Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MemphisX

Mike Conley Jr. - Team Leader?

69 posts in this topic

Seems to be what could be developing...

The Griz trailed 62-60 when Mayo’s started his offensive onslaught. Credit Griz point guard Mike Conley for a rare assist on a technical free throw that got Mayo going.

When Toronto was whistled for defensive three seconds, Conley insisted Mayo shoot the free throw. Mayo then added eight unanswered points off a layup, three-point play and 3-pointer.

“I took the last three technicals so I figured I needed to get him going,” said Conley, whose 15 points, eight assists and six rebounds guided the Griz until that point. “I figured he would make it and once he did he got hot.”

Mayo was appreciative of Conley’s call.

“I had to start somewhere,” Mayo said. “I missed my last nine, 10 shots. They were on target but they were real short.”

Mayo also set up Marc Gasol for a fast-break layup that capped an 11-0 run of the Grizzlies, who stormed ahead 71-62. Toronto closed the gap to 73-70 after Jason Kapono’s 3-pointer capped an 8-2 run with 48 seconds left.

Yes Conley is becoming very confident in himself. To be fair, I think Conley was "getting" it even before hollins took over, but there is no doubt that Conley is confident. The only thing I don't like about Conley is he has an awfully slow release on his shot. Will that be a factore in the future? Maybe, he seems to need a lot of room to operate taking his shot.

Conley could be the floor general to beat ever in Grizzlies organization. His calibre has been blossoming thesedays under the steward of Hollins, and today he showed himself as a real leader of the team who make his colleague be on the right track. Conley is awesome. He is something. We have to keep him as our core player with Mayo, Gay as well.

Hes probably not gonna get much better than he is right now. We should just trade him now and get what we can get for him before his trade value goes down.

Hes probably not gonna get much better than he is right now. We should just trade him now and get what we can get for him before his trade value goes down.

WHAT!!!! i don't know how you can say that with any confidence? is some feeling you have? as the players around him improve, they will make more shots and he will have more assists. as he matures, he will become better and better at the rim and his turnovers will go down... the mistakes and things that are knocking against MC can easily be chalked up as youthfulness

and, a PG who has 14 points and 6 assist (last five games - not mention against OKC went for 15 and 9) - even if this is a good as he gets, these are great numbers and worth out keeping

WHAT!!!! i don't know how you can say that with any confidence? is some feeling you have? as the players around him improve, they will make more shots and he will have more assists. as he matures, he will become better and better at the rim and his turnovers will go down... the mistakes and things that are knocking against MC can easily be chalked up as youthfulness

and, a PG who has 14 points and 6 assist (last five games - not mention against OKC went for 15 and 9) - even if this is a good as he gets, these are great numbers and worth out keeping

Psst! It's sarcasm...

LOL at least it wasn't me that fell for it this time.

Trade him for a second round pick and cash.

You're overvaluing him. ;)

I read that earlier and it was a good decision.

I think he can be a leader. Hollins has given him "keys to the car" and it has helped his game tremendously. Which has to make me think that Heisley hired Hollins and said "you have develop conley, I don't want to have to spend anymore money on a point guard, I mean Tony Parker has a hot wife, Jaric has a hot wife, why can't conley have a hot wife..oh yeah by the way hollins you get the job. But Lionel what do you think about that young wife of tony parker, maybe we can get one of those for our team, i mean she didn't cost the spurs anything; i want to build a team like the spurs through the draft. maybe we can get some ladies in this place, yaric can't even speak enough portugeuse to get his lady in the forum; maybe conley can get him a wife to come the games; i mean i'd give her a seat, i own the team. but lionel you think we can get damon stoudamire to come back and coach for us. i think he can help conley get better at getting a wife. man these are tough times to be a billionaire, i mean my interest keeps gaining and i have an exuse not to spend money. Brandy sure was cheap halftime entertainment; maybe next year we can get the suns in here for the MLK and have Shaq do one of those raps he does; 'i know i got skillz'

Think about the money I would save; and the kids would love it. Boy, Lionel you really got me thinking I get to hire you for the duration of iavorni's contract; you live in the city and i get to save some money. By the way did i mention i am a billionaire. These sure are tough economic times to be a billionaire, my interest keeps gaining and I have a great excuse not to spend money. Boy those were great times buying this team in US dollars while the Canadian dollar was weak. I sure did make a profit. Boy it sure is tought to be a billionaire these days. Real tough. I better go and get me another used rolex. By the way hollins; how does $50,000 sound?"

no my bad. i meant yo daddy is gay now go tell yo mama that he s**ks ****

kinda lost its sting, even though the sophistication was high and it was delivered with class

thanks for making us proud

After seeing Ramon Sessions drop 40 last night, I hate we couldnt do that deal with the Bucks. I think Conley is going to be a very good serviceable pg. Im thinking more on the lines of TJ Ford than Tony Parker. Can we complain with 12ppg and 6 assist? Does that make him worth being the 4th overall pick? No.. but, at least he is a solid contributor and not a complete bust.

hey, conleywillbegreat; haven't you used up all of your internet time for sunday? or is your mom still at church and you can keep on truckin'? :rolleyes:

It would be nice to see Conley become that floor general. Back right before the season started I had commented somewhere that it made sense for Conley to be the ringleader if he, Mayo and Gay were to be our 3-ringed circus act.

Rudy just wants to play. He wants to win too. But he doesn't hate to lose.

Mayo hates to lose. He has that desire to be great. He will be a natural leader.

But Conley has the ability due to his position and his temperament to keep them both happy and productive together, and make the calls necessary when needed. And I think the OP's quote was evidence that he can be that guy. I hope this coaching change was all that the doctor ordered for him to blossom.

Ramon Sessions had 44 and 12 last night. Conley will never do that

Mayo hates to lose. He has that desire to be great. He will be a natural leader.

Mayodesirestobegreat?