Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zack

mihm to griz

106 posts in this topic

Oh, put a sock in it.

This city has a self-image problem. I could care less what the rest of the league or the media thinks about the Grizzlies. We're not the only ones pulling deals like this.

My ipod analogy is irrefutable so you resort to ad hominem attacks towards certain message board contributors. You can take your "non ticket holders' opinions don't count" BS and go sit in a corner. Shame on you, X. You're better than to pull that garbage.

You read to much into that. Heck, I am not a season ticket holder. However, I doubt you would be so accepting if you had $5000 grand on the table.

What I am saying is that this organization is pocketing money at the expense of the basketball product. That is an irrefutable fact. Instead of using their resources to improve a terrible product, they essentially our giving themselves a bonus for this horrid season. So if I were a season ticket holder, I would laugh my *** off when they sent out the renewals. I would just pocket my money. It seems like most of Memphis has done that because the team has zero committment to building a winner. It is all fairy tales and pixie dust until they actually do something.

If next year, all we have done is a draft day trade, a half hearted offer to Paul Milsap and some trades to get to the minimum cap number and cash deals...will you say then that everything is fine and dandy?

I wonder if Mihm was brought in because

a)one of our big men are getting traded (probably Darko)

b)Mihm is a piece in a bigger trade

c)The lakers are about to do something

These finacial deals shouldnt be surprising to anyone. Heisley wants to make this team as attractive as he possibly can for the next suitor. Im ok if they stand pat for now. Were not going anywhere this year anyway. I would love to see some minor deals that show that we are building and adding young pieces like a Cook whoses a shooter we definitely need. Unless its something you cant pass up I dont think we necessarily need a big splash. But something like a Cook for Lowry deal would get the fans feeling there really is a serious plan going on.

I wonder if Mihm was brought in because

a)one of our big men are getting traded (probably Darko)

b)Mihm is a piece in a bigger trade

c)The lakers are about to do something

a) I would doubt it, but maybe. Who knows at this point.

b ) I don't think he can be traded as part of a larger package just after being acquired

c )I would doubt that-I think this move was solely financial for them-i.e. the "cash considerations" were enough to cover Mihm's salary for the rest of the season plus a bit for Heisley's pocket, but less than the luxury tax payment that keeping Mihm until he expired would have necessitated. I could be wrong about that....

Well cool because we'll have even more cap room when his 2.5M comes off the books in the offseason.

Well cool because we'll have even more cap room when his 2.5M comes off the books in the offseason.

It wouldn't be any more. We added to what we have when we take him on.

So we can sign WHO???

b ) I don't think he can be traded as part of a larger package just after being acquired

I really thought the only rule was that he couldn't be traded back to his original team for a certain amount of time, but i could be wrong.

You read to much into that. Heck, I am not a season ticket holder. However, I doubt you would be so accepting if you had $5000 grand on the table.

What I am saying is that this organization is pocketing money at the expense of the basketball product. That is an irrefutable fact. Instead of using their resources to improve a terrible product, they essentially our giving themselves a bonus for this horrid season. So if I were a season ticket holder, I would laugh my *** off when they sent out the renewals. I would just pocket my money. It seems like most of Memphis has done that because the team has zero committment to building a winner. It is all fairy tales and pixie dust until they actually do something.

If next year, all we have done is a draft day trade, a half hearted offer to Paul Milsap and some trades to get to the minimum cap number and cash deals...will you say then that everything is fine and dandy?

THESE MINOR FINANCIAL TRADES ARE NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF THE BASKETBALL PRODUCT. We didn't give up any peices of our team that help us win, and we probably won't even play Mihm. Yeah we lose but I love watching this team. I've been watching us evolve all season long and while we're still a long way off from being an actual contender, its still fun to see. So many great plays have been made the past two nights, it would be foolish not to go see the game tomorrow night, whether Chris Mihm is on the roster or not...

It makes no sense to complain about making money. Why get aggravated about this???

Didn't mean to come on so strong, but anything that looks like season-ticket-holder elitism really sticks in my craw. Having said that, a season ticket is an investment and they deserve a return on that investment. On the other hand, nobody's holding a gun to my head. There was every reason to expect a low-win team, but the disappointment is in how we have been playing from about game 10 to the beginning of the Hollins era.

