Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Real MH

Best article ever written

I got to agree.

Bruce Bowen >> Shane Battier

And Bowen came up through the CBA, has rings and makes less money.

If Antonio Anderson could ever develop a jumpshot..he would be better than Shane Battier.

Go TIGERS!

no doubt. I would love a younger Bowen over Rudy. Is that better? Less controversy that way?

Yeah right... Shane is so good that after the traded for him they keep looking for more wings... First they try Artest then there were rumors of Carter...

#1 you are missing my point. which to be fair, I havent been making very well.

#2 what we need and what houston needs are different things. So it doesnt mean as much. Its not always about who is the more talent player but who better fits a team.

You won't be saying that when we trade Rudy for Caron Butler, Tayshawn Prince, or Josh Smith this summer. That will happen and all of those guys are better than Battier.

Completely correct. I won't. My points are less about Battier (who I love as a player) and more about Rudy (who I do not)

You won't be saying that when we trade Rudy for Caron Butler, Tayshawn Prince, or Josh Smith this summer. That will happen and all of those guys are better than Battier.

Thank you. AK47, Prince, Butler, Artest, J. Smith, Jeff Green, Shawn Marion, Gerald Wallace, Luol Deng, and almost every other starting small forward in the NBA is better than Battier.

Gay is naturally an offensive player. He has has horrible coaches that have not made him focus on defense and team play...hopefully he will improve, but he is still young and a much greater asset than Battier.

One lovey dovey article for shane and people come out of the wood work to show their wishy washy colors.

decaff dude

I'm talking about the team and I am not a ritual complainer.

i dont drink coffee and i wasnt talking to you.

Shane Battier - One of the most overrated grizzlie players in basketball history.

fixed. tell tale sign a player is over rated. the home team fans legitimately believe he should be mayor.

I promise not enough thread locking goes on on this board.

dude.. for real. i dont understand why we have multiple forums when the rules arent used. lets just put everything in one forum.

i come up with threads all the time that i never post bc i dont like checking multiple forums and its not inherently grizzlies related. just like this. nothing to do with the grizz but some are gonna argue it does bc we traded him. it really, actually doesnt.

with shane we would have been a boardline playoff team all this time. instead we got gay, mayo, and conley

sure is an easy thing to say when you have no way to prove that what so ever. garbage.

no. we wouldnt. the suns arent even a playoff team right now.

the rockets have 3 super stars, a deep bench, 3 point shooting and good point guards. that article can claim shane showed up in houston and they started winning all they want, and that he did the same for memphis. never acknowledging the massive roster overhaul thats taken place

Thank you. AK47, Prince, Butler, Artest, J. Smith, Jeff Green, Shawn Marion, Gerald Wallace, Luol Deng, and almost every other starting small forward in the NBA is better than Battier.

Gay is naturally an offensive player. He has has horrible coaches that have not made him focus on defense and team play...hopefully he will improve, but he is still young and a much greater asset than Battier.

I can agree with all that and yet still my points stand. weird huh? :blink:

guess someone is still not arguing the same argument

It is kind of amusing that ppl are SO more focused on arguing or pointedly not arguing and old argument that they can't see the new one. ;)

Amusing or sad. I think sad. Closed ears and closed minds aren't very amusing, but I get your point.

It is kind of amusing that ppl are SO more focused on arguing or pointedly not arguing and old argument that they can't see the new one. ;)

As one who 'gets it'..wouldn't it be ironic of Gay and Battier were swapped again? I mean it would in a way make sense for both teams..although the value might be a bit off as of today.

Neither team has accomplished much since that trade.

And where they are both now headed...each respective player would be a better fit on the other team. We now have O.J. and need a more versatile SF that can defend. They are going downhill with TMac/Yao. That experiment is over and could use some salary relief and a new young prospect.

As one who 'gets it'..wouldn't it be ironic of Gay and Battier were swapped again? I mean it would in a way make sense for both teams..although the value might be a bit off as of today.

And where they are both now headed...each respective player would be a better fit on the other team. We now have O.J. and need a more versatile SF that can defend. They are going downhill with TMac/Yao. That experiment is over and could use some salary relief and a new young prospect.

It would be incredibly ironic and would be a classic Wallace move that makes a great deal of sense but would get lambasted by the media.

I would love to have battier back for many reasons. A great veteran presence for a bunch of young guys. A defensive minded, smart player, who can hit an open three. It makes a great deal of sense except for two things.

