Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest truebluememphian

Does any one think Rudy is soft?

Guest truebluememphian aka OJ for MAYO   

Rudy doesn't seem to drive at all. Given his size you think he would want to drive. Shooting is cool but it's better to have a mix. Rudy doesn't really seem to be very effective at anything but shooting and getting fast break dunks.

Well_Pete    0

i would like to see rudy get to the line more.

he does need to take it in the lane and get contact, he would be much more effective.

he has had a disappointing year so far.

Allen    0

I just think his pre draft question marks that caused him to drop to the 8th spot are starting to show up.

Maybe he needs someone like KG to upset him like Glen Davis.

HPTMatt    0
I just think his pre draft question marks that caused him to drop to the 8th spot are starting to show up.

+1.

"sleepwalking" is the term I like.

Sometimes, he's asking for the ball...sometimes, I think he thinks grass has to grow on the court before he can move.

And DANG, Rudy. Where'd you get the idea that you could leave Peja on the perimeter to go "help"????

HPTMatt    0

I also think Rudy is getting a bit prima donna-"I deserve to be on a better team". He hasn't shown anyone that he can lead a team, except in eye-rolls and palms-up gestures to the sideline.

Is Rudy a selfish cancer?

...slinking off to think about that....and hope it's not true...but Wallace said on Verno that he knows Rudy's frustrated about not getting the ball for big shots as much, in pressure situations, etc...

Hey, Rudy, OJ shows his heart (on offense, anyway)...time for you to do the same....

J.Buckets    0

Rudy wants to win. If it were me, I would be doing alot more than rolling my eyes. It is frustration, don't take it personally.

As for the question, I think Rudy has such a reliable jumper that he can get off over just about anyone, he doesn't have to drive as much. I would love for him to be just as dangerous slashing to the rim, but that just isn't his game right now. All of our guys need a real coach, before they take too many steps backwards.

redeye    0

Like a soft fluffy cloud of used tampons,Like 100.000 crushed smurfs.Like Carebears with their heads cut off.Like Pat Boone trying to do metal.Yea he defines soft in his play and his I don't care attitude.

SC Grizz    0

This is stupid.

Do we need to make a new thread that bashes Rudy Gay (our best, most experienced player) after every loss?

If I were Rudy I wouldn't want to stay here and play for this team. After every bad game the few "loyal" fans this team has are calling for his head saying he makes stupid decisions, is lazy, soft, etc. Give me a break. We played the Hornets last night. Also known as one of the better teams in the West - is anyone really surprised we got our ***** handed to us?

We were down 21 after the first quarter, do you honestly think any of our guys were giving 100% after opening the game like that?

rudy has lost all confidence in ivy. that is what i see. i don't see anything but a lack of belief in what is going on out there..

one small angle here:

from a coaching standpoint, why not go to rudy on the box in the half-court?

he had tremendous success the first game of the year against ronny artest. if he can dominate him in the post, come on.

ivy seems to just stick with the motion offense, that, oh by the way, aint moving.

no off the ball movement from anywhere.

that is probably two things- lack of proper coaching and players not buying in.

rudy is fine. he needs to understand that there are better ways to vent your frustration to the mgmt than on the court.

slim.

dgause    0

Outside of Gasol and Mayo, this entire team AND the coaching staff is soft. Let's not single Rudy out shall we?

Outside of Gasol and Mayo, this entire team AND the coaching staff is soft. Let's not single Rudy out shall we?

There is nothing wrong with criticizing a player (SC Mayoniz).

This is about whether or not Rudy, who was expected to make a jump in production this year, is soft. Not the other players. If I had a question about the other players I might have created a topic asking whether the other players and/or coaching staff was soft (dgause).

Maybe you guys are afraid of criticizing, or as you call it bashing, because you're so desperate to keep the mediocre players we have in hopes that they'll one day turn into great players. (N I)

Without criticism none of us would every ascend to anything better than what we were. Just because you score a lot, does not make you immune from criticism. Would it make some of you better if I criticized every player cause I'm more than able to do so?

