of millions of dollars.

Usually the NBA is willing to let the investigations run their course before taking league actions. But this specific set of circumstance has forced them to shift that paradigm. The players association will try and fight it, but the league will probably win in the end. Even if it got overturned, the league would get points for at least sending a message that these types of behaviors will not be tolerated.

Did anything happen to J-Critt? Did he get off clean?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34739586/ns/...shington_post//

According to two first-hand accounts of the confrontation, Crittenton responded to Arenas's action — which included laying the four unloaded weapons in Crittenton's cubicle with a note that read, "Pick One" — by brandishing his own firearm, loading a clip of ammunition into the gun and cocking the weapon.

Two of the five people in the room that morning, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Arenas had originally not disclosed Crittenton's action to protect the little-used guard from prosecution and had told Crittenton he would assume full responsibility for the actions of both players that day.

Two of the five people in the room that morning, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Arenas had originally not disclosed Crittenton's action to protect the little-used guard from prosecution and had told Crittenton he would assume full responsibility for the actions of both players that day.

Just when I thought I could not feel any respect for Arenas, ever... Not that this makes up for everything else, but it shows some leadership where I didn't expect to find any.

what do you expect from a guy who spent millions to erect a statue of himself in his new house?

it's entered the realm of tragedy at this point

I can't believe Stern's statement "his ongoing conduct has led me to conclude that he is not currently fit to take the court in an NBA game. " Really Mr Stern, but Kobe is fit to take the court in an NBA game after he violated someone.

Uh? Wasn't he ruled out innocent by your judicial system? :huh:

Uh? Wasn't he ruled out innocent by your judicial system? :huh:

no, they settled out of court. Guilt or Innocence was not decided. Instead, they decided on how much it would cost to make the case go away,

So basically J Critt had gunz in the locker room at the ready too...

Wonder how many players rushed back to the locker room to 'clean' their lockers after this news broke...

Side Note: Really wish I had a Personal Security Company.

There is clearly a demand for personal security... (or is this an example of when keeping it real - goes wrong;))

I would finance it and hire ex military and ex policemen to provide personal security to these guys who feel they need to hang in places where security would be required.

SideSIDE note - why on earth would these guys feel the need to even go places where they feel their lives are in danger???? The FIRST thing I would do with that kind of cash - is put myself in a place where I could be COMFORTABLE with it... I'm just saying...

( Gentlemen's clubs... yeah right - put a pole in one of your many rooms on your own property and hire 'entertainment' and invite your freinds - if that's what you need to feel like you are ballin' ... just sayin....)

That or go see Hugh Heff... never read about him carrying firearms and I have heard that his parties go all out !

Win Win for all...

Mr. Stern if you are reading - give me a call ... surely we could work something out...

Might even go into interior design ... ;)

-Toke

I feel bad for ole Gil. Up until now his biggest character flaw was that he was an irritating practical joker. I guess he took this joke one step to far. He should have never brought the guns there and it was obvious he brought them there to do his little joke. Unfortunately for him, there are laws against that stuff. I hope they don't try to make an example out of him. He's a decent guy and has done a lot for the community, didn't he adopt some kids or something. I would hate to see them give him the hammer while always letting the real thugs get off for free. What he did was plain stupid but it wasn't malicious and it didn't harm anyone and people were actually laughing(well, everyone except J-Critt)

J-Critt is a different story, why did that dude have a loaded gun already at the place. That's crazy.

I was in DC last weekend. The Wizards are trying to do their best to erase Arenas from the team. He's no longer on promo material and they stopped selling Agent Zero merchandise. It's if he never played there.