1) he is 31

2) rudy's trade value is probably much higher than that.

but as far as basketball- it would make a great deal of sense.

I don't think you do get it. All of these responses, and no one has directly addressed the content of the article or the Rockets' approach to statistics.

#1 you are missing my point. which to be fair, I havent been making very well.

#2 what we need and what houston needs are different things. So it doesnt mean as much. Its not always about who is the more talent player but who better fits a team.

And Shane was traded because: he couldnt avg 20pts, or 10pts a game and he was a nonfactor in the playoffs... I think you should closely take a look at this teams weaknesses... Which besides experience is rebounding, low assists/shooting and an impact pf... This team needs a revamped bench and starting pf... Rudy is not the problem and Shane is not the solution... Have you been watching too many Shane commercials?? :blink:

I can agree with all that and yet still my points stand. weird huh? :blink:

guess someone is still not arguing the same argument

Well, it seems that you have kind of stated your anger directed at Gay and since you are normally reasonable, I'm letting it slide...but the point is...Gay could land you one of those players...whereas Battier couldn't. so the Gay/Battier trade was a win for us...even if it was a win for the Rockets too.

I don't think you do get it. All of these responses, and no one has directly addressed the content of the article or the Rockets' approach to statistics.

I don't think YOU get it.

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Memphis Grizzlies.

Why you posted this nonsense is beyond me. I'm sure it's a very nice article. But it has no place here.

Memphis went from a 1st rd playoff loser to a lottery team.

Houston went from a lottery team to a 1st rd playoff loser.

What do you mean neither team has accomplished anything? ;)

And Shane was traded because: he couldnt avg 20pts, or 10pts a game and he was a nonfactor in the playoffs... I think you should closely take a look at this teams weaknesses... Which besides experience is rebounding, low assists/shooting and an impact pf... This team needs a revamped bench and starting pf... Rudy is not the problem and Shane is not the solution... Have you been watching too many Shane commercials?? :blink:

I think you need to study + - a bit more and read that article a bit more deeply. Ignore the player for a minute. I dont care if a player averages 40 pts a game. If his +/- -> is (-) greater than his pts.... you've got a problem.

the player that should not be named averages +10 a game. that's incredible. With what we have now that is the type of player that we need. I would even say that if you put 8 to 10 players with that type of ability together they will beat more athletically talented teams consistently.

Memphis went from a 1st rd playoff loser to a lottery team.

Houston went from a lottery team to a 1st rd playoff loser.

What do you mean neither team has accomplished anything? ;)

Why do people harp on TMac for never making it out of the 1st round when Battier hasn't either....maybe because Battier isn't good enough for people to expect him to make it past the 1st round?

I don't think YOU get it.

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Memphis Grizzlies.

Why you posted this nonsense is beyond me. I'm sure it's a very nice article. But it has no place here.

The orginal post may or may not be grizz related but the discussion can be....

I think you need to study + - a bit more and read that article a bit more deeply. Ignore the player for a minute. I dont care if a player averages 40 pts a game. If his +/- -> is (-) greater than his pts.... you've got a problem.

the player that should not be named averages +10 a game. that's incredible. With what we have now that is the type of player that we need. I would even say that if you put 8 to 10 players with that type of ability together they will beat more athletically talented teams consistently.

His career is +6.

Why do people harp on TMac for never making it out of the 1st round when Battier hasn't either....maybe because Battier isn't good enough for people to expect him to make it past the 1st round?

Read the article. Just read the article.

Battier is a role player.

That would be like blaming Bruce Bowen if the Spurs lose in the first round this year.

Well, it seems that you have kind of stated your anger directed at Gay and since you are normally reasonable, I'm letting it slide...but the point is...Gay could land you one of those players...whereas Battier couldn't. so the Gay/Battier trade was a win for us...even if it was a win for the Rockets too.

Saying we lost in that trade - I was not talking about assets and player value but production. The player that must not be named is a glue guy that helps his team play better than their talent. His style of play and abilities are also the right fit for what we need at sf.

If my posts are normally reasonable and I've stated that you're not understanding my point- wouldn't that kinda lead one to conclude that I might have a more reasonable point than the one you are focusing on?

I dont get this asinine tendency to want to trade our best players instead of building a team around them... Example: Pau against Atl had 12pts 13reb 10ast 2blk, Josh Smith had 13pts 0rebs :blink: 2ast 1blk and Al Horford had 6pts 7reb 1ast 0blk... You think Atlanta is ready to make a deal??!! They cant play!! :lol: