Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MemphisX

Heisley left at halftime?

55 posts in this topic

Guys, can we PLEASE stop the hatred towards each others programs. Seriously. It gets old fast. I along with alot of other Memphians am a lifelong Tiger fan. I've been with the team through the ups and downs. Same with the Grizzlies. I became a Grizzlies fan the day they moved to Memphis and am still loyal to the team. I don't understand why Grizzlies fans hate Tiger fans and vise versa. I really don't. Do you guys not think it would be beneficial to both teams to increase fan support in the home city?

I think part of the problem is that when the Grizz started to get bad and the Tigers became the toast of the town, you had some UofM fans coming here with their "Tiger Shades" on thinking that all the Grizz have to do in order to put fans in the seats is to draft Tiger players.

Personally, I'm a Buckeye fan(grew up in Cleveland) so I could care less about the Tigers. I DO see that most Tiger fans are like Cowboy fans though. When they win, all you hear about is how great they are and how they'll all be lottery picks that the Grizz should take. When they lose, you can barely get two words out of em. :lol:

Not really though, right?

No, not really. I guess my post was a bad joke :huh: ; sorta like the Grizz/Bobcat game.

No, not really. I guess my post was a bad joke :huh: ; sorta like the Grizz/Bobcat game.

LOL@him taking you serious. Yeah, they have comcast internet in the holding cell man.

Guys, can we PLEASE stop the hatred towards each others programs. Seriously. It gets old fast. I along with alot of other Memphians am a lifelong Tiger fan. I've been with the team through the ups and downs. Same with the Grizzlies. I became a Grizzlies fan the day they moved to Memphis and am still loyal to the team. I don't understand why Grizzlies fans hate Tiger fans and vise versa. I really don't. Do you guys not think it would be beneficial to both teams to increase fan support in the home city?

Yeah, considering our present attendance woes, we need all the support we can get. Come on down!!!! Tiger, Razorback, Rebel, Vol, Buckeye, and yes, Laker fans; we need everybody we can get.

I don't hate Tiger fans. I just don't like this new arrogance they have like they have been supporting the program through lean years. I am an Arkansas fan, I remember bringing more fans to TIGER home games.

Word.

He could have gone to one of the luxury suites. I've seen him do that several times too. The point is, there is no reason to badmouth the guy for something that nobody can verify that he actually did. Now if you want to badmouth him for the Three Year Plan, then go right ahead. ;)

My wife and I left mid way thru the 4th....We saw Heisley walking toward Opus. He could have been in the Grizzlies box, but I did not see where he had been.

I'm a tiger and Grizzlies season ticket holder..so it is definitely possible to be a fan of both...I don't understand why people act like it isn't. As far as the game the other night..me and my significant other left early in the 4th quarter also. I even booed during the 3rd quarter. These are things I never thought I would do and have gotten on other fans for doing just such in the past...but the thing that irked me the most was that the effort wasn't there. It is one thing to get beat when you are playing hard..doing your best..and playing against a team with superior talent..ala the Hornets game the other night...but when you are down 30 at home to a team I feel like we are better than it boils down to effort.

When you have guys like Ryan Hollins driving the ball str8 down the middle unevaded and dunking..you have a problem. This happened late in the 3rd quarter while Rudy just stood there and watched. It was just a layup/dunk fest the entire game. We only had 23 rebounds. I saw no fire..no intensity whatsoever from our guys. I'm a season ticket holder..and definitely am not giving up on the team..but from now on..everytime I see the ***** poor effort on the floor that I saw on Friday night i'm going to do the same. I hope the guys got the message and come out with an inspired effort on Monday...even if we lose the game by 25..if I see the effort and toughness from the guys i'll be satisfied. At this point with the inexperience of our team that is all I want...it's all you can ask for. GO GRIZZLIES!!!

Heisley has got to move the team. On a pretty warm December night, there should have been more fans there. The Tigers had 17,000 against Marist. The fans give players energy too. With 5,000 fans there, it's hard to get energized. But part of the blame goes on Heisley. When Darko and Marko are your highest paid players, you are a pretty talentless team. If Mayo or Gay ain't playing well, it's a guaranteed blowout.