While it's easy for people to see deals like this and slap them into a Heisley template, why not do them while you can? Especially in this economy?

Michael Heisley lives in the same economy we do, and right now, cash is king. Regardless of how you feel about the current political scene, the irrefutable truth is that with the massive injection of cash into the system, we're about a year away from real inflation. Any dollar gained now is like gaining two next year.

And I understand the heart of your argument, but in examination, it doesn't add up. This deal does not pocket money "at the expense of the basketball product", because we're losing nothing in this trade. If there is no intention to improve the product until draft night and the offseason, then these moves aren't hindering anything.

I don't like it, but I've always tried to hold to the idea that as long as they make a significant move this offseason, I'll continue to have hope that we really are trying to do something here. That means I'm accounting that they may do nothing during the year.

I would still like to think they'd be open to it though. There's only 2 things they've done that have hacked me off this year; keeping Ivy too long is one. The other is the Walker buyout. That is antithetical to the "flexibility" they have been touting. Had his contract still been on the table, we might have been able to pull a significant deal by the trade deadline if one had fallen in our lap. Now that cap room is unavailable until the offseason.

It wouldn't be any more. We added to what we have when we take him on.

Good point. My algebra is suck.

So we can sign WHO???

I don't know but if we're not winning at least we're not bleeding cash (Clippers, Knicks, Charlotte)

I really thought the only rule was that he couldn't be traded back to his original team for a certain amount of time, but i could be wrong.

That's what I thought also.

Mihn was a nice pick up from the luxury tax fall out. Think he will actually log some minutes once he gets acclimated to the team. I don't think Hollins will have the reservations about putting him in the game, that he had with Hadadi are what ever that guys name is, they sent to the D-league.

If Darko has trouble with his hand, or both Gasol and Darko get in to foul trouble as has happened before. Plus this will allow Darko to play more time at power forward with out the worry of not having a center because of foul trouble.

So basically I think it was a nice pickup and you can't beat the price.

If Darko has trouble with his hand, or both Gasol and Darko get in to foul trouble as has happened before. Plus this will allow Darko to play more time at power forward with out the worry of not having a center because of foul trouble.

Absolutely. I thought the same thing myself. Especially Darko playing more PF.

Hollinger graded the recent trades :

Memphis: The Grizzlies get paid to keep Chris Mihm on their roster for two months. What a country.

Memphis might reap further savings if it can reach a buyout deal that allows Mihm to sign with a contender. Grade: B+

In contrast, the Lakers were given a C for this.

Hollinger's Trade Grades.

ESPN is claiming Bulls is trying to trade Larry Hughes to us. They had it up and took it down real quick. Also I think John Salmons could be a good pickup for our team.

I think people over react to any voice that isn't peachy and rosey.

I have no problem with heisley making money of these stupid deals. I'm glad he found a way to make money (since basketball games apperantly didn't)

I do like to make fun of these moves.

ESPN is claiming Bulls is trying to trade Larry Hughes to us. They had it up and took it down real quick. Also I think John Salmons could be a good pickup for our team.

larry hughes would be a good pick up but heisely does not want to spend in money until next year, b/c even if we end repsectively he know a trade is not going to fill the fed ex forum for the next 11 games..I've given up on the trades..the deadline will be here b4 we know it..

ON a another note, Mihm needs to bring his *** to Memphis and work for his paycheck...

YO

I just got off the phone with Chris Mihm's agent, who said the trade that sent his client to Memphis in exchange for a conditional second-round pick in 2013 was a "complete surprise."

"Chris is extremely disappointed," agent Jeff Austin said. "He loved being part of the Lakers."

Hughes is a knick now..trade day has been over for the Grizz..unless we are going to help another randomn team stay under the cap by signing another underused 7 footer..

YO

Its funny seeing some of the fans on here breaking down the flexibility and talking about luxury tax and getting excited about 2 mil coming off the books. With all this flexibility we better pull a Paul Milsap in the off-season. I think Heisley is still wanting to spend and improve the team if the player is right. He obviously is if hes talking to Phoenix about Amare. But JUST SAY NO to Larry Hughes.

We would have if hollins was coach. Or more precisely if ivy was fired last year midseason.

We are on the rebound after a bad relationship. Everyone looks good now. Hahaha

Kyle hasn't looked that great.

:o