Sign in to follow this  
Grizzled Vet

The 2018 Free Agents

Grizzlies free agents: Tyreke, Mario, Brice Johnson (Andrew Harrison's is not guaranteed yet)

Available free agents (besides already mentioned Grizzlies):

Guards: KCP, Will Barton, Wes Matthews, Patrick McCaw (RFA), Seth Curry, Wayne Ellington, Tony Allen, Rondo, Avery Bradley, Corey Brewer, Nick Young, Devin Harris, Mario Hezonja, MCW, Nik Stauskas (RFA), Jarrett Jack, Jason Terry, Arron Afflalo, Jose Calderon, Ray Felton, Jameer Nelson, Aaron Brooks, OJ Mayo (Pending approval), Derrick Rose, Tim Frazier, Ian Clark, Shane Larkin, Gerald Green, Trey Burke, Joe Johnson, Marco Belinelli, Rashad Vaughn, Sheldon Mac, Quincy Pondexter, Toney Douglass

Forwards/Centers: Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Trevor Ariza, Rudy Gay (PO), Wilson Chandler (PO), Jeff Green, Ersan Ilyasova, Brook Lopez, Dewayne Dedmon (PO), Greg Monroe, Nerlens Noel, Jahlil Okafor, Amir Johnson, Trevor Booker, Vince Carter, Channing Frye, Easy Ed Davis, Aron Baynes, Alex Len, Zaza, Tarik Black, Anthony Tolliver, James Ennis, Dougie McBuckets (RFA), **** Jefferson, Dante Cunningham, Mo Speights, JaVale, Michael Beasley, Omri Casspi, Luke Babbitt, Quincy Acy, Willie Reed, Jordan Mickey, Chris McCullough,  Josh McRoberts, Georgios Papagiannis

Chris Wallace special: Jabari Parker (RFA with bad knees), Jeremy Lin (PO)

Restricted, and realistically not attainable: Aaron Gordon, Clint Capela, Zach LaVine, Rodney Hood, Julius Randle, Marcus Smart, Elfrid Payton, Kyle Anderson, Jusuf Nurkic, Dante Exum, Nemanja Bjelica, plus a bunch of other guys

Free agents available, but not affordable/attainable, but for those who like to keep track: LeBron, Durant, DeMarcus, Chris Paul George, Isaiah Thomas,  DeAndre Jordan, Carmelo, Mirotic, Enes Kanter, Derrick Favors, DWade, JJ Reddick, Danny Green, Tony Parker, Thaddeus Young (PO), Dirk, David West

Guys I hate that I have to list somewhere: Austin Rivers (PO)

Always available: Cash Considerations

Feel free to make additions or corrections. Someone like KCP is probably not attainable, but I had already put him on that list.

Meh. For the next few years we should just fill the roster out with a couple scrubs and wait until Parson and Gasol are off the books.

Wallace will probably throw the full MLE at Wes Mattrews and trade our lottery pick and Parsons for Faried and Wilson Chandler though

The problem is the grizzlies have too many older guys. We are half in and half out. I would not mind moving on from Marc, but the problem is that the front office isn't going to do what I want them to do so I don't know.

They are going to draft a player that fits with Marc and Mike, instead of fitting with Rabb and Brooks, and that's a problem. 

2 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The problem is the grizzlies have too many older guys. We are half in and half out. I would not mind moving on from Marc, but the problem is that the front office isn't going to do what I want them to do so I don't know.

They are going to draft a player that fits with Marc and Mike, instead of fitting with Rabb and Brooks, and that's a problem. 

Dude you've been arguing the opposite for years lol

Really depends who we draft but targets should come cheap. Should be lookin for a Mclemore replacement (Clark, Stauskas, even TA to retire...) and another big (Baynes, Mo Baby, Tarik Black, Motiejunas maybe?)

But yea the #1 guy from that list is the first name on it.

edit: did u add an extra S on Toney Douglas on purpose? lolololol. He was bad but not as bad as Harrison n Baldwin were.

2 hours ago, Allen said:

Dude you've been arguing the opposite for years lol

When I started looking at the rebuild that I am interested in, Marc doesn't fit that. Meaning, that we start with what we have: brooks, Rabb, Harrison and we make them our core with the intent of keeping them for the long haul and building around them with Bamba in the draft.

I just think that moving marc makes it clearer what we are doing. But I wouldn't really want to move him for anybody. Before Brogdon got hurt, I would have moved him for him.

I also think having too many options hinders a rebuild. Meaning that giving the grizzlies too many first round picks makes it harder for them, not the other way around, because they will probably try to replace one of the pieces that I think should be developed, mainly rabb or harrison.

Also, if the grizzlies didn't have parsons, I think it might be easier to see a future with Marc on the team. I just don't like the core pieces around Mike and Marc right now, and Marc is too much of a position defender to really turn the grizzlies into an elite defender, nor does he rebound enough. So, yeah. Marc is a good player but he needs a lot of help to fit into a championship team and nobody around him can really help him like zbo did.

