Sign in to follow this  
AyoMayo

Wow I liked the Kyle Lowry trade but see what Bill Simmons had too say about it....

The most important trade for playoff purposes? A seemingly minor three-teamer between Houston (landed Brian Cook and Kyle Lowry), Orlando (landed Rafer Alston) and Memphis (landed a 2009 first-rounder from Orlando). It happened because Memphis is hemorrhaging money and supposedly saved $2 million, even if it meant turning Lowry (who had been outplaying 2008 lottery pick Mike Conley for two solid seasons) into a meaningless pick in one of the worst drafts ever. I'd say the Grizzlies hurled a flaming bag of dog feces at their fans, but they don't have any fans. Still, that trade (as well as the canceled Chandler deal, New Orleans' way of turning the Turd Sandwich into its team's official mascot) reminded me of the shady stuff that happened in the late '70s and early '80s, when the league struggled to find a foothold, franchises hopped around, and every trade happened because of money or because a team wanted to nefariously dump a starter who was snorting enough cocaine to kill a police horse.

Hey, at least you later realized that the topic already existed. Trust me, that's a lot more than most new forumers can say. Welcome!

I can agree with that. I think it's always nice to read the board before starting topics, but at least he caught the mistake quickly.

The most important trade for playoff purposes? A seemingly minor three-teamer between Houston (landed Brian Cook and Kyle Lowry), Orlando (landed Rafer Alston) and Memphis (landed a 2009 first-rounder from Orlando). It happened because Memphis is hemorrhaging money and supposedly saved $2 million, even if it meant turning Lowry (who had been outplaying 2008 lottery pick Mike Conley for two solid seasons) into a meaningless pick in one of the worst drafts ever. I'd say the Grizzlies hurled a flaming bag of dog feces at their fans, but they don't have any fans. Still, that trade (as well as the canceled Chandler deal, New Orleans' way of turning the Turd Sandwich into its team's official mascot) reminded me of the shady stuff that happened in the late '70s and early '80s, when the league struggled to find a foothold, franchises hopped around, and every trade happened because of money or because a team wanted to nefariously dump a starter who was snorting enough cocaine to kill a police horse.

wonder what simmons would say today about all of this.

slim.

wonder what simmons would say today about all of this. slim.

Probably would deny ever writing it.

....the shady stuff that happened in the late '70s and early '80s, when the league struggled to find a foothold, franchises hopped around, and every trade happened because of money or because a team wanted to nefariously dump a starter who was snorting enough cocaine to kill a police horse.

There are some books about the history of the ABA you would enjoy. The Will Ferrell movie only represented the tip of the iceberg as they say.

wonder what simmons would say today about all of this.

slim.

It was still a dumb trade so he would probably own it. Kyle was the best PG in the east for much of the season, probably still is. The grizzlies could've gotten more than the nothing that draft pick turned into.

wonder what simmons would say today about all of this. slim.

To be fair, nothing he said was really untrue at that point...other than the fact that he wasn't a 2008 lottery pick.

It was still a dumb trade so he would probably own it. Kyle was the best PG in the east for much of the season, probably still is. The grizzlies could've gotten more than the nothing that draft pick turned into.

Actually, that draft pick turned into Kosta Koufos. The Grizzlies drafted Donte Green with that pick, who they traded for Darrell Arthur. Arthur became Koufos this off season.

Actually, that draft pick turned into Kosta Koufos. The Grizzlies drafted Donte Green with that pick, who they traded for Darrell Arthur. Arthur became Koufos this off season.

You sure? I always thought DA (and Vazquez) were a result of the two picks we got from the Lakers.

Edit: http://newsok.com/trading-pau-gasol-for-marc-gasol-has-helped-memphis-prosper/article/3806563

You sure? I always thought DA (and Vazquez) were a result of the two picks we got from the Lakers.

You're right, I went with Simmons knowing what he was talking about in calling Mike a 2008 draft pick. That would make the 2009 lisitng he gave the year after Mike was drafted. Therefore, a 2009 draft pick would have to have been DA, since Love was drafted with our pick in the draft after Mike.