Do you think Mayo or Gay will quit on the team? I don't mean quit literally, but like early in March if our record is like 12-50, would they continue to play hard?

Ummm...Herrington just said that Heisly left his courtside seat at halftime (something he does regularly, by the way -- often to reappear in the 4th quarter), not that he left the Forum completely. Just thought that should be pointed out.

Don't know how I missed your post on this before now. Agree Heisly has done this many times.

I think Herrington knows this also, an was just trying to put a perinthesis on his article sense there was little to say good about the game.

Better games ahead of us. Learn from this loss and just move on.

Do you think Mayo or Gay will quit on the team? I don't mean quit literally, but like early in March if our record is like 12-50, would they continue to play hard?

3 wins in 3 months would have to be a record. Forget playing hard, I would just retire.

3 wins in 3 months would have to be a record. Forget playing hard, I would just retire.

I must say I had a pretty good chuckle. That was a good one Allen.

The Tigers haven't always sold out every game through the years, but the support has been there although there were some down years between Finch being fired and Cal being hired since there were some coaching issues (most notably Tic Price). I've been a fan since Elliot Perry played (i'm only 26), and I remember in elementary school the teachers would actually let us watch the NCAA tourney games if the Tigers were playing while school was still in session.

Something you have to remember about the Tiger sellouts is that alot of those people are students. The Grizz don't have something like that to fall back on.

One of the problems with the Grizz were how they came to Memphis in that the locals were going to have to pay for the arena with the taxes or whatever. It kind of turned some people off on the team before they even came here. My grandmother is a Tiger fan and always watched every game so she likes basketball, but she never supported the Grizz because of the reason stated. I imagine alot of other people felt the same way so you couple that with the fact the Grizz weren't that good the first years and you have a lot of basketball fans that didn't support the team before they got here and saw no reason to support them when they did get here. Once the Grizz started to win some of these people might have finally started to become fans, but then we start to suck again and they lost the interest they gained.

Another issue is that people think the Grizz will move to another city. I know that's almost impossible, but the average person doesn't know all the technical rules so they think the team will move and don't support them eventhough they've been here a while now. Look at the Titans. When the Oilers moved to Memphis no one went to the games because they knew they'd be moving to Nashville. It didn't matter that they had the opportunity to watch NFL games in person.

I'm personally like another poster said. I'm a Tiger fan and became a Grizz fan as soon as they moved to Memphis.

completely off topic, but i just checked Tic Price on wikipedia and it ends with "Shortly before his third season as Tigers head coach, he resigned." Kind of funny there's no mention of why he resigned.

Heisley has got to move the team. On a pretty warm December night, there should have been more fans there. The Tigers had 17,000 against Marist. The fans give players energy too. With 5,000 fans there, it's hard to get energized. But part of the blame goes on Heisley. When Darko and Marko are your highest paid players, you are a pretty talentless team. If Mayo or Gay ain't playing well, it's a guaranteed blowout.

um... the tigers win.

the griz dont.

ive long said, you can fix every single problem this team has, by winning games. the end.

if he wants to stick around for a whole game and see a happy ending, we need more talent.

so dont compare the tigers to the griz.

um... the tigers win.

the griz dont.

ive long said, you can fix every single problem this team has, by winning games. the end.

if he wants to stick around for a whole game and see a happy ending, we need more talent.

It really is that simple.

That is why I hated the 3YP.

um... the tigers win.

the griz dont.

Again, the reason you have a 3 year plan is because your young players are going to have to develop. Now, if the grizzlies get to 3 year point and they let their players go, then that is something to gripe about.

We don't need more talent, more than we need our current talent to develop and gel. If we go out and spend money on a free agent like Randolph we just screwed our cap space for what? Maybe to go to the playoffs. I don't think so. Until mayo and marc develop, which is going to take more than 1 quarter of a season, my god!, we don't need to bring anybody in.