I believe it depends on what direction we are going in...right now we have no clue what direction we are headed in..

Rebuilding mode I think we let Tyreke, Mario, and Brice Johnson walk next season. Sign Andrew Harrison, he has shown that he is more than a capable NBA player and is versatile and can play PG or SG. I would also think we are look to trade Marc for expiring contracts and cap space. Trade or waive Mac

If we are trying to just improve the team I think we should sign Derrick Rose now, see what he has and if it's something then give him a 2 year deal after next season..he would be cheap and is a low risk, high reward. Re-sign Tyreke Evans, Re-sign Harrison. Trade or waive Mac. hard to tell what we get in the draft and what position we will get now since we are not trying to tank. Let Mario, and Johnson walk. 

This roster would give us a extra spot for our draft pick. Then some room to develop. 

Conley/ Rose/ Harrison

Evans/ Selden

Parsons/ Brooks

Green/ Martin

Gasol/ Davis/ Rabb

I wonder if any big names move on draft night.  Could be a BIG draft.  Lots of highly touted players with a bunch of teams (probably) wanting to move up.  Or, maybe down for multiple assets.  

I would consider shopping Marc Gasol on draft night.  If we can move him in a great package (or do a sign and trade with Tyreke) then we can go 100% on a rebuild.  Trade Conley sometime next season when he gets healthy and stretch Parsons.  Can't give the dude away, and he still might be a solid stretch 4 off the bench for us.  

Bottom line: we need to NAIL the draft.  Although I am not sure we will.  But, even if we don't get the IDEAL player we should get a really, really good one.

Avery Bradley(probably out of price range) and Tyreke would be my top 2 targets with the MLE. I really like Will Barton too. Dante Cunningham is also a guy I loved when he was here, wouldn't mind throwing a minimum contract at him. 

3 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Our free agency is complete: Tyreke Evans

It has to be.

If Wallace or GM Marc don't get it done there will be blood on the streets following the war cry, "we told you so."

15 hours ago, Ethan7 said:

Avery Bradley(probably out of price range) and Tyreke would be my top 2 targets with the MLE. I really like Will Barton too. Dante Cunningham is also a guy I loved when he was here, wouldn't mind throwing a minimum contract at him. 

Avery Bradley is the new Jeff Green- tons of hype yet his teams keep performing better when he is not on the court. Count me out on Bradley. Although you are right- he will be out of our price range.

The team will try to use it's MLE on Tyreke. I don't think it will be enough. My next target is the same as you, Will Barton. Unfortunately, I don't think the MLE gets him either. 

My next target would be Mario Hezonja. The problem with Hezonja is I'd want to see him keep up his recent play for the rest of the year before I'd offer him. Of course, if he keeps playing like he has the last eight games (super small sample size) the rest of the season, he may get offers that are more than the MLE. If he can't keep up the play, I wouldn't be interested.

Regardless, no way I sign a free agent coming off an injury (I'm jaded) or over the age of 28.

No way Denver doesnt offer 8 digits plus for Will Barton and then other teams. He is electric. And is playing 3 positions for them.

19 minutes ago, Dwash said:

No way Denver doesnt offer 8 digits plus for Will Barton and then other teams. He is electric. And is playing 3 positions for them.

I agree with this, especially since Denver has his Bird rights. Probably at least the first 4 listed there are out of the Grizzlies price range (KCP, Will Barton, Wes Matthews, Patrick McCaw).

I will add this, however, Denver as it stands right now, has less cap space (until they renounce potential free agents).

While I am somewhat interested in McCaw, there isn't anything about him/his game that makes me so interested I would offer a number that Golden State wouldn't match. Given his horrendous shooting, for me, anything over $3-4 million would be an overpay. Given how much other players on Golden State make, I can't see them not keeping a guy that is young and barely making more than a rookie scale deal.

On 2/13/2018 at 2:28 PM, Kevin B Moses said:

Yeah, that would be BAD -- considering that, like you, I am intrigued by Mo Bamba.  Then Ayton would ALSO be competing with Marc.  Trae Young (or Collin Sexton) would give Mike Conley, Jr. direct competition.  Then unless we get Porter, Jr., or Mikal Bridges LATE (if we can't even LOSE right, and if Mikal moves up the draft board) then I don't really like the available wings players like Kevin Knox, Miles Bridges (more of a small ball four, or a dreaded "tweener"), and even Luka Doncic.

We need to think of this upcoming pick as THE GUY we build around.  

On 2/13/2018 at 2:16 PM, MemphisX said:

Our free agency is complete: Tyreke Evans

I read an article this morning that he always wanted to stay in Memphis- Maybe we can grab him. I am not going to lie, the thought of conley evans and gasol being on the floor together presumably with a top 5 pick does have me pretty stoked. 