Mayo does blow up some defensive plays, turns the ball over sometimes, and occasionally takes too many shots. The difference is that I can live with Mayo doing these things as long as he makes up for it with GOOD PLAYS! I mean Mayo is straight embarrassing fools on the court, which I can assure you the fans definitely appreciate and like to see. It doesn't seem to me, or to some other Gay fans, that Rudy is balancing his mistakes with GOOD PLAYS and/or effort.

It's not like teams are throwing double teams at Rudy either. He seems to settle for jumpers too often (lazy), isn't effectively rebounding (effort), and doesn't create for the other players (selfish). These were all things he supposedly worked on in the off-season, which fans were expecting to see out of him this season. We have yet to see this. I'm not saying he's a bad guy as off the court I'm sure he's like anyone else, but on the court he's not getting it done.

Rudy, the fans want you to be great. The fans want you to be the man. The fans want to be your fans. But all the want in the fans can't get you there unless you want it. Do you want to be a max player or a MLE player?

Lord Gordon    0

Speak brother. True dat.

HPTMatt    0
Did he really say that?

no, no, didn't mean to give that impression. That's my perception of something that he may be thinking, and that's what his actions tell me sometimes.

f-dizzle    0

This is about whether or not Rudy, who was expected to make a jump in production this year, is soft. Not the other players. If I had a question about the other players I might have created a topic asking whether the other players and/or coaching staff was soft (dgause).

Maybe you guys are afraid of criticizing, or as you call it bashing, because you're so desperate to keep the mediocre players we have in hopes that they'll one day turn into great players. (N I)

Without criticism none of us would every ascend to anything better than what we were. Just because you score a lot, does not make you immune from criticism. Would it make some of you better if I criticized every player cause I'm more than able to do so?

Mayo does blow up some defensive plays, turns the ball over sometimes, and occasionally takes too many shots. The difference is that I can live with Mayo doing these things as long as he makes up for it with GOOD PLAYS! I mean Mayo is straight embarrassing fools on the court, which I can assure you the fans definitely appreciate and like to see. It doesn't seem to me, or to some other Gay fans, that Rudy is balancing his mistakes with GOOD PLAYS and/or effort.

It's not like teams are throwing double teams at Rudy either. He seems to settle for jumpers too often (lazy), isn't effectively rebounding (effort), and doesn't create for the other players (selfish). These were all things he supposedly worked on in the off-season, which fans were expecting to see out of him this season. We have yet to see this. I'm not saying he's a bad guy as off the court I'm sure he's like anyone else, but on the court he's not getting it done.

Rudy, the fans want you to be great. The fans want you to be the man. The fans want to be your fans. But all the want in the fans can't get you there unless you want it. Do you want to be a max player or a MLE player?

In this offense, Rudy is placed on the perimeter. By the time the ball is in his hands, we only have 5 seconds left on the clock and most of the times he forces a shot. When his shot is on, like it was against the Clips, I hear no complaints. But against a premier team, they exploit what the Grizz wanna do on offense. Rudy has lost more in the past 3 years than anybody in the NBA, and it's foolish to think that he won't have bad nights. However, Rudy has to do better on defense. The first couple of games, Rudy played excellent defense. It seems we went away from our defense. Our problems is we have no SHOOTERS. Besides Mayo and Gay we have no one who can SHOOT the **** ball. IVY is right. A SHOOTER would take pressure off of Mayo and Gay to score so much. Right now, we can't afford for Rudy to have one off night. You see the result. Lebron only scored 11 points the other night, but he has teammates who can put the ball in the **** hoop.

HPTMatt    0

however, from this morning's CA:

"'All I’m saying is it’s a team effort,' said Gay, who didn’t return mainly because the Griz were down by 20 points most of the third, and trailed 90-61 heading into the final frame."

This was apparently his response when asked about being yanked in the third after giving up two consecutive 3's to Peja.

I am growing more confident by the minute that the problem is Rudy and his relationship with Iavaroni. Who will the organization choose?

BnaBreaker    0
no, no, didn't mean to give that impression. That's my perception of something that he may be thinking, and that's what his actions tell me sometimes.

Ahhhh, gotcha.

SC Grizz    0

I agree. I just think it is stupid, not wrong. Last night Rudy played 21 minutes, compared to his season average of 37, and only scored 6 points in a game that was over by the half-way point of the first quarter. I mean, are you serious? Did you watch that game? In case you didn't let me point out some other stats.

