Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GrizzledGrizzFan

Toine anticipating buyout to come Monday

HPTMatt    0

well, we can still look to trade and take on salary if needed, since we're under the cap right now even counting his salary.

Bye-bye Toine, we hardly even wondered if we knew ye.

HPTMatt    0

I'd say that this also ups the likelihood that we keep Miles the whole season, unless we try to catch some of that famous bottled lightning by signing some chump if we release Miles on Jan. 4 or 7 or whenever. A team can only run with 12 for two weeks, right?

Zack    0

so much for all that "i'm not taking a paycut" talk that walker gave about he was taking all the money on his contract and not agreeing to a lower amount for a buyout....

kfilament    0
Certified.

double certified, if its not this much then he should be kept until the trading deadline to be used as filler in a trade as an expiring. I dont really understand this move, but like i said, i trust wallace and like what he has done so far, so go head on.

Zack    0
If it's not at least a 50% reduction for the buyout, then this is a dumb move.

i'm guessing it won't be 50%......

I don't understand...how does this benefit the organization in any way?

Are we saying don't block a trade to us because we'll buy you out if you're not happy?

His cap hit is still in play until the end of the year, right? So why limit your options?

I gots lotsa questions and few answers here.

One can only hope this means they are clearing space for some as-yet-announced move before the trade deadline.

Spartacus    0

In regards to Tillery's post endorsing the buyout, I said this on the blog, but it bears repeating here.

I don't understand the idea that "Walker deserves a buyout" because he's been a "good soldier" and hasn't ruffled any feathers. He got a ring with Miami, so that excuse is null and void. He's getting paid $9 million to sit around in a very nicely tailored suit while in Memphis. If the trade deadline comes and goes and he's still here, then I don't have a problem with a buyout. I just don't understand the logic in giving away a potentially valuable trade piece prior to that, though. After all, last year a $9 million expiring contract got you a Pau Gasol.

Zack    0

i think the chance of us trading an expiring contract for an existing player who is in contract beyond this year is slim to none.....

that is why a buyout will come....we have no expectation to us walkers expiring contract in a trade.......

and if he will agree to give some money back to heisley, that just fits our M.O........saving money......

In regards to Tillery's post endorsing the buyout, I said this on the blog, but it bears repeating here.

I don't understand the idea that "Walker deserves a buyout" because he's been a "good soldier" and hasn't ruffled any feathers. He got a ring with Miami, so that excuse is null and void. He's getting paid $9 million to sit around in a very nicely tailored suit while in Memphis. If the trade deadline comes and goes and he's still here, then I don't have a problem with a buyout. I just don't understand the logic in giving away a potentially valuable trade piece prior to that, though. After all, last year a $9 million expiring contract got you a Pau Gasol.

So what has Walker done to deserve sitting on the bench and not playing?

By all accounts Antoine has been very encouraging to the kids on the team and has worked full force at practice. He has done everything right. He did not act like Marbury and he deserves a lot more respect then what we as an organization has been giving him.

Would have been easier if we had just let him play from the start. It is very suspicious what went down and how it went down from the start.

i think the chance of us trading an expiring contract for an existing player who is in contract beyond this year is slim to none.....

that is why a buyout will come....we have no expectation to us walkers expiring contract in a trade.......

I would have to agree with this line of thinking. I really don't feel there are any realistic trade possibilities out there and I do think the Grizz have been trying. That's my opinion though.

Tillery updated his blog with this little comment:

And let’s be clear on this: THE GRIZ HAD NO TRADE OPPORTUNITIES INVOLVING WALKER NOR WOULD THEY HAVE RECEIVED ANY WORTHWHILE BY THE FEBRUARY TRADE DEADLINE.

An informed source also said Walker will receive about 95 percent of his salary.

I tend to agree with this not because Tillery is saying it but because that is the most logical scenario.

GF#1    0
Most likely Tillery is correct - HOWEVER, how many would have expected the likes of Pau being available for what he was had for?

That's the point.

You cannot tell months ahead of time what will and will not be available at a certain time.

What benefit do the Grizzlies get in buying him out tomorrow? What is the difference in right now and February? Nothing. Other than the fact that there is the POTENTIAL of getting some kind of value for Walker at the deadline.

Why sacrifice a potential asset so soon when there is nothing at all to gain?

MemphisX    0
That's the point.

You cannot tell months ahead of time what will and will not be available at a certain time.

What benefit do the Grizzlies get in buying him out tomorrow? What is the difference in right now and February? Nothing. Other than the fact that there is the POTENTIAL of getting some kind of value for Walker at the deadline.

Why sacrifice a potential asset so soon when there is nothing at all to gain?

...because Toine is essentially going to pay Darius Miles salary.

Spartacus    0
Most likely Tillery is correct - HOWEVER, how many would have expected the likes of Pau being available for what he was had for?

You think that all CAPS point from Tillery might have been directed at someone in particular? ;)

You think that all CAPS point from Tillery might have been directed at someone in particular? ;)

I shot him a response tonight :) Ron gets his feathers ruffled and jumps on his high horse waaaaaaay too easily.

kfilament    0

this is stupid...

who knows if we will be offered anything before feb. If we pay him 95% of his salary its the first bone head move by CW. Toine doeesnt deserve to be bought out b/c he didnt pull a starbury, it sets a dangerous precident. its so stupid....

kfilament    0

so RON RON has AGAIN (for the what, 5th time now) has in some form (radio, blog, CA) stated that the walker buyout is HAPPENING TODAY!!!!!! i guess he figures if he keeps reporting that it is close to happenign then one time he will actually be right...I wonder what the hold up is?? Gotta be a money thing, hopefully we are not paying him more than 50%.

chipc3    0
so RON RON has AGAIN (for the what, 5th time now) has in some form (radio, blog, CA) stated that the walker buyout is HAPPENING TODAY!!!!!! i guess he figures if he keeps reporting that it is close to happenign then one time he will actually be right...I wonder what the hold up is?? Gotta be a money thing, hopefully we are not paying him more than 50%.

After talking to Chris Wallace I can tell you that Ron is correct. The hold up involves the negotiations. Walker doesn't want to leave a single dollar on the table by taking this buyout but he isn't negotiating with Chris Wallace. He is negotiation with Stan Meadows, Michael Heisley's attorney. Meadows never allows Heisley to pay one penny more than he needs to. It's a classic battle of wills and I don't expect either side to make it easy on the other side.

You can find out more by reading our blog titled 'Explaining Walker and Miles.'

Walker can rot on the bench then. He should have to give something to get his freedom. The whole "won't leave a dollar on the table" argument is laughable. He can make up whatever reduction is negotiated when he signs with another team. That is, unless he can't cut it with another team...