That strategy hardly ever works.

The best strategy, most time tested way, to get to the championship is to draft a superstar and let him develop, once he develops add players to compliment him. We have that player now in OJ Mayo and it is only a matter of time before the grizzlies are going to be really good.

What's our record now? 9 wins? in 3 months? And that's with a 4 game winning streak.

October, November, December? Take away the 4 game winning streak and the buzzer beater by Rudy against Orlando we would be at 3 games.

Of course I think we'll win more, but I was asking if our record is something like 12-50 or 15-45 in March 09" would some players quit on the coach?

Again, the reason you have a 3 year plan is because your young players are going to have to develop. Now, if the grizzlies get to 3 year point and they let their players go, then that is something to gripe about.

We don't need more talent, more than we need our current talent to develop and gel. If we go out and spend money on a free agent like Randolph we just screwed our cap space for what? Maybe to go to the playoffs. I don't think so. Until mayo and marc develop, which is going to take more than 1 quarter of a season, my god!, we don't need to bring anybody in.

The best strategy, most time tested way, to get to the championship is to draft a superstar and let him develop, once he develops add players to compliment him. We have that player now in OJ Mayo and it is only a matter of time before the grizzlies are going to be really good.

No the most time tested way is to have the most talented teams. Teams that "don't need more talent" are not getting beat by 25+ at home to Charlotte. That is just crazy talk. This is the kin of talk that ha Chicago turning down deals for KG, Gasol, and Kobe. Player development is not an exact science. Players just don't get exponentially better with time.

The idea that we don't need to add talent is krazy.gif

i definitely disagree. we do need more talent.

we need more bench talent.

we need more PF talent.

and we need rudy/mayo/gasol and a pg to progress and refine their talent.

if one or any of them labors and takes to long, it needs to be recognized and addressed to get more talent.

the statement "we dont need more talent" is shocking. i understand the context but that phrase in of it self is stupid.

i didnt say anything about randolph and i didnt want him. hes not the right player.

im also not saying spend money just to spend it or get generically any talent.

josh smith was/is a perfect fit. maybe it was a front but at least they tried.

boozer or milsap would be a great fit.

bosh might be a solid fit.

i would like a defensive minded PF banger that can shoot the 3 or at least has a vast array of post moves.

im not talking about temporary winning with randolph and another weak playoff run, im talking about giving wallace the green light to get talent and that his main objective every day is to be as active as possible to find any and every deal we could possibly do with gasol, rudy and mayo more or less off the table (depending on the deal of course).

obviously i understand mayo is going to take more than 1 quarter. i dont remember placing any blame on him.

flat out, more talent that fits our goals in weak positions and the bench will result in more wins which may also include more talent at the coaching position.

its hard to argue right now we could even get more talent than oj as it appears he's over flowing with it.

again, the idea that we dont need to bring anybody in is stupid. sorry, but it really is.

ill remind that the 3yp is actually the 2YP now and if you think this team as is, will be set in 2 years you need to come off your OJ high.

really?

i didnt realize the celtics drafted KG, Allen or Posey. odd. or that the Lakers drafted bryant, gasol or fisher.

no we're not a large market but if you expect to win just on OJs back you can go talk to AI about his time in philly or pierce about this time in boston until all that UNDRAFTED talent filled the lockers next to him

we need more talent in various places. the end.

i definitely disagree. we do need more talent.

we need more bench talent.

we need more PF talent.

and we need rudy/mayo/gasol and a pg to progress and refine their talent.

if one or any of them labors and takes to long, it needs to be recognized and addressed to get more talent.

the statement "we dont need more talent" is shocking. i understand the context but that phrase in of it self is stupid.

i didnt say anything about randolph and i didnt want him. hes not the right player.

im also not saying spend money just to spend it or get generically any talent.

josh smith was/is a perfect fit. maybe it was a front but at least they tried.

boozer or milsap would be a great fit.

bosh might be a solid fit.