Our number one guy for next year: Whoever we draft in June.  Dillon Brooks is a future core guy, either as a 2nd or 3rd option or as a super-sub 6th man.  Our OTHER top guys: hopefully AT LEAST one of Rabb, Davis, or J Mart.  MAYBE Andrew Harrison.  Then, whatever you can get for Marc and Mike.  IF we can't trade Parsons, you can stretch him, BUT if you don't resign Tyreke, then it's ok to have one bad contract (Parsons) since it expires within a few years -- plus, you have to spend SOME MONEY with only Jam Green being a guy who is getting much more than an MLE or rookie contract money.  

Executive summary: Focusing on the draft is job number 1.  Job number 2 (it's a dirty job but somebody's gotta do it) is to MOVE Marc and Mike -- or at the very least do some heavy shopping... 3: have a number in mind for Tyreke.  If you are willing to pay him a certain amount, don't pay him a dollar more.  Maybe we even do a sign and trade on draft night.  4: go after free agents AFTER the free agent market crashes.  Then fill out the bench with Moneyball second contract types.

11 minutes ago, Memphisyank said:

I read an article this morning that he always wanted to stay in Memphis- Maybe we can grab him. I am not going to lie, the thought of conley evans and gasol being on the floor together presumably with a top 5 pick does have me pretty stoked. 

That might be the ONLY scenario where we keep the Core Horsemen (Marc and Mike).  We won't have our first rounder either in 2019 or 2020 so this might be a really good BEST CASE SCENARIO (even if not ideal mid-term or long-term).  After that, I would like to see Jam Green off the roster, preferably Parsons, but I wouldn't mind stretching Parsons out so we can get an MLE guy in the next few years if we need to.  Best case scenario: get a great complement for Mike/Marc/Tyreke in the draft, with Dillon Brooks being the fifth guy. 

Chandler Parsons then becomes our stretch four off the bench (while at the same time not hindering the development of Rabb, J Mart, and Deyonta Davis). 

So, Jam Green might be the odd man out, especially if we draft a power forward like Marvin Bagley, III, Jaren Jackson, Jr., or Wendell Carter, Jr.  

2 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

That might be the ONLY scenario where we keep the Core Horsemen (Marc and Mike).  We won't have our first rounder either in 2019 or 2020 so this might be a really good BEST CASE SCENARIO (even if not ideal mid-term or long-term).  After that, I would like to see Jam Green off the roster, preferably Parsons, but I wouldn't mind stretching Parsons out so we can get an MLE guy in the next few years if we need to.  Best case scenario: get a great complement for Mike/Marc/Tyreke in the draft, with Dillon Brooks being the fifth guy. 

Chandler Parsons then becomes our stretch four off the bench (while at the same time not hindering the development of Rabb, J Mart, and Deyonta Davis). 

So, Jam Green might be the odd man out, especially if we draft a power forward like Marvin Bagley, III, Jaren Jackson, Jr., or Wendell Carter, Jr.  

If the FO or Pera were REALLY REALLY comitted to seriously improving the Grizzlies VERY QUICKLY, then 1st action would be to stretch or waive Parson. But giving away $48mil is understandably not a realistic proposition. But anyone hoping he will magically rehabilitate and be productive is dreaming.

I wouldnt have resigned Green if he didnt want to take the initial offer, but the FO panicked because Fizdale didnt want Zbo, and Martin was going to get cut. There were other servicable PF who could have been had for less money. The FO was probably also banking on Parsons being active and getting mins @PF.

I understand people wanna move Marc at draft time if they can get a generational pick in the draft, and that may still happen. But the biggest problem is Parsons, and while Green is small change in comparison, thats another move that needs to be made with priority.

2 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

If the FO or Pera were REALLY REALLY comitted to seriously improving the Grizzlies VERY QUICKLY, then 1st action would be to stretch or waive Parson. But giving away $48mil is understandably not a realistic proposition. But anyone hoping he will magically rehabilitate and be productive is dreaming.

I wouldnt have resigned Green if he didnt want to take the initial offer, but the FO panicked because Fizdale didnt want Zbo, and Martin was going to get cut. There were other servicable PF who could have been had for less money. The FO was probably also banking on Parsons being active and getting mins @PF.

I understand people wanna move Marc at draft time if they can get a generational pick in the draft, and that may still happen. But the biggest problem is Parsons, and while Green is small change in comparison, thats another move that needs to be made with priority.

I would not mind if we moved Marc, but seriously how many real stars are in this draft? I like Bama, a lot, but if I were to move Marc, I'd probably be more comfortable taking a flier on Malcolm Brogdon and a first round pick.

I really want a high character guy. I think maybe miles bridges can be Brogdon 2.0, as far as a good character guy with talent. In other words, character is more important to me than talent. I want talent, but I want character more. 

1 minute ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I would not mind if we moved Marc, but seriously how many real stars are in this draft? I like Bama, a lot, but if I were to move Marc, I'd probably be more comfortable taking a flier on Malcolm Brogdon and a first round pick.

I really want a high character guy. I think maybe miles bridges can be Brogdon 2.0, as far as a good character guy with talent. In other words, character is more important to me than talent. I want talent, but I want character more. 

Yes character is important, especially for our team, and our city.