But Mike was a 2007 pick. The Houston pick in 2009 got us DeMarre Carroll. Wasn't a complete waste, he helped us get rid of the worst draft pick we ever made in the Presence, along with a two month rental of Shane.

It was DeMarre Carroll who has now become a solid player.

I wonder if any team has more former players starting on other teams than the Grizzlies, especially those that were draft picks and actually played for them (as opposed to a draft pick that is traded before ever playing for the team, like K Love).

DeMarre has started 58 games for the Hawks this year.

Lowry has started 65.

Battier has started 52

Rudy has started 43

GV started almost all last year with the NOH, but hasn't done much starting this year.

Wroten has started 14

Xavier has started 5

Arthur has started 1, which is still more than... Thabeet who is still at 0 starts this year.

(Just an interesting observation..to me, not meant to be a commentary on Wallace or Levien, etc)

Lowry has torpedoed every team he has been on in his career. This is the first season he hasn't done it and...wait for it...his contract is up. Someone is going to pay him and Kyle Lowry is going to ride off into the sunset never to perform like he has this year ever again.

Lowry has torpedoed every team he has been on in his career. This is the first season he hasn't done it and...wait for it...his contract is up. Someone is going to pay him and Kyle Lowry is going to ride off into the sunset never to perform like he has this year ever again.

Lowry while torpedoing every team he was on as you say was better than any backup we had at pg. We gave him up for a net nothing on this team, thats a dumb trade.

Giving up Wroten for a bag of chips dumb trade.

Selling 1st round picks, dumb trades.

Trading a 1st round pick to dump 1 year of the presence, somebody will argue the we made a run so it was worth it but to me a short sighted dumb move.

Trading DA for Kufous good trade.

JB for CLee good trade.

Every team except the spurs make bad deals. No matter how you slice it giving up Lowry for what we got in return was a bad deal.

Lowry while torpedoing every team he was on as you say was better than any backup we had at pg. We gave him up for a net nothing on this team, thats a dumb trade. Giving up Wroten for a bag of chips dumb trade. Selling 1st round picks, dumb trades. Trading a 1st round pick to dump 1 year of the presence, somebody will argue the we made a run so it was worth it but to me a short sighted dumb move. Trading DA for Kufous good trade. JB for CLee good trade. Every team except the spurs make bad deals. No matter how you slice it giving up Lowry for what we got in return was a bad deal.
Lowry while torpedoing every team he was on as you say was better than any backup we had at pg. We gave him up for a net nothing on this team, thats a dumb trade. Giving up Wroten for a bag of chips dumb trade. Selling 1st round picks, dumb trades. Trading a 1st round pick to dump 1 year of the presence, somebody will argue the we made a run so it was worth it but to me a short sighted dumb move. Trading DA for Kufous good trade. JB for CLee good trade. Every team except the spurs make bad deals. No matter how you slice it giving up Lowry for what we got in return was a bad deal.

90% of those "bad trades" were handled by an overly-meddlesome old owner and an overly-hardheaded old school coach.

All of those "good trades" ... new group, new coach.

That's weird because I've heard those new FO guys and coach suck more than a vacuum convention.

90% of those "bad trades" were handled by an overly-meddlesome old owner and an overly-hardheaded old school coach.

All of those "good trades" ... new group, new coach.

That's weird because I've heard those new FO guys and coach suck more than a vacuum convention.

The teams new management is doing a good job, A few bad deals but most of the bad is because the people who came before them where making trades like they were playing 2K, and sucking at it.

The teams new management is doing a good job, A few bad deals but most of the bad is because the people who came before them where making trades like they were playing 2K, and sucking at it.

It also shows how pretty darn good Wallace is in scouting talent.

It also shows how pretty darn good Wallace is in scouting talent.
I don't know if he is a great GM but he sure knows basketball talent! He hardly missed after Heisley stopped butting in after the lottery. Sam Young, DeMarre Carroll, Greivis Vasquez, Darrell Arthur, Josh Selby and Tony Wroten all were picked by Wallace after the lottery and all but Selby have made a significant impact in the league despite being picked in the washout zone which is typical of players taken after the 20th pick in the draft.