i would like a defensive minded PF banger that can shoot the 3 or at least has a vast array of post moves.

im not talking about temporary winning with randolph and another weak playoff run, im talking about giving wallace the green light to get talent and that his main objective every day is to be as active as possible to find any and every deal we could possibly do with gasol, rudy and mayo more or less off the table (depending on the deal of course).

obviously i understand mayo is going to take more than 1 quarter. i dont remember placing any blame on him.

flat out, more talent that fits our goals in weak positions and the bench will result in more wins which may also include more talent at the coaching position.

its hard to argue right now we could even get more talent than oj as it appears he's over flowing with it.

again, the idea that we dont need to bring anybody in is stupid. sorry, but it really is.

ill remind that the 3yp is actually the 2YP now and if you think this team as is, will be set in 2 years you need to come off your OJ high.

really?

i didnt realize the celtics drafted KG, Allen or Posey. odd. or that the Lakers drafted bryant, gasol or fisher.

no we're not a large market but if you expect to win just on OJs back you can go talk to AI about his time in philly or pierce about this time in boston until all that UNDRAFTED talent filled the lockers next to him

we need more talent in various places. the end.

You did not read what I said. I said we don't need more talent, MORE than we need to develop the talent we got. Much different.

Question: how are we to obtain this said talent that you want so bad? Besides the draft.

My idea is that we develop Rudy and OJ and Marc, rather than trade them for DIFFERENT TALENT.

The point is, every team since at least 1980, except for Boston last year and Detroit one year, has DRAFTED their superstar to win the championship. Yes the lakers brought in shaq but even then the lakers had kobe and miami had dwade. This is since 1980. You don't win a championship unless you draft a superstar. I challenge you to show me different.

As far as Bryant is concerned he was a laker pick all along. He never played for anybody but the lakers. As far as boston is concerned, they got lucky that 2 very good players were available.

Am i saying don't pick up lebron if he is available, hell no. I am just smart enough to know that the grizzlies have no shot at lebron.

We need talent, plain and simple. We are not set at the PG spot because on a good night, both og our PGs together average what DJ Augustine averages. Arthur might be our PF of the future, but not in the forseeable future. Our frontline of Gasol and Darko can play against slower centers and hold their own, but athletic frontines like the Hornets and Bobcats give us problems. Our bench is inconsistent. Ross hasn't played well since we signed him for the rest of the year. Hak is up and down. Buckner should not see the court.

We don't have enough shooters to run what Ivy wants to run. That's why he went to Wallace about acquring some shooters. Teams are gonna choose to shut down either Rudy or OJ. When they give the ball up, we have to have the personnel to score the ball.

We need talent, plain and simple. We are not set at the PG spot because on a good night, both og our PGs together average what DJ Augustine averages. Arthur might be our PF of the future, but not in the forseeable future. Our frontline of Gasol and Darko can play against slower centers and hold their own, but athletic frontines like the Hornets and Bobcats give us problems. Our bench is inconsistent. Ross hasn't played well since we signed him for the rest of the year. Hak is up and down. Buckner should not see the court.

We don't have enough shooters to run what Ivy wants to run. That's why he went to Wallace about acquring some shooters. Teams are gonna choose to shut down either Rudy or OJ. When they give the ball up, we have to have the personnel to score the ball.

How do we get it? Simple question.

You guys act like I am against talent. All I am saying is that, if you look at our current team and deduce that we need more talent based on whatever criteria you can come up with, you are wrong. We are not winning, not because we don't have the talent to win, but because we are a young team.

Well I hear you say, because we are losing we need to blow it up. If I am putting words in your mouth, what then? How do we acquire more talent then? With Conely, with Hak?

Who do we trade? How much of an upgrade does hak get us? How much does Conely? Nominal if you ask me.

Who do we trade? Say conley and I'll ask you how much of an upgrade would we get trading him. Nominal if you ask me.

How about If I say Conley ... FIRST you ask -> for WHO ???

THEN ... you can decide if it is nominal or not ... ;)