Peja hit 6 of 10, and 5 of 7 were 3s. West was 7 for 9. Paul was 8 for 11. Posey hit 2 of 3. The only guys who you could even say were "off" were Tyson Chandler, Mo-Pete, and Devin Brown.

While Rudy didn't have the best game of his life, after coming off a great performance (and win) the night before, neither did Mayo, Arthur, or Conley. Q. Ross was absolute garbage out there last night. The only guy on our team who played well was Gasol, so there is really quite a lot of blame to go around.

It's not like teams are throwing double teams at Rudy either. He seems to settle for jumpers too often (lazy), isn't effectively rebounding (effort), and doesn't create for the other players (selfish). These were all things he supposedly worked on in the off-season, which fans were expecting to see out of him this season.

Teams ARE double-teaming him as soon as he starts to try and penetrate, and I hate to break it to you but it isn't like Rudy has handles like D-Wade or Kobe. He will get the ball ripped 5 times out of ten if he tries to dribble drive through a double team. He does try to create shots for other players, but as you might be able to gather from the lack of people on our team 1) hitting shots, or 2) running any sort of plays to get open looks at shots his numbers are always going to be low. I mean our "starting" point guard had 3 assists last night.

Mike Conley is #1 in assists on our team, and he is #50 in the league in assists. To me that points to the offensive frameworks that the players are working in, and not so much the players themselves.

I agree. I just think it is stupid, not wrong. Last night Rudy played 21 minutes, compared to his season average of 37, and only scored 6 points in a game that was over by the half-way point of the first quarter. I mean, are you serious? Did you watch that game? In case you didn't let me point out some other stats.

Peja hit 6 of 10, and 5 of 7 were 3s. West was 7 for 9. Paul was 8 for 11. Posey hit 2 of 3. The only guys who you could even say were "off" were Tyson Chandler, Mo-Pete, and Devin Brown.

While Rudy didn't have the best game of his life, after coming off a great performance (and win) the night before, neither did Mayo, Arthur, or Conley. Q. Ross was absolute garbage out there last night. The only guy on our team who played well was Gasol, so there is really quite a lot of blame to go around.

Teams ARE double-teaming him as soon as he starts to try and penetrate, and I hate to break it to you but it isn't like Rudy has handles like D-Wade or Kobe. He will get the ball ripped 5 times out of ten if he tries to dribble drive through a double team. He does try to create shots for other players, but as you might be able to gather from the combined lack of minutes and lack of people on our team 1) hitting shots, or 2) running any sort of plays to get open looks at shots his numbers are always going to be low. I mean our "starting" point guard had 3 assists last night.

Mike Conley is #1 in assists on our team, and he is #50 in the league in assists. To me that points to the offensive frameworks that the players are working in, and not so much the players themselves.

The grizzlies were only down by 20 at the half so the game was not over. The Hornets were shooting well but that's because they get a lot of open shots as a result of the grizzlies always being out of place on defense. You don't have to tell me or anyone else on these boards that Rudy doesn't have handles, but that doesn't mean he can't slash to the goal?! This is about way more than last night's game, or stats, and because I do watch the games in the house and at my home, it's not "stupid" to comment on what I would say is an underachieving effort on the court.

This was not a "great" performance against the Clippers. When D-Wade gets 26 pts 11 ast and 6 rebs versus the clippers, I would say that was a great night.

My point is Rudy has not made a leap so far, and it doesn't look like he is going to soon. I'm not casting all or even most of the blame on Rudy. But the players don't seem very confident.

MemphisX    0
rudy has lost all confidence in ivy. that is what i see. i don't see anything but a lack of belief in what is going on out there..

one small angle here:

from a coaching standpoint, why not go to rudy on the box in the half-court?

he had tremendous success the first game of the year against ronny artest. if he can dominate him in the post, come on.

ivy seems to just stick with the motion offense, that, oh by the way, aint moving.

no off the ball movement from anywhere.

that is probably two things- lack of proper coaching and players not buying in.

rudy is fine. he needs to understand that there are better ways to vent your frustration to the mgmt than on the court.

slim.

Post up Rudy? Slim, why do that when we can chuck up step back 3